Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving €500 for 10 years for daughter

• 09-01-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

So a family member gave me €500 for my daughter, to save for her until she’s 18. That’s about 10 years which the money could be left untouched.

What’s the simplest, safest option with some kind of return? I’m thinking some kind of government or post office bond? Is there a better option these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Buy prize bonds. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I'd lodge it into a 10 year savings account with an post (personally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Prize bonds are probably the best option. There doesn't seem to be much point locking it away for 10 years for the total return of €80 (10 year State Savings at 16%). At least with Prize Bonds you have the (low) possibility of a big win, and if necessary you can access it before then.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭oghran

Thanks for the advice. Best I found on the An Post website was 16% for a 10 year bond, which will give me €580. Not great to be honest, so I think I'll just stick in a savings account with the bank, and keep adding my own money to it each month instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Open a Degiro account and invest it all in Microsoft or Disney shares. She'll be accumulating dividends for 10years as well as any capital gain which I would expect to be a lot higher than the an post offer.

• Advertisement

Open a Degiro account and invest it all in Microsoft or Disney shares. She'll be accumulating dividends for 10years as well as any capital gain which I would expect to be a lot higher than the an post offer.

And 41% deemed disposal tax after 8 years as well I assume? That might not make it quite such a good return.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

oghran wrote: »
    And 41% deemed disposal tax after 8 years as well I assume? That might not make it quite such a good return.

There is no deemed disposal on shares.

There is no deemed disposal on shares.

Oh interesting, that I did not know. Something I need to look into that as I have a Degiro account I got for ETFs (which were discontinued). I guess maybe individual shares might actually be a bit simpler for tax.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

oghran wrote: »
    Oh interesting, that I did not know. Something I need to look into that as I have a Degiro account I got for ETFs (which were discontinued). I guess maybe individual shares might actually be a bit simpler for tax.

Yes, ETFs are deemed disposal. Normal shares are income tax on dividends and CGT on profits when selling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've something similar to do. How would one go about this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement