Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    But there's zero way I see us signing VDB AND wanting to sign Havertz, AND keeping Pogba....

Purely based on money? On structured deals there isn't realy a reason United couldn't spend 120million or so on them.

havertz could be played up front, so it isn't a midfield issue.

I reckon Havertz could be a superb Firminho type player, playing up front. Add in Sancho (money, all the money!) and have Rashford and Sancho coming from wide with Havertz creating spaces and links. Would be amazing, imo.

With Havertz, I just can't see how we would sign him and Sancho, and my assumption is United want Sancho more than Havertz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Purely based on money? On structured deals there isn't realy a reason United couldn't spend 120million or so on them.

havertz could be played up front, so it isn't a midfield issue.

I reckon Havertz could be a superb Firminho type player, playing up front. Add in Sancho (money, all the money!) and have Rashford and Sancho coming from wide with Havertz creating spaces and links. Would be amazing, imo.

With Havertz, I just can't see how we would sign him and Sancho, and my assumption is United want Sancho more than Havertz.

Is Havertz not another Bruno/Pogba style player? I've not seen much of Firminho but I think its he plays as a slightly deeper center forward, with Mane and Salah as wider attackers in front of him?

I think we could, theoretically, spend big if there was ambition to do so.

Lingard and Perierra should net us at least 25m between them. Smalling 15m or so. Bailly could possibly be 10-15. If we could get Sanchez' wages off the book somehow, it would be great.

There's the thought that we could sell DDG, and trust in Henderson. That would get us a chunk of change too. I saw chatter yesterday that Henderson is being offered another new contract.

So, Sancho, Havertz and VDB would be round €220m worth of buys. Probably heavily structured given current circumstances.

Could probably do 50-60m in sales.

Would the club go all in and spend 170m net? I think we could, but it would be a level of ambition that we've not seen from Woody in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah what the hell is Havertz exactly? He seems to be a Müller/Götze type that just seems to exist in the final third with no defined position and always drifting.

Is Havertz not another Bruno/Pogba style player? I've not seen much of Firminho but I think its he plays as a slightly deeper center forward, with Mane and Salah as wider attackers in front of him?

I think we could, theoretically, spend big if there was ambition to do so.

Lingard and Perierra should net us at least 25m between them. Smalling 15m or so. Bailly could possibly be 10-15. If we could get Sanchez' wages off the book somehow, it would be great.

There's the thought that we could sell DDG, and trust in Henderson. That would get us a chunk of change too. I saw chatter yesterday that Henderson is being offered another new contract.

So, Sancho, Havertz and VDB would be round €220m worth of buys. Probably heavily structured given current circumstances.

Could probably do 50-60m in sales.

Would the club go all in and spend 170m net? I think we could, but it would be a level of ambition that we've not seen from Woody in years.

Havertz has played basically everywhere for Bayer.

CM, AM, FW, FR, MR.... everywhere kinda.

Mostly he has played as an AM and up front.

Previous to this season he was a midfielder, but this season he has played up top more.

From my understanding, many see him progressing as a forward player, anywhere across the front line, which would be in keeping with whatOle seems to want in our player - fluidity.

Yes, Firminho would play slightly deeper than a lead striker. his role is to facilitate Mane and Salah by pulling defenders away, linking passes into them and being a main point of creation for them. I could see Havertz being similar, and it is something I have said I wanted to see at United previously. I'm not saying he'd be a lead the line forward holding the ball up. He'd be a player that roams around and drops off the front link to play into Rashford (and Sancho please!). in the same way Firminho creates space for others or drops into space for himself, I think Havertz would be superb at doing too.

Chelsea could be looking at him as an AM. I could be wrong on how he could be used or progress as a false 9, United might not see him as that at all. If we don't see him in that role, but see him as a number 10/midfielder, then I would agree it would need to be at the expense of Pogba, with Bruno and someone else behind him.

My transfer muppet hat would love to see him as a false 9.

---Rasford
    Sancho
    Havertz

Pogba----McTominay--Bruno

Shaw---Maguire---Lindelof---AWB

DDG

Romero, Williams, Dalot, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Fred, Matic, Van Der Beek, Mata, James, Martial, Greenwood.

I like the look of that squad and the selections available within it.

I don't see us selling DDG. his new contract has him tied here now. I think if we wanted to go with Henderson, we needed to let DDG go last summer or this summer on a free. I think Henderson will end up being sold, probably next summer.

United could use the money they have, and the financial muscle they could call upon, this summer and blow most clubs out of the water. Like Chelsea look to be attempting to do. Many clubs won't be able to spend, while United can.

Whether we could spend 160net I don't know, I would have said yes previous summers, and we didn't. This summer will be more difficult in that regard.

However, if they can do it you could argue that with Sancho, havertz and VDB - that there would be the potential to not need to spend for a couple of years after that, unless you are replacing sales. Rashford, Sancho, Havertz, Greenwood, Martial all young. Pogba, VDB, McTominay, Fred, Bruno going nowhere (on an age basis) any time soon with Meijb or whatever his name is and Garner highly rated as midfield talents as well.

Williams, AWB, Maguire all good ages. Dalot maybe does something. Tuanzebe could still make an impack. Menghi or whatever his name is, is highly rated.

DDG contract for years yet, and if he goes we potentially have Henderson to call on.

Odds are if we don't sigh a forward this summer (lets say Havertz) we need to sign one next summer anyway - so if you can absorb the cost this summer and get a jump on it...... do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

GSPfan wrote: »

Sanchez will end up in China surely. They’ll pay the silly wages and he’ll love it.

No reason for Sanchez to go to China,hes already on silly money.

Stay put and he has 2 years on 400k no matter what happens.He can be bought off for huge money or United can subsidise his wage will on loan.

He holds all the aces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

bayern munich played leverkusen the other day and Kai Havertz was left out of the squad completely so id say he will move to Bayern

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

pjohnson wrote: »

Park is that player that would be a 7/10 every week every squad needs a player like that, knows his role and just gets on with it

Park is that player that would be a 7/10 every week every squad needs a player like that, knows his role and just gets on with it

i would say he is an 8 or 9 every week, did the job exactly he was asked to do and scored some big goals in big games, never let utd down. Him and fletcher were 2 fantastic midfielders for us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Dutch sources saying United are preparing a £36m bid for Van De Beek.

Chelsea journalists are saying they are readying a ~75m bid for Havertz, but are saying we're after him too.

Could just be a narrative to make it looks like Chelsea beat us to a signing, but I don't think Chelsea need to stroke their egos in the same way other teams do.

But there's zero way I see us signing VDB AND wanting to sign Havertz, AND keeping Pogba....

Chelsea also look on the verge on signing Timo Werner, beating Liverpool to it and to do likewise with us and Havertz and Hakim Ziyech seems destined to join them also. It could be a great window for Chelsea if they pull this off.

I heard Klopp saying something like its simply about cash in vs out and they can't justify spend atm with covid. Thats where Chelsea have a massive advantage in this window over other clubs, Abramovich will just personally write his club a cheque.

If they get Werner it will be sickening honestly, he looked dead set for Liverpool and if there was even a slight chance that he could go elsewhere we should have done everything to get him as he's the best young striker around atm. I've heard we were in the mix but who knows.

Havertz and Werner plus Ziyech signing is a seriously strong window. Thats Batshuyai, Willian and Pedro replaced. There is a gap between the rest and the top two of City and Pool and Chelsea will have taken a massive step in bridging that gap with us yet to move

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    bayern munich played leverkusen the other day and Kai Havertz was left out of the squad completely so id say he will move to Bayern

Bayern's priority seems to be Sane, and they don't seem to have the finances to do both.

There was some reports that Bayern were interested in him, but only if he was willing to wait till 2021 for the transfer. Also, Leverksuen's hierarchy apparently do not like Bayern and don't like selling to them unless strictly nessecary. From what I've seen, they've let players go abroad cheaper than sell to Bayern in the past.

If they get Werner it will be sickening honestly, he looked dead set for Liverpool and if there was even a slight chance that he could go elsewhere we should have done everything to get him as he's the best young striker around atm. I've heard we were in the mix but who knows.

My take is that Liverpool didn't need him, hence why they wanted him if available at a cheaper rate. They'd have liked him but werent desperate enough to pay his release clause of 60m.

Arguably, we'd be the same; he'd have been very similar to what we have, and while I think we could have used him well, I don't know if he was worth the 60m to us. I do think we need a striker, but I think we need someone who offers a different set of skills to Rashford, Martial, Greenwood.

Chelsea need him. He will be an instant starter and they'll probably build their whole attack around him. That "desperation" was shown in their willingness to pay the full 60m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Always played in the big games, a ridiculous engine and extremely reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

My take is that Liverpool didn't need him, hence why they wanted him if available at a cheaper rate. They'd have liked him but werent desperate enough to pay his release clause of 60m.

Arguably, we'd be the same; he'd have been very similar to what we have, and while I think we could have used him well, I don't know if he was worth the 60m to us. I do think we need a striker, but I think we need someone who offers a different set of skills to Rashford, Martial, Greenwood.

Chelsea need him. He will be an instant starter and they'll probably build their whole attack around him. That "desperation" was shown in their willingness to pay the full 60m.

Werner for 60m is an absolute steal though if you ask me. I'd even prioritize him over Sancho as Werner is an out and out striker and then we can leave Rashford out wide where he's at his best.

Loss of Revenue due to covid may have hampered some of our plans with the top brass keeping a close eye on the purse strings but 60m for Werner its a great piece of business for whoever can get it done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Boring post ahead!

Sancho, Havertz, Grealish, van de Beek.

I would be shocked if United were serious about getting more than one of that type when they already signed Bruno.

United made three huge outlays or committments when they spent around 80million on Maguire, 45million on AWB and around 50million on Bruno since last June.

Unless Pogba was to go I can't see the club spending big on more than one player this summer.

It is very unusual without private money pumped in to see transfers for huge amounts continue as a trend without it easing off for a season (or seasons) unless a big sale happens to offset the purchases.

I also find it unlikely that the club will overstock in attack when they are so high on Greenwood.

https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/manchester-united-were-ready-to-pay-100-million-euros-for-ansu-fati-7990628

I’ve seen united now linked with a fair few youngsters who I always buy in FIFA career and turn into legends. Papers seem to be implying that Woodward is basing our transfer strategy on FIFA career mode potentials. I should setup my own rag sports paper, seems like you can throw out any crap about United and it gets printed...

Drumpot wrote: »
    https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/manchester-united-were-ready-to-pay-100-million-euros-for-ansu-fati-7990628

I’ve seen united now linked with a fair few youngsters who I always buy in FIFA career and turn into legends. Papers seem to be implying that Woodward is basing our transfer strategy on FIFA career mode potentials. I should setup my own rag sports paper, seems like you can throw out any crap about United and it gets printed...

What papers are implying that, at all?

Werner for 60m is an absolute steal though if you ask me. I'd even prioritize him over Sancho as Werner is an out and out striker and then we can leave Rashford out wide where he's at his best.

Loss of Revenue due to covid may have hampered some of our plans with the top brass keeping a close eye on the purse strings but 60m for Werner its a great piece of business for whoever can get it done.

Only if the wages are logical. If a five year contract is costing another 10million+ a year guaranteed then it can be a problem.

Bruno is supposedly on far less than that before performance pay kicks in.

• Advertisement

not much talk of Jude Bellingham on here, but i wonder after him and the family met Fergie did he decide he would join us this summer?

we wont be signing Grealish unless villa get relegated

Sancho looks like he will be hard to get but if united really want a player they will always push the boat out to get them, would be super signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Thought this video about Adrian Doherty would be appreciated here:

not much talk of Jude Bellingham on here, but i wonder after him and the family met Fergie did he decide he would join us this summer?

Sancho looks like he will be hard to get but if united really want a player they will always push the boat out to get them, would be super signing

Bellingham chase is a hard one to gauge. Would he be signed as a player for the first team, would he be sent out on loan? Would he be part of the underage recruitment process and budget or wanted by Ole?

I don't think there is a plan to move Rashford. Werner would have impacted Martial, not Rashford.

From the scuttle following the news at the weekend, we didn't move for Werner because we want, and think we'll get, Sancho, and it was treated as either/or.

If that is true.... I think it is the right call.

I'd prefer Rashford, Martial, Sancho to Rashford, Werner, James.

whatever the opinions on some of the players in this pic... i think it is a cool pic.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd_HQ/status/1270056863703449601

also, Pereira clearing thinking this is the BoyBand pic, not the squad pic.....

Actually, the pic is sh1.....

where the eff is McTominay? WHERE IS MCSAUSE?

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    Bellingham chase is a hard one to gauge. Would he be signed as a player for the first team, would he be sent out on loan? Would he be part of the underage recruitment process and budget or wanted by Ole?

he is a young english player and one of the hottest prospects in europe. id say he would get the odd sub apperance here and there, league cup games etc a bit like greenwood has done this season with a view to be a started in 2 years i would imagine

he is a young english player and one of the hottest prospects in europe. id say he would get the odd sub apperance here and there, league cup games etc a bit like greenwood has done this season with a view to be a started in 2 years i would imagine

United apparently want him in the first team squad, but Jude and his dad think he will struggle for game time against the options United have at CM this/next season, and think he would have a better route to first team football at Dortmund, which is where he is expected to go.

We'll end up bidding 100million for him in two years. like Sancho.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Actually, the pic is sh1.....

where the eff is McTominay? WHERE IS MCSAUSE?

Pogba missing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pogba missing too.

Nothing unusual there. That's been the case since September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

You could argue that but for 2 goals against West Ham he’s been missing since end of February last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

I predict Pogba will be our second best player behind Rashford for the remainder of this season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

James is a good player to come on on the left late in games and a squad role would suit him in terms of his pace killing a full back who's had to keep up with Rashford or hopefully Sancho for a game. End product leaves a lot to be desired but looks much better on the left side at creating and scoring.

It is always worth considering how little senior football James played before United bought him.

For someone to take the step up to a big club with the pressures that would bring, playing in Premier League, the Europa League, and play as well as he has overall is a very good sign for his development on the pitch and his mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Could be bull**** but there was talk this week of his Dad wanting him to reject us and sign for Dortmund because he thinks he'd get more game time in Germany

• Tonight's Match Rewind on MUTV is Martial making bits OF Liverpool in OT

#neverforget

I still think of him as a chelsea player sometimes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Drumpot wrote: »

What papers are implying that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

From @sbates_people on twitter

BREAKING : @ManUtd stars in Covid-19 scare as visiting Stoke City player tests positive after arriving at Carrington for a practice match Story soon on mirror.co.uk/sport/football/

Edit, seems okay

EXCLUSIVE: @ManUtd stars declared 'safe' after visiting Stoke City player gets positive Covid test minutes before practice game with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's players at Aon Training Complex

Lads, striker issue sorted...

https://twitter.com/pbpcalcio/status/1270427310706081796?s=21

Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus could partways in the upcoming transfer window. More updates to follow.

Sky Germany: Manchester United have good chances of signing Kai Havertz this summer after working on a deal for the past few months. The club have made it clear to Havertz that they want to build a team around him. United is definitely an option for Havertz, he wants to leave Leverkusen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Sky Germany: Manchester United have good chances of signing Kai Havertz this summer after working on a deal for the past few months. The club have made it clear to Havertz that they want to build a team around him. United is definitely an option for Havertz, he wants to leave Leverkusen.

Just had a quick look at him on YouTube, he’s left footed and seems to play off the right a lot ..... interesting, could it be Havertz OR Sancho??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

UCL Man Utd road to Glory 98/99 on Bt Sport. How underrated was Beckham back then, literally creating everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

wadacrack wrote: »
    UCL Man Utd road to Glory 98/99 on Bt Sport. How underrated was Beckham back then, literally creating everything.

Considering in Summer of 98 the media literally tried to destroy him.

Possibly the best big game player United and England ever had

Ah he wasnt underrated, along with roy keane at utd, fergie said only beckham and keane were undroppable. His workrate, passing, crossing and dead ball delivery were all world class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tonight's Match Rewind on MUTV is Martial making bits OF Liverpool in OT

#neverforget

Ugh, that match was so bloody heartbreaking. First obviously for the loss, and seeing Utd's shiny new toy look amazing (that little chop inside before he slotted it into the corner was a beaut). But also for the setup of further heartbreak down the road - every Liverpool fan came out of that game thinking “bad loss, but at least Benteke looks great!”. Little did we know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He finished 2nd in Balon d'or that year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lucas Hood wrote:
    He finished 2nd in Balon d'or that year.

He shouldn't have. Should've been Keane easily but he never had the public appeal of Beckham.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement