Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I left my new weather station In the box. Will it give me a wind reading? :D. I'm in North Kerry if that makes any difference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Eerie calm outside cork city at the moment ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Absolutely calm here in North Clare, stars are out and the car registered 2.5 Celsius

Calm before the storm obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Laurali wrote: »
    Models are starting to converge alright.

Not looking forward to flying across the Atlantic tomorrow!!!

You might get there faster with tail winds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Any indication as to wether it will go to red? Seen a tweet earlier of possible counties from TV3 weather reporter however later discovered it wasnt from Met Eireann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Put down the Buckfast and go off to bed, would ya? Try and relax, you'll give yourself the jitters and the Leon Trotskys.

Nobody asked you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭endainoz

Lads, come on stop the bickering will ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I often imagine what it must be like now out over
    the vast wide ocean on a night like this.100 mph
    gusts ripping across vast swathes of water,not a
    soul in sight just nature,unaware,careless by itself.
    frightening yet fascinating,close enough to the
    sea to imagine but far enough away to be safe.
    makes you aware how insignificant you are.

Natures great at doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Dublin Port Company is closing access to the Great South Wall and the North Bull Wall Bridge for late morning/afternoon. Quite sensible.

https://www.dublinport.ie/storm-brendan-public-notice-dublin-port-company-2/?fbclid=IwAR1f3kxSGLwUfvUy9VVVcoA6sB_2TxWhibYML4i_W83iaMm9o3_iYNsDE5E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Just got an email that my parents flights home from Edinburgh to Shannon has been cancelled. Non coastal Clare didn't seem to be coming off too bad in the charts so a little surprised by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Brendan starting to say hello here in central Mayo now also. A discernible freshening of the wind here over the past fifteen minutes. Looking at the most recent charts posted it does seem that he is certainly still on course to pack a fair bit of a punch. Interesting times. Will see what the morning brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

D'OhA is a fool. Whether he is right or wrong you can see he is fuelling an anti ME sentiment on his page and is really trying to push a "why isn't this red" against them.

The comment section on his facebook is exactly as you'd expect. I've genuinely lost brain cells going in there. All of them. ME want countless people to die on the regular apparently.

ME have already lost this one in the eyes of the average joe on social media. I think they've played it well so far. The constant underestimation of orange warnings and the lack of ability to read forecasts will again go against them though.

Red marine warning - red level winds on coasts caveat included. Orange nationwide. Threat to life warning (we could die in a yellow warning storm). Flooding. Tis all there. Interesting day ahead to see what speeds we get.

Personally - I always find it hard to buy into these mega storms that are well offshore but have huge windfields. Feel like they just never end up with the same bite the models predict compared to having the low much closer to us. Could be very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Flight cancellations so far
    EI381 Heathrow-Shannon
    EI384 Shannon-Heathrow
    EI3630 Shannon-Birmingham
    EI3631 Birmingham-Shannon
    EI3672 Shannon-Edinburgh
    EI3675 Edinburgh-Shannon
    BA1 London City-Shannon(fuel stop)
    BA1 Shannon-New York(fuel stop)

EI3201 Kerry-Dublin

Expect more to follow(will update in due course if i get the chance)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dacogawa wrote: »
    High tide in Dublin is at 1:20pm (4.32m) could be quite a surge around the bay, with those winds heading for Clontarf-Howth.

Fingal Co. Co. issued a text/email alert around 7pm warning of very high likelihood for flooding and not to park cars along the coasts. Sensible and very on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest pressure at midnight is 952 hPa. It's occluding now so it will start to turn more northward and slow down.

Here are the pressures over the past 24 hours, since it started off as a slack 1005-hPa low over New Foundland. It's dropped 53 hPa and traveled around 2200 km since then.

Time | hPa
    13-00Z | 952
    12-18Z | 969
    12-12Z | 988
    12-06Z | 997
    12-00Z | 1005

ukmo_nat_fax_2020011300_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/RobertMccreadie/status/1216520378992005121

Shamelessly stolen from the football forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Euro4 max wind gusts look ominous along some coasts
    euro4_uk1-52-36-0_opx1.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

And the latest ICON max gusts, signal Red level gusts in parts of west,North west.
    So the consensus is looking like widespread 90 to 110km gusts and exceeding this on some coastal counties.
    This could be hitting hard but fast. Hopefully not too much destruction in the most exposed locations.
    iconeu_uk1-52-30-0_rsh0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Eerily quiet in east Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Cathal is a fully qualified meteorologist. He has never got it wrong.
    And very likely can spell Met Éireann correctly in an official tweet (shout out to the literal types in the thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Satellite view of Brendan, that is quite a mass in the darkness moving towards the west coast, keep safe!

499864.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

From the models I think this storm has upgraded . Very strong and potentially damaging winds along the coasts especially the W, SW, S and SE and later NW. Coastal flooding/ erosion a big threat. This is some of the strongest winds to cross the country in quite a while and especially from the S. Power outages must be a big concern. Very dangerous driving / walking conditions tomorrow . Early charts and obs still important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Cathal is a fully qualified meteorologist. He has never got it wrong.

He does get it wrong and quite often but regularly blames it on the model out put and even manages to blame it on met eireann at times when it does.
    He is not a fully qualified metrologist he has qualifications in the field of meteorology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭squarecircles

first proper gust from Brendan,his presence is now obvious here on the west Mayo coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Some people need to start considering that an Orange Alert is as potentially dangerous as a Red alert.The major difference between the two is some sectors are obliged to, and under pressure to, start considering closing the enterprise for the duration of the alert and as such ME can't make that call easily. In that context I think nationwide Orange is correct and that Red is reserved for more major conditions where the forecast predicts even higher extremes than Brendan.

From reading this thread and other sources I know there is a storm approaching from the South West, it's a ways out but it's big one, I'm not cycling to work as usual but will get a bus if it's not too strong here on the East Coast, if it is I could work from home. I won't be hill-walking or strolling on piers that's for sure and the trampoline is now in the shed.

A tree or branch or a wall could fall on you and kill you in a Yellow alert if all the conditions are right, so nationwide Orange?, be careful out there people, we will be lucky if no-one is hurt or worse and damage is not too great.

Thanks to all the contributors on this thread with comments, images, very useful and keep up the good work Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Mace Head Gusting 76km/h at 2am - from Met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Can hear the first few gusts down the chimney here in limerick city. Eerily quiet before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Barometer falling rapidly. Storm 'Brendan' imminent, now expected further out NW, but rapidly deepening to an expected and astonishing 937 hPa
    Spanish, Dutch, French trawlers, etc., are running for shelter; most Irish boats are already berthed in port.
    Looks as if the worst will be at sea and on land we'll just get a few violent gusts. BUT spring tides and storm surge will pose a threat to coastal areas.
    I don't think Brendan will break any records (this is for the 'red brigade':D), but PLEASE be cautious, be safe. A formidable storm it is indeed.

Advertisement