Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I think you are being a bit harsh there. He deserves all the credit he gets.

prob being a bit harsh, but how much effort to put those together?

he's using his platform, fair play. but its the people that donated that should get the plaudits.

its like mayweather getting plaudits for writing a cheque. % wise, i could write a cheque for about 50pence and that would be a bigger cost to me.

ah fukkit, i think Im just too cynical! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

prob being a bit harsh, but how much effort to put those together?

he's using his platform, fair play. but its the people that donated that should get the plaudits.

its like mayweather getting plaudits for writing a cheque. % wise, i could write a cheque for about 50pence and that would be a bigger cost to me.

ah fukkit, i think Im just too cynical! :pac:

Regardless of the amount of effort you think it takes to do what he's doing, it's a lot less effort for him to have just sat quietly and done nothing at all.

From everything I read about Rashford he's not doing it for the plaudits anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

8-10 wrote: »
    Regardless of the amount of effort you think it takes to do what he's doing, it's a lot less effort for him to have just sat quietly and done nothing at all.

From everything I read about Rashford he's not doing it for the plaudits anyway.

you're prob correct in fairness, and i was needlessly looking to rag on rashford.

just everytime i hear something like this, i think of that scrubs episode where cox claims credit for something turk did; turk cant handle it so makes sure everyone knows it was him, purely to get the plaudits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm sure we were linked with him before, can remember having a chuckle at his nickname when it came up

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Pretty sure they called Pogba the octopus in Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Only noticed fa cup games scheduled aswell, delighted with that would love to win it this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

2 weeks till football is back!

Excited-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-10.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lord TSC wrote: »
    2 weeks till football is back!

Excited-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-10.gif

Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We can wait that long can't we

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Still in 2 cups and top 4 still up for grabs so really looking forward to seeing how we can finish this season.

Top 4 and a trophy would be great

Manchester United are negotiating a deal for Velez Sarsfield youngster Thiago Almada, according to Fichajes.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Manchester United are negotiating a deal for Velez Sarsfield youngster Thiago Almada, according to Fichajes.

This is a tale of the unknowns!!!!

Player? Never heard of him..

Team? Never heard of them?

Source? Never heard of him.

But I really hope we sign this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jayo26 wrote: »

Football manager wonder kid...

I think the reports from them on Bruno were good. Definitely remember hearing off them before.

I looked him up on YouTube a few weeks ago. Wasn't that impressed. Looked quick with a powerful strike, but the clip had few goals and some over hit passes.

Obviously , don't judge a player on YouTube, but a poor YouTube vid is surely damming!

He's only 19, so I'd guess he's more of a "one for the future" prospect. Apparently has a €20m release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

He’s deadly after a few years on Fifa career mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Drumpot wrote: »
    He’s deadly after a few years on Fifa career mode.

+1 in Football Manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I like him, good DM.

I also like carvalho when he was young and casemiro and we got neither when I was excited to be linked with a proper DM to hold midfield so I won't get my hopes up this time, would be a shrewd move

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/squawka/status/1269192306277507074?s=21

Somewhat under rated IMO. Mad he went for Fulham before United. Got his best years at United.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Classy move from the young man, seems t be a top lad fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Some quotes from Ole out there saying that he'll be rotating a fair amount and making plenty use of the 5 subs, especially when it comes to the lads who've been out for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I think you are being a bit harsh there. He deserves all the credit he gets.

Agreed. Everyone puts the boot in when they do wrong, so only right to give credit where its due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I really hope Rashford manages to get the goals he needs to break into the 50 PL goals before turning 23 club. He's got until the end of October to get 9 more.

Felt like it was an absolute certainty before his lay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Somewhat under rated IMO. Mad he went for Fulham before United. Got his best years at United.

The Fulham move was pure odd. He’s winning plenty with Ajax then off to Juve, VERY highly regarded playing Champions League Football for an entertaining team packed with flair and internationals, a bursting underage setup, ... then... Fulham... there bouts in a mid table dogfight, a dump of a stadium the tiny Craven cottage, Fulham itself not exactly glamorous, no real expectations beyond finishing around 11th/12th/13th...at best.

One of the best and inform goalkeepers in the world... to Fulham, why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Strumms wrote: »
    The Fulham move was pure odd. He’s winning plenty with Ajax then off to Juve, VERY highly regarded playing Champions League Football for an entertaining team packed with flair and internationals, a bursting underage setup, ... then... Fulham... there bouts in a mid table dogfight, a dump of a stadium the tiny Craven cottage, Fulham itself not exactly glamorous, no real expectations beyond finishing around 11th/12th/13th...at best.

He had been at Juve for couple of years without winning the title then was dropped to No 2 behind Buffon. The really big clubs should have been able to look past that (reference Bergkamp at Inter).
    Fulham were on the up with Jean Tigana as manager. It was a step down alright but still Premier he League to an exciting team.

Strumms wrote: »

From memory he wasn't one of the best and in form goalkeepers at the time, horribly out of form actually I think and sitting behind Buffon :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Van Der Sar spoke to four four two on his move to Fulham:
    "Around that time, there was quite a lot of movement among keepers in Italy, with Buffon signing for Juve, Francesco Toldo going to Inter Milan and Sebastien Frey moving to Parma.

"It was a kind of jostle between goalies at the top clubs, but I was left out. I then spoke to Ajax, to Liverpool and to Dortmund.

"The latter two wanted to wait until the end of the summer transfer window. I didn't want to be hanging on for that long.

"Fulham had some big ambitions – they had just won the First Division title to go into the Premier League and were signing a lot of new players.

"I just wanted to play some football. I consulted Louis van Gaal, who was the Netherlands’ national coach at the time, and he was really positive about the move.

"I saw it as maybe taking one small step back in order to then try to make several steps forward further down the line."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

From memory he wasn't one of the best and in form goalkeepers at the time, horribly out of form actually I think and sitting behind Buffon :)

He was first choice for the 2 season he spent there.second season he had a few poor performances and Buffon was signed.VDS wanted out as he didn't want to be second choice.

United were rumoured to have wanted him to replace Schmeichel in 99 but he choose Juve.Id guess United would have wanted him again when he was leaving Juve except that they had spent big on Barthez the previous summer and he had been excellent up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Fergie wanted Van Der Sar to replace Schmicheal after the treble season, but Edwards had already done a deal to sign Bosnich on a free from Villa, I remember reading that Van Der Sar got a phone call from Fergie about signing for Utd in the summer of 99 but he had already given his word to Juventus about signing for them, If we had of got Van Der Sar in 99 after Schmicheal then we have not gone through the ****e that was Bosnich, Barthez, Howard, Carroll,

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Fergie wanted Van Der Sar to replace Schmicheal after the treble season, but Edwards had already done a deal to sign Bosnich on a free from Villa, I remember reading that Van Der Sar got a phone call from Fergie about signing for Utd in the summer of 99 but he had already given his word to Juventus about signing for them, If we had of got Van Der Sar in 99 after Schmicheal then we have not gone through the ****e that was Bosnich, Barthez, Howard, Carroll,

Van Der Sar might have struggled behind our relative patchwork central defense though, once Stam got hoofed out anyway, though not nearly as much as that lot.

Anyway, I've just pondered if the club tried or looked at Werner at all. The way they seemingly went in for Haaland and then had to scramble around, I'd have thought they'd have had someone look at him. He's a better finisher than either Martial or Rashford imo. More composed, but the 3 of them in a floating front 3 could have been absolutely devastating.

That said, hope it goes tits up at Chelsea.

Seems that players were photographed arriving to training in kits today, with Pogba and Bruno seen in different ones.

Which is leading people to think there was an intra-squad friendly today. I saw Spurs put up a video of a friendly match their squad did.

I'd love to see the match :/

• Advertisement

Actually, there's pictures starting to go up.

Mason vs James (with Mason wearing 7)

https://i.redd.it/cn8jg8osfb351.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Looking forward to seeing utd play now with a full squad to pick from.

On paper a midfield of pogba fred and fernandes looks like one of the best in the league

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

bangkok wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing utd play now with a full squad to pick from.

On paper a midfield of pogba fred and fernandes looks like one of the best in the league

Welcome back. Pogba deserves at most to be on the bench though. The midfield that had found some form deserves to be the midfield starting out.

Can't have passengers in the team either.

Id wonder what type of Shape Pogba would be in too. He's basically not played competitive football since September or something other than the odd run out. "Match fitness" will of course be down across the league, and maybe something of an equaliser for a few sets of fixtures, but it's a long time without football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yep that’s the way I remember it too. He didn’t have a great time at Juve at all.

I wasn’t thinking at the time that I’d love him as a replacement for Schmeichel. Hindsight is great an all but even then he mightn’t have been the keeper he was for Utd if he didnt have his time at Fulham.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Welcome back. Pogba deserves at most to be on the bench though. The midfield that had found some form deserves to be the midfield starting out.

Can't have passengers in the team either.

Id wonder what type of Shape Pogba would be in too. He's basically not played competitive football since September or something other than the odd run out. "Match fitness" will of course be down across the league, and maybe something of an equaliser for a few sets of fixtures, but it's a long time without football.

They are all basically back in pre season training now so i reckon ole just picks the best 11 he has available to him. Bench should be very strong for the start of season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I would hate to see Scott McTominay dropped. That lad has seriously earned his stripes and deserves his starting place. The same goes for Fred. Bruno is already the best midfielder at the club and is most likely one of if not the first name on the team sheet.

I love balance of workrate and ability that midfield gives us.

It should not be changed unless form of one of the 3 lads goes seriously off the boil or injuries affect them.

You'd miss the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unless theres an injury or some kinda fitness hangover the midfield 3 should be McTominay, Fred and Bruno.

• pjohnson wrote: »
    Unless theres an injury or some kinda fitness hangover the midfield 3 should be McTominay, Fred and Bruno.

Which is technically as it was before the outbreak

Fully functional and was showing some real promise

More pictures from the game.

https://i.redd.it/5n9lj6wwqb351.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

pjohnson wrote: »

I would say it most likely will be that I’m the first game due to Pogba lack of football.

I don’t think we will get an idea of Oles thinking and MF selection until next season. The remaining games will be coming thick and fast and the players will be roatated accordingly.

pjohnson wrote: »

Yep but football doesnt work like that either. If pogba and matic are looking the sharpest in training and they were playing on the same side today in the training game and totally bossed mctominay and fred for example, then its hard to see ole not pick the first 2 and an another.

Yep but football doesnt work like that either. If pogba and matic are looking the sharpest in training and they were playing on the same side today in the training game and totally bossed mctominay and fred for example, then its hard to see ole not pick the first 2 and an another.

You're dead right.

As long as we dont start shoehorning and ruining midfielders playing them out of position it should be ok. Bruno adapted quick and gave use the control lacking for years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You're dead right.

Fred and McTominay haven't exactly been donkeys this season so Pogba and Matic must be doing something right in training.

Fred and McTominay haven't exactly been donkeys this season so Pogba and Matrix must be doing something right in training.

So we updated Matic succesfully during the mid season break. Cool. A self duplicating midfielder is very handy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Of course the manager should always pick the best team in his opinion based on all insight he has.

We don't have that level of insight though.

Is is good that it finally looks like the club have good options and choices in midfield.

It would be unfortunate if any of Matic or Fred found themselves not starting after the job Matic was doing before the break or Fred throughout the season but that is what happens if the manager has lots of options.

Fred and McTominay haven't exactly been donkeys this season so Pogba and Matrix must be doing something right in training.

Yeah personally myself i think fred, mctominay and bruno are our best hardworking midfield but who knows what ole will do.

Against the weaker sides they may be room for someone like Pogba or Andrea's Periera or indeed they may tear it up in training and earn their place in the side.

• Fred and McTominay haven't exactly been donkeys this season so Pogba and Matrix must be doing something right in training.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Pogba will definitely start the first game, Him, Bruno and one of the other 3... Not a chance in hell that a fully fit Pogba starts the Spurs game on the bench......

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Pogba will definitely start the first game, Him, Bruno and one of the other 3... Not a chance in hell that a fully fit Pogba starts the Spurs game on the bench......

Wouldn't be surprised either way tbh, he hasn't played a tap in almost 9 months realistically so actually seeing him in the starting line up first game back would be a bit more of a surprise but without seeing what goes on at training there's no point in dealing in such absolutes I guess

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement