Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Put in Greenwood or James instead of Pereira and todays starting lineup is probably our best from a balance point of view. Fred and Matic to protect the defence, Mata to give us an better passing options up front, and the three up front to bang them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

KH25 wrote: »
    I know it’s Norwich, but Mata (as an actual 10) showed how useless Lingard is.

If we could give him some pace.....

He always looks like the body is letting the mind down. Just not an athlete at all.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Put in Greenwood or James instead of Pereira and todays starting lineup is probably our best from a balance point of view. Fred and Matic to protect the defence, Mata to give us an better passing options up front, and the three up front to bang them in.

McT has to start. Would have Pogba at 10 as well. Massively frustrating that we haven't seen much of that this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Bruno bagged another two tonight, though one a peno.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

If we could give him some pace.....

He always looks like the body is letting the mind down. Just not an athlete at all.

True, he does lack pace but I would much prefer that to loads of effort with no end product. You can work with players that can produce passes like Mata. I don’t know what you can do with the likes of Lingard.

• Advertisement

True, he does lack pace but I would much prefer that to loads of effort with no end product. You can work with players that can produce passes like Mata. I don’t know what you can do with the likes of Lingard.

Where Mata becomes an obvious issue is when you are playing a Watford or a Leicester or whatever and they have a big unit like Decoure or NDidi in defensive midfield that is just bullying the ball off him. He becomes a big liability in transition. Not that I am advocating for Lingard here, just that Mata brings his own problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rashford hasn’t improved a whole lot in terms of goal scoring the season, he’s just played more games.

I’ll reserve judgement until May, he should be aiming for 20 goals from here, that’s what you need to expect from a United striker with a full season under their belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Apologies to WROONEY.

He/She was not the Ed Woodward advocate I remember. Mea Culpa.

I think they were from Kerry, but I still can't remember the name. Anyhoo Woodward is still United's biggest problem after the Glazers.

Rashford hasn’t improved a whole lot in terms of goal scoring the season, he’s just played more games.

I’ll reserve judgement until May, he should be aiming for 20 goals from here, that’s what you need to expect from a United striker with a full season under their belt.

He already has 19 and 14 in the league. If he doesnt get 20 league goals he will have had an injury imo.

He already has 19 and 14 in the league. If he doesnt get 20 league goals he will have had an injury imo.

20 league goals I mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Thats pretty harsh on Rashford to be fair. This is his first season as a senior striker and to be honest has been pretty superb. He could of had another goal today but it hit the post. (I didnt see the game but was listening on the radio while driving)
    Rashford is becoming an absolute player, has seriously stepped up

19 goals in all comps and we've just passed the half way mark of the season.

Have to disagree wayne, judgement should be cast now when the team is in bitsz not next season. The lad has stepped up afyer the sale of lukaku and fair ****s to him, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Where Mata becomes an obvious issue is when you are playing a Watford or a Leicester or whatever and they have a big unit like Decoure or NDidi in defensive midfield that is just bullying the ball off him. He becomes a big liability in transition. Not that I am advocating for Lingard here, just that Mata brings his own problems

Absolutely, and I’m not advocating that Mata is the solution to all of our problems. I’m merely saying it’s great to see someone playing 10 and actually making the passes you assume a 10 will make. If the team had an actual 10 playing consistently it could look so different.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Thats pretty harsh on Rashford to be fair. This is his first season as a senior striker and to be honest has been pretty superb. He could of had another goal today but it hit the post. (I didnt see the game but was listening on the radio while driving)

Have to disagree wayne, judgement should be cast now when the team is in bitsz not next season. The lad has stepped up afyer the sale of lukaku and fair ****s to him, long may it continue.

It's not just his goals either. We have all watched him for years and banged our heads against the wall as he took the wrong option or ran down a blind alley. Was always skillful and quick but decision making was lacking. The last 6 months has seen those areas grow to where he is almost unrecognisable. Becoming a really smart player as well as adding key goals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Absolutely, and I’m not advocating that Mata is the solution to all of our problems. I’m merely saying it’s great to see someone playing 10 and actually making the passes you assume a 10 will make. If the team had an actual 10 playing consistently it could look so different.

Pass for first goal is a game changer. Need those moments to go from tight to make a 4-0 poasible.

AidoEirE wrote: »

He’s got a league goal every 209 minutes this season, excluding penalties, it was 235 last season.

For comparison Lukaku was 177 minutes last season, and 179 the season before.

It’s way too early for me to say he has made a step up, and I’d like to see how he does over the next 4/5 months.

He’s got a league goal every 209 minutes this season, excluding penalties, it was 235 last season.

For comparison Lukaku was 177 minutes last season, and 179 the season before.

It’s way too early for me to say he has made a step up, and I’d like to see how he does over the next 4/5 months.

He isnt playing as a striker though. And why are we excluding pens?

Besides this, watching with my eyes, he has been a much better player this year. Will only keep growing as well.

You should always exclude pens when you are looking at a strikers output tbf, its an anomaly of a situation and most premiership footballers should be putting away there fair share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You should always exclude pens when you are looking at a strikers output tbf, its an anomaly of a situation and most premiership footballers should be putting away there fair share

It's a fair argument, but in that case Andy Cole had better Goals per game over Alan Shearer.

Loved Cole but doubt too many would say Cole was better Striker even though Cole played out wide and behind striker many times for United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What if he's winning the penalties though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

People weren't taking away penalties from other teams top scorers when knocking the lad. No need to go knocking them off him now.

I do agree it gives a better reflection when they're taken away but it's just not done with strikers, neither are penos won or assists etc etc.

• Advertisement

He isnt playing as a striker though. And why are we excluding pens?

Besides this, watching with my eyes, he has been a much better player this year. Will only keep growing as well.

Anyone playing in a front 3 should be considered a scorer, if not an out and out striker. Wide forwards probably score as much if not more these days.

Agreed re better player. He's also avoiding row Z with free kicks.

It's a fair argument, but in that case Andy Cole had better Goals per game over Alan Shearer.

Loved Cole but doubt too many would say Cole was better Striker even though Cole played out wide and behind striker many times for United

I mean Shearer probably played more often in a worse team then cole did also like im not saying its not a skill either but its deffo bumbs numbers, to a point where people over evaluate the players ability imo
    Liam O wrote: »
    What if he's winning the penalties though?

Fair point Uniteds style wins plenty of penalties no doubt, but if we gave martial, rashford penalties you more or less switch positions goals wise and one goes from an average season to good and visa versa.

Is that fair I dont know, i guess you win the right to take the penos and rashford has done that at united.

Like Im not even having a go at rashford I do think he is too greedy at times, but he is playing a much better all round game this season also imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

recyclebin wrote: »

You can't seriously think Matic gives us more than McT?

45 mins in the Carabao cup (when the leg was effectively over) and a game against the worst side in the league isn't enough.

Matic has some way to go before he gets back into the first XI imo.

PARlance wrote: »
    Anyone playing in a front 3 should be considered a scorer, if not an out and out striker. Wide forwards probably score as much if not more these days.

Agreed re better player. He's also avoiding row Z with free kicks.

Right, but if you are a width of the posts forward like Lukaku or a wide forward like Rashford there will be differences. It's like the difference between Sterling and Aguero, and nobody is doing down Sterling's excellent scoring rate because Aguero's is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People weren't taking away penalties from other teams top scorers when knocking the lad. No need to go knocking them off him now.

I do agree it gives a better reflection when they're taken away but it's just not done with strikers, neither are penos won or assists etc etc.

There's an elephant in the room with United then if everyone in the front 3 should be a scorer and it shows that the right side is in dire straits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Not buying that.
    10 league goals in the whole of 18/19? In 33 league games.

Pens still have to be scored. And even top strikers like Aguero and Aubameyang miss them.

He's well on his way to 20+ this league season.

Right, but if you are a width of the posts forward like Lukaku or a wide forward like Rashford there will be differences. It's like the difference between Sterling and Aguero, and nobody is doing down Sterling's excellent scoring rate because Aguero's is better.

But Aguero's record isn't an awful lot better. Sterling has 46 premier league goals in the last 2.5 years. Aguero only has 6 more over that period. Sterling scoring more from open play.

Even more of an example if looking at Liverpool with Salah & Mane out scoring their striker.

A lot depends on style of play of the team but wide forwards can get as many if not more chances than the central striker.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Not buying that.
    10 league goals in the whole of 18/19? In 33 league games.

Pens still have to be scored. And even top strikers like Aguero and Aubameyang miss them.

He's well on his way to 20+ this league season.

What are you not buying? Stats?

Liam O wrote: »
    There's an elephant in the room with United then if everyone in the front 3 should be a scorer and it shows that the right side is in dire straits.

And that's not really news to any of us is it. It's an area that should have been addressed for years. James has helped but he really should have been coming in as a backup.

• Advertisement

But Aguero's record isn't an awful lot better. Sterling has 46 premier league goals in the last 2.5 years. Aguero only has 6 more over that period. Sterling scoring more from open play.

Even more of an example if looking at Liverpool with Salah & Mane out scoring their striker.

A lot depends on style of play of the team but wide forwards can get as many if not more chances than the central striker.

Yeah fair point. Didnt realise Sterling was that close.

Yeah fair point. Didnt realise Sterling was that close.

Was surprised myself :)
    And I didn't include 3 years ago but I think it's fair to say that Sterling has stepped it up a notch since then.

ah not to be that guy but totally to be that guy :P

sterling has played like 1400 + more minutes then aguero in that time

Over the 3 seasons taking out penos there is about .2 of a difference of there expected goals per 90 aguero being the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

[url]

**** me. I can’t believe he actually said that.

We’re going places because Man City put a strong team out against us in the Haribo Cup

It’s Moyes all over again

Ole has dropped a lot of clangers in the past few weeks wont be trending well on social media, probably get fired now.

as thats all that matters really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The whole quote in context isn't actually that bad or unreasonable but yeah it's never a good area to get into as the man United manager.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

He could definitely do with staying away from the interviews or at least learning how to talk in nothings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Oles interviews and press conferences are about the only entertainment at United at the minute. We will see where we're going after this month is over. He will Probably still be smiling though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

DM_7 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jamesrobsonES/status/1216035778901528576?s=19

This is the kind of thing that has Ole in his job rather than claims of a yes man.

I think he should have United in a stronger position overall.

Martials performances are as erratic as ever but he's playing down the middle now due to Lukaku's departure.

Not going to give him any credit for Rashford who only 3 months ago was being torn apart by some fans and had his confidence levels on the floor due to being played up front, he's a wide attacker Jose identified this and got a similar level of performance out of him the only difference was he was job sharing with Martial.

We shouldn't be relying on an 18 year old CF imo and he definitely shouldn't have been thrown into certain situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Definitely more thought being put into transfers since Ole arrived.

Not expecting anyone to arrive in this window. Happy enough with youth getting a chance. Next summer is big though, clear out of the mercenaries needs to happen and replaced with young hungry ambitious players.

The penny pinching started when Jose was still the manager.

This squad needs to so much work that we can't ignore the January window. There's a European championship next summer so no doubt the club will use that as an excuse for why they could only sign 2/3 players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I was in the Stretford end yesterday and the tide is definitely turning on Glazers/Woodward, absolutely delighted these were picked up by the media, how did it look on TV I wonder?

Anti-Glazers/Woodward chants weren't just in OT, but outside the stadium to and from the game.

From speaking to many yesterday, my general feeling is that fans going week in, week out know Ole is out of his depth but understand it's not his fault he's in the position he's in down to the ineptitude of Woodward/Glazers and the football side of things so are doing everything they can to get behind him and the club from a purely football side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/FTalentScout/status/1216040742537375752?s=20

Also love this, haven't been this excited about a prospect in a long time, probably Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Is ole actively trying to get sacked

He takes what should have a been a positive day after a good performance and win and then comes out with that utterly embarrassing nonsense

His lack of leadership is extraordinary

Heard a funny one this morning.

Our front three, if you take it as Rashford martial and greenwood have scored 40+ this season. That's more than Liverpool's front three isn't it?

#oles
    #at
    #the
    #wheel?

:D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Heard a funny one this morning.

Our front three, if you take it as Rashford martial and greenwood have scored 40+ this season. That's more than Liverpool's front three isn't it?

#oles
    #at
    #the
    #wheel?

:D

##Alternatives.

Can we see the league table if every game ended when we were winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We’re going places because Man City put a strong team out against us in the Haribo Cup

It’s Moyes all over again

It's worse than the Moyes seasons for me :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Rashford and Greenwood really give me a bit of hope yesterday and Williams, what can I say , Its a long time since I have seen the same passion and commitment put into a game by a player for a long time. Some of the tackles yesterday keano would of been proud.
    Only thing worrying me now is if the team does not get the additions it's needs how long before these youngsters get dissalusioned and start to fall back and worse still be tempted for other challenges at a different club. Protests need to be far louder and more often so the message gets across. Time is running out.

limnam wrote: »
    ##Alternatives.

Can we see the league table if every game ended when we were winning.

I've seen it, we win the league!!!!

The dvd will be out the end of April

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United look likely to sign Jude Bellingham from Birmingham.
    One for the future but he's playing for their first team and is very highly rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was in the Stretford end yesterday and the tide is definitely turning on Glazers/Woodward, absolutely delighted these were picked up by the media, how did it look on TV I wonder?

Anti-Glazers/Woodward chants weren't just in OT, but outside the stadium to and from the game.

From speaking to many yesterday, my general feeling is that fans going week in, week out know Ole is out of his depth but understand it's not his fault he's in the position he's in down to the ineptitude of Woodward/Glazers and the football side of things so are doing everything they can to get behind him and the club from a purely football side of things.

That the best news of the season. Only concern I have now is the shock and awe response from the owners. They have been fairly decent at throwing our fans off their scent with a big signing or change of manager.

I really can’t fathom how a manager interview upsets so many people but maybe it gives an indication as to why it’s been so easy for Woodward to deflect attention so frequently.. In many regards his interviews reflect where our club is at. We are in a different league to city and another different league to Liverpool. There’s no point in coming out every other game and saying how crap we are and how far away from where we should be.

In fairness you can’t argue with the club on this, they said that Oles job initially was to bring some sort of joy to the dressingroom which it looks like he has done. He also seems to have the squad on side since Pogbas “injury” (if he’s with Madrid he either isn’t injured, heals much quicker and/or doesn’t need an operation) you can see the team usually give it all for him. What’s funny is that Ole has made it very hard for Pogba to win his PR battle so he’s had to get injured to force his move.

When you consider how young a squad and first team it can be it’s actually been a good year for change. Again change of culture was another thing he wanted to do, well I find the squad in its current status more likable then the last.

Can Ole grow into the job? I don’t know but he can’t do anything if he’s sacked so i understand why he and other United friends of his would prefer him on the inside trying to implement change. This makes me think of a friends dad who explained to me why he remained a member of FF after they were pretty much integral to our country’s financial collapse. He said you can influence change more when you are in the party then you can from there outside. People who support political parties are comparable with fans especially when it comes to caring , supporting and delusions at Times regarding the thing you love.

Poch coming in improves Nothing we haven’t seen the last 7 years and I think those desperate to have him in know it. He’d be short term gain for long term pain. I’d prefer some short term pain (even 2-3 years) for some long term gain and maybe Ole represents that pain. Maybe he’s not the hero we want, he’s being the hero we need right now. I’m not so sure this is his intention but if his tenure does nothing else but force radical change in how the footballing side is run or even gets rid of owners/Woodward it will probably represent the biggest opportunity we have for the club to get back up to the levels it once held.

We have successful business men running the club on the financial side. But they are amateurs in how they run the footballing side. I think quite often people confuse these two and presume people who can make money inherently know what they are doing or that their plan was always going to succeed. This is not the case and the Glazers making a fortune off the club says nothing about how they have wasted and abused its resources.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement