Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Are those stats for their entire time at the club? Feels rough to judge them based on their first few years when they were both kids. Both now are better players than they were even 2 years ago.

While I would like a striker who can promise 20+ goals a year, it's worth noting that Rashford was on 14 goals in 22 league games before his injury. Martial was 11 in 22.

Overall, Rashford was on 19 goals in 27 games. Martial was 16 in 30. Greenwood had 12 goals too. All three are still well capable of hitting the 20+ goal mark once the season starts back up (maybe Greenwood less so).

This was also in spite of the derth of creativity behind them up until Bruno's arrival; with Bruno and a fit Pogba, their records might be even better, and they may have been looking at 20 league goals each.

Again, I do agree that I'd like a more prolific goalscorer. I just disagree with the idea the "only score 1 goal every 3 games" stat is fair to their development this season.

To be fair, “are capable of” and “doing” are a world away. We need these types of player now, not more ‘future planning’ ... Rashford has improved in fairness but I still him missing too many easy chances but with Martial now signed up hopefully there won’t be the distractions of Madrid and elsewhere and he can get on with fulfilling his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Drumpot wrote: »
    Was that the 3-0 fa cup game agaisnt Wimbledon? If so , was one of my favourite back then.

Yeah that was the game. I remember it was a dual showing on Sky Sports as well as Sky One so I got to see it.
    From memory Cantona got a peach of a volley to open the scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

xtal191 wrote: »

Guess we found our 20 goal striker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeah that was the game. I remember it was a dual showing on Sky Sports as well as Sky One so I got to see it.
    From memory Cantona got a peach of a volley to open the scoring.

Yep and the other goal was deadly aswell, was it a free kick? Think all three were scored in first half. It was a tough enough looking tie going into it but United were gloarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Weepsie wrote: »
    Long way off title challenge I'd wager. Would want RW, proper commanding, organising centre back, upgrade on LB, and 1 more.

More than that, manager would need an upgrade too imo.

And were not easily challenginging for 4th as is. It's been sputtering at best

We have been sputtering and dropped silly points, but we are 3 points behind 4th place. If we brought in Sancho and a top class centre half to join the likes of Bruno, Pogba and Rashford I for one would be disappointed if we only finished 4th next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

considering we don't use Rashford as a central striker, I'd have less concern over his goal stats - which I do reckon is going to improve anyway.

I'd be more concerned over Martials effeciency in front of goal, and his ability to create space with good runs and positioning - as Martial is our central striker. I think Greenwood has a better strikers instinct, but lacks physicality at the moment. Its a pitty we missed out on Haaland.

Currently, if I was budgetting and planning i'd be delighted to sign Sancho and go with him as the forward line addition this summer. I think Martial, Rashford, Sancho - backed by Greenwood and Ighalo - would be good enough in attack, along with Pogba/Bruno in midfield, for next season. I think it is probably a central stiker of top quality away from a league win when it comes down to it, but if we signed a top striker and no RW we'd be a RW off as well.

I'd be looking for United to be best of the rest, at least, after Liverpool and City next season, and then push that next step next summer.

I'd also be very interested to see what Greenwood looks like in 12 months time. Greenwood has the potential to be world class, imo. He is a cool finisher, very good on the ball and looks to have the striker instincts that martial and rashford lack, imo. His lack of height is his only downside, imo, though Aguero hasn't had a problem there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Get a RW in and give Greenwood another season to see his progression.If he keeps up this trajectory then spending huge money on a CF probably isn't needed.

I rather RW was fixed now and if Sancho was signed then his goals from there would be a huge plus and take some pressure off the strikers.Also need to add more goals to cm.

Think United are probably 4 signings off a proper title challenge and still massive question marks about Ole imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Martial still does it in flashes that would make me think if he properly applied himself he could be good enough. Alas, as with Pogba, you're kidding yourself if you keep building the hope that it's going to happen after being let down so many times.

Liam O wrote: »
    Martial still does it in flashes that would make me think if he properly applied himself he could be good enough. Alas, as with Pogba, you're kidding yourself if you keep building the hope that it's going to happen after being let down so many times.

I’ve seen a lot of games where Pogba scored important goals and had great assists, yes he has had poor games but he was our best player in a lot of games, maybe best player isn’t the right way of putting it... our most likely creator of anything..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Rock77 wrote: »
    I’ve seen a lot of games where Pogba scored important goals and had great assists, yes he has had poor games but he was our best player in a lot of games, maybe best player isn’t the right way of putting it... our most likely creator of anything..

The only game I can remember Pogba being fantastic in was the 3-2 comeback against City a couple of years ago. He has been decent in a number of games but considering his transfer fee, his wages and the fact he is supposed to be our star player, in the main, he has been dreadfully disappointing.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »

One its amazing how 2 footed Irwin was.

But i Have to laugh a little at the commentary being impressed there was at least 6 or 7 passes in the whole move, how times have changed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

considering we don't use Rashford as a central striker, I'd have less concern over his goal stats - which I do reckon is going to improve anyway.

I'd be more concerned over Martials effeciency in front of goal, and his ability to create space with good runs and positioning - as Martial is our central striker. I think Greenwood has a better strikers instinct, but lacks physicality at the moment. Its a pitty we missed out on Haaland.

Currently, if I was budgetting and planning i'd be delighted to sign Sancho and go with him as the forward line addition this summer. I think Martial, Rashford, Sancho - backed by Greenwood and Ighalo - would be good enough in attack, along with Pogba/Bruno in midfield, for next season. I think it is probably a central stiker of top quality away from a league win when it comes down to it, but if we signed a top striker and no RW we'd be a RW off as well.

I'd be looking for United to be best of the rest, at least, after Liverpool and City next season, and then push that next step next summer.

I'd also be very interested to see what Greenwood looks like in 12 months time. Greenwood has the potential to be world class, imo. He is a cool finisher, very good on the ball and looks to have the striker instincts that martial and rashford lack, imo. His lack of height is his only downside, imo, though Aguero hasn't had a problem there!

he has only gone 18, still a teenager and he is 5′ 11″, I think he has the makings of a world class player,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The only game I can remember Pogba being fantastic in was the 3-2 comeback against City a couple of years ago. He has been decent in a number of games but considering his transfer fee, his wages and the fact he is supposed to be our star player, in the main, he has been dreadfully disappointing.

Since joining United he's probably played more world class games for France than United. Says it all about him really.

Liam O wrote: »
    Since joining United he's probably played more world class games for France than United. Says it all about him really.

He’s been unhappy for a long time and in some ways he’s been right and his situation has highlighted a significantly huge issue at the club since Woodward took over. That is the issue of buying and retaining players who aren’t fully committed to the clubs cause and the clubs very slow response in fixing this.

You could argue that the state of the club and the quality of pogba (on paper anyway) makes it fair game that Pogba wants to leave. I think I Remember Rooney threatening to leave if the club didn’t sign quality players to replace the likes of Ronaldo!

The issue For me has been the other stuff that’s come with Pogba and his chalk and cheese performances for us game by game. I don’t believe that the quality United have gotten from him is worth what he cost, what he’s paid or the other baggage that’s come with him. On one level I can see why he’s struggled to remain motivated but on another he’s paid well and the least he could do was fully commit physically and mentally to the cause which I think he clearly hasn’t done.

102 prem games 25 goals 24 assists..

Pretty good and my point is he was the guy that would create something, disappointing overall yes. One of the first names on the team sheet when fit yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Before Covid-19 I would have put Grealish’s value at about 60 million and now you’d probably look to get him for 50 million considering Covid-19 and possible relegation.

But I’m seeing 80million being talked about in gossip columns and articles. If Villa are trying to set the negotiation bar at 80 million then he can stay there.

If we keep Pogba then I still think we need another quality midfielder but we really need the Sancho deal to happen. That Right Wing/Forward role has been a problem for 10 years.

