Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It’s great the positivity surrounding the team at the moment and interesting the only real addition has been Bruno. His arrival seems to have coincided with and possibly even contributed to a boost to the performances of a few who were struggling - Shaw & Matic especially. James is a good squad player to have but a quality right winger would have us up there in the top 3 no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Good win last night, can't complain with a 3 nil regardless of opposition. Fingers crossed city can do us a favour tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

Good win last night, can't complain with a 3 nil regardless of opposition. Fingers crossed city can do us a favour tonight.

Jesus I hope they do as I am playing cards with my brothers on Saturday night and the 3 of them are liverpool fans. I'll be crucified :mad:

• Not many mentioning Matic performance last night

That system really suited him

He is only 31, plenty in the tank yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not many mentioning Matic performance last night

There might be. Or his fitness might fall off a cliff again. Was shocking the end of last season and start of this one. Has come good again but I'd be worried about him next season again.

For me that 3 last night is first choice. Not sure mctominay could play the Matic role.

• Advertisement

Not many mentioning Matic performance last night

There might be. Or his fitness might fall off a cliff again. Was shocking the end of last season and start of this one. Has come good again but I'd be worried about him next season again.

For me that 3 last night is first choice. Not sure mctominay could play the Matic role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

In a game like that yes. I agree I don't think McTominay or Fred could do that role effectively without someone else beside them.

In a big game though against equal or superior opposition I think that three might have serious problems.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think the midfield worked last night and will in games we'll dominate possession, but would be worried about Matic being isolated in bigger games where we become more stretched. Especially if it's the base 4 at the back, the DM has a lot of ground to cover side to side and teams have been singling out Matic as a weakness in that situation since Jose's second season. Thought Matic was excellent last night, but still prefer McTominay against better teams, despite the formers superior ability on the ball

• There might be. Or his fitness might fall off a cliff again. Was shocking the end of last season and start of this one. Has come good again but I'd be worried about him next season again.

My main point is I think he at least has a role in the squad for another few years. I don't buy into age being a factor yet as 31 is still young.

I want to see Fred with Bruno and Pogba to see how that works before making any further assessment.

In bigger games that midfield could be a problem, or it could be fine.

It would require Pogba and Bruno to put in a defensive shift as well, which they are capable of doing. Matic would only be isolated if his two midfield partners abandoned him. People will say that is exactly what Pogba will do - and if so he can't play. So if he wants to play, he has to defend.

On the flip side having Pogba and Bruno in the team also gives the opposition something to worry about so they can't or should be worried to over commit themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Our big game's this season haven't been a problem, we have took points and held our own with the best of them, it's when teams were sitting back and grinding out results is where we have struggled like spurs and sheffield in past two games and majority of the games in the run before lockdown. We seem to be finding a way through them now woth Bruno and if we can keep a happy Pogba beside him the signs look encouraging.

We should be going all out to get a right winger for next season if we were to start next season woth the same midfield id be happy as long as Pogba was happy and we upgraded right wing.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Our big game's this season haven't been a problem, we have took points and held our own with the best of them, it's when teams were sitting back and grinding out results is where we have struggled like spurs and sheffield in past two games and majority of the games in the run before lockdown. We seem to be finding a way through them now woth Bruno and if we can keep a happy Pogba beside him the signs look encouraging.

We should be going all out to get a right winger for next season if we were to start next season woth the same midfield id be happy as long as Pogba was happy and we upgraded right wing.
    Put Sancho in that team last night... and I'd be very excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sancho apparently priced at 119m......wonder how much Traore would cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

a great win last night and great to see the confidence is still in the squad since the lockdown. 13 games unbeaten now and our squad looks extremely strong.

5 subs brought on last night and Fred, Bailly and Williams didnt even get a game. Lingard not even in the squad.

have to say i think Ole is doing a brilliant job

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sancho apparently priced at 119m......wonder how much Traore would cost?

I reckon he will go for somewhere around 80million guaranteed with 20million in bonus payments. Huge money, still, but 120million base? Don't see it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

DM_7 wrote: »

He nearly forgot it but some woman (coach?) who was walking beside him after the game actually reminded him and we went and got it.

Drumpot wrote: »
    He nearly forgot it but some woman (coach?) who was walking beside him after the game actually reminded him and we went and got it.

that is Karen Shotbolt, she is a Utd press officer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That's Martial and Rashford both on 14 PL goals a piece this season, which is decent (T8) before factoring in that both have missed a sizeable chunk of the season (about 20% of games played each) and the fact that we had sfa in terms of creativity in midfield until January.

It would be a great boost to get one, if not both, over the 20 goal mark. With 7 games left that might be a push but I think one of them will get there.

Norwich away in fa cup saturday, a few changes will be made to the first team. maybe 4 or 5 changes from last nights team

• Advertisement

Romero
    Dalot-Bailly-Maguire-Williams
    Fred---McTominay
    James----Bruno(?)----Rashford(?)
    Ighalo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I think the midfield worked last night and will in games we'll dominate possession, but would be worried about Matic being isolated in bigger games where we become more stretched. Especially if it's the base 4 at the back, the DM has a lot of ground to cover side to side and teams have been singling out Matic as a weakness in that situation since Jose's second season. Thought Matic was excellent last night, but still prefer McTominay against better teams, despite the formers superior ability on the ball

Matic, imo, is probably still our best DM.
    His performances since January have been excellent. He benefited from having little game time in first half of the season.

Physically he's not quite at the same level as before and he definitely needs to be managed in that respect.
    The last two months of last season were a slog for him. You could really see his limitations when it came to playing week in/week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

bangkok wrote: »
    a great win last night and great to see the confidence is still in the squad since the lockdown. 13 games unbeaten now and our squad looks extremely strong.

5 subs brought on last night and Fred, Bailly and Williams didnt even get a game. Lingard not even in the squad.

have to say i think Ole is doing a brilliant job

Based on what do you think he is doing a brilliant job

We need 17 points out of the last 7 games to equal the points tally of last season

If we get 21 points we will still be 11 points behind the total from 2 years ago

In a season where Arsenal, Chelsea and spurs have underperformed and we have been gifted loads of chances to move ahead for the top 4 we have thrown them away

We have 49 points from 31 games if anything he has underperformed

But the signings have been good I dont know if he has been involved in that

He has started to show a bit of ruthlessness by keeping Lingard and Pereira out of the team

He has gone on a good run of form since Bruno signed and if we get 2 or 3 top class players in we could be in very good shape

He is starting to get results and hopefully it continues but to say someone with 49 points from 31 games is going an brilliant job is wrong it's not even an opinion

It is awful for a manager of man united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I thought Matic was excellent yesterday. His willingness and ability to pass the ball forward between the lines was brilliant. He reminded me a lot of Carrick in the way that he played.

Earlier in the season, so many of our attacks were breaking down through Lingard, Periera, etc when the ball did go forward. Also, the deeper lying midfielders were adverse to taking any risk in trying to thread a pass forward.... just a really bad mixture. Won't get it forward, and the quality isn't there when it eventually does go forward.

When the ball is delivered into Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood, Rashford or Martial, either between the lines or in behind, good things while happen. If Matic can continue to just play that holding role and has the ability to play forward passes between the lines, he's an ideal fit with the rest of the more attacking players. It's a real limitation when your most defensive midfield is happy to consistently play the easy pass every time, either sideways or backwards.

Romero
    Dalot-Bailly-Maguire-Williams
    Fred---McTominay
    James----Bruno(?)----Rashford(?)
    Ighalo

Had totally forgot about dalot. Another not even in the squad last night.

I would give bruno a rest, maybe start greenwood again. Wouldnt play rashford either id start mata

Nuts102 wrote: »

We need 17 points out of the last 7 games to equal the points tally of last season

If we get 21 points we will still be 11 points behind the total from 2 years ago

In a season where Arsenal, Chelsea and spurs have underperformed and we have been gifted loads of chances to move ahead for the top 4 we have thrown them away

He has started to show a bit of ruthlessness by keeping Lingard and Pereira out of the team

He has gone on a good run of form since Bruno signed and if we get 2 or 3 top class players in we could be in very good shape

He is starting to get results and hopefully it continues but to say someone with 49 points from 31 games is going an brilliant job is wrong it's not even an opinion

Since the turn of the year, since he has started to put his own stamp on the team. All his signings have been excellent and every single player seems to be playing with confidence now. Young players coming through as well greenwood williams mctominay have all been excellemt. There is a feel good factor in the squad now that i havent seen since fergie left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Since the turn of the year, since he has started to put his own stamp on the team. All his signings have been excellent and every single player seems to be playing with confidence now. Young players coming through as well greenwood williams mctominay have all been excellemt. There is a feel good factor in the squad now that i havent seen since fergie left

leave them off some people enjoy the pessimism and negativity. if people can't see the improvement in style, performance and results then they must be absolutely blind cause there's no doubt that there is real reason for optimism and it's a joy to watch United for the first time in seven years.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

