Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pumping Cavity that has dry-lining. Worthwhile?

• 10-01-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am renovating a 1998 two storey dormer build that was internally dry-lined.
    There is 50mm areoboard fitted in a 100mm cavity also.

Is it worthwhile filling the cavity with pumped beads or another cavity insulation such as walltite?
    Will pumping the cavity cause issues with the drylining such as mould, dampness etc?
    I am planning on fitting ventilation system.
    I have recently updated the house with new triple glazed windows .
    I have been quoted 2k for beads and over 9k for walltite:eek:

Any advise would be grateful:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

It's a dormer ...test it first for airtightness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭S'

MicktheMan wrote: »
    It's a dormer ...test it first for airtightness.

Got it tested before the windows went in.
    Air permeability of 12.054m3/h/m2@50pa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Who did you get to do the airtightness test, was it expensive and jow long did it take to do, Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

S' wrote: »

:eek: - so you know where the issue is.

Concentrate on addressing the air leakage issues first. Then deal with your cavities if needed (which I doubt).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Hi all,

Is it worthwhile filling the cavity with pumped beads or another cavity insulation such as walltite?
    Will pumping the cavity cause issues with the drylining such as mould, dampness etc?
    I am planning on fitting ventilation system.
    I have recently updated the house with new triple glazed windows .
    I have been quoted 2k for beads and over 9k for walltite:eek:

Id agree with everyone else. Cavity pumping can cause damp, but the risk depends on your location. It is vastly more likely in Connemara than Meath. Check out the online maps of wind driven rain.

Fixing airtightess probably wont be a fun job as a dormer but you will probably be very glad you did it. You have a lot to gain from it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi all,

1. Is it worthwhile filling the cavity with pumped beads or another cavity insulation such as walltite?
    2. Will pumping the cavity cause issues with the drylining such as mould, dampness etc?
    3. I am planning on fitting ventilation system.
    4. I have recently updated the house with new triple glazed windows .
    5. I have been quoted 2k for beads and over 9k for walltite:eek:

1. Yes
    2. Probably not. Installer should be covering this risk. Really you should have been asking this when you dry-lined, as cavity fill is often better than drylnning in this regard.
    3. Improve your air-tighness x 5 times
    4. Junction thermal details. Condensation at unctions?
    5. There is a clear winner..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sweet divine mother of Jesus!!!

Advertisement