Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Not replacement rather freeing up room on the wage bill

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't think Sancho depends on Pogba, I'd say Grealish is the replacement for Pogba. Sancho may be our only signing if no one else leaves.

I’d probably agree.

Being young, English, a big name and for a spot we need, I’d say Sancho would be the type Woody will kill to get. I think he’s be the main target regardless of incomings and outgoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

scudzilla wrote: »
    I can see Shaw doing a Neville Southall after he retires

Razor Ruddock says hi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That George Best Doc was sad in end. What a player though. Man was just a genius. Arguably United's greatest ever player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/saulniguez/status/1267066436905811969

Saul teasing a "new club" announcement in 3 days. 99% chance this is him promoting some new brand, but since he was linked with us....

Hazard-level of cringe. Avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

https://twitter.com/saulniguez/status/1267066436905811969

Saul teasing a "new club" announcement in 3 days. 99% chance this is him promoting some new brand, but since he was linked with us....

I would like him but this type of ****e it pretty much confirms he won't be coming to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There is no way that is actually teasing a transfer. Its going to be a fitness club or sponsorship or fan engagement. It's stupid, but no way is he announcing out of the blue he is transferring somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I was thinking lately of the furore around Wayne Rooney handing in a transfer request as Man Utd. It was headline news at the time. But would that be the case now? I don't mean specifically at Utd.

• Ighalo extension incoming :)

• Advertisement

Happy with that.

I wonder does it mean we won't go for a striker in the summer window, cause as it is we're just delaying the problem til January, and mid season is tough to buy in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Happy with that.

I wonder does it mean we won't go for a striker in the summer window, cause as it is we're just delaying the problem til January, and mid season is tough to buy in

Keeping Ighalo, buying Sancho, buying Grealish, and more than likely keeping Pogba is a realistic Summer of activity. With Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Sancho, Ighalo all able to play as a front man or in a pair I don’t see the need for a striker really. Greenwood is our future.

I might also add that I reckon we’d only buy a striker if one of the top class ones became available, the likes of Kane for a reasonable fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Getting rid of Sanchez is very important for Utd this summer. If we cannot move him on this summer then I cannot see Sancho signing.. The wages that Sanchez is on is maddness, financially the worst player deal Utd have made in their history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is no way that is actually teasing a transfer. Its going to be a fitness club or sponsorship or fan engagement. It's stupid, but no way is he announcing out of the blue he is transferring somewhere.

He is big into eSports so I'd say its something about that

Edit: he posted this an hour ago

https://twitter.com/saulniguez/status/1267385481572102146?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

GSPfan wrote: »
    Keeping Ighalo, buying Sancho, buying Grealish, and more than likely keeping Pogba is a realistic Summer of activity. With Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Sancho, Ighalo all able to play as a front man or in a pair I don’t see the need for a striker really. Greenwood is our future.

I agree with all that, except I think with funds tight we will just get Sancho and no Grealish unless Pogba leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ighalo officially confirmed by the club until the end of January.

Delighted with that(not something I thought I’d be saying a few months ago).

I really hope we sign a right sided player in the summer. Surely a priority.

MattS1 wrote: »
    I agree with all that, except I think with funds tight we will just get Sancho and no Grealish unless Pogba leaves.

Yeah the Grealish one is dependent on sales but i think with the sales of some fringe players we could justify it. If we got shot of Sanchez too somehow it’d help.

Possible outgoings to fund Sancho & Grealish....

Smalling - No replacement needed.
    Jones - No replacement needed.
    Rojo - No replacement needed.
    Lingard - Grealish is the replacement.
    Sanchez - No replacement needed. Arguably Sancho is his replacement.

We could probably raise the Grealish fee combining the sales of that lot. Maybe 50-60 million. Sad to think we’d sell 5 to afford one but the wages alone for those lads I’d say is enormous.

Notable mention that I could see United also go for Bellingham.

Imagine this squad to choose from. We could probably lose all the players in my previous post and also lose Mata, Perreira, Gomes too.

DeGea
    Romero
    Grant

Dalot
    AWB

Maguire
    Lindelof
    Bailly
    Tuanzebe
    Fosu Mensah

Shaw
    Williams

Matic
    Bellingham
    Fred
    Pogba
    McTominay
    Bruno
    Grealish

Sancho
    Greenwood
    James
    Chong
    Rashford
    Ighalo
    Martial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

adox wrote: »
    Ighalo officially confirmed by the club until the end of January.

Delighted with that(not something I thought I’d be saying a few months ago).

I really hope we sign a right sided player in the summer. Surely a priority.

Great news and a great squad option to have. If he continues to impress we could potentially sign him permanently in January. As was mentioned by someone previously, his attitude is great and previously the kind of influence you want around the young lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Yeah the Grealish one is dependent on sales but i think with the sales of some fringe players we could justify it. If we got shot of Sanchez too somehow it’d help.

Possible outgoings to fund Sancho & Grealish....

Smalling - No replacement needed.
    Jones - No replacement needed.
    Rojo - No replacement needed.
    Lingard - Grealish is the replacement.
    Sanchez - No replacement needed. Arguably Sancho is his replacement.

We could probably raise the Grealish fee combining the sales of that lot. Maybe 50-60 million. Sad to think we’d sell 5 to afford one but the wages alone for those lads I’d say is enormous.

Notable mention that I could see United also go for Bellingham.

The biggest problem United will have in offloading those players are the high wages they're on, especially now after the Covid-19 lockdown. Most clubs won't be able to afford 100+ thousand a week the likes of Lingard would ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

MattS1 wrote: »

Looking less and less likely that Pogba is going anywhere....Juve and Madrid seem to be baulking at the fact that he would still be looking for pre Coronavirus wage demands and his lovely agent wants a nice cut for himself.Football clubs will need to be seen to try and be more responsible with how they spend money over next few years especially in countries hit hard by Coronavirus like Spain and Italy were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Do ye think we'll go for Grealish? Not sure how I feel about him. Nothing to do with the Irish/English thing, I just don't feel he's good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

macslash wrote: »
    Do ye think we'll go for Grealish? Not sure how I feel about him. Nothing to do with the Irish/English thing, I just don't feel he's good enough.

I think for what he would cost it would be a massive risk. Looks a good player but can he take the next step to being better than good?

Grealish looks the type of character Fergie used to love signing; a guy guying a relegation team on his back, obviously way too big for a smaller club, young and hungry to make the step up.

It is understood that United will pay Shanghai a loan fee of around £6 million and cover a third of Ighalo’s £300,000 per week wage during his time at the club [Paul Hirst, The Times]

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Getting rid of Sanchez is very important for Utd this summer. If we cannot move him on this summer then I cannot see Sancho signing.. The wages that Sanchez is on is maddness, financially the worst player deal Utd have made in their history.

Who is honestly going to take Sanchez especially in the current crisis. Inter weren't even paying half his wages and his profile will be even worse now . I'd let him rot in the reserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Who is honestly going to take Sanchez especially in the current crisis. Inter weren't even paying half his wages and his profile will be even worse now . I'd let him rot in the reserves

There's talk Inter will extend his loan. I can't see us signing Sancho this Summer unless Pogba is sold. I can see us getting Bellingham for around 30 mil though.

billyhead wrote: »
    There's talk Inter will extend his loan. I can't see us signing Sancho this Summer unless Pogba is sold. I can see us getting Bellingham for around 30 mil though.

But if Pogba is sold we will need a replacement for midfield too . Now is not the time for United to cheapen out

• Advertisement

But if Pogba is sold we will need a replacement for midfield too . Now is not the time for United to cheapen out

It will be the usual posturing from the club in the transfer market this year i.e funds are available and we eventually end up with just Bellingham. Dont keep your hopes up. I have started predicting the worst from transfer windows. I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see us meeting Dortmund's asking price added to the fact would the player want to join United.

But if Pogba is sold we will need a replacement for midfield too .

We bought Pogba's direct replacement in January...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Grealish looks the type of character Fergie used to love signing; a guy guying a relegation team on his back, obviously way too big for a smaller club, young and hungry to make the step up.

Grealish has impressed over the past 2 years. And has some good qualities.
    But being a 24 yr old Englishman, he will come at a hefty cost, no matter what you say about the post Covid 19 marketplace.
    And will he give us that extra special something you need from marquee signings?
    Debatable.

More to the point, where would he fit into the side?

Bruno deservedly made the AM position his own when he settled into the team so quickly and effectively. All the indications are Pogba is staying put.

Rashford's most effective position is coming in off the LW.

Its hard to see Grealish fitting into the side, unless he's shunted out to RW and we have another go at solving that problem position with the wrong type of player...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think Grealish is only an option if Pogba goes.

The more pressing need appears to be to add a forward so the club have three quality front three players backed up by Greenwood, James, Ighalo (until January) and Mata. Bruno can go into forward three if needed.

The club have also invested a lot in the academy so I think they will want to leave room for players and not over recruit.

I'm not so sure, It depends on the way that Ole wants to set up, we seem to have played best recently with Fred and Bruno both pushing up and Matic sitting and mopping up. There would be no issue with playing both Pogba and Bruno. Both as box to box and creative midfielders.

So if Pogba left, I think we could do with a replacement, bearing in mind that while there is good players there, they could be improved on, I think having Bruno and Grealish for instance would be fantastic as they are both workhorses and both very creative.

Can we buy players at minute? Or is it July 1st? Or when?

Anyone know :p

• Advertisement

Can we buy players at minute? Or is it July 1st? Or when?

Anyone know :p

Window due to open on June 10th I think, not sure if it will be delayed or what, there has been no mention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lewondowski is way more than just ‘a’ forward, we are needing two prolific goal scorers, strikers mainly..

I’d throw a good few million at Bayern for Lewondowski, but he just signed a new deal with them last August. Maybe though with him being 31 now Bayern ‘could’ see it as a financial sense if a suitable offer would be forthcoming.

His goal scoring record... appearances/goals just taking in Dortmund and Bayern and International.

Dortmund 131/74
    Bayern 186/157

International 112/61

Total 442 / 292

A goal every 1.5 games or thereabouts... Jesus, some stat.

Strumms wrote: »
    Lewondowski is way more than just ‘a’ forward, we are needing two prolific goal scorers, strikers mainly..

I’d throw a good few million at Bayern for Lewondowski, but he just signed a new deal with them last August. Maybe though with him being 31 now Bayern ‘could’ see it as a financial sense if a suitable offer would be forthcoming.

His goal scoring record... appearances/goals just taking in Dortmund and Bayern and International.

Dortmund 131/74
    Bayern 186/157

International 112/61

Total 442 / 292

Unless not wanted you be fool leave to leave Bayern. Be hard stop in CL at minute. Best team in Europe

Pogba has rarely played that number 10 role that Fernandez does . Regardless we need a wordclass midfielder that can dictate the play for deep .We are basically missing what Paul scholes gave us for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Imagine this squad to choose from. We could probably lose all the players in my previous post and also lose Mata, Perreira, Gomes too.

DeGea
    Romero
    Grant

Dalot
    AWB

Maguire
    Lindelof
    Bailly
    Tuanzebe
    Fosu Mensah

Shaw
    Williams

Matic
    Bellingham
    Fred
    Pogba
    McTominay
    Bruno
    Grealish

Sancho
    Greenwood
    James
    Chong
    Rashford
    Ighalo
    Martial

Looking at it laid out like this we are in desperate need of a centre half in my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rock77 wrote: »
    Looking at it laid out like this we are in desperate need of a centre half in my opinion...

CB, winger and strikers.. if Maguire got injured we’d be in trouble at the back.. guy is an absolute colossus...

Strumms wrote: »

Dortmund 131/74
    Bayern 186/157

International 112/61

Total 442 / 292

Agree. A striker to score at least 25 goals each season is needed. Martial or Rashford doesn't give us that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

billyhead wrote: »
    Agree. A striker to score at least 25 goals each season is needed. Martial or Rashford doesn't give us that.

Rashford has 19 in 31 this season.
    Martial has 16 in 34 this season.

Martial would have been expected to at least hit 20 and Rashford to at least hit 25 bar injury....they both might yet get 20 and 25.

I could see AWB filling in as a CB when required. A bit like O'Shea and Brown did in their time.

Rojo also due to return from loan very soon.

Luke Shaw played quite well in a Back 3 in a number of games too. That position possibly suits him better than the modern day attacking FB role, which he lacks the stamina for imo.

Rashford has 19 in 31 this season.
    Martial has 16 in 34 this season.

Martial would have been expected to at least hit 20 and Rashford to at least hit 25 bar injury....they both might yet get 20 and 25.

I still feel we need a consistent goal scorer to be added to the squad. Can you rely on Martial and Rashford to get more than 25 goals every season. We need a target man like Ruud where both Martial and Rashford could play off on the left and right. Sancho would be ideal for the right. Rashford plays off the left anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Zeek12 wrote: »
    I could see AWB filling in as a CB when required. A bit like O'Shea and Brown did in their time.

I like AWB a lot but I don't think that would be a good idea. He just doesn't look like a centre half. And you'd lose a lot not having him at fullback where he's one of the best in the league.

United should be all over Ben White at Brighton (with Leeds on loan right now). The type of up and coming British centre half they've invested in many times before.

8-10 wrote: »
    I like AWB a lot but I don't think that would be a good idea. He just doesn't look like a centre half. And you'd lose a lot not having him at fullback where he's one of the best in the league.

United should be all over Ben White at Brighton (with Leeds on loan right now). The type of up and coming British centre half they've invested in many times before.

Joel Rodon seems to be the young CB of choice for United, going by various reports. Agent Giggs (cf. James) lauding him, and United seemingly interested at the right price.

I don't know anything about either player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

My issue is not if Maguire gets injured it’s a partner for him..

Yeah we have numbers at centre half but in my opinion not enough quality.

I still hope we buy a right sided attacker first..

My issue is not if Maguire gets injured it’s a partner for him..

Yeah we have numbers at centre half but in my opinion not enough quality.

I still hope we buy a right sided attacker first..

Lindelof's form has been a worry alright.

He was playing really well for a fair part of last season but his performance levels have dipped this year.

I still don't know what to make of Bailly tbh, not helped in the least by the amount of time he spends out injured. That in itself is an issue

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Lindelof's form has been a worry alright.

He was playing really well for a fair part of last season but his performance levels have dipped this year.

I still don't know what to make of Bailly tbh, not helped in the least by the amount of time he spends out injured. That in itself is an issue

Id be more concerned with higher up the pitch this summer, and maybe buy in a younger CB and loan them out for first team games.

We need someone on the right and a few upgrades in CM. They would be my first priorities. If after that there is money available for a top CB yeah splash it out. But not sure it will be there. Is there even any top CB available for a decent price

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement