Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Rivers 300 Audax 18th April 2020

Options
  • 10-01-2020 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Never even heard of audax until I stumbled on Adam Watkins on YouTube, got sucked in pretty quick and decided to go at one. The 3 Rivers is my choice based on timing and location. Also cos it isn't 400k !! Love to hear from someone with experience of it to enlighten me as to what to expect. Been cycling only since 2017 but taken to it beautifully!! I do 100km regularly with my longest ever ride being 210km. Seemed to have discovered these audax at the exact right time. Seems the perfect new challenge I am after for 2020. Thanks in advance. R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Never even heard of audax until I stumbled on Adam Watkins on YouTube, got sucked in pretty quick and decided to go at one. The 3 Rivers is my choice based on timing and location. Also cos it isn't 400k !! Love to hear from someone with experience of it to enlighten me as to what to expect. Been cycling only since 2017 but taken to it beautifully!! I do 100km regularly with my longest ever ride being 210km. Seemed to have discovered these audax at the exact right time. Seems the perfect new challenge I am after for 2020. Thanks in advance. R.

It's a slippery slope dude. 200 leads to 300 leads to 400 next things there's a 1200 dangled in front of you and your idea of plush is a north facing bus shelter...

Anyway have ridden he old route 3 times I think plus another version of it before it all got changed.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/8215512

That's the old route

With the Ballincollig start I think the current version if probably more challenging.

Anyway it's a great way to spend a day if you have the legs for it.

Good advice here on stepping up to 300's in general

https://www.audaxireland.org/the-saddlebag/stepping-up-to-300k/

The same organiser is doing Gimme Shelter 200 in March I believe, which is well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd suggest a 200 first tbh. I hope to step up to at least 300 this year. The self support aspect does still play on my mind, as I'm not the best home mechanic!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd suggest a 200 first tbh. I hope to step up to at least 300 this year. The self support aspect does still play on my mind, as I'm not the best home mechanic!

Change a tyre anything more call other half

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Thanks for the interest in this event, I'm the organiser of this event. Entry usually opens up 4-6 weeks before the event starts and will be from https://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/. So entry for this event will be open probably in early March

A few notes on the event / Audax
    - The Three Rivers is a tough event, with a lot of climbing in the second half.
    - There is a 200k event from Midleton in Feb (I'm also running that this year). As others said, it might be a good intro
    - There might be 20-40 riders on an event, and they tend to be experienced cyclists, which makes it more relaxed than a sportive. Downside is that you may spend a lot of time by yourself.
    - Audax is unsupported. No broom wagon to transport you back to the start in the event of a mechanical.
    - Audax routes can be off the beaten track and staying on local roads, i.e. poor road surfaces
    - Lights are mandatory. And by that I mean lights to see, not to be seen. Halfords have some decent ones.

Here are some videos I posted previously:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgIQo2Wu5sE&list=PLRwT5fnHeaKEFSS9PuSG0KZX7ucEKcXif

Great to see interest in Audax is increasing! Any questions, just fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Hi Mark, thanks for the info. I'm still up for it anyway. Majority of my rides are solo so that should not be an issue. Taking delivery of a new bike shortly so mechanicals aren't a huge worry. Can get a flat anywhere anytime. I will be doing 200 sometime in March anyway as prep, but as this stage your event in Middleton is just falling on the wrong weekend for me . Keep pedalling anyway and once I'm happy I can get the trip I will sign up. January intentions are the ones on the thinnest of ice 🙂 Hopefully see in cork on the day ✌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...mechanicals aren't a huge worry. Can get a flat anywhere anytime....
    A puncture wouldn't generally be described as a 'mechanical'. 'Mechanicals would be the likes of a broken cable, a broken chain, a broken spoke etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

benneca1 wrote: »
    Change a tyre anything more call other half
    Yeah, that's the bit that scares me about it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Jump from 200 to 400 is considerable as you begin getting into sleep deprivation territory. My advice would be to get a 200 in with a second 200 with a decent commute to bring you up nearer to the 300 mark. After that it’s down to mental adjustment and nutrition and confidence of completing those landmark distances in preparation as well as trial and error of fueling will stand to you.

Echo what previous poster said about slippery slope as once you try to get out they suck you back in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I cannot stress how important cable ties are. Make sure you have cable ties.

Advertisement