Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Andy Cole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Andy Cole?

didn't transfer between the clubs. so doesn't make sense on that list.

Was on the youth books I think, at arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes apologies, the ravages of time making a holy show of my memory...

Newcastle... United... Blackburn

Must get back on them vitamin tablets :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Oh I know that. United never had much chance here. I'm sure United did all they could, but the Chinese had all the cards.

It's just a great pity. Only Zlatan has brought that good vibe to the stands past couple of years that our 2 signings in January did.

Ya I agree, at the start I thought along with many more that the whole transfer was a bit of a joke but then when I saw the reaction the signing was getting off a few ex pros I jumped ship and hoped that Igahlo would be a success and Im delighted that he was,

He just does the basics right, holds up the ball and lays it off and gets himself into the box, no frills and it has worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The fact we didn't insert a buy clause in the loan did make actually signing him tricky. If he was a success his Chinese club would obviously want a ridiculous fee :(

pjohnson wrote: »
    The fact we didn't insert a buy clause in the loan did make actually signing him tricky. If he was a success his Chinese club would obviously want a ridiculous fee :(

I don't think buying is the problem. his club are happy enough to sell, United seemingly don't want to buy him right now, in a situation where they don't know if other higher priority targets can be brought in, or if players we want to move on will be moved on.

United want to extend the loan.
    His club will only discuss a sale, not a loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

On another serious note it does bring the entire extending the season debate to another level.

United have agreed to extend the loan of Henderson to Sheffield united until the season ends even tho we are in direct competition with them for at least fifth spot and on the other hand we are losing a player that we thought we would have until end of the season initially.

Ighalo may not be seen as an important cog in the team because we have rashford back but he was something totally different that would definitely help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't think buying is the problem. his club are happy enough to sell, United seemingly don't want to buy him right now, in a situation where they don't know if other higher priority targets can be brought in, or if players we want to move on will be moved on.

United want to extend the loan.
    His club will only discuss a sale, not a loan.

Have to feel for the player in this situation. Seemed to be delighted to be playing for United. A United fan coming from a small Nigerian slum to get the chance to play for them and it getting cut short like that.

Even upsets me thinking of it like that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/TheMunichTunnel/status/1265188441651851264?s=20

21 years today.

Never forget that night and that couple of minutes for as long as I live.

Only a young enough lad screaming running around the house whilst my folks (not too big into sports) found it an incredible spectacle and wondering what they had produced.

Fantastic drama.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It is tough on Ighalo to see his chance to play for United cut short.

On the positive side he got to play for United and fulfill a dream even if it was only for a short time.

His chance arrived due to Covid19 delay and it ends early in terms of games due to it also.

He should probably have been signed by United a few years ago when they needed a striker under Van Gaal for the same reasons they needed him this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

A night that will never be topped in the history of the club.

I was there thankfully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

21 years today.

Only a young enough lad screaming running around the house whilst my folks (not too big into sports) found it an incredible spectacle and wondering what they had produced.

Fantastic drama.

Agreed.

I was watching it with a friend whose a Liverpool fan. Had a kick about out the front at HT and felt demoralized as we never looked like getting back into it.

I loved Lothar Matheus as a player but also loved seeing his shocked face after the 2nd went in. Bayern had subbed him out and were convinced they had it won.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ozzy jr wrote: »
    A night that will never be topped in the history of the club.

I was there thankfully :)

You weren’t tempted to leave early with George best? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Liam O wrote: »
    Have to feel for the player in this situation. Seemed to be delighted to be playing for United. A United fan coming from a small Nigerian slum to get the chance to play for them and it getting cut short like that.

Even upsets me thinking of it like that :(

Sure.

But I'm sure earning more in a week than any of us will earn in a decade will help him sleep at night.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

FixedGenerousBeardedcollie-max-1mb.gif

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    You weren’t tempted to leave early with George best? :pac:

Ha, no. Imagine missing those last couple of minutes. I'd never have forgiven myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sure.

But I'm sure earning more in a week than any of us will earn in a decade will help him sleep at night.....

Ah, he's rich so he's immune to emotion. Forgot about that.

Julez wrote: »
    Ah, he's rich so he's immune to emotion. Forgot about that.

Of course not, that's the other extreme. But Liam O's post made it seem like he'll be utterly devestated and unable to continue. The fact is, I'm sure Ighalo would like to continue. But I've yet to hear any reports he himself is turning down the massive pay-bump, and/or threatening to be unprofessional if they block the move. I doubt he's going to be at home sobbing over not being able to join United, and a large part of that is going to be thanks to knowing he'll make an absolute fortune in China.

His very short stint at United has dramatically increased his value to Shanghai, and its likely staying there will not only ensure an incredibly life for himself, but multiple generations of his family to come.

Of course not, that's the other extreme. But Liam O's post made it seem like he'll be utterly devestated and unable to continue. The fact is, I'm sure Ighalo would like to continue. But I've yet to hear any reports he himself is turning down the massive pay-bump, and/or threatening to be unprofessional if they block the move. I doubt he's going to be at home sobbing over not being able to join United, and a large part of that is going to be thanks to knowing he'll make an absolute fortune in China.

His very short stint at United has dramatically increased his value to Shanghai, and its likely staying there will not only ensure an incredibly life for himself, but multiple generations of his family to come.

The fact he went to China in the first place would point to the value of money. And that is not a criticism, the money on offer there puts himself and his family in a better position moving forward over the next decades than staying at Watford or most other moves he'd have gotten.

He made a career choice based on finances. Not on footballing merit. He may want to go the footballing merit route now (with no shortage of cash!) but i'll not lose sleep over him having to live with the (very lucrative) financial decision he made.

I missed 5, they were some of the one and 2 appearance makers.

https://twitter.com/planetfutebol/status/1265304686900514818?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Just watching the German match there now. I don't speak German but you can hear them all shouting etc.

How will this work in Premiership on TV when we can hear them all cursing etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

py2006 wrote: »
    Just watching the German match there now. I don't speak German but you can hear them all shouting etc.

People just need to get over themselves, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Mars Bar wrote: »
    People just need to get over themselves, in my opinion.

Thats all well and good but from the TV Networks perspective they will face fines?

I don't remember it being in an issue in the LASK vs United game.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

21 years today.

Fantastic drama.
    I was on the back row of the top tier behind the goal. Reckon I could have beaten the pole vault world record after that 2nd goal - without a pole!!:pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    I was on the back row of the top tier behind the goal. Reckon I could have beaten the pole vault world record after that 2nd goal - without a pole!!:pac:

I was a few rows in front of you, if you're at the United end . Think the ticket cost £12 :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Think the ticket cost £12 :D
    Sounds about right - 3,000 pesetas. Definitely the cheapest tickets, but we did not get them until the flight over and didn't even know until then the price we would be paying

Looking at my ticket now. Have it framed with the pennant they were selling outside the ground. If I could post a photo I would.

I've always said, if the house goes on fire it's the one item I'll grab :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

DM_7 wrote: »
    I missed 5, they were some of the one and 2 appearance makers.

There is one player there that I have absolutely no recollection of .Never heard his name before today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To won it at Nou Camp made it that extra bit special for some reason.

One of best weeks of my life and definitely best week in my youth.

Sadly, its hard see it ever being topped or equalled either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

yabadabado wrote: »
    There is one player there that I have absolutely no recollection of .Never heard his name before today.

Would that be Alex Notman?

Genuinely have never heard that name before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

py2006 wrote: »

I watched a bit on BT and a bit on fox sports in the states and the latter had the equivalent of piped crowd noises playing in the background, I did stick with it for too long so I'm curious how it worked for big chances and goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I remember vividly Lothar Matthäus bouncing his runners up medal off the Nou Camp grass he looked furious. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I remember vividly Lothar Matthäus bouncing his runners up medal off the Nou Camp grass he looked furious. :)

That was the only major trophy he didn't win and he played in the 87 final when Bayern lost 2-1,after conceding 2 late goals.
    Not as late as 99 but conceded on 77 and 80 minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1265436982316064770?s=21

Now that’s more like it. Hopefully it’s that one and not the bus seat one. The bus seat one isn’t awful but this is much better.

Apparently foreign players/managers in the China league, who aren't in China, can't return until October. If that is true, then if Shanghai don't agree to extend Ighalo's loan then he returns to them but can't actually return until October. So he'd be 4 months without football by the time he can go back.

Would have to think it very likely his loan gets extended now, if not bought outright. Can't see him going back to China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently foreign players/managers in the China league, who aren't in China, can't return until October. If that is true, then if Shanghai don't agree to extend Ighalo's loan then he returns to them but can't actually return until October. So he'd be 4 months without football by the time he can go back.

Would have to think it very likely his loan gets extended now, if not bought outright. Can't see him going back to China.

He has no say in it unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal are both planning for a summer in which they will not be able to spend any money, as they compete over the free transfer signing of Chelsea winger Willian. Manchester United and Chelsea will still have money to spend. [Matt Law]

If true, this is (another) chance to actually put some distance between us and the likes of Spurs and Arsenal.

Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal are both planning for a summer in which they will not be able to spend any money, as they compete over the free transfer signing of Chelsea winger Willian. Manchester United and Chelsea will still have money to spend. [Matt Law]

If true, this is (another) chance to actually put some distance between us and the likes of Spurs and Arsenal.

I expect many clubs will be looking to balance things and sell players to buy. Can't see Jose or Arteta not wanting to move people out and get some in.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I expect many clubs will be looking to balance things and sell players to buy. Can't see Jose or Arteta not wanting to move people out and get some in.

There issue though will be...who do they sell that is worth decent money, that won't be hard to replace?

Auba is probably one of the more valuable players to Arsenal. Yet, his contract situation and age means they'll be limited by how much they get. Luiz also talking about moving on too. They're in danger of actually regressing this summer.

Spurs have some good players but not ones they'd replace easily with the cash. Would Jose look to offload a Kane level player for funds? And if he did, he wouldn't replace him at all easily.

pjohnson wrote: »
    He has no say in it unfortunately.

Indeed he doesn't but....

His club's options are:

Loan him to United for a fee, with portion of wages paid.
    or
    Pay him 250k a week from June 1st to October 1st without being able to play him.

It seems like it would be fecking moronic on their part to refuse all attempts at a deal when they won't be able to play him for the next 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Real picture of home and away

c0O5nNB.jpg

yMXrc8k9_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Not bad jerseys, I've seen worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Better than the bus seats
    Pretty much same as that blue jersey few seasons ago just in Red and Black

Reuters: Premier League football club Manchester United has drawn £140m of its £150m (US$184.34m) syndicated revolving credit facility (RCF), which could potentially be used to fund player acquisitions, after the club’s operating cash flows were hit by the Covid-19 crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Reuters: Premier League football club Manchester United has drawn £140m of its £150m (US$184.34m) syndicated revolving credit facility (RCF), which could potentially be used to fund player acquisitions, after the club’s operating cash flows were hit by the Covid-19 crisis.

Or else the rest of the Glazers want new kitchens

They're still going to take their dividends, so the money has to come from somewhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement