Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Drumpot wrote: »
    Wasn’t ADM also Madrid’s MVP in their CL win just before we bought him?

I believe so, I was thinking the same while posting but couldn't narrow it down to the CL MVP.

3 goals & 4 assists in his first 6 league games for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Rock77 wrote: »
    The joke is on them!!! Errrr...

Haha, just an example of fickle fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Fergie ringing Darren Fletcher and cursing over the phone to him as he was opting for Newcastle over United at 15.
    "I'm 15, just chalk-white and he's f'ing and giving it to me down the phone. My mum sees me and grabs the phone and listens for a few seconds and goes, 'don't speak to my son like that ever again', and slams the phone down."

Great story

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-legends-funny-sir-alex-ferguson-swore-at-a-15-year-old-darren-fletcher-20200508

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Wasn’t ADM also Madrid’s MVP in their CL win just before we bought him?

Don’t remember him fondly for obvious reasons but he had some abiliy. Up to that Leicester game it looked very promising.

Am I right in saying he was playing more centrally though, im almost sure he'd had a cracking season playing as part of a 3 in the centre but I could be losing the plot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

duffman13 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying he was playing more centrally though, im almost sure he'd had a cracking season playing as part of a 3 in the centre but I could be losing the plot

Honestly can’t remember, him being MVP in the CL was the first thing I thought when he signed for us, that’s all I remember.

That Madrid side had ronaldo, benzema, Di Maria , Isco, modric and alonso . 4-3-3 was prob played quite often I imagine but the quality of those lads would facilitate rotating roles so there is possibly something to what you remember.

Didn’t Van Gaal once change tactics to prove a point and we had like 30 crosses in one game that were effectively useless? Did I imagine that or did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great read.
    Good YouTube clip as well of Keane playing for Forest V Portsmouth

https://www.the42.ie/alfie-hale-on-roy-keane-5094452-May2020/

Honestly can’t remember, him being MVP in the CL was the first thing I thought when he signed for us, that’s all I remember.

That Madrid side had ronaldo, benzema, Di Maria , Isco, modric and alonso . 4-3-3 was prob played quite often I imagine but the quality of those lads would facilitate rotating roles so there is possibly something to what you remember.

Didn’t Van Gaal once change tactics to prove a point and we had like 30 crosses in one game that were effectively useless? Did I imagine that or did it happen?

According to Wiki
    Due to tactical decisions by the club's new manager Carlo Ancelotti, Di María's playing position was permanently switched to that of an offensive–minded central midfielder, and he was frequently deployed in the starting line-up alongside Luka Modrić and Xabi Alonso in midfield in the team's 4–3–3 formation.[34] He contributed to the club's 1–2 victory over Barcelona in the 2014 Copa del Rey Finalwith the opening goal.[35] Di María was the top assist maker in La Liga for the season, contributing 17

I'm not sure on the crosses thing. I always think of Fulham when we banged in like 80 crosses under Moyes. I do recall LVG, shortly after converting Young to a full back, saying he was also a back up Centre forward.

The last 7 years have been mad

According to Wiki
    Due to tactical decisions by the club's new manager Carlo Ancelotti, Di María's playing position was permanently switched to that of an offensive–minded central midfielder, and he was frequently deployed in the starting line-up alongside Luka Modrić and Xabi Alonso in midfield in the team's 4–3–3 formation.[34] He contributed to the club's 1–2 victory over Barcelona in the 2014 Copa del Rey Finalwith the opening goal.[35] Di María was the top assist maker in La Liga for the season, contributing 17

I'm not sure on the crosses thing. I always think of Fulham when we banged in like 80 crosses under Moyes. I do recall LVG, shortly after converting Young to a full back, saying he was also a back up Centre forward.

The last 7 years have been mad

Maybe it was Moyes and I’ve confused him with one of LVGs rants after a game...

7 years of mostly just massive disappointment and forgettable like you said. I remember being at SAF last game in OT against West Ham. Just hasn’t been the same, not just for success reasons, but he was really the beating heart of the club for so long it’s just been a rudderless mess since then with not much redeemable about the squad or how it’s been run.

I think I’ve been really angry at the club for an unhealthy length of time, not so much for not winning things but wasting our resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Di Maria isn't a forward and he never was.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Maybe it was Moyes and I’ve confused him with one of LVGs rants after a game...

7 years of mostly just massive disappointment and forgettable like you said. I remember being at SAF last game in OT against West Ham. Just hasn’t been the same, not just for success reasons, but he was really the beating heart of the club for so long it’s just been a rudderless mess since then with not much redeemable about the squad or how it’s been run.

I think I’ve been really angry at the club for an unhealthy length of time, not so much for not winning things but wasting our resources.

Yeah in terms of disillusionment, your not alone there, we've had little to no strategic plans which have meant a huge waste of various resources. I think Fergie played a huge part in representing the club on the public stage and no one who has come in after him has anything like the same aura or respect. I think I was angry, but now a lot of fans have gone passed the point of anger to just sheer resignation and frustration.

On the flip side, I am enjoying seeing some of the younger players getting an opportunity and looking the part. I think the current Covid situation has kinda put things into perspective though in the grand scheme of things

Di Maria isn't a forward and he never was.

I meant a midfield 3 as opposed to the usual winger role most people usually associate him with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

i just picked up on this. all utd fans should be clamoring for the league to finish. i believe they have a great chance of top 4. The only that people who dont want that, is to prevent the pool from winning.

maybe there is an argument that goes as such: utd can absorb losses better than any other club, so they can hold out longer and get better deals (there is that famous case of the american oil company with so much in reserve, they sold at a loss to bleed all their competitors).

i dunno, utd fans should want the league to finish to get into the CL. it should be as simple as that.

I would love to see the league start again from a purely selfish point of view. However, I don't think it should. There's 30k+ (very conservative figure) dead in the UK. Zero community testing done. They are miles behind what Germany have done and are in a position too. To run a football match requires you to have ambulance and emergency staff at football grounds when there are people dying left and right in nursing homes. You will get fans trying to get to games anyway.

The CMO of FIFA says there should be no football till September. Why does he have the job if nobody will take that advise at a time like this?

I just think its selfish, greedy and irresponsible. I also think you risk next season by forcing this season to finish.

I meant a midfield 3 as opposed to the usual winger role most people usually associate him with

———————— Benzema ———————
    Ronaldo — — — Di Maria ————Bale

Yeah in terms of disillusionment, your not alone there, we've had little to no strategic plans which have meant a huge waste of various resources. I think Fergie played a huge part in representing the club on the public stage and no one who has come in after him has anything like the same aura or respect. I think I was angry, but now a lot of fans have gone passed the point of anger to just sheer resignation and frustration.

On the flip side, I am enjoying seeing some of the younger players getting an opportunity and looking the part. I think the current Covid situation has kinda put things into perspective though in the grand scheme of things

I’ve always been cynical of the Ole appointment and really thought it was or may be proven to be a Hail Mary punt from a lost CEO.

But I’d love it if it somehow worked and brought back a bit of pride we could have in this team. We don’t need to win things, just even have a team that can compete (with resources available there really is no excuse) and something to enjoy. Even a Kevin Keegan Newcastle kind of outfit , not this pathetic painful drive for a top 4 spot as if that’s a great achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I’ve always been cynical of the Ole appointment and really thought it was or may be proven to be a Hail Mary punt from a lost CEO.

But I’d love it if it somehow worked and brought back a bit of pride we could have in this team. We don’t need to win things, just even have a team that can compete (with resources available there really is no excuse) and something to enjoy. Even a Kevin Keegan Newcastle kind of outfit , not this pathetic painful drive for a top 4 spot as if that’s a great achievement.

I think we all would, especially with Ole at the helm. I've been vocal against Ole and some of the shambles we'd seen earlier in the season but in all honesty, it'd be great if he somehow turned it around.

Signings he has made in fairness have been good and in Feb/March, it felt as if we may have turned that corner and playing well. McTominay scoring the 2nd v City had me celebrating like mad first time in a while.

Genuinely hope we can continue that recent form when football eventually returns, couple signings might have us somewhat challenging again. Wishful thinking maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

———————— Benzema ———————
    Ronaldo — — — Di Maria ————Bale

ADM played on the right of there 3 man midfield iirc.

They played a type of 433 .He was in the first bank of 3.

yabadabado wrote: »
    ADM played on the left of there 3 man midfield iirc.

They played a type of 433 .He was in the first bank of 3.

With Alonso and Modric?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Just on the season starting again I personally don't care for it. I'm sure there's a part of my sub conscious that's thinking its because of Liverpool winning the league but in general I just want to move onto next season. I'm ambivalent to qualifying for Europe as I don't honestly think we'll see any European competition next season.

Start again in September with proper processes in place to protect every one.

I want to get out into the world for the next few months and not spend it trying to follow football when I never normally do during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I would love to see the league start again from a purely selfish point of view. However, I don't think it should. There's 30k+ (very conservative figure) dead in the UK. Zero community testing done. They are miles behind what Germany have done and are in a position too. To run a football match requires you to have ambulance and emergency staff at football grounds when there are people dying left and right in nursing homes. You will get fans trying to get to games anyway.

The CMO of FIFA says there should be no football till September. Why does he have the job if nobody will take that advise at a time like this?

I just think its selfish, greedy and irresponsible. I also think you risk next season by forcing this season to finish.

Spot on and if anyone has a problem with it blame the UK government, they ****ed up their response. Countries that are slowly getting back to normal earned that right by taking decisive action early.

I think even Ireland will be a few weeks ahead of the UK in opening up again. Not that we've done a stellar job ourselves. I still can't believe how people were going to Cheltenham in March.

With Alonso and Modric?

Thats it.When they played 433 he often played on the right of a 3 with Alonso and Modric.He was the more attacking of the trio ,with Alonso deeper.
    Ronaldo and Bale either side of Benzema in attack.

He was brilliant for Real that last season with them.

• Advertisement

• I would love to see the league start again from a purely selfish point of view. However, I don't think it should. There's 30k+ (very conservative figure) dead in the UK. Zero community testing done. They are miles behind what Germany have done and are in a position too. To run a football match requires you to have ambulance and emergency staff at football grounds when there are people dying left and right in nursing homes. You will get fans trying to get to games anyway.

You got the word greedy spot on. (Rest of your post too is spot on)
    The premier league has shown this greed for all to see in the way it's currently behaving and handling communications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sorry man, I didn't even read your post. I started typing mine in response to someone (Strumms maybe?) posting up goals to game stats and saying Di Maria is heralded as a world class forward or something.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

I just hope they time the return as well as they can and don’t go too soon and make it worse.

That has to be a real fear because of the money involved. It’s never going to be an exact science but you just hope that they use the science first and economics second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Di Maria was in the top 5 players in the world for 2 or 3 seasons, he was pure class when he wanted to be.

• beno619 wrote: »
    Di Maria is more of an old fashioned winger, he creates a **** tone of chances.

3rd most assists in the league with in 11 in 27.

141 goals and 214 assists in 592 appearances.

Dragged Argentina to the world cup final in 2014 and was probably the 3rd best player in the world the summer we signed him.

I very much enjoyed watching him until things fell apart under LVG.

He was the best player on the pitch for Real Madrid in the CL final and that was the season before we signed him if I recall.
    I was honestly buzzing at the time.
    I thought it was a piss take on SSN the time it was brought to light the transfer was happening.
    Shame the way it all fell apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

He was the best player on the pitch for Real Madrid in the CL final and that was the season before we signed him if I recall.
    I was honestly buzzing at the time.
    I thought it was a piss take on SSN the time it was brought to light the transfer was happening.
    Shame the way it all fell apart.

Same could be said for a lot of signed players post Fergie although his one season spell after such an investment made does stick in the throat. Plus he did act the maggot leaving.

• adox wrote: »
    Same could be said for a lot of signed players post Fergie although his one season spell after such an investment made does stick in the throat. Plus he did act the maggot leaving.

I agree here. As a professional I have lost majority of respect for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,002 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Di Maria was in the top 5 players in the world for 2 or 3 seasons, he was pure class when he wanted to be.

It seemed from the outside looking in that he wasn’t really bothered playing for United. He didn’t seem to have a great attitude. He burned his bridges at Madrid too. Though he’s been on record now as saying he never wanted to leave Madrid. It was a row between himself and Florintino Perez that expedited his departure. If i recall correctly his departure was because he was seen as surplus to requirements at United when he didn’t show for a flight to go to a pre season US tour.

Just doesn’t sound like the classiest of professional. He has blamed a break in at his home in Manchester for wanting to leave too. Just get appropriate security measures, you can afford it ffs, a break in is a ****ty thing to happen but most of us with less resources just sûck it up and go to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Was this mentioned already?

Manchester United have made initial enquiries about the possibility of signing Real Valladolid defender Mohammed Salisu this summer. (Manchester Evening News)

He can be got for about €12 million. Despite their league position, Valladolid have a good defensive record and the word is that Ole hasn't faith in Lindelof being the future partner of Maguire in the heart of the defence.

• Advertisement

• https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1259474761626894336?s=19

A bloody shame he probably won't get to play any more games with Utd the way things are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That makes me sad.

Was this mentioned already?

Manchester United have made initial enquiries about the possibility of signing Real Valladolid defender Mohammed Salisu this summer. (Manchester Evening News)

He can be got for about €12 million. Despite their league position, Valladolid have a good defensive record and the word is that Ole hasn't faith in Lindelof being the future partner of Maguire in the heart of the defence.

Can't say I know anything about him but ,if the club have scouted him and are happy then fire away. He's 21 and playing CB regularly in La Liga side.12m is a pittance really nowadays.

Id be hoping if a CB is bought then a few if the current crop will be sold.Overloaded with mediocre CBs at the moment.

It also points to the club looking beyond the big name star signings .They either don't come off or the few we have gotten didnt really work out ,no harm trying to buy some potential and try mould them into high class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yabadabado wrote: »
    Can't say I know anything about him but ,if the club have scouted him and are happy then fire away. He's 21 and playing CB regularly in La Liga side.12m is a pittance really nowadays.

Id be hoping if a CB is bought then a few if the current crop will be sold.Overloaded with mediocre CBs at the moment.

It also points to the club looking beyond the big name star signings .They either don't come off or the few we have gotten didnt really work out ,no harm trying to buy some potential and try mould them into high class players.

Like lindelof, Bailly? Expensively Fred? James?

United have tried to buy lower cost players with room to improve loads.

Darmian, rojo? Would Schneiderlin count? Martial wasn't a big name star signing. Memphis?

Like lindelof, Bailly? Expensively Fred? James?

United have tried to buy lower cost players with room to improve loads.

Darmian, rojo? Would Schneiderlin count? Martial wasn't a big name star signing. Memphis?

yeah like some of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

If Pogba leaves who would be the better signing

Van de beek or Niquez

Minime2.5 wrote: »

Van de beek or Niquez

Saul without a doubt imo.

Don't think he's attainable but a fantastic player nonetheless.

Van de beek or Niquez

Saul without a doubt imo.

Don't think he's attainable but a fantastic player nonetheless.

Van de beek or Niquez

Maybe not an exact replacement but I’d like to sign Neves. Fernandez is a fine alternative to pogba.

Plenty of top teams don’t need a Pogba character so I’d prefer to see a stronger side all round then one superstar who may or may not be happy for numerous reasons. We never replaced Ruud Van Nistlerooy and he’s prob the best out and out striker I’ve seen at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Maybe not an exact replacement but I’d like to sign Neves. Fernandez is a fine alternative to pogba.

Plenty of top teams don’t need a Pogba character so I’d prefer to see a stronger side all round then one superstar who may or may not be happy for numerous reasons. We never replaced Ruud Van Nistlerooy and he’s prob the best out and out striker I’ve seen at the club.

I agree but I didn't mention Neves because I think he'd be impossible to get off Wolves. His agent is another prick too. We definitely need a player that creates from deep . A scholes a pirlo a Xabi Hernandez a Xabi Alonso a Kroos or Modric. That's why I mentioned Verratti earlier. Pogba has been nothing short of a disaster for us . A spoiled brat Typical modern day footballer whose more into his Instagram account then what he does on the pitch . I'm sorry if this rubs people up the wrong way but Grame Souness is right about him

Had a dream last night that United lost 4-3 at home to what I think was Southampton. Woke up disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://twitter.com/sid_lambert/status/1260094383510167557?s=21

The first final I can remember United being in. The start of a few Trophies SAF won for United a few days later.

I still remember it even though I was in Junior infants. Great times. FA Cup felt like CL final back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Remember the first VCR we got, the shop left a tape in it and it was of that game

It didnt have extra time though as the tape ran out :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The first final I can remember United being in. The start of a few Trophies SAF won for United a few days later.

I still remember it even though I was in Junior infants. Great times. FA Cup felt like CL final back then.

First defing united memory for me too. I would have been in 4th class iirc. The school was chock full of lfc fans but myself and one of my pals were United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

I was in the bog that day at turf, no amount of pleading with Dad could change it, I even offered to foot it all on Sat evening and Sunday if I could stay home after lunch to watch the match. Just got home as the final whistle went, didn't have a vcr at that stage either.

Some game. What a time to be a United fan, the start of 2 decades of success under Fergie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

First cup final I remember was 79, a 3-2 defeat to Arsenal. Was the day I started following Utd. Best memory was the 3-0 win over Barcelona in 84 in the Cup Winners Cup. Lost the first leg 2-0. Radio 5 live was the only place to get games in those days. Be lucky to see Utd play 2 games a year in those days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Daily Star. United 'close' to securing a deal for Saul Niguez as Atletico cut their asking price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Daily Star. United 'close' to securing a deal for Saul Niguez as Atletico cut their asking price.

He's a midfielder, right?

Why would we need a ~70m midfielder, when we have Bruno, Pogba, McT, Fred, Matic (and thats before we go into our back ups like Lingard, Pierrera, Garner, Bellingham if we get him, etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

weird question

united supposedly have financial muscle and should be flexing it at the moment if other clubs are having to have firesales

nothing wrong with buying "all the talent"

the question should be why wouldn't united buy top class players for all positions at the current time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He's a midfielder, right?

Why would we need a ~70m midfielder, when we have Bruno, Pogba, McT, Fred, Matic (and thats before we go into our back ups like Lingard, Pierrera, Garner, Bellingham if we get him, etc)

He would be different to bruno and hes better than the rest, miles better in fact.. he is a proper box to box midfielder..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement