Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Judge Lingard as a player.

Not good enough on recent performances.

I think it is impossible to conclude making a mtv cribs show show or posting a video on instagram or other things like that are having a negative influence on his actual game.

It is also impossible for us to say focusing some energy away from football is a release some guys need to not be overcome by the level of high mental pressures; or that the validation they get pumps up their ego; helps them overcome much of the nasty attention they draw just for being young, wealthy, famous and as we see in the news hostility just from race.

Can't we try to focus more on him as a footballer and come back to his personal life when he does something harmful or clearly negative towards his football?

Edit: I am not saying anyone is wrong to say that in their opinion players need to focus on football and should ease back social media etc.

I am only trying to talk out how we don't really have insight into why they do it or to what extent it impacts their football in any way (negative, neutral, positive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is anyone else just suprised to learn MTV Cribs is still a thing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sky saying Pogba is fully fit.
    Athletic saying United value him at 120m, have no need to sell and expect him to be at the club next year.

If everyone is fit right now, how do you line everyone up? Still have a RW issue; do we go with a diamond to fit everyone in?
    Rashford -Martial
    Bruno
    Pogba - Fred - McT

?

• Trigger wrote: »
    But you followed it up with this post which is what we were replying to.

Its categorically wrong to state that he is "not a very good footballer full stop"

In what category is it fundamentally wrong?

Is he or is he not a good footballer?

Some argument :)

• pjohnson wrote: »
    Is anyone else just suprised to learn MTV Cribs is still a thing?

Member Pimp my Ride

That was a thing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Athletic saying United value him at 120m, have no need to sell and expect him to be at the club next year.

If everyone is fit right now, how do you line everyone up? Still have a RW issue; do we go with a diamond to fit everyone in?
    Rashford -Martial
    Bruno
    Pogba - Fred - McT

?

Tony M

Rash New Rm

Pogba Bruno
    Scotty/Fred

That’s how I see it working

Tony at cf
    Rash left wing
    New right winger
    Middle 3 of
    Pogba left Fred or Scotty Sitting and Bruno right side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Rashford -Martial
    Bruno
    Pogba - Fred - McT

?

I think Ole tried a similar diamond formation earlier in the year and it didn't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Rashford -Martial
    Bruno
    Pogba - Fred - McT

?

It's a nice thought and that's a tasty looking MF.

But tbh we just don't have the personnel to make a diamond work imo. Wouldn't we need quick attacking FBs putting good deliveries into the box to maximise this formation?

The FA Cup game away to Chelsea last year is the only game under Ole I can recall where the diamond worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Member Pimp my Ride

That was a thing too

Xzibit was great on that tbf.

Trigger wrote: »

Its categorically wrong to state that he is "not a very good footballer full stop"

In what sense is it categorically wrong, if we are discussing premier league or players who play at the highest level, its at least a discussion and a point of view id share.

If we are taking the world wide pool of anyone whos kicked a ball then yes he is very good probably in the top 1% but its a very pedantic way to look at it.

If we looked at it like that we would never critique a players ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I think Ole tried a similar diamond formation earlier in the year and it didn't work
    The Everton game?

I wouldn't write it off on the basis of that game alone. I thought there were times within that game when the diamond was working really well for us. Then it all turned to sh!t but I'm not convinced the sole reason for this was the tactical setup.

In saying that, I'm still not 100% if it's the best fit for our players though, and you could question whether a first choice system should be chosen based on players at the club as opposed to the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

adox wrote: »
    Xzibit was great on that tbf.

Bet you they were slamming model T ford's back in your days.

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Bet you they were slamming model T ford's back in your days.

I think you mean adox :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My last real favourite Home kit we had. Had few decent ones since but that was a beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

When I see clips like that I get a jolt that reminds me how good we used to be and how far United has fallen as a club/team. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

that pass from Keane. delicious

That's Carrick. Great ball all the same.

• Drumpot wrote: »
    When I see clips like that I get a jolt that reminds me how good we used to be and how far United has fallen as a club/team. :(

Cheer up, we will be back again:)

• Advertisement

Thought the pass was for Smith myself so a bit of luck about it.

Rashford -Martial
    Bruno
    Pogba - Fred - McT

?

It might depend on who United are playing so at times I think that option will be used. We have seen the 5 at the back used well also.

4-3-3 could be used with both Pogba and Bruno in midfield. Rashford, Martial and James or Greenwood as the forward three.

Pace is going to be vital in the no crowd experience as I think some players are more likely to switch off and be caught out without fans there who bring focus and intensity. That could work against United also tbh but James or Greenwood may well have an important role as the third forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

DM_7 wrote: »
    It might depend on who United are playing so at times I think that option will be used. We have seen the 5 at the back used well also.

4-3-3 could be used with both Pogba and Bruno in midfield. Rashford, Martial and James or Greenwood as the forward three.

Pace is going to be vital in the no crowd experience as I think some players are more likely to switch off and be caught out without fans there who bring focus and intensity. That could work against United also tbh but James or Greenwood may well have an important role as the third forward.

they should just stick bruno on the RHS, be grand! that way you can have fred, McT and pogba as a midfield 3.

they should just stick bruno on the RHS, be grand! that way you can have fred, McT and pogba as a midfield 3.

That could well happen at times.

I was thinking of the 4-3-3 as the club appear to want Sancho which points to Ole looking at Pogba and Bruno in midfield with one of Fred and McT in the future. So he may go ahead with it when all are fit but with James or Greenwood now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    Bet you they were slamming penny farthings back in your days.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Trigger wrote:

It's categorically wrong for you to tell someone his opinion is incorrect like that.

Poster is entitled too his opinion same as you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

forgot he took the 16 apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

DM_7 wrote: »
    That could well happen at times.

I was thinking of the 4-3-3 as the club appear to want Sancho which points to Ole looking at Pogba and Bruno in midfield with one of Fred and McT in the future. So he may go ahead with it when all are fit but with James or Greenwood now.

You need a strong squad . What about in 08 with we had Ronaldo Rooney Teves Berbatov or in 99 when we had Cole Yorke Sheringham Solksjaer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

One problem Utd have is Sanchez....on huge wages and with time left to run on his contract,can’t see anyone interested in signing him this Summer in these new more realistic transfer and wage demands era post Covid.

• One problem Utd have is Sanchez....on huge wages and with time left to run on his contract,can’t see anyone interested in signing him this Summer in these new more realistic transfer and wage demands era post Covid.

Is China an option for him?
    Might be our best bet

Is China an option for him?
    Might be our best bet

Why would he move to china? He is already getting the mega money and can live in Europe. He has absolutely no reason to leave united for two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Yep, we completely screwed the pooch with that one. Hopefully that will be the last signing of once brilliant players past their best and on whopper money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think United's only hope of getting rid of Sanchez is to give him away on a free - and we will still probably need to subsidise his wages to some extent.

He's going to be an expensive mistake/flop for a while yet. I'd be shocked if we got him off the wage bill completely.

He will absolutely have teams interested in taking him, but they won't be able to afford him on his current wage - so if United want rid, it will cost us regardless.

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Why would he move to china? He is already getting the mega money and can live in Europe. He has absolutely no reason to leave united for two years.

Yeah sounds like we are stuck with him :/

Yeah sounds like we are stuck with him :/

Yeah has to go down as the worst contract sealed by united ever. Not many of us complained much at the time of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yeah has to go down as the worst contract sealed by united ever. Not many of us complained much at the time of course.

I think a few questioned the contract length at the time but he generally did cause a lot of excitement :(

I wonder at what point United would not consider letting Sanchez leave, and trying to make use of him ourselves.

If we are to move him on in the summer it is likely it would be on a free, with continued subsidised wages (to some extent) or a loan on a similar basis. At what point would United consider that the cost of maintaining some portion of his contract while being shot of him just isn't worth it.

On a playing level, i'd say he is no worse (probably much better, still) than a guy like Chong. If used *100%* as a squad option and not tried to be shoe-horned into the first 11 cause of his name or wage there could be a place for him. Dunno if he has looked any better at Inter when he has played.

But there was the comments from Ole recently about rather having a hole than an A-Hole in the squad - and I very much think that was a pointer at Lukaku and/or Sanchez, so from Ole's point of view there may be no justification (financial or otherwise) for keeping Sanchez at United (despite what he has said in press-conferences).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Linked with Sterling to scare Dortmund into thinking we've moved on from Sancho?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

How many signings do you think we will make? I think the Ighalo loan extension has ruled out signing a striker for now. RW is the main priority and i expect we will def sign one with Sancho top of the list but with Covid19 and Brexit, maybe thats all the business we will do. Would 1 signing do given the circumstances? i would like to see us get a RW, Striker, Midfielder and Centre back with the players below most heavily linked.

RW - Jadon Sancho, Thiago Almada, David Brooks and Rabbi Matondo
    Striker - Ighalo, Moussa Dembele, Timo Werner, Odsonne Edouard
    Midfield - Jack Grealish, Kai Havertz, Jude Bellingham, Saul Niguez,
    Centre Back - Joe Rodon

After RW, which is the next priority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone have any idea when we'll hear the Man City CAS decision?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Linked with Sterling to scare Dortmund into thinking we've moved on from Sancho?

Haha, I genuinely can't think of a more insane rumour.

An ex-Liverpool player who is currently at City. Not a chance we would be after him. Not because he's not a great player (Sterling - Rashford - Sancho would be amazing) but because I cannot see any world in which he'd join nor City would sell (even with their CL ban).

Its like they threw the dart at the dartboard, and despite how stupid a rumour it sounds, they decided to run with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Headshot wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when we'll hear the Man City CAS decision?

The hearing is scheduled this month, think it may be the 10th, not entirely sure though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

damowill wrote: »
    How many signings do you think we will make? I think the Ighalo loan extension has ruled out signing a striker for now. RW is the main priority and i expect we will def sign one with Sancho top of the list but with Covid19 and Brexit, maybe thats all the business we will do. Would 1 signing do given the circumstances? i would like to see us get a RW, Striker, Midfielder and Centre back with the players below most heavily linked.

Centre Back - Joe Rodon

I saw dembele was linked with a £40m move to liverpool. know he's a right winger and cost barce €130m (i think?) so cant see them selling for that low!

i dont know much about him, but surely utd already had a look given their scouting network. how good is he and whats his temperament like?

Haha, I genuinely can't think of a more insane rumour.

An ex-Liverpool player who is currently at City. Not a chance we would be after him. Not because he's not a great player (Sterling - Rashford - Sancho would be amazing) but because I cannot see any world in which he'd join nor City would sell (even with their CL ban).

Its like they threw the dart at the dartboard, and despite how stupid a rumour it sounds, they decided to run with it.

Sterling was a United supporter growing up.

but there is no chance City would sell him, or at least not to us. He was linked with a move to Madrid, which would make more sense.

As always, I think there are elements of truth to the stories. If United are looking at forwards, it would make sense that all top level forwards would be analysed and evaluated by the various teams. Doens't mean we make a move for him, but it is correct that United should evaluate players that could be available, even if they then dismiss the transfer for not being possible.

damowill wrote: »

Centre Back - Joe Rodon

I would guess 2-3 signings. Sancho the main signing and then one or two lesser signings.

There were rumours yesterday that we had bid for Koulibaly so who knows?

RW is definitely priority. After that a CB or MF. We have numbers in both positions but I’m not sure we have the quality.

Anytime I get down about the team and the last few years I think of the last few weeks played where Bruno was an absolute star. I know it’s early days but I’d be looking to build a team around him already.

Trigger wrote: »
    The hearing is scheduled this month, think it may be the 10th, not entirely sure though

Between 10 and 12th, don't know if that means they expect it to go on for three days, or if there is an element of timing within that window.

I would guess 2-3 signings. Sancho the main signing and then one or two lesser signings.

RW is definitely priority. After that a CB or MF. We have numbers in both positions but I’m not sure we have the quality.

Anytime I get down about the team and the last few years I think of the last few weeks played where Bruno was an absolute star. I know it’s early days but I’d be looking to build a team around him already.

I reckon it could be just two signings. Sancho (certain that United want this one, and will do everything they can to make it happen) and one other.

May depend on sales or who we can move on. If Lingard and Pereira can be moved on, then a midfielder is likely. If they can't, then we may not be able to bring in a midfielder (as I don't think Pogba will be going) - simply from a numbers/budget point of view.

I think a realistic summer would be Sancho, Bellingham and someone like Rodon - with Smalling, Jones, Pereira, Lingard out the door.

Also I know the loan extension of Ighalo is supposedly to leave the search for a top striker for next year and I’m ok with that but if the rumours of Aubameyang being available for £20 million Utd should be all over that.

Also I know the loan extension of Ighalo is supposedly to leave the search for a top striker for next year and I’m ok with that but if the rumours of Aubameyang being available for £20 million Utd should be all over that.

I think Ighalo gives United breathing room, but that they will sign a striker if they can secure the right deal (dembele for example).

Auba is a better striker than Ighalo, not arguing otherwise, but they are basically the exact same age (2 days between them). Should United not be looking longer term, even at a cut price, if we are making an additional striker signing?

I reckon it could be just two signings. Sancho (certain that United want this one, and will do everything they can to make it happen) and one other.

May depend on sales or who we can move on. If Lingard and Pereira can be moved on, then a midfielder is likely. If they can't, then we may not be able to bring in a midfielder (as I don't think Pogba will be going) - simply from a numbers/budget point of view.

I think a realistic summer would be Sancho, Bellingham and someone like Rodon - with Smalling, Jones, Pereira, Lingard out the door.

Be interesting to see how Ole fits Pogba and Bruno in the same team.

I hope Bruno doesn’t get moved about to accommodate Pogba which I fear he will. No doubt both will be starters.

I’ve seen some line ups here with Pogba deeper and Bruno as a no 10. I’d nearly swap that around. If Pogba is to be in the team give him as little defensive responsibility as possible. Bruno is better at that aspect imo.

Maybe Bruno as a box to box player with Pogba with a free role behind the striker(s). No a traditional 10 but in that pocket or a little deeper.
    You would only play one of Fred, Matic of McTominay then and I’m not sure that offers enough cover for the defence. Could be tweaked for the bigger games I suppose.

Could all change depending on the transfer window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I heard City are in for Koulibaly, Napoli want to sell and he wants to leave. By all accounts, he was poor this season and it looks like Napoli missed the boat in selling high last season. His age (29) and poor season will see him bought for a reduced fee id say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement