Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think Ighalo gives United breathing room, but that they will sign a striker if they can secure the right deal (dembele for example).

Auba is a better striker than Ighalo, not arguing otherwise, but they are basically the exact same age (2 days between them). Should United not be looking longer term, even at a cut price, if we are making an additional striker signing?

They should but for £20 million he should be snapped up imo. I know you have to build a squad according to need and should prioritise position, type and age of player wanted etc but sometimes players come up that are too good a deal to turn down. If they were looking for £40-50 million for him I’d spend the money elsewhere or wait until a longer term striker could be signed the following season.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I think a realistic summer would be Sancho, Bellingham and someone like Rodon - with Smalling, Jones, Pereira, Lingard out the door.

Ya after Sancho i can see us getting Bellingham and Rodon, both at Championship clubs desperate for money. Both young and with lowish fees, they would be low risk.

A lot depends on if Villa get relegated, as then Grealish becomes a real possibility.

Bayern Leverkusen want to cash in on Havertz and he has been all the talk this season. He is versatile as well, and has played in midfield, wing and as a fale striker.

Smalling looks certain to leave but hard to get rid of Lingard and Jones on their wages. Pereira was given so many opportunities to increase his value last season and didnt so will prob be kept as a squad player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Linked with Sterling to scare Dortmund into thinking we've moved on from Sancho?

Real Madrid linked with Sancho to counter that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

adox wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how Ole fits Pogba and Bruno in the same team.

I hope Bruno doesn’t get moved about to accommodate Pogba which I fear he will. No doubt both will be starters.

I’ve seen some line ups here with Pogba deeper and Bruno as a no 10. I’d nearly swap that around. If Pogba is to be in the team give him as little defensive responsibility as possible. Bruno is better at that aspect imo.

Maybe Bruno as a box to box player with Pogba with a free role behind the striker(s). No a traditional 10 but in that pocket or a little deeper.
    You would only play one of Fred, Matic of McTominay then and I’m not sure that offers enough cover for the defence. Could be tweaked for the bigger games I suppose.

Could all change depending on the transfer window.

I'd be the same on Bruno/Pogba.

I find it interesting that in one of the matches (can't remember which) we brought on Pereira and played him at 10 with Bruno deep. Should have been the other way around, we were searching for a goal - but could indicate a plan for Bruno/Pogba.

Ideally, I think Ole will hope a midfield of Bruno, Pogba and McT or Fred would be responsible enough and work enough that all three would defend and attack, and work as a group. We all, all at this point, sh1t on Pogba defensively but stats wise he isn't that bad, he's just a lot more noticable when he is caught out or at fault. I also do think that in a better functioning team and midfield, Pogba will be more switched on. I think when he is in a winning team, a team competing and performing, he is more attentive and responsible. (100% that is indeed a criticism of him and his application...) but I do think if the United team in general is better, we will see a better Pogba.

I'd be the same on Bruno/Pogba.

I find it interesting that in one of the matches (can't remember which) we brought on Pereira and played him at 10 with Bruno deep. Should have been the other way around, we were searching for a goal - but could indicate a plan for Bruno/Pogba.

Ideally, I think Ole will hope a midfield of Bruno, Pogba and McT or Fred would be responsible enough and work enough that all three would defend and attack, and work as a group. We all, all at this point, sh1t on Pogba defensively but stats wise he isn't that bad, he's just a lot more noticable when he is caught out or at fault. I also do think that in a better functioning team and midfield, Pogba will be more switched on. I think when he is in a winning team, a team competing and performing, he is more attentive and responsible. (100% that is indeed a criticism of him and his application...) but I do think if the United team in general is better, we will see a better Pogba.

I hope so. I have my doubts(being among his biggest critics on here) but I’d much prefer to see a successful Pogba in the team than “be right” about him.

Bruno has just stocked the optimism in me again about the team. Can’t wait for the footie to be back tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The only reservation I'd have about Auba is that he is likely going to want colossal wages. If his form drops we would be stuck with another player we cant get rid of. Wonder would arsenal consider Lingard in a swap deal a la Mikhi and Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Rashford really showing himself to be a brilliant fella. Similarities to Defoe here. Good on him, but the video would break your heart.

https://twitter.com/marcusrashford/status/1268462340359495680?s=21

eigrod wrote: »
    Rashford really showing himself to be a brilliant fella. Similarities to Defoe here. Good on him, but the video would break your heart.

Lingard also reached out.

https://twitter.com/TyaMUFC/status/1268448830053249024

This is why I am defensive of Lingard with regards to people sh1tting on him over his characater. Talk yesterday of him having a big ego that he doesn't back up and thats why he's fair game.

IMO he acts a tool on Social Media - but imo it is generally just him seeming childish - rather than acting like he is a world class footballer and everyone should bow down to him (He was compared to Zlatan in his ego).

But I also see this from him, loads - reaching out to fans, getting involved with them. Him and Rashford are excellent at treating fans right and getting involved,

I think people see immaturity, and latch on to it unfairly.

Just google Lingard as a kid or on YouTube and you’ll see him at Utd as a child doing some training with Ronaldo, Keane etc.

Yeah he may be immature and his social media may annoy but I don’t think he’s in anyway a Billy Big Balls or I’ve made it type character.

Edit:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

eigrod wrote: »

thats both vile and heartbreaking!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Biggest thing that annoys me about Lingard is the endless posts about Lingard!

I’ll wrap it up and we can move on.....

He seems like a nice guy. Bit childish for his age but sure who really cares. He has performed really well in the past but seems to be on a long term slump of form. Whether he stays or goes I don’t think any of us are going to celebrate either way.

The End.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Rashford the legend

*oops double post

Rashford is a class act. Got his head screwed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

damowill wrote: »
    thats both vile and heartbreaking!!

And that's just the fellas accent. Some horrible scum out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If we had played them before the break I have been very confident we would have won. The vibes seem be good in the camp at minute so still confident we at least will pick up something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

If we had played them before the break I have been very confident we would have won. The vibes seem be good in the camp at minute so still confident we at least will pick up something

Rashford, Pogba and Bruno..... Spurs have no chance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

'Lads, it's Tottenham'

5 subs and 9 on the bench.

Bet Gomes still doesn't make it!

Will be interesting to see which players are added to the bench, if guys like Gomes or Garner are added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think with a fully fit squad it'd still be difficult for the likes of Gomes and Garner to get into a matchday 20.

Garner will be going out on loan next season so no real need to have him feature.

AWB
    Lindelof
    Maguire
    Shaw
    Williams
    Bailly
    Dalot / Jones
    McT
    Fred
    Pogba
    Ferndandes
    Matic
    Pereira
    Rashford
    Martial
    James
    Ighalo
    Greenwood
    Mata
    Lingard

Dan James has registered 6 assists in the Premier League this season.

More than:

Bernardo Silva (5)
    Willian (5)
    Dele Alli (4)
    Felipe Anderson (4)
    James Maddison (3)
    Gylfi Sigurdsson (2)
    Mesut Özil (2)
    Raheem Sterling (1)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[Christian Falk] The Kai Havertz poker. At the table for a a transfer 2020 or 2021: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, and of course Bayern Munich.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    [Christian Falk] The Kai Havertz poker. At the table for a a transfer 2020 or 2021: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, and of course Bayern Munich.

2 years, and a selection of top teams. He's certainly giving himself the best chance of being right!

Can't see United going for him this summer, unless its as an alternative to Sancho, cause we wont buy both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cant ever see a highly rated young German not picking Bayern 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Are people confident in Sancho signing? There’s a bang of Thiago, Fabregas, Hazard and the rest of the gang off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Are people confident in Sancho signing? There’s a bang of Thiago, Fabregas, Hazard and the rest of the gang off it.

I've assumed it's done already. But it's not of course. Very likely imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

No. I think he will remain at Dortmund one more year especially now that the Euros have been pushed back. I don't think he will risk a big move before then.

We will buy 2 players max over the summer in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

MattS1 wrote: »
    I've assumed it's done already. But it's not of course. Very likely imo.

Whenever United are linked with the ideal player for a position that badly needs filling, it just doesn’t work out. Once bitten and all that...
    He’ll surely have much better options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Whenever United are linked with the ideal player for a position that badly needs filling, it just doesn’t work out. Once bitten and all that...
    He’ll surely have much better options?

We shall see but I'm not sure he will have that many options. Madrid/Barca unlikely, not many teams in the prem could afford him leaving the options pretty short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Liverpool perhaps now that Werner looks like he's off to Chelsea. They may move Salah on. Real were sniffing about for him. Klopp would also have s great relationship with Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

billyhead wrote: »
    Liverpool perhaps now that Werner looks like he's off to Chelsea. They may move Salah on. Real were sniffing about for him. Klopp would also have s great relationship with Dortmund.

Mane is the player Real want. Salah isn't going anywhere. And Liverpool won't go for Sancho if that's what you're talking about the relationship.

I think Werner will be massive for Chelsea but Ziyech arguably could be just as influential.

Havertz will go to Bayern I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm confident in Sancho IF we get champions league. But I'm also getting more confident that we can get him even without it now.

I also think he's everything Woodward seems to like right now; young, English, big name, position we need to fill, and seems to be one of the only targets we're after so are fully focused on.

(Now, I'm also aware that every summer window that opens, I get optamistic, and every summer window, I end very disappointed...)

Hopefully we will see the real Pogba this season. If he got his act together we could have great season.

3 players away from being very good imo. But don't think we will get them all

• Advertisement

Hasn’t it been reported that Sancho wants to move back to England?

I’d be fairly optimistic about it based on nothing in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

We have absolutely no idea how these 9 games will pan out. I’d guess we will do well as Pogba and Rashford being back is good. And regardless of what anyone thinks Pogba will be motivated to play brilliantly for these 9 games I guarantee you. Perfect for him not to have to deal with a moaning crowd too.