A good performance last night. I won't get carried away yet though as getting a run of wins together has been difficult. In relation to Sancho 100 mil is a big risk to pay. We haven't had great success with signing players from the Bundesliga I.e Mikhatarian and Kagawa was just okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Alot to like about Man Utd atm. Seems to be some genuinely great characters in the team too which makes them much more likeable compared to the Mourinho era. Few home grown players look to be genuinely talented. Greenwood, McTominay, Rashford and Williams. Good time to be a fan of the club . Just need to add abit more technically quality especially against deep defences. Have seen ho much Fernandez has helped the team. An elite forward/winger would be ideal.

https://twitter.com/ballsdotie/status/1276144362250887170

• Advertisement

i said last night i think Zlatan was our best signing since fergie left, but having thought about it again, i think i would have to change my mind and go for Bruno, he is having the Eric Cantona effect on our team right now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

kowloonkev wrote: »
    leave them off some people enjoy the pessimism and negativity. if people can't see the improvement in style, performance and results then they must be absolutely blind cause there's no doubt that there is real reason for optimism and it's a joy to watch United for the first time in seven years.

To say people enjoy pessimism is a bit trite tbh. There are people around here that were like pissy little children when Jose was in charge and who were incapable of having any opinions that were any way objective.

We have seen umpteen false dawns since Fergie left and there is very real reasons for people, myself included, not running away with themselves, nothing wrong with a bit of balance which is in short supply with some people around here.

Bruno has been the catalyst for the results since the turn of the year. Let's not forget that it was Ole who decided to play an already injured rashford resulting in what would have been a season ending injury but for C-19.

Before Bruno arrived Ole had master minded league defeats to such luminaries as Newcastle, West Ham, Bournemouth, Watford and Burnley and draws against titans like Villa and Southampton.

The team is on a decent run but we have spent £200m or so in the last 12 months, a decent run does not a brilliant job make. Hopefully the team can keep up the pressure on Chelsea and Leicester by winning most of their remaining fixtures and hope they drop points, they can't do any more than that but if it comes down to needing to beat Leicester on the final day to guarantee top 4, I wouldn't be putting life savings on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

kowloonkev wrote: »
    To say people enjoy pessimism is a bit trite tbh. There are people around here that were like pissy little children when Jose was in charge and who were incapable of having any opinions that were any way objective.

Mod Note: Please do not offer commentary on the thread in this way or try to group people. Keep the discussion about Manchester United not other posters.

that is Karen Shotbolt, she is a Utd press officer

Yep, she's a Trojan. After LVG and Jose's reigns, she deserves a shrine in the press room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ramazani situation is weird, can’t agree terms, so he wants to fûck of to a second division Spanish outfit ? Doesn’t sound legit. Certainly sounds weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Agree with everything, apart from the last line. There have been bumps in the road, but it's never a case of clicking your fingers and it's all magically sorted (see Kloop and Liverpool). I wouldn't say Ole is doing a brilliant job - I will say that if he wins a league, but there looks to be real promise again for the first time in quite a while:

The recruited players have all done well. It hasn't been like this under any other manager since Fergie, so Ole is clearly having an influence here

The players who are clearly not good enough (Periera, Lingard, Jones) have been marginalised

There is creativity with Pogba returning and Bruno proving he is absolute quality

The younger players (Williams, Greenwood, McTominay, Rashford) are all getting lots of game time and having their best season so far

Other plays (Fred & Martial) are improving. Fred is a player of the season candidate until Bruno rocked up and Martial has equaled his best goal scoring season already.

With the positive signs from the second half of the season, and the right recruits in the next window (e.g. Sancho), then hopefully next season the league position will be much better.

The first half of the season was poor, a combination of a lack of signings which left us stuck fielding dross in key positions, the long term injury to our only creative player, injuries to other players who were vital at the time (e.g. McTominay), etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

For all the improvements, there was still that period leading up to half time yesterday that seems to come in every game, no matter how dominant where Shef United were getting some chances and United were looking a bit ropey. Same against Spurs after playing them off the park for 30 odd mins.

That's not to say that a team should expect to be dominant an entire game but when they are going flat at the same time in nearly every game there is something wrong. It seems to happen at a similar time in the 2nd half too where after coming out after HT looking good, they tend to tail off at about 70 odd minutes and the dregs of the league can even carve them open once or twice as we've seen this season.

I don't know if it's fitness, game management or concentration but there is something still noticeably wrong there.

Liam O wrote: »
    For all the improvements, there was still that period leading up to half time yesterday that seems to come in every game, no matter how dominant where Shef United were getting some chances and United were looking a bit ropey. Same against Spurs after playing them off the park for 30 odd mins.

That's not to say that a team should expect to be dominant an entire game but when they are going flat at the same time in nearly every game there is something wrong. It seems to happen at a similar time in the 2nd half too where after coming out after HT looking good, they tend to tail off at about 70 odd minutes and the dregs of the league can even carve them open once or twice as we've seen this season.

I don't know if it's fitness, game management or concentration but there is something still noticeably wrong there.

well last night the water breaks killed uniteds momentum, but in other games you will never dominate for a full 90 mins. other teams will usually have a short spell of possession/pressure on the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Luke, fúcking switch on!"

https://streamable.com/am6x6c

• Advertisement

All that waffling doesnt change the fact he has not done a brilliant job

We are on target for the lowest points total I can remember

If you said he has done a brilliant job the last few months I can agree he has done well

That doesnt change the fact he has underperformed over the course of the season

All that waffling doesnt change the fact he has not done a brilliant job

We are on target for the lowest points total I can remember

If you said he has done a brilliant job the last few months I can agree he has done well

That doesnt change the fact he has underperformed over the course of the season

season is not over yet, we could have won fa cup and europa league by then.

would you agree that there hasnt been such a feel good factor around united now than there has been since fergie left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

would you agree that there hasnt been such a feel good factor around united now than there has been since fergie left?

You have to factor in the money that has been spend and the talent in the squad. It's not as if Ole has worked wonders with a limited budget which I feel is the true test of a good manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Liam O wrote: »

This has been an issue under multiple managers.

We'll start off games against weaker opposition strong. After about 20-25 minutes, if we haven't put the game away decisively, the players seem to lose their nerve a little. Like, confidence that we can win ebbs away.

I also hate the water breaks; they killed our momentum in both halves.

Still, was ultra-happy with yesterdays game, overall. Pretty much every concern I had after the Spurs game seemed to get addressed; Martial's form, Pogba and Bruno together. Was a brilliant result and hopefully a proper confidence booster.

billyhead wrote: »
    You have to factor in the money that has been spend and the talent in the squad. It's not as if Ole has worked wonders with a limited budget which I feel is the true test of a good manager.

not all got to do with money, 50m fred under jose looked like another kleberson worth around 5m. Fred under ole is like Kante (never thought i would say that) been fantastic this season and fully worth his 50m fee.

also, almost every single player in the squad has improved immensely under ole and the team bonding has never been as good. all the players are behind the manager 100%, couldnt say that for Moyes, van Gaal or Jose and they were miles ahead of Ole in regards to experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

@bangkok

I tend to agree with you on a lot of things but I wouldn’t use the word brilliant to describe the job Ole has done up to now. I think if we finish the season in the top 4 and we win one of the cups then I could say the word brilliant is acceptable for what he has done.

The reason he is on the verge of getting massive credit is because he has done everything I wanted a manager to do with the squad and the style of play. He’s just got to actually achieve something now. Having a likeable squad with pleasing style of play is great but I want to see some success before I give him praise for doing less than LVG and Jose before him.

GSPfan wrote: »
    @bangkok

I tend to agree with you on a lot of things but I wouldn’t use the word brilliant to describe the job Ole has done up to now. I think if we finish the season in the top 4 and we win one of the cups then I could say the word brilliant is acceptable for what he has done.

The reason he is on the verge of getting massive credit is because he has done everything I wanted a manager to do with the squad and the style of play. He’s just got to actually achieve something now. Having a likeable squad with pleasing style of play is great but I want to see some success before I give him praise for doing less than LVG and Jose before him.

right, maybe take back the word brilliant then, but i think he has done a very good job and the feel good factor is back at Old Trafford after being away for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

right, maybe take back the word brilliant then, but i think he has done a very good job and the feel good factor is back at Old Trafford after being away for a long time

That’s something I can completely agree with.

not all got to do with money, 50m fred under jose looked like another kleberson worth around 5m. Fred under ole is like Kante (never thought i would say that) been fantastic this season and fully worth his 50m fee.

also, almost every single player in the squad has improved immensely under ole and the team bonding has never been as good. all the players are behind the manager 100%, couldnt say that for Moyes, van Gaal or Jose and they were miles ahead of Ole in regards to experience

Amazing all the players improving yet the points tally is worse than under those previous managers

Fa Cup and Europa league were not good enough for you under Jose so why are they important now

On the feel good factor I dont know I am not involved in the club

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement