Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight 752 brought down by Iran - mod warning in |OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

tuxy wrote: »
    Do you know if the intended flight path was in that direction?
    I assume Iran would not allow any flight path that close to a sensitive military instillation.

1: Don't know.
    2: I have similar thoughts. They can't stop a pilot flying the plane towards this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Just quoting this for posterity. Occam wins again.

True, but there were reports of two missiles launched or that report now false? The first video still confuses me why there are no plane lights in the sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Iran have admitted they shot it down by mistake

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/world/iran-state-tv-says-ukrainian-jet-was-unintentionally-shot-down-1.4762967

The weapon system is very cumbersome and old school and it's easy to mistake aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭chooseusername

tuxy wrote: »
    Do you know if the intended flight path was in that direction?
    I assume Iran would not allow any flight path that close to a sensitive military instillation.
    I don't know the intended flight path, but I can see it took a slightly different path to corresponding flight on Tues.
    Flight PS752 on Tue kept a straight path until well after Perand,and turned right at 11000 ft
    On wed it turned right over Perand railway station at just over 6000 ft.
    Maybe not significant under normal circumstances but at at a time of high alert,
    could prove otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

2: I have similar thoughts. They can't stop a pilot flying the plane towards this site.
    Yes they can, “Flight xxx, turn left immediately as you are entering prohibited airspace”.

• Advertisement

The flight would be following an ATC Departure clearance, it might be a simple climb straight ahead to xxxx feet and contact radar, or it might be a published SID such as these below, one of which also permits a straight out departure.

I toured this airport before it opened, there was a delay in opening it due to its proximity to a nuclear plant.

Regarding our ICAO ANNEX 13 expert, did you actually know that Annex 13 is intended to be used with the “ICAO Manual if Aircraft Accident and Incident Investigation -DOC9756”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Iranians admit they shot down the plane.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51073621

This was their 3rd view on the matter as only yesterday, they denied flat out any missile knocked that airplane out of the sky.
    Ridiculous carry on by some posters here when the truth was right in front of their eyes. A great bunch of lads those Iranians are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

human error. god help the man who pushed that button.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

On top, there is some or should I say a lot of skepticism out there that the plane turned around and flew towards a military complex, as per the latest official story from Iran. They were better off stating from day one that they ****ed up, instead of this embarrassing climbdown after climbdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

It may have been an automated system oh high alert due to the tension there and the recent missile launches towards Iraq/US based

It may have been an automated system oh high alert due to the tension there and the recent missile launches towards Iraq/US based
    It says the Iranians are citing human error in that BBC article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yup.The guy will be hung from the rafters.

It was never a technical issue from the off. How some people believed the spin is hard to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Its all Trump's fault !! ( Wink wink , Nod nod ) .

Can't blame Fred Flintstone and co .

Ukraine team at the site and Ukraine says it wasn't being bulldozed.

https://twitter.com/UKRintheUSA/status/1215724832228356097

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

When the Iranians came out straight away with technical fault. How did they know it was in that matter of moments. It was like the child saying it wasn’t me who put the paint on the wall with there hands behind there back and covered in paint.

Like Ukraine and mh some soldiers are trigger happy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'd be more concerned about the innocent people he shot down tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Some seriously deluded posts on this site.

It was always 100% obvious what had happened.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Yup.The guy will be hung from the rafters.

they use cranes not rafters. they're also partial to crucifixion.

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the innocent people he shot down tbh

i thought that went without saying tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Some seriously deluded posters on this site.

It was always 100% obvious what had happened.

Definitely a worrying insight into people's mindsets in 2020. The ease at which the news and statements were swallowed up and believed when the basic facts said very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So Iran finally admits what the rest of the world (and most of the posters here have already been saying) .

https://news.sky.com/story/iran-admits-it-unintentionally-shot-down-ukrainian-passenger-jet-11905884

At least this will end the speculation on causes.

RIP to the victims and hopefully the Iran's will update they're equipment so this will never happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

An Ri rua wrote: »
    100% plausible and my thinking for the past few days.
    The Iranians shoot down a plane that was just gaining altitude, leaving Tehran? Give them some credit. That's less likely than likely. A plane full of Iranians, Canadians and Ukrainians. And they did it. Because they're nervous.
    Who stands to gain from this action? Hours after the concerted missile attacks?
    For a seasoned, professional army with almost 40 years exposure to hardcore warfare and with over 2 years of probing and testing US defences and resolve, with only one death recently, that sound particularly sloppy.
    I would hold off on judgement of this event until we know more.

100% plausible that the a CIA plant caused the "human error" that fired the missile at the plane and then another plant issued the cover up statement that it was all a pure accident due to mechanical failure. The Americans had planned all along to trick the world to think that the Iranians were lying.

That Ayatollah looks so obviously like an American that it is incredible that people just can't see it. None so blind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Iranian dark-age incompetence at its finest, just shows when the complete obvious was in front of some posters they still couldn't see and think clearly but had to have some sort of a go at us and accuse people of making up conspiracy theories, if any of them had the balls they would come out and admit they were wrong- maybe in a few days like the Iranians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The fault is with whomever in their chain of command put their air defences onto highest hair trigger alert but didn’t stop civilian air traffic for the night that was in it, when they knew they were going to be shooting missiles into Iraq and could expect some blowback. That was a preventable policy decision.

https://amp.smh.com.au/world/middle-east/european-leaders-rally-behind-tattered-iran-deal-ignoring-trump-20200111-p53qn8.html

The European Union has said that it will "spare no effort" to keep the 2015 deal alive, even though Tehran said it would no longer be bound by the agreement's restrictions on centrifuges and uranium enrichment following the Trump administration's killing of [Major-General Qassem Soleimani,](https://www.smh.com.au/link/follow-20180101-p53omj) head of Iran's elite Quds Force.

Who trusts a theocracy with nuclear weapons, especially after this? Hopefully someone with guts will wipe out their weapons research centers along with their scientists and top level politicians and generals etc. Doesn't look like Europe is interested......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Well the Americans shot down a previous Iranian civilian jet and i don't remember people saying then that they shouldn't be trusted with defensive tech.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Well the Americans shot down a previous Iranian civilian jet and i don't remember people saying then that they shouldn't be trusted with defensive tech.

Alot of us weren't around back then, your essentially agreeing that Iranian militarily is in the dark ages, that event happened over 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

BluePlanet wrote: »

32 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Alot of us weren't around back then, your essentially agreeing that Iranian militarily is in the dark ages, that event happened over 30 years ago.
    I don't know much about the Iranian military to have an informed opinion. But read somewhere that the different wings are silo'd from one another in a such a way to limit their scope of say, infiltration by enemies or perhaps to limit the prospects of a coup.
    So basically the right hand really does not know what the left hand is doing.
    If this is accurate then maybe such an architecture would make an incident like this harder to prevent.

I would guess that Iran's military is poor compared to USA, but probably a lot better equipped then say, Ireland's.

Advertisement