Remaining fixtures and points I think we will get

Aston Villa v Man Utd - 3

BRIGHTON v Man Utd - 3

Crystal Palace v Man Utd - 1

Leicester v Man Utd - 1

Man Utd v Sheffield Utd - 3

Man Utd v West Ham - 3

Man Utd v Southampton - 3

Man Utd v Bournemouth - 3

Spurs v Man Utd - 1

So 21 out of a possible 27, probably will be a freaky loss or two in there too so say 17 out of the 27.

Chelsea have Liverpool and City left to play, Sheffield Utd and Wolves too so you would fancy them dropping at least 3 - 5 points out of those 12.

Gonna be tight enough to get top 4 but if the team can pick up where they left off aswell as having a fit Rashford and (hopefully) motivated Pogba, I think we will do it.

There is still the question mark over Citys participation next season in the CL and there is also the possiblilty of the EL too. Would be nice to get it secured and have no pressure left in the EL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I think with a fully fit squad it'd still be difficult for the likes of Gomes and Garner to get into a matchday 20.

Garner will be going out on loan next season so no real need to have him feature.

AWB
    Lindelof
    Maguire
    Shaw
    Williams
    Bailly
    Dalot / Jones
    McT
    Fred
    Pogba
    Ferndandes
    Matic
    Pereira
    Rashford
    Martial
    James
    Ighalo
    Greenwood
    Mata
    Lingard

I like your confidence. Who needs goalkeepers anyway :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

tipperary wrote: »
    I like your confidence. Who needs goalkeepers anyway :):)

i thought he was only including outfield players, and reduced the names to account for 2 keepers! :pac:

sher DDG is over the hill

• Advertisement

Remaining fixtures and points I think we will get

Aston Villa v Man Utd - 3

BRIGHTON v Man Utd - 3

Crystal Palace v Man Utd - 1

Leicester v Man Utd - 1

Man Utd v Sheffield Utd - 3

Man Utd v West Ham - 3

Man Utd v Southampton - 3

Man Utd v Bournemouth - 3

Spurs v Man Utd - 1

So 21 out of a possible 27, probably will be a freaky loss or two in there too so say 17 out of the 27.

Chelsea have Liverpool and City left to play, Sheffield Utd and Wolves too so you would fancy them dropping at least 3 - 5 points out of those 12.

Gonna be tight enough to get top 4 but if the team can pick up where they left off aswell as having a fit Rashford and (hopefully) motivated Pogba, I think we will do it.

There is still the question mark over Citys participation next season in the CL and there is also the possiblilty of the EL too. Would be nice to get it secured and have no pressure left in the EL.

Leicester is the big one. was meant to be last game of the season, not sure if that is still the case.

city will be all-in in the CL, so will rest players for the PL. favorites to progress vs RM. that suits Chelsea. Liverpool will have the league won by then so will play players to get as many medals as possible. again, suits Chelsea.

i think its between Chelsea, utd and Leicester for top 4; and i'm going Chelsea and utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

i thought he was only including outfield players, and reduced the names to account for 2 keepers! :pac:
    This is exactly what I meant to do then somehow forgot I was only picking 18 outfield players mid post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I've been deaf 24 years and only know the alphabet, showing us all up! :pac:

Learned sign language to judge a poetry competition in a deaf school.

if that part is true, then kudos to him! that is phenomenal!

the rest I take with a pinch of salt, cos it doesn't require any hard work. this is not to say the results and funds raised weren't well needed and quite staggering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Learned sign language to judge a poetry competition in a deaf school.

if that part is true, then kudos to him! that is phenomenal!

the rest I take with a pinch of salt, cos it doesn't require any hard work. this is not to say the results and funds raised weren't well needed and quite staggering!

I think you are being a bit harsh there. He deserves all the credit he gets.

While it may not have taken a huge amount of work from him, by adding his support to something it will automatically mean that the cause will get more attention and more donations. It shows him to be a very decent young man that cares about his community and those less well off than he is. In the modern day game where players mainly seem to be completely self centred and only interested in lining their own pockets (which is fair enough given the short professional shelf life they have) it's fantastic to have an ambassador like him at our club and the cynicism is totally unnecessary. He is a proper role model.

#welldonerashford

I remember posting a while back about following United but just not having an affiliation to players in the squad. Too self centred, money hungry and that obviously didn’t help with performances on the field.

That has certainly changed IMO this season, good core group of players wanting what’s best for United.

Rashford is certainly in the ‘leader’ category for me and what he has achieved during lockdown is incredible for the local community and beyond. Whilst others broke lockdown rules, he went out of his way to use his name for the greater good.

Puts the club in a fantastic light and genuinely cares too (some online calling it PR, you don’t go to those lengths for PR IMO)

Credit to himself and the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think the club has done well in past couple of months connecting with local fans and charities again. Maybe it has been a strategy but there hasnt been much fanfare they habe just gone and done it.

They refunded fans that couldnt travel to lask, they announced early on that they would be paying up temporary staff until end of season, they used the temporary staff where possible to make meals for front line workers, they used staff and vehicles to transport nhs equipment to hospitals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement