Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoration of Stormont

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    About bloody time.

No doubt they decided to start on a Sat so they could get the double time OT weekend rate.

Let's hope they can actually make some progress on the issues affecting the country going forward.

No. They need a working functional executive before the deadline on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

No. They need a working functional executive before the deadline on Monday.

You've obviously a much higher opinion of the lot of them than I do.

You've obviously a much higher opinion of the lot of them than I do.

No, just a high opinion of 'facts'. That is why they sat today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

About bloody time.

No doubt they decided to start on a Sat so they could get the double time OT weekend rate.

Let's hope they can actually make some progress on the issues affecting the country going forward.
    There is no such rate

No, just a high opinion of 'facts'. That is why they sat today.

I don't know these facts, but if be interested to find out...

How many of them didn't take their pay when they weren't actually doing their job? If I stopped working I wouldn't get much pay. What about you?

Was their pay capped similar to the nurses the last several years?

• Advertisement

I don't know these facts, but if be interested to find out...

How many of them didn't take their pay when they weren't actually doing their job? If I stopped working I wouldn't get much pay. What about you?

Was their pay capped similar to the nurses the last several years?

Those are different points.
    I was just pointing out the fact that they had to sit today due to a deadline set by the SoS.

On the actual point you made, I am not sure it would have been right to suspend the pay of MLA's who couldn't do anything to resolve the issues. The Alliance, SDLP UUP etc.

I lay some blame at the feet of Westminster here too because I think we would have gotten to Smith's deadline far quicker but for the sweetheart deal the Tories had with the DUP.

Anyone can see what happened as soon as the Tories didn't require them anymore.

On the actual point you made, I am not sure it would have been right to suspend the pay of MLA's who couldn't do anything to resolve the issues. The Alliance, SDLP UUP etc.

I lay some blame at the feet of Westminster here too because I think we would have gotten to Smith's deadline far quicker but for the sweetheart deal the Tories had with the DUP.

Yes, agree and agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

On the contrary,she is desperate to hold on to the leadership after a couple of dreadful elections.

Sinn Fein have compromised for a long time now and their "republicanism" is just a flag of convenience.

One time they did not recognise the government,the courts,the police and the army of the republic,now they recognise everything including the border.

The leadership gave half hearted support to the liberal agenda pushed through by Vrad even though many SF supporters ,particularly away from the urban centres are conservative,catholic nationalists .

NiRiada's vote and the very poor vote received by the party in the European and local elections shows that voters do not know what to make of the party now and the overwhelming desire by the leadership to be accepted by FF and FG as coalition partners is difficult for supporters to stomach.

It's the taxpayers loss to let Foster off the hook.
    I'd say many a concession was made by both sides to get this far.
    The only babies remaining firmly in their pram sans toys are the DUP.
    The main criticism SF get on here is for being petty and stubborn, now it's something else.
    Falling afoul of the higher bar than we set FF and FG.
    They'll get what ever votes they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Interestingly, two of NIs 3 MEPs are now MLAs - Naomi Long has taken her own seat back with her replacement resigning; and Diane Dodds has taken the vacancy caused by Carla Lockhart's election to Westminster. Long has got the Justice ministry.

The Dual Mandate ban does not apply here as it isn't the national legislature and anyway, there's 20 days left probably.

The Executive is quite sensible except for a climate change denier in Environment (Poots) but he'd cause damage anywhere he was put

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Apparently Jeffrey Donaldson is out claiming the win that the DUP will have a veto over the Irish language, because that's the important stuff - stopping the IL.

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/politics/dup-has-veto-over-irish-language-standards-says-jeffrey-donaldson-1-9197648

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Is the cash for ash scandal forgotten about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Is the cash for ash scandal forgotten about then?

There's a report due out on that soon that'll be the end of Foster i'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Apparently Jeffrey Donaldson is out claiming the win that the DUP will have a veto over the Irish language, because that's the important stuff - stopping the IL.

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/politics/dup-has-veto-over-irish-language-standards-says-jeffrey-donaldson-1-9197648

I suppose that it's all they really have. I mean, they've just undermined the foundation of the UK which is their entire raison-d'etre so they have to present something as a win to their base.

I don't know if this is true or not but that's how I'd read it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

BluePlanet wrote: »

Talk about reconciliation.
    Just looking to get a rise out of the troops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Have unionists got a problem with Scots Gaelic?

As in the protestants and Presbyterian in Scotland who speak Scots Gaelic

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

It's the bottom line really. It's only heading one way...to a normal society.

Indeed. You only have to look at the results of the recent UK General election to see the evidence of an emerging nationalist majority in North, South and west Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

Seems Northern Ireland aren't getting nearly the amount of money in a handout they were expecting. 1-2 billion instead of 5. With Brexit beginning I think this will be the status quo from now on. London's purse strings will be tied and I'd expect anyone who recieves EU subsidies to be the first casualty - farmers and infrastructure investment spring to mind.

Much of this has to sit with Dodds and Foster, their histrionics during their confidence and supply agreement have left them shunted and disowned. Discarded and useless to the Tories.

Also decades of financial mismanagement in Northern Ireland has come back to bite the entire Stormont executive. They have not made a good start this week.

RHI incoming, and Brexit. Hold on tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

weemcd wrote: »
    Seems Northern Ireland aren't getting nearly the amount of money in a handout they were expecting. 1-2 billion instead of 5. With Brexit beginning I think this will be the status quo from now on. London's purse strings will be tied and I'd expect anyone who recieves EU subsidies to be the first casualty - farmers and infrastructure investment spring to mind.

Much of this has to sit with Dodds and Foster, their histrionics during their confidence and supply agreement have left them shunted and disowned. Discarded and useless to the Tories.

Also decades of financial mismanagement in Northern Ireland has come back to bite the entire Stormont executive. They have not made a good start this week.

RHI incoming, and Brexit. Hold on tight.

How soon will the blame game start?

SF will stay quiet until after the GE down south

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

How soon will the blame game start?

SF will stay quiet until after the GE down south

It's inevitable, I think you're right though SF will probably keep their nose clean for about a month. But trust when RHI enquiry does come out they will hound Foster. Would bet 50/50 on a collapse after that if she doesn't step down.

It's inevitable, I think you're right though SF will probably keep their nose clean for about a month. But trust when RHI enquiry does come out they will hound Foster. Would bet 50/50 on a collapse after that if she doesn't step down.

In fairness Conor Murphy signalled this before the parties reached a deal and is not being silent now either.

https://www.thejournal.ie/stormont-funding-package-4967540-Jan2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

she deserves to be hounded and she should have already stepped down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Ulster scots has it's own quiz book you can get on Amazon.

It is therefore a true language and warrants holding up democracy in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

"Forenenst" is a word my dad used to use a lot. Never realised it was ulster scots til relatively recently:

http://www.ulsterscotsacademy.com/words/hamely-tongue/f/fornenst.php

Advertisement