Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillips hue setup?

Options
  • 09-01-2020 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, converting the attic at the moment was going to put in 3 gu10s but am thinking of maybe using hue instead, my question is what exactly would I need? I know they do gu10 lamps and I want to put some sort of wall switch in preferably two. Also be handy being able to use the app as it’s my daughters room so might be handy to turn off the lights from downstairs. Would anyone bother with the colour ones for a bedroom?
    I realise this has all probably been asked before but I’m on the phone and the search is a bit clunky.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

salmocab wrote: »
    Hey folks, converting the attic at the moment was going to put in 3 gu10s but am thinking of maybe using hue instead, my question is what exactly would I need? I know they do gu10 lamps and I want to put some sort of wall switch in preferably two. Also be handy being able to use the app as it’s my daughters room so might be handy to turn off the lights from downstairs. Would anyone bother with the colour ones for a bedroom?
    I realise this has all probably been asked before but I’m on the phone and the search is a bit clunky.
    Cheers

Just get the gu10 white ambiance for a bedroom, I have hue all over the house and to be honest the colour is just a gimmick it’s rarely used

Depending on the size of the attic 3 x GU10 may not be enough?!

You will also need the hue bridge in order to avail of the smart control. Have a look at the starter packs on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just get the gu10 white ambiance for a bedroom, I have hue all over the house and to be honest the colour is just a gimmick it’s rarely used

Depending on the size of the attic 3 x GU10 may not be enough?!

Ah it’s small enough in fairness, what else do I need aside from the lamps?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I use the Ikea version. They do GU10 equivalents for a fraction of the price that work seamlessly with the Philips Hue app.

2011 wrote: »
    I use the Ikea version. They do GU10 equivalents for a fraction of the price that work seamlessly with the Philips Hue app.

Yep ikea version I believe is quite good and a lot cheaper than hue.

I started with a hue light strip so just decided to continue on from there.

salmocab wrote: »
    Ah it’s small enough in fairness, what else do I need aside from the lamps?

You need the hue bridge, if you are set on Philips, then look at starter kits on amazon.

As 2011 said, ikea do a version which are very good also.

There is an IOT forum on her you should look at

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We use the colour lamps the whole time. We even replaced white bulbs with colour ones.

We set the lights to red or orange close to our son's bedtime as this is more restful. The colour lamps can also effectively be dimmed more than the white ones. We even have colour outdoor lights which don't shine into rooms at night in the same way as white when set at lower frequency colours.

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Coloured bulbs in the bedroom and an Alexa means you can set up a routine to have red light and Barry White play when you're getting close with the missus.

On a more serious note, the colour is cool for setting mood, but also can be a bit annoying to have to change the colour when you just want normal white light.

As someone said before you need a hue bridge for the smart control to work. This needs a power socket and also an ethernet connection to your router, pretty sure it doesn't work over wifi (or at least it didn't when I set mine up a few years ago).

Also you will want the wall mounted switches for rooms you use frequently IMO. Using your phone is a bit slow, voice control requires an Alexa or whatever but also gets a bit old after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cheers, presumed it would be on the electrical forum so that’s why I didn’t see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Someone already mentioned Ikea bulbs and said you need a hue bridge. But a hue bridge is expensive. The ikea bulbs work with the ikea hub. If you don’t already have a hue bridge then I’d suggest using ikea brands for both bulbs and the hub and void philips altogether. I have both hue bulbs and ikea but it’s because I got into philips first. The ikea bulbs are far cheaper and will work with the hue bridge but if not already invested in philips I’d go with ikea for the entire bundle.

Oh and the ikea remote is handy. It can be on its cradle attached to the wall and it can be moved out of the cradle and taken to bed with there. Allows full dinning range and powering on/off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jarvis wrote: »
    Someone already mentioned Ikea bulbs and said you need a hue bridge. But a hue bridge is expensive.

Not that expensive on EBay or Amazon.
    The ikea bulbs work with the ikea hub.

Correct but the advantage of the Philips Hie hub is that it allows you to use the Philips Hue software which is vastly superior to the IKEA offering. It also allows for use of all of the 3rd party Philips Hue apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Be careful mixing IKEA and Phillips Hue, not everyone has the same expertise mixing them. There have been plenty of posts on the home automation forum advising to go for one or the other. They can work with the app but not be compatible with the Hue Bridge.

I went all in with Hue, I now have 18 bulbs (4 colour b22, 2 led strips the rest ambient white b22), 3 dimmers and 2 motion sensors. All of them were bought on Amazon, most by watching the price using Keepa and buying when they were massively reduced in the sales.

Not that expensive on EBay or Amazon.

Correct but the advantage of the Philips Hie hub is that it allows you to use the Philips Hue software which is vastly superior to the IKEA offering. It also allows for use of all of the 3rd party Philips Hue apps.

Yeah but he can decide if he wants to make that investment for what he gets and what he needs. It’s 3 gu10 bulbs in a child’s attic bedroom.

Be careful mixing IKEA and Phillips Hue, not everyone has the same expertise mixing them. There have been plenty of posts on the home automation forum advising to go for one or the other. They can work with the app but not be compatible with the Hue Bridge.

I went all in with Hue, I now have 18 bulbs (4 colour b22, 2 led strips the rest ambient white b22), 3 dimmers and 2 motion sensors. All of them were bought on Amazon, most by watching the price using Keepa and buying when they were massively reduced in the sales.

Careful in what way? I’ve mixed both fine. Had no setup issues. Do you mean some people may find them tricky to setup or suggesting here’s a danger aspect?

Be careful mixing IKEA and Phillips Hue, not everyone has the same expertise mixing them.

I can honestly say that my expertise is limited to the following:
    1) When pair IKEA lamps power off all other smart lamps.
    2) Power up the new lamp right beside the bridge when pairing.
    The above has worked for me every time.
    There have been plenty of posts on the home automation forum advising to go for one or the other. They can work with the app but not be compatible with the Hue Bridge.

I have never had that issue and I have around 20 IKEA branded lamps. This saved me a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Careful in what way? I’ve mixed both fine. Had no setup issues. Do you mean some people may find them tricky to setup or suggesting here’s a danger aspect?

Troublesome, some IKEA ones don't work well with the Phillips Hue hub. I'd go all in on one or the other

Yeah but he can decide if he wants to make that investment for what he gets and what he needs.

Yup.
    It’s only a recommendation made by a poster based on personal experience that I happen to agree with.
    It’s 3 gu10 bulbs in a child’s attic bedroom.

Initially, but as the IKEA option is is cheap many people start with one room and end up doing the entire house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Can you get dimmer switches that incorporate the colour selection function?
    It can be a bit annoying to have to go into an app on your phone or use voice commands alright.

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can you get dimmer switches that incorporate the colour selection function?
    It can be a bit annoying to have to go into an app on your phone or use voice commands alright.

Yes the Hue dimmer switch lets you toggle through 4 light scenes.

Advertisement