Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight 752 brought down by Iran - mod warning in |OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Are you out of your mind?

Russia did not shoot down civilian airliners in any sort of normal situation and not in the past few decades.

Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 (MH17)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Is it not more plausible that an Iranian air defence system was switched on just in case the US retaliated after the missile strike, and that it activated, mistaking the airliner for a US jet.

Either way, I think there is a lot more information to come out of this story yet.

Surely the control tower at the airport would have been informed of this? If that's the case and the Iranian military didn't inform the control tower that they would be carrying out defensive operations in the area it's absolutely pathetic all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Are you out of your mind?

Russia did not shoot down civilian airliners in any sort of normal situation and not in the past few decades.

1962 Aeroflot Flight 902 shot down by Russia

1978 Korean Air Lines Flight 902 shot down by Russia

september 1983
    Korean Air Lines Flight 007 shot down by Russia

Iran Air Flight 655 1988 shot down by America

September 1993
    three airliners belonging to Transair Georgia were shot down by missiles and gunfire in Sukhumi, Abkhazia, Georgia. The first, a Tupolev Tu-134, was shot down on 21 September 1993 by a missile during landing approach. The second plane, a Tupolev Tu-154, was shot down a day later also during approach all three shot down by Russia

2001 Siberia Airlines Flight 1812 shot down by Russia

2014 Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 Aka MH-17 shot down by Russia.

* 2020 Ukrainian flight 752 shot down by Iran

Been a few others but the ones posted are the most notable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Not at all.

The US had no involvement in this :confused:

It's an example of how a civilian airliner can be shot down by mistake.
    Add to that, the shooting down of MH17 over Ukraine is another example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

I could start a 'Flight 752 brought down by the U.S.A.' and it would be as valid as this one. Same proof to back it up too, none.

By all means do.

• Advertisement

By all means do.

He doesn't have to. He isn't thread-banned from the main thread.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think this is very current and is deserving of it's own thread. So what looked like the obvious reason why this plane was brought down turns out to be true.
    OP, you were threadbanned from that other thread, which is, I presume, behind your starting of a new one

I am not threadbanning you from this one, but any more nonsense from you and there will be no "friendly" warnings

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Thanks

It's an example of how a civilian airliner can be shot down by mistake.
    Add to that, the shooting down of MH17 over Ukraine is another example.

Firing large missiles or using fighter jets to shoot down civilians airliners isn't an example of a mistakes ,it's an example how little training people who were incharge of the systems ,
    There is a pretty big difference between the radar signature of a civilian airliner which carries transponders to so they can be identified on radar both civil and military systems and that of a modern fighter jet ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 (MH17)

That was confirmed to have been shot down by Ukraine accidentally using Russian weapons.

Besides, it was an accident. There is no suggestion that Russia intentionally shot it down which would make no sense.
    Gatling wrote: »
    2001 Siberia Airlines Flight 1812 shot down by Russiae

Holy moly. Took a trip to Wikipedia did we?

Maybe you should have clicked on the details. Not only was that an accident, it wasn't even suggested to be Russia. It was admitted by Ukraine and they apologised for it paying hundreds of thousands of dollars compensation to the families of the survivors, Russian and otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia_Airlines_Flight_1812

Honestly it's getting to the point where I feel like just quitting this board entirely. There are too many people running around making up stuff and performing gish gallops, making things up as they go along and googling as they go, it's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

They killed 1500 of their own in protests a few weeks back, did that make sense?

Nope. Amnesty put the death toll at just over 100.

• Advertisement

Firing large missiles or using fighter jets to shoot down civilians airliners isn't an example of a mistakes ,it's an example how little training people who were incharge of the systems ,
    There is a pretty big difference between the radar signature of a civilian airliner which carries transponders to so they can be identified on radar both civil and military systems and that of a modern fighter jet ,

That's two posts now where you're attempting to set up your own desired definition of a military mistake. Basically, if it comes out that an Iranian general did it by mistake, you will say it was not a mistake.

I not going to point score

There is no comeback to the Iranians claims about the strikes and shooting down a civilian airliner killing all on board,but some how this will be twisted to blame America ,
    They Lost this one in a major way even the moral high ground of the shooting down of Flight 655 , which was banidied around by several people but America did this and Iran has never (until yesterday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

alastair wrote: »
    Nope. Amnesty put the death toll at just over 100.

Wrong again. But do keep defending the indefensible.

https://www.voanews.com/middle-east/voa-news-iran/us-confirms-report-citing-iran-officials-saying-1500-killed-protests

There is no comeback to the Iranians claims

They Lost this one in a major way even the moral high ground of the shooting down of Flight 655 , which was banidied around by several people but America did this and Iran has never (until yesterday)

Let’s see if the Iranians actually shot it down, and then see if they award medals to those responsible. Then they would actually lose the high moral ground on the topic.

Let’s see if the Iranians actually shot it down,

Who else could have done it ,

The butler in the library or the hand of God

Who else could have done it ,

The butler in the library or the hand of God

You’re assuming anyone shot it down. We’ve no evidence on that yet. But my point stands regardless.

That was confirmed to have been shot down by Ukraine accidentally using Russian weapons.

Are you for real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

charlie14 wrote: »
    The US do not seem to share your concerns when it comes to who they sell weapons too.

We have two conflicting claims from two US news networks supposedly from the same expert sources. US military and intelligence, plus a thought from Trump.
    I have not heard any from experts from the crash site, where the Iranian Aviation Authority are carrying out their investigation according to agreed international best practice.
    Until we hear from the experts on the ground then speculation is pointless chatter imho

Agreed international best practice!!! Lol ... did u not read that some of the memory is already lost!!!! Oops how did that happen!?

As regards who America sell weapons to .... who u referring to ? Either way it’s the same as anything someone sells... u have to assume the buyer will use their better judgement when using product

We don’t blame toyota if the driver of a corolla decides to aim it at a family on the sidewalk and drives over them

And no one here seems to be blaming Russia for selling missiles to Iran either...

You’re assuming anyone shot it down.

It was shot down only ones saying it wasn't is Iran and a few people on boards

Basically, if it comes out that an Iranian general did it .

Irish boardies will deny and lie and claim it was a accident they were shooting at American jets that weren't there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm still sure it was hit by mistake by a ground to ground missile.
    Probably billion to one odds but that is what happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

There is no comeback to the Iranians claims about the strikes and shooting down a civilian airliner killing all on board,but some how this will be twisted to blame America ,

I recognize you using this tragedy to attack Iran further. If Iran shot the plane down, it was a mistake.

Provide evidence they carried it out deliberately then I admit you have a point?

You believe US intelligence correct and you not yet examined the evidence. If US presents the evidence and i see it for myself it real, then we go from there. Right now it just unfounded allegations and unnamed officials tallking to Newsweek

The new thread there for you to blame Iran for shooting down the airliner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Anyone claiming that passenger planes get deliberately shot down needs to head on over to the conspiracy thread. Give your teddy bear a nice squeeze on the way over.

Have to say that when it comes to the idea Iran has russian systems defending them is a little iffy more civilian airliners have been shot down by Russian weapons than any other nations weapons

And the US DoD as of yesterday. I’ll wait for the findings of the investigation.

I recognize you using this tragedy to attack Iran further. If Iran shot the plane down, it was a mistake.

Using a tragedy to attack Iran,

It happened they launched a few missiles in a supposed massive attack ,hit a few tents and shot down an airliner that had only taken off from an Iranian civilian airport .

What happened to the precision strikes if they couldn't tell the difference between a 737 and a fighter jet no wonder they couldn't hit anything but tents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Have to say that when it comes to the idea Iran has russian systems defending them is a little iffy more civilian airliners have been shot down by Russian weapons than any other nations weapons

We still waiting for US intelligence Soleimani was planning attacks in days and weeks. No specifics still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

skallywag wrote: »
    Anyone claiming that passenger planes get deliberately shot down needs to head on over to the conspiracy thread. Give your teddy bear a nice squeeze on the way over.

I don't think anyone says that...looks like Iran messed up...big time

pearcider wrote: »

Ehh, that’s not a confirmation of the Reuter’s report, it’s an acknowledgment of a report. And so far it’s a figure not supported by any evidence. I was wrong however the updated Amnesty figure was 300.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone says that...looks like Iran messed up...big time

Would you go as far as to say this mess up was an accident or a mistake?

Advertisement