Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Ok not strictly football related but has anyone stated watching Inhuman Resources on Netflix?
    I started watching it and had no idea beforehand that it stars the one and only ERIC CANTONA !
    Because of that I’m totally onboard with it and he can act !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

April just gone or April last year?

they're the reported figures to March this year (2020).

they must do their accounts using a june y/e. which makes sense, given end of season/contracts/transfer window.

a 3.3m loss seems excessive factoring in they played until mid march. its down to the following:

"51.7 per cent decrease in broadcast revenue. primarily due to an estimated £15m Premier League rebate due to broadcasters, following delay and broadcast schedule changes to the 2019/20 football season, non-participation in the UEFA Champions League, and the impact of playing two fewer Premier League away games".
    United expect to pay a £20m rebate to broadcasters this year, with the £15m reduction mentioned in the results reflecting the 29 games played to-date."

didn't think a rebate was due given the season is (right now) gonna be completed?

debt also rose by a whopping 42.2 per cent to £429.1m (ETA: thats vs this time last year, rather than 3 months of this year). that $hit aint sustainable. theres only so many tractor and oil companies!

i think that should be a pretty big worry. the debt keeps increasing. thats needs to be sorted fairly lively i would suggest. they have a brains trust there, and the cost of borrowing is now so low they should prob restructure that debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

For those who went to the game, it was won on May 22nd, so happy anniversary to anyone else that went :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The game finished after midnight in Moscow, but it did start on 21st May even in Russia.:)

A good quiz question in there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I watched that game on my own, was just as well as the expletives went to a new level :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

The game finished after midnight in Moscow, but it did start on 21st May even in Russia.:)

A good quiz question in there somewhere

10.45pm kick off in Moscow.

Think it was around 2am before we left the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

DM_7 wrote: »
    When talking about 08 it is always worth remembering Wes Brown's left footed cross to Ronaldo.

One of those did that just happen moments.

I was just thinking watching it yesterday that it was actually a really bad cross. No pace on it. Ronaldo’s leap and neck muscles did everything for that goal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rock77 wrote: »
    I was just thinking watching it yesterday that it was actually a really bad cross. No pace on it. Ronaldo’s leap and neck muscles did everything for that goal.

It was basic as it could ever be alright, but still amazes me that Wes inside on his left was the pass/ball that caught them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

What a glourious night that was. Distant memory at this stage tho

• Advertisement

I did not know United were going down this route.

https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1263908983796047873?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's a bit pathetic by utd that they are only kicking up a fuss even though it's been like this sine 1992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I imagine it's the commercial side of things trying to squeeze any penny they can. Pathetic stuff. Not a fan of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Looking back at pics totally forgot Gerard Pique was with us then too. Handy Cl and PL medals

He was our 4th highest scorer in that seasons CL with only the front three scoring more. Although there were only 6 scorers in total and only one goal from midfield in the whole competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Would we put up a league challenge with this

Ndidi is another I'd love us to sign .

De Gea
    WBis Maguire Lind Shaw
    Ndidi
    Niguez Fernandez
    Sancho Grwood Rashford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Minime2.5 wrote: »

De Gea
    WBis Maguire Lind Shaw
    Ndidi
    Niguez Fernandez
    Sancho Grwood Rashford

Good spine but I’d worry as to where the goals would come from... Sancho would be the only ‘proven’ goal scorer at a goal in every 2.62 games. Rashford is a goal every 3.24 games which isn’t good enough. He’s only 21/22 but what we need is a NOW guy, with 22-28 goals a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Sign Auba for a couple of seasons to take the heat off Rashford and Greenwood.

Martial has 16 goals so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lingard and a big bag of cash swap for Aubameyang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Lingard and a big bag of cash swap for Aubameyang

We made mugs of them twice now with RVP and Welbeck, wont happen a 3rd time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Silvestre was past his best when we gave him to them aswell.

Minime2.5 wrote: »

De Gea
    WBis Maguire Lind Shaw
    Ndidi
    Niguez Fernandez
    Sancho Grwood Rashford

i think utd will challenge next season if they only sign a high quality RW. that has hamstrung the team since ronaldo left i reckon.

i think utd will challenge next season if they only sign a high quality RW. that has hamstrung the team since ronaldo left i reckon.

A right winger and a striker and yep..

Funny, you’d have to wonder how the current state of non play will leave the transfer market... I’m no expert but you might think there would be clubs just outside the top echelons of the game, who not sitting on a stockpile of cash and not guaranteed CL football will be chomping at the bit time to offload their best talent..

Strumms wrote: »
    A right winger and a striker and yep..

Funny, you’d have to wonder how the current state of non play will leave the transfer market... I’m no expert but you might think there would be clubs just outside the top echelons of the game, who not sitting on a stockpile of cash and not guaranteed CL football will be chomping at the bit time to offload their best talent..

saw PSG bid £46 for icardi. dont know if that is something to do with the loan or the impact of covid. by all accounts he's a handful in the dressing room so who knows? plus inter have lautauro and rom.

utd will fare better than most other clubs so they should be able to make gains in the transfer market once stuff resumes quick enough.

hertz declared bankruptcy yesterday. loss of revenue + massive debts. utd do have that problem. once things resume shortly that should be okay.

i dont think utd even need a striker. rooney and owen were young when they stepped up (plus a lot of other players). from what i've seen, greenwood can do the same. he's 2 footed, which is an absolute huge plus.
    too many young players boss the under age, when they step up and are shown on the outside by a fullback they look clueless cos they only ever had to use 1 foot - cant even pass on their weaker foot. chong looks a bit like that to me.

a striker would be great! whos available out there? dembele from lyon is the name thats been touted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Interested to see how other teams do next year.

If City's CL ban is upheld, will that cause a few of their better players (and manager) to leave?
    Will Pool have the same hunger and drive to win the PL back to back? Or will they have had their hunger sated that their drive diminishes.
    Chelsea will have a better team next year, with their transfer ban over.
    Spurs will be Jose getting his first full season, but will he get transfers done to elevate the team back up.

We are in a position where we could really kick on....again. It's like when we finished second in the league, and there was a sense that with 2 or 3 correct players, we could really kick back to the top of the table.

But I've zero faith in Woody not to flub it again. He'll spend all summer trying to haggle down for Sancho before spending more than needed on deadline day, and that will be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Interested to see how other teams do next year.

If City's CL ban is upheld, will that cause a few of their better players (and manager) to leave?
    Will Pool have the same hunger and drive to win the PL back to back? Or will they have had their hunger sated that their drive diminishes.
    Chelsea will have a better team next year, with their transfer ban over.
    Spurs will be Jose getting his first full season, but will he get transfers done to elevate the team back up.

We are in a position where we could really kick on....again. It's like when we finished second in the league, and there was a sense that with 2 or 3 correct players, we could really kick back to the top of the table.

But I've zero faith in Woody not to flub it again. He'll spend all summer trying to haggle down for Sancho before spending more than needed on deadline day, and that will be it.

You have to factor in that we still have a manager that isnt good enough and if the season does restart and Ole still doesnt get the CL spot, he wont be sacked because they'll write of this season because of the epidemic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

We’ll be told Axel Pogba and Jessie are like new players now they have their problems behind them and probably sign Ighalo lads. Prepare yourself now way we move 3/4 in and 3/4 out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »

If Pogba kicks up a circus I'd be wary of getting any arrival. Highly unlikely Woody can manage two deals at once.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Headshot wrote: »
    You have to factor in that we still have a manager that isnt good enough and if the season does restart and Ole still doesnt get the CL spot, he wont be sacked because they'll write of this season because of the epidemic

Its a weird one.

I flop back and forth on Ole. And if he was replaced by Poch tomorrow, I think I'd be happier rather than disappointed. I think that while I like Ole, he has shown massive tactical inexperience at times, and I don't know if it's the club's responsibility to stick with him while he's learning.

On the other hand, I felt that between Xmas and the season being paused (i.e. when Bruno came in), we actually looked like we'd turned a corner (yes, I know it's a cliche). As a leader, Bruno looked to elevate the entire team.

We were favorites with the bookies for the Europa League. In the quarter finals of the FA Cup. And our form was moving us into CL spots (in fact, if City's suspension is upheld, we are in CL spots currently). Had he ended with CL qualification and a cup (or two), would he have done enough to earn another year? I think absolutely.

I saw this table a few weeks back. It's a points total since Ole took the job permanently.

https://i.redd.it/hbo5aif5u6m41.jpg

(Edit: been pointed out the noted dates are wrong. Not sure what way the games or points total is tho, so guess this point is moot)

Since he took the job full time, only City and Pool have more points than us. Now, I do know the cliche of alternative tables too. But it's interesting that despite the flaws in the squad, despite the weakness of the manager....he's only beaten in total points so far by two clubs who are dominating everyone.

Would he, with Bruno in properly, with a Sancho added to the RW, with the younger players a year older, with a motivated Pogba, be able to close that gap? Especially if City drop away a little under a two year CL ban?

Say what you want about him, his signings have been top notch so far (even if we debate were they "his" signings or not). He's worked hard to change the mentality of the team, personified by Bruno's addition.

I think the Poch issue is going to be one of those "ships passing by in the night" moments; it would be very harsh to sack Ole given the trejectory we've been on.

On the other hand, I'm probably influenced by the fact we were in a very positive place with the season was suspended. Had it been broken up at Xmas, I'd have probably been calling for blood harder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I think after Sanchez we’re back to all square

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/sid_lambert/status/1264473752357789697?s=20

Cantona's birthday today, the mad bastárd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You cannot buy class like that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I see Hearts fans are rejoicing that Pereira is heading back to United. Some are saying he's the worst SPL keeper they've seen in years.

Has he been that consistently bad? Or is there just some high profile clangers?

I see Hearts fans are rejoicing that Pereira is heading back to United. Some are saying he's the worst SPL keeper they've seen in years.

Has he been that consistently bad? Or is there just some high profile clangers?

Yes he was as bad as they say he was. Not seen the comments myself, but I bet lot of them probably think United should have paid them? If I’m right then ya they have a point:pac:

paulbok wrote: »
    Can only be described as Meh!

Very meh, it’s bland.

This has being doing the rounds and it’s 7000 times nicer...

0_MAIN-Kit.jpg

• Advertisement

I can count on 1 hand how many players I have been upset to leave the club in last decade or so and he is one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

shame we couldn't extend his deal, i can understand the club being reluctant to buy him now, but he was a player that fans immediately took to.

In fairness reckon the club did all they can to get him to stay.

If that's what he was offered cant complete with that

In fairness reckon the club did all they can to get him to stay.

If that's what he was offered cant complete with that

I don't think it is a case that Ighalo wasn't convinced.

As far as I can tell from the reports, his club point blank refused to discuss extending the loan. It was sale or nothing.

The contract is likely to just get him back on side after scupering his chance to finish the season at the club he supports.

I don't think Ighalo rejected United in favour of the new contract on offer.

I don't think it is a case that Ighalo wasn't convinced.

As far as I can tell from the reports, his club point blank refused to discuss extending the loan. It was sale or nothing.

The contract is likely to just get him back on side after scupering his chance to finish the season at the club he supports.

I don't think Ighalo rejected United in favour of the new contract on offer.

Oh I know that. United never had much chance here. I'm sure United did all they could, but the Chinese had all the cards.

It's just a great pity. Only Zlatan has brought that good vibe to the stands past couple of years that our 2 signings in January did.

I don't understand this.

Is he not under contract with them anyway and that's why he is going back?

Why give him a ball of money to do something he is contractually obliged to do?

:confused:

Seems like pointless silly waving tbh.

I don't understand this.

Is he not under contract with them anyway and that's why he is going back?

Why give him a ball of money to do something he is contractually obliged to do?

:confused:

Seems like pointless silly waving tbh.

Loads of players get a new contract when a transfer they wanted doesn't come about. Its a way of placating them.

It doesn't quite make sense, play the contract you are already on, but its common enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Sign Auba for a couple of seasons to take the heat off Rashford and Greenwood.

Wouldn't mind Auba as a signing but it seems he is either returning to Germany or going to Italy.
    Josh King seems to be a name that we and other top 6 clubs will be linked with all Summer. For me he is not as imposing a player as Ighalo was.....however he is two years younger than Ighalo and is arguably more versatile as he can play as a lone Centre Forward or as a second striker.

It seems strange to me that people are almost taking it as a "given" that we are signing Sancho.Imo his club are between a rock and a hard place to an extent now because with the likely collapse in strength of transfer fees just as Dortmund were about to sell their prize asset.Sancho signed a new contract last January which means that Dortmund might try and hold onto him until World economies recover somewhat as it would be very difficult to see any club....including Man Utd being able to justify paying his pre Coronavirus fee of approx. 100m Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Wouldn't mind Auba as a signing but it seems he is either returning to Germany or going to Italy.
    Josh King seems to be a name that we and other top 6 clubs will be linked with all Summer. For me he is not as imposing a player as Ighalo was.....however he is two years younger than Ighalo and is arguably more versatile as he can play as a lone Centre Forward or as a second striker.

It seems strange to me that people are almost taking it as a "given" that we are signing Sancho.Imo his club are between a rock and a hard place to an extent now because with the likely collapse in strength of transfer fees just as Dortmund were about to sell their prize asset.Sancho signed a new contract last January which means that Dortmund might try and hold onto him until World economies recover somewhat as it would be very difficult to see any club....including Man Utd being able to justify paying his pre Coronavirus fee of approx. 100m Sterling.

Honestly don’t think any fan is taking it as a given. We have a history of not closing deals so you’re either reading people’s posts and mistaking enthusiasm for expectation, or you’re right and those people are just foolish.

I can bet my life on it that we want him, I can be reasonably confident he would like to play for us, but I’ve no doubt we are more likely to balls it up than complete it.

Auba is a possibility. The relationship between United and Arsenal at boardroom level has always seemed good..you’ve had over the last 20 years or so a fair few transfers going in both directions even when both teams were challenging or thereabouts...

RVP

Silvestre

Andy Cole

Danny Welbeck

Sanchez

Mikytaryan

Probably more but off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement