Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini Socket Wrench Sockets?

• 09-01-2020 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭

Bear with me here. I have very little idea what I'm on about :o

So; I have my 1/2" ratchet wrench. I have sockets, #10 upwards.

I now want sockets #9, down to stupidly small. I'm talking nuts about a 1/4" and I'd might as well get All the smaller sizes because ..... tools / sets!

Googled like a Boss. Can only find total sets. Can I buy a set of lower sized ones, please? Of course, I'll perfectly happily buy them with another, 'Micro' wrench. Probably be better if I did. I just can't find any.

Any Mechanics? Engineers? Google Gods?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

[I have found it cheaper to buy a set of the different sizes, rather than buying them individually. If you do not have any major work than a cheap selection may suffice.

quote="Stigura;112211197"]Bear with me here. I have very little idea what I'm on about :o

So; I have my 1/2" ratchet wrench. I have sockets, #10 upwards.

I now want sockets #9, down to stupidly small. I'm talking nuts about a 1/4" and I'd might as well get All the smaller sizes because ..... tools / sets!

Googled like a Boss. Can only find total sets. Can I buy a set of lower sized ones, please? Of course, I'll perfectly happily buy them with another, 'Micro' wrench. Probably be better if I did. I just can't find any.

Any Mechanics? Engineers? Google Gods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

You can buy them separate from E Fox in Rathcoole. Also check out Wurth, them do some small sets.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/magnusson-1-4-drive-standard-socket-rail-11-pieces/8325v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Stigura

Absolutely, Adrian! Yeppers. I must admit ~ :o God, this is gonna be humiliating! ~ I initially bought the ratchet, because I liked seeing other people using them. I liked the sound, and the fact that there was none of that 'Take the spanner off. Put the spanner back on' rubbish.

Having got the wrench, I started looking for nuts I could use it on. Bought a few sockets, to fit nuts I had in use about the place. Then, had to fill in the gaps in the set. Because I'm a man!

Now? I'm facing a job using tiny little nuts ..... What's a man to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Worth taking a look at Halfords socket sets. You get nearly everything you need in one box. Watch out for their special offers as they are occasionally reduced to half price.

Eire1; Thanks! (Why didn't I just think to check Screwfix? :rolleyes:)

Saying that though; While I like the idea of a little rack for them? I reckon I should weigh up the pro's and con's between buying that (1/4") set. Leaving me with four sockets I'd be duplicating. Then having to buy a 1/4" wrench .....

Wonder if that other place ye mention has them in 1/2" I'll have to try and find them and find out. Cost isn't really the issue. It's just the fun of getting 'just the tool for the job'.

Even if the job's a one off and I'll probably never use the damn things again! :D

• Advertisement

Oh! Forgot to show everybody this. What happens when an older man just has too much time on his hands! :o

stn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I think a 1/2" drive is not the right size for working on very small fasteners- even if you could get sockets small enough ( my own 1/2" set only goes down to 8mm). There's going to be too much torque (and too easy to abuse it) when using a 12" long ratchet on a 7mm nut- law of the lever and all that. A 1/4" ratchet set would cover all the smaller sockets from maybe 4mm up to 13mm or so. A 3/8" set is a compromise and covers a bit of both. I remember reading somewhere that a 1/4" set is for working on cycles and motorcycles, a 3/8" and 1/2" for cars and for anything bigger than that it's a 3/4" and above! Once you have a decent ratchet it's cheap enough to pick up the odd size you don't have when the need arises.

Halfords do a fantastic little 1/4" set (around €50) with the hard to get "6 point" (hex) sockets- every home should have one, it's ideal for all the small fastners you'll meet on any household repairs.

A 1/4" ratchet set would cover all the smaller sockets from maybe 4mm up to 13mm or so.

Sorry, Jack; I'd actually written Two drafts of my initial post. Got lost and did it again. First time though, I'd actually stated that I reckoned I'd be better off with a little, 1/4" 'Micro' wrench :)

Good input. That brings me closer. (Sorry; I was googling Wurth ~ drool! Then my snapper demanded my attention)

I'll get round to Halfords. Two mentions already? Might be something in it.

But, yeah, I reckon that settles it. I have my big wrench, for those 'normal' sized bolts. Have all the sockets I'll ever need with it.

Time to buy a whole new tool (Woe is me! :D) Perfection would be a compact, 1/4" wrench with sockets from silly small to 9 or 10. In a little hard case, of course!

Hard cases! Could have a thread about those alone, surely? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭cletus

https://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-36-piece-socket-set-1-4

1/4" socket set, 3.5mm to 14mm. Lifetime warranty

If you're buying from Halfords, make sure you buy the Halfords Advanced stuff, not the Phase. That stuff is made from chromed chocolate

cletus wrote: »
    That stuff is made from chromed chocolate.

:DThat made me laugh! Thanks!

Sorry to have vanished ~ Again! ~ Friend in Kiwi was extraordinarily early on the mike chat. Had to bail.

Now, though; I'll see your fifty quid Halfords - Nice looking kit. But, almost as many sockets I have as those I'll need. Plus plenty of 'spiggot' heads I'll likely never use.

And, I'll raise ye This! Stanley, hard cased, 1/4". Six I 'need'. Four I don't. Plus a not to be sniffed at little bonus of a select few spiggot heads I won't be throwing away. Thirty quid!

Oh, and; Did I ever mention I have a weakness for Stanley gear? :P

Have to admit: I'm stone cold broke, at the moment. Can't afford to spend time. I'm just window shopping and dreaming of the very near future. Else, I'd probably just have said " Sod it! " and snatched the Stanley set.

But, 'Fools rush in'. Figured I'd better establish, first, the exact sizes of nuts and bolts I'll be working with here. That, of course, will be governed by the size of the holes in my 'Galvy Straps' (" Rafter Straps " did someone call them?).

And the thickness of two of those straps. Plus washers? (Why do we use washers :confused: Metal work was never my subject)

Anyone reckon they can add to this conversation? Pile on in. I'm well aware too, from all this, that I really must grab a cheap, digital caliper! I'm for ever needing to know the size of some vile, bare several mm hole or what ever. Save that for another thread though! ;)

Thanks, all :)

• Advertisement

Don’t buy Stanley crap. You’re paying for a branded piece of dirt chineseum junk-set.

:eek: Oh f*** no! Don't smash my illusion! Ye mean; Stanley have now gone flied lice, like De Walt???

Save up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=499640&d=1578621070

Stigura wrote: »
    :eek: Oh f*** no! Don't smash my illusion! Ye mean; Stanley have now gone flied lice, like De Walt???

Same company. Black and Decker - DeWalt own Stanley. Pure dirt.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I think a 1/2" drive is not the right size for working on very small fasteners- even if you could get sockets small enough ( my own 1/2" set only goes down to 8mm). There's going to be too much torque (and too easy to abuse it) when using a 12" long ratchet on a 7mm nut- law of the lever and all that. A 1/4" ratchet set would cover all the smaller sockets from maybe 4mm up to 13mm or so. A 3/8" set is a compromise and covers a bit of both. I remember reading somewhere that a 1/4" set is for working on cycles and motorcycles, a 3/8" and 1/2" for cars and for anything bigger than that it's a 3/4" and above! Once you have a decent ratchet it's cheap enough to pick up the odd size you don't have when the need arises.

Halfords do a fantastic little 1/4" set (around €50) with the hard to get "6 point" (hex) sockets- every home should have one, it's ideal for all the small fastners you'll meet on any household repairs.

Absolutely sound advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Keep an eye in Lidl.
    Every year they sell a really super quality 3/8 inch drive set of sockets ( brand name ORWO or something).
    Everything from a 6mm to a 19mm.
    I've even used the 17mm on a 1/2 inch air gun, using an adapter that comes with the set, and its stood up to it perfectly.

If you want quality, Teng are a great brand.
    Buying the cased set they are not stupidly expensive, but the quality is top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

My special edition Wurth mini set 🥰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Bahco are a good set to have around the place, good quality too.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bahco-s160-1-4-drive-socket-set-16-pcs/8984f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I remember reading somewhere that a 1/4" set is for working on cycles and motorcycles, a 3/8" and 1/2" for cars and for anything bigger than that it's a 3/4" and above!

:pac:

On a motorcycle you'd need a 1/4" and a 1/2" set

Rear wheel nut (yes, singular) on my previous bike was 146Nm

Scrap the cap!

eire1 wrote: »
    My special edition Wurth mini set ��

Now, That's eye candy, isn't it?! :) Lovely!

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    Save up.
    Pure dirt.

Now, in fairness, I'd love ye to go off and start a thread about 'Which Brand?'. I'd bet it would run and run. Get terribly 'exciting' at times too. I'd certainly be in there, shoving My 2 cents into the mele.

Comparable to football, isn't it? A man can form a lifelong attachment to any given team, even if it means following them to the bottom of the league like a lead balloon. Because they're His team. My team is Stanley. " Come On You Black And Yellowwws!!! " :D

I'll never part with my beloved Stanley 'Yankee' screw driver (Made In England, back in the day) And, I only the other week found the (Brit made) Stanley screwdriver I'd loved and lost over forty years ago. The skeleton of my 1970's, brit made Black & Decker 'Work Mate' stands out in my compound, and shall be there the day I die.

And that day won't be so far away now either. I'm getting on. Half the tools I buy now will see Very little actual work. I'm an occasional DIYer. Not a full time, professional Fixer. I don't Need to buy Snap On, or what ever the current brand to be seen with is.

My little wrench will likely tighten less than twenty tiny nuts. Then it'll go on the shelf, in its little case. And there it'll sit ~ me basking in the knowledge that I now own yet another tool I can impress Pat with :p And I'll most likely never find another bloody use for it.

Think I'll buy that Stanley now; Just to stick two fingers up at the opposing teams supporter! :D

Czhornet wrote: »
    Bahco are a good set to have around the place, good quality too.

Interestingly, I've never in my life owned a Bacho. Wonder who actually makes them? (Just passing curiosity. Don't want to kick off a terrace clash on this thread :rolleyes:)

You get what you pay for. Sometimes you get a lot less than you pay for, which is exactly what you'll end up with if you waste £30 on that Stanley set. I'm not knocking more affordable tools in preference for chromed bling. The Stanley brand now is Chinese made stuff, cost engineered to be barely passable to the casual eye as anything close to what it once was. I just cannot in good conscience recommend that sort of sheite to anyone preparing to spend their hard earned/saved cash buying the junk they now peddle. But as my granny used to say, a fool and their money are easily parted.

Top picks for value for money is the Bahco set from Screwfix for €35 and the Halfords set for €50 if you have one nearby and think you'd ever need to avail of the lifetime warranty for replacement. The Wurth stuff is nice alright, but I'm not a brand whore when it comes to these tools. I have two 24" metal cantilever toolboxes for sockets, ratchets, torque wrenches and the like, filled with Draper Expert, Halfords, Bahco, Hazet and Wurth tools. Some are nicer than others, but they all stand up to a lot of use and will last me decades to come. Overkill for a casual DIY user.

But a handful of Draper Expert sockets from your local motor factors will prove to be better value if you're not into burning money than that sort of 'Stanley' set. Go that route, wait for a Lidl or Aldi set, order the Bahco ones or smash the piggy bank and buy the Halfords Advanced set. All are better options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I like my tools, but I like a bargain also- the most expensive socket set in my tool collection was the Draper Expert 1/2" set, think I paid £50 for it in a motor factors about 20 years ago, great value for a decent set with a good strong ratchet. Next on the right- 1/4" and 3/8" sets by Irimo (a European manufacturer- part of the Snap on group), again bought for under €100 for the pair) in a Dublin tool shop, the Gedore set is a 1/2" AF/ Whitworth set (rarely used)- paid €50 for this in another tool shop. To the front is the Halfords set- case long missing its lid, have it 10 years now and only paid €25 for it at the time as it was on offer. I've no experience with Bahco sockets but I have a few of their adjustable wrenches, which are excellent. You can get good tools for reasonable money in bricks and mortar shops, if you look around!

To the Moderator.

The OP , it seems, dismisses everyone in their efforts to advise.

(Perhaps I am wrong; just the impression I got)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Interestingly, I've never in my life owned a Bacho. Wonder who actually makes them? (Just passing curiosity. Don't want to kick off a terrace clash on this thread :rolleyes:)

They haven't been Swedish for ages, but had quality tools when they were made in Argentina

adrian92 wrote: »
    To the Moderator.

The OP , it seems, dismisses everyone in their efforts to advise.

(Perhaps I am wrong; just the impression I got)

Ooh! We're allowed to Back Seat Mod in here then? How nice :)

Perhaps my post at 22 was " Tl;Dr "?

Or, maybe my initial post didn't make it clear enough that I only asked where I might find some 9 down sockets? I've just re read it and really can't see where I asked for the best quality tools on the world market ~ in Anyone's misjudged opinion.

Mee Owww! :rolleyes:

Ooh! We're allowed to Back Seat Mod in here then? How nice :)

Perhaps my post at 22 was " Tl;Dr "?

Or, maybe my initial post didn't make it clear enough that I only asked where I might find some 9 down sockets? I've just re read it and really can't see where I asked for the best quality tools on the world market ~ in Anyone's misjudged opinion.

Mee Owww! :rolleyes:

You don’t seem to know what you want.

You don’t seem to know what you want.

:confused: Did You not read my first, and post 22? I honestly don't see how I could make it much plainer what I want.

If I'd posted, eg. " I'm looking at a life long career as a Machine Shop Fitter. Which brand of Hex Wrench Set should I be buying? " Then I'd fully understand and appreciate all the drama.

I'm a retired rat catcher who likes 'Tools'. I have less than two dozen nuts to tighten and have an age old affection for what Stanley once was.

Why do you people feel the need to bully me? Christ, are you like this in real life?!

• Advertisement

The Halfords socket sets go half price every 6 weeks (or so it seems). If you can hold out, and watch the Halfords site you'll get a set that's cheaper than the Stanley set, nicer to use, and a lifetime warranty to boot

:eek: Jeesuss! <Scuttles off to find this Halfords site!>

:confused: Did You not read my first, and post 22? I honestly don't see how I could make it much plainer what I want.

If I'd posted, eg. " I'm looking at a life long career as a Machine Shop Fitter. Which brand of Hex Wrench Set should I be buying? " Then I'd fully understand and appreciate all the drama.

I'm a retired rat catcher who likes 'Tools'. I have less than two dozen nuts to tighten and have an age old affection for what Stanley once was.

Why do you people feel the need to bully me? Christ, are you like this in real life?!

Look, you asked for recommendations. You linked yourself to a junky overpriced set, then did some wrist wringing about having 4 socket sizes overlapping. In one post you "Cost isn't really the issue.", then "Have to admit: I'm stone cold broke, at the moment. Can't afford to spend time. I'm just window shopping and dreaming of the very near future. Else, I'd probably just have said " Sod it! " and snatched the Stanley set." just a few clicks later.

You go from asking about a set from #9 (9mm I suppose) down to whatever. You talk about buying a set with a micro-wrench (??), you reference Wurth, you say the Halfords stuff might be worth a look as two mentioned it already. You ask about Bahco out of curiosity, in terms of where it's made.

Then you just won't accept that the Stanley set you seem to be keen on is rubbish. And it is. I make no apologies for calling a turd a turd.

All the while, who knows what you bloody well want, need, what your budget is, if you'll actually buy anything that any of us are wasting our time trying to point you towards. There's not the slightest hint of gratitude for my input or anyone elses, then you waste more time talking about football team comparisons which are entirely irrelevant.

Buy what you want, if you buy anything. Great, your money, spend it and live with the decision you make. Because it seems like an absolute waste of time for you, me and everyone else who tries to actually give you advice in response to the meandering question you first presented.

You ask for input from 'mechanics' and 'engineers', dismiss everything people with knowledge and experience spend the time thinking and typing out in a reply, then you cry wolf and act like you're being picked on. You're not. But it'd be easier if you didn't look to argue with people who actually have experience in the areas you're trying to find out about. That's all.

So yeah, buy your Stanley set, fiddle with your nuts and don't be wasting peoples time.

:eek: Jeesuss! <Scuttles off to find this Halfords site!>

:rolleyes:

That's exactly the sort of nonsense I'm talking about.

:eek: OMFG!!! Cletus; For My pathetic little need; What the hell's wrong with This one??? (At my stage in the game, mate? There's no need for " Life Time Guarantees " :D)

https://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-30-piece-socket-set-1-4

Fourteen quid?! I Defy ye ~ or anyone! ~ to give me a sound reason not to buy it, right now! Then, I can finish my trap, as soon as I get back into town and buy the nuts and bolts! :D

It's perfect. Absolutely perfect. Couldn't be a better option, ideally suited, made of the finest brass bulls testicles alloyed with recycling space shuttle wings. Polished using progressive compounds on the inner thigh of cuban cigar smoking virgins, lovingly kissed by their plump full lips before being carefully placed into the finest blow moulded case ever to emerge from the worlds finest ABS plant the far side of the emperors wall.

Now, if only it had a Stanley logo on it, they'd be able to sell it for €50 to all and sundry.

• Advertisement

Perhaps it would be an idea for the Moderator to close this discussion.

Everyone has tried to assist. The OP does not seem, it seems, use respectful words.

Perhaps others agree ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Well here's my take on socket sets from when I used to be in the trade.

1/2" was my go to set.Used these all day every day.Buy the best don't scrimp on the 1/2 sockets.Your knuckles will thank you.
    Due to the nature of the game you will break them...mostly because of misuse and sheer violence.
    I've broken the best of gear,ratchets,t-bars,strong bars you name it.

3/8" These were for more delicate and hard to reach places.You can buy the mid range price here as they will not get as much hardship.

1/4" Any old set will do ya here. I'd never use anything above 10mm in this set as the ratchet is probably the weakest part of the kit.
    I've broken a few ratchets trying to loosen a tight 13mm bolt head.8mm thread.

For someone using a 1/4" set for home use that halfords set would be perfectly fine.

Wera - nice stuff.

:eek: That's the ones!!! Saw them on Screwfix, last night! OMG; The Prices!!! They Must be the Rolls Royce of kit, yeah? Wow!

stratowide wrote: »
    For someone using a 1/4" set for home use that halfords set would be perfectly fine.

Thanks, Stratowide. That's what I'm thinking :)

And, I'm sure, ye input about socket sets, in general, will be appreciated by anyone searching for the inside track on the things over all ;)

• Advertisement

:eek: OMFG!!! Cletus; For My pathetic little need; What the hell's wrong with This one??? (At my stage in the game, mate? There's no need for " Life Time Guarantees " :D)

https://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-30-piece-socket-set-1-4

Fourteen quid?! I Defy ye ~ or anyone! ~ to give me a sound reason not to buy it, right now! Then, I can finish my trap, as soon as I get back into town and buy the nuts and bolts! :D

Honestly, its probably absolutely fine. In fact, I had forgotten that I bought that set for my father after watching him use a ratchet that had so much backlash between teeth you'd nearly get through a third of a turn before engagement.

Will it feel as nice in the hand as say a Wurth, or even the Advanced range from the same suppliers (I'm a big fan of that stuff), subjectively no. Will it fasten the nuts and bolts on your rook trap? Definitely

Advertisement