Pretty good and my point is he was the guy that would create something, disappointing overall yes. One of the first names on the team sheet when fit yes.

A few penos padding those stats and quite often if he wasn’t scoring or assisting he wasn’t doing a lot.

He’s a world class midfielder, of that there is no doubt in my mind. I don’t believe united have gotten the full benefits of that sort of talent. Partially down to a lack of quality around him but also partially down to his attitude/application at times. He’s so good he can’t be punished or called out on it, that’s why nobody really talks about it, he’s our best player and like every other club, best players get away with crap that the majority of the squad don’t.

Less than a 1 in 4 hit rate for the "star" creative player isn't great imo. 7 of those goals were also penalties.

Less than a 1 in 4 hit rate for the "star" creative player isn't great imo. 7 of those goals were also penalties.

To be fair he’s not a striker and Peno’s still have to be scored.

I believe we are much better with Pogba in the team

To be fair he’s not a striker and Peno’s still have to be scored.

I believe we are much better with Pogba in the team

A motivated, gives a fcuk Pogba, absolutely.

The Pogba we have seen for the majority of his time back at the club, absolutely not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bild reporting that the CL and EL will be finished over August in Lisbon, World Cup style.

Which means no real break, right? Its going to be great when football comes back, going through an intense few weeks with the league, straight into the EL while the transfer window is open, rolling straight into a new season then.

Am I wrong when I think of Donny van de Beek as another McTominay type with a bit more experience in the attacking department?

I really don’t mind if it’s true that we want him but with Pogba still in the squad it feels like we’re overstocked in midfield. Maybe losing Perreira Lingard and Mata would level that off a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

GSPfan wrote: »
    Am I wrong when I think of Donny van de Beek as another McTominay type with a bit more experience in the attacking department?

I really don’t mind if it’s true that we want him but with Pogba still in the squad it feels like we’re overstocked in midfield. Maybe losing Perreira Lingard and Mata would level that off a bit.

Nobody and I repeat nobody wants mata off the squad. Keep him even as a squad member. He seems to keep a lot of the players happy

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nobody and I repeat nobody wants mata off the squad. Keep him even as a squad member. He seems to keep a lot of the players happy

In the brief amount of time on pitch they've had together, him and Bruno have been fantastic. Finally another player with a quick footballing brain that sees the space and such as Mata does and keep its simple when required.

Lots of players in that squad with super skill and technique, Pogba more than any probably, but barely a bit of genuine footballing intelligence so to speak.

If i was to take all the rumours of these last few months i would have to guess that we are in the market for a RW, a CM, and a CB.

RW - Sancho is a definite target. No doubt about it. Havertz is another popping up on the radar that fits that area of the pitch.

CM - Whether you believe Grealish is a CM or a LW or an AM it doesn’t really matter. He is a midfielder at heart. We are linked to Jude Bellingham for months. We get random links to Partey and other DM’s. We now have credible links to Van De Beek.

CD - This is a weird one but we’ve kept a consistent link to Koulibaly. We’ve also rather suspiciously had reported interest in Upamecano. We seem to be looking for a CD. Not sure why but if Rojo Jones and Smalling go it’s possible. We also have interest in Rodon too.

Everton and Newcastle come to mind immediately for me.

No disrespect to either of those teams but we should be beating them without much hassle anyway so a player being outstanding against them isnt worth bragging (I dont mean you are bragging btw, just generally speaking) about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No disrespect to either of those teams but we should be beating them without much hassle anyway so a player being outstanding against them isnt worth bragging (I dont mean you are bragging btw, just generally speaking) about.

If it was 7/8 years ago I would agree with that, but the team has been woeful for the most part through those years and I cant remember a game we went into recently where i thought to myself, we should beat these without much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Newcastle have been a bogey team recently these are the types of should be winnable games that are causing the slide down the table if they get new owners and a cash injection they will be right up there in the coming years.

Erm, that doesn't matter though.

He was superb, amazing, in both games.

The newcastle one stands out particularly cause i reckon if the team had just downed tools Mourinho would have been out the door. But they responded and came back brilliantly, with Pogba dropping deep (we had someone sent off, didn't we?) and dictating the game and the comeback from a deep position. Was the type of performance we would expect to see from our 'star' man, but don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Chelsea at home in the league and chelsea away in fa cup he was excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Pogba in general has performed pretty well in big games.

I'm one of his biggest fans. I think hes gotten a ridiculously raw deal from the press and fans. In my eyes he is most definitely not and was not the problem with the team. I think he was sold a raw deal. Made the move back from Juve I'd say with the promise of a big rebuild. He is no angel and he made mistakes in the press but on the pitch the only thing he is guilty of is trying to force it too often. Never shy's away from looking for the ball even in places where he prob shouldn't be looking for it.

People go on about his character when everyone whoever talks about him whether it be managers (bar Mourinho who imo used him as scapegoat), current or ex team mates; say he's a leader and a really good influence.

We will 100% regret it if we do not back him now and keep him for next season. Sign a right winger and let him play with Bruno and a maturing Rashford. There are very few world class players knocking around at moment within our reach. We need to be keeping hold of the one's we already have.

Team has just been so unbalanced since he got here and poor signings have not allowed him to fulfil his potential

The really interesting thing is that a fully focused Pogba really could be a game changer. Fa cup, euro league cup and 4th spot are possible with him firing on all cylinders , assuming that the team can maintain and build on their pre break form.. I don’t expect this sort of success but if this happened it could potentially make next season look like a completely different prospect. Right now there’s still lots of questions over the squad and the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement

Still surprised that Sanchez and smalling may not be able to finish the season with united. You’d think that The authorities would show a little cop on and amend the rules so loaned players can play for parent clubs under the current circumstances.

It’s not I suppose a huge issue but why should clubs be allowed to sign and use new players (who would normally not be available until the next season) but clubs can’t use players who could theoretically be now available for the rest of the season.

It’s not I suppose a huge issue but why should clubs be allowed to sign and use new players (who would normally not be available until the next season)

eh, what?

They can't.

What are you seeing that shows otherwise cause i have seen nothing at all about teams being able to register new signings.

Smalling would be continuing his loan for this season without a change in registration. Same as United being able to continue the loan and registration of Ighalo.

I think the new loan agreement might even be for next season, with the obligation to buy being in 2021.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Still surprised that Sanchez and smalling may not be able to finish the season with united. You’d think that The authorities would show a little cop on and amend the rules so loaned players can play for parent clubs under the current circumstances.

It’s not I suppose a huge issue but why should clubs be allowed to sign and use new players (who would normally not be available until the next season) but clubs can’t use players who could theoretically be now available for the rest of the season.

Are they allowed use new players?

I thought only players registered at the end of the last premier league squad registration period would be allowed to play in the premier league. Sanchez and Smalling were not on the premier league list which would make them ineligible.

I thought only players registered at the end of the last premier league squad registration period would be allowed to play in the premier league. Sanchez and Smalling were not on the premier league list which would make them ineligible.

Yeah sure even so while the transfer window opens on June 10th(has this even been confirmed) I dont think the normal registration period(for next season etc) opens until July 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Not a fan of Pogba but he was the only non liverpool/city player voted in team of the year last season so he played ok obviously. Be interesting to see how him and Bruno adapt together. I'm hoping we dont play 2 defensive players in the middle. One of Matic/Fred/McT and make sure Bruno and Pogba know their responsibilities go in the other direction too. Need as many creative players on the field as possible.

• Advertisement

eh, what?

They can't.

What are you seeing that shows otherwise cause i have seen nothing at all about teams being able to register new signings.

Smalling would be continuing his loan for this season without a change in registration. Same as United being able to continue the loan and registration of Ighalo.

I think the new loan agreement might even be for next season, with the obligation to buy being in 2021.

Ah ok, I thought new players could actually play for clubs, presumed it worked off registration with club. That’s a bit weird but interesting, suppose it’s fairer. Interesting if league starts much later, I wonder will new league be started by September!!

Yeh, looks like I was wrong , ah well.

Not a fan of Pogba but he was the only non liverpool/city player voted in team of the year last season so he played ok obviously. Be interesting to see how him and Bruno adapt together. I'm hoping we dont play 2 defensive players in the middle. One of Matic/Fred/McT and make sure Bruno and Pogba know their responsibilities go in the other direction too. Need as many creative players on the field as possible.

I personally think he was voted on reputation rather than performances

I think Pogba is a very good player.

Yet I am not glad he is at United. His performances, for many reasons are up and down. I think the level of investment in him was a mistake as the club needed more spread of quality at the time he was bought.

Pogba to me was a guy bought a couple of years early and for where United wanted to be. After a few games his role started to change and kept changing as the manager lost confidence in the team.

The Watford away game (a 3-1 loss) was almost Di Maria at Leicester where the manager lost confidence in his plan early on - it was the third loss in a week. The first time since 2002 that Jose had such a run. United had Zlatan, Rashford, Martial, Rooney and Pogba all in the team. Fellaini was the CM alongside Pogba. But the result but the fear into Jose.

This was also the start of only Rashford or Martial.

Fellaini went out, Rooney went out, Martial went out and Herrera; Mata; Lingard were in for the next game that went well thanks to a great first half (v Leicester at OT). Yet the next league game, without an early goal was a 1-1 at OT v Stoke.

United only won 2 of 9 league games that followed THE leicester game as things continued to chop and change with no rhythm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Trigger wrote: »
    I personally think he was voted on reputation rather than performances

when ole came in first, pogba was brilliant for around 12-15 games. at one point he was 3rd or 4th favourite for player of the year. he also had some excellent games earlier in the season under jose

bangkok wrote: »
    when ole came in first, pogba was brilliant for around 12-15 games. at one point he was 3rd or 4th favourite for player of the year. he also had some excellent games earlier in the season under jose

I dont think a player should be in the team of the season for playing well in 10-15 games of a 50+ game season. Even in those games you mention he was hot and cold, he had some moments of magic in the some games but overall he was anonymous. A bit like the way Rooney went in his later years.

Consistency should be key to selecting the team of the year. I would have someone who gives me 7 or 8/10 every week than someone that gives me a couple of 9 or 10's a few 7's and the majority of 5's and 6's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think Sanco, a top class CB and a lb and I would be confident of a title challenge

Look at the difference since Bruno came in it shows what a quality player can bring

Martial has done very well and I would like to see him with the service of a top class rw player like Sanco

Then I know a big if but if Pogba could perform to the level he should

Greenwood will be a year older

Liverpool showed with Allison and Van Dijk that two top class players can make a huge difference

A lot of its but if we get in two or three first team players I would be confident for next year

Pogba, the quintessential Marmite of footballers :pac:

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I think Sanco, a top class CB and a lb and I would be confident of a title challenge

Look at the difference since Bruno came in it shows what a quality player can bring

Martial has done very well and I would like to see him with the service of a top class rw player like Sanco

Then I know a big if but if Pogba could perform to the level he should

Greenwood will be a year older

Liverpool showed with Allison and Van Dijk that two top class players can make a huge difference

A lot of its but if we get in two or three first team players I would be confident for next year

I think we go into every season saying add to certain positions and we will be well set.

While I agree recruitment is important I think the key thing for United is to continue resetting standards, bringing the right qualities together on the people side.

United have fallen into the trap of chasing players and spending big without having the the right base in place to see them do well.

United may be very close to that after a lot of player changes in recent times. It may take another while but the impact Bruno had certainly gives hope that (1) the club are now looking at the person as well as their on pitch qualities and (2) have the right base to see quality players come in and not get 'lost' in a mess of change.

That is fair - I suppose it is not a big change from the early Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson, Berbatov, Rooney, Carrick etc 'marmite' views.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wanna have a chat about Nani? :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement