Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭4Ad

Getting quite gusty here in East Clare..

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=oss;t=4;s=0;o=0;b=41.74;ts=0;y=52.4292;x=-4.0869;z=5;d=4;dl=6;dc=0;ts24=0

Look at the lighting off the coast. Every 10 second new a few new dots appear

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=oss;t=4;s=0;o=0;b=41.74;ts=0;y=52.4292;x=-4.0869;z=5;d=4;dl=6;dc=0;ts24=0

Look at the lighting off the coast. Every 10 second new a few new dots appear
    That's mental that you can track lightning strikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

The latest OPC chart puts 'Brendan' further NW, but even deeper by 1 hPa with centre of 936 hPa. This is some beast out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 icnsprtsjrsys

Any chance of a red warning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 icnsprtsjrsys

Any chance of a red warning?

For galway

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Any chance of sparks inland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭lucalux

Just starting up now here, winds gusting, south Roscommon/Galway border

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not sure why there is confusion?

There can never be a precise line for either warnings or winds. Gales do not stop at land especially our varied coastline.

If you live near the coast then the warnings need to be heeded and respected. If they said red on land there would be panic?

As they are working county by county.
    Confusing as hell, I live 1km from the coast

Indeed yes. Gales do not stop at a coastline, especially a windswept flat coastline.

And islanders observe marine warnings, period. The gales sweep over us ....

Ferries stop. We all hunker down like sensible folk. Respecting the reality with no romanticism.

Gales are bad news out here. Maybe read up on a few islands that gave up the battle .

Cannot believe that some folk think that the gale stops or eases on an island! They are a central part of island life.

I have only been stranded on the mainland once. Ahead of Brian when an unforecast squall hit. Parked at the pier with the car rocking to and fro.
    US2 wrote: »
    Genuine question

If someone living on an island should heed the marine warnings, then shouldn't everyone who lives on the coast ? Same thing, surely?

• Advertisement

"I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down.."

And the words of the Skye boat song running through my mind...

Had a few hours sleep but in the thick of it now. And it is only the start.

My home is a small " demountable dwelling" so a sealed contained unit ; the roof cannot detach. Which is as well. And I am in the shelter of ruined cowsheds that were built 150 years ago. Tends to a wind tunnel effect between them. It will quiver a little in bad gusts but safe

The cats are behaving oddly which is unusual. Unsettled. Two are out. And the wee feral who cannot be allowed in ( not neutered male) usually hides in bad weather but is crying at the door when I call the cats.

Hard to express but the weather plays a different role out here. No drama. A reality. It governs life and we accept that very fully and simply. When the storm passes, no recaps, just get on with life. A healthier and more deeply satisfying way than romanticising what has not been experienced. And a deeper appreciation of beauty and power in that it is fully respected and obeyed simply

A constant part of life.

It was the same in Orkney.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Already some big gusts here in Sligo and it's only just gone 5. This could be very nasty.

I think it could well be red by the time 7 comes.

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    Already some big gusts here in Sligo and it's only just gone 5. This could be very nasty.

I think it could well be red by the time 7 comes.

Stay safe.

Yip, house is shaking here in nth sligo, woke me up damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Starting to gust in Kilkenny. Strange and perhaps im going mad through sleep deprivation but it is like I can hear this build with a constant and increasing sustained tone in the distance to the south west. It's not a phenomenon I notice with previous storms.

Like ther sound of constant cars pushing on a busy road and getting louder. Contrast to the complete silence an hour ago

Gusts are now at the involuntary cringing stage! Getting very bad out here. Nothing I can do; dratted bed is a divan so cannot even hide under it..lol…

Time to light a candle in case the power goes.

There is one agitated cat on my bed. Most unusual and more concerning than the wind. He keeps telling me something but it is in Cat.

Hope all are safe; I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Graces7 wrote: »
    Gusts are now at the involuntary cringing stage! Getting very bad out here. Nothing I can do; dratted bed is a divan so cannot even hide under it..lol…

There is one agitated cat on my bed. Most unusual and more concerning than the wind. He keeps telling me something but it is in Cat.

Hope all are safe; I am!

Lol, brilliant Grace. Stay safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Graces7 wrote: »

Hope all are safe; I am!

Grace I just thought of an idea for you. A book! Collate all your musings from here during various weather events and call it something in relation to weather/climate change and island life. I love your writing style.

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Grace I just thought of an idea for you. A book! Collate all your musings from here during various weather events and call it something in relation to weather/climate change and island life. I love your writing style.

lol.. 4 books and 2 weblogs.. reminds me I need to update... Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Can someone give a chart or most recent forecast update, please? Am very uncertain as to whether it is safe to do the long drive to work, NW to midlands area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭monty_python

Fine blowy morning here on the coast of the beara peninsula. Not too bad at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Nothing to speak of in Galway .... is this another Met Eireann "hoax" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Gynoid wrote: »
    Can someone give a chart or most recent forecast update, please? Am very uncertain as to whether it is safe to do the long drive to work, NW to midlands area.

Windy.com handy app not sure how often updated tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Not a bit of wind or rain in east Galway.
    I’m looking at an outside cctv camera in work with a cobweb on it and not a stir out of it.
    It’s strange.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Galway city, people now commenting on the strong breeze, door next to office slamming heavily, ramping up mostly as forecast from what i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Very gusty, West Mayo but still at the normal levels for here for now, id imagine others would think otherwise.

Some intensity building now, with short sharp rattles followed by quieter periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wow

E313115-D-55-B3-48-DB-B220-78-BF8-AA13-A31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Wind picking up here noticeably in west Inishowen. When will met eireann give an update? Don't fancy heading out to work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bellmullet gusting 94 km/h in 0600 reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Wind picking up in Carlow now in the last half hour.
    (Mt Leinster)

Looking rough from around 11am until 3ish. Have a feeling Brendan could leave a mark like Darwin in 2014. We'll see. Stay safe all.

Surprised Kerry, Galway, Cork, Waterford and possibly Wexford, Mayo and Donegal aren't red as it looks like those severe winds are crossing land. Will keep an eye on the warnings as we have a crew working out today.

Take care out there Graces7. Thank you to all the regulars for the updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Big gust just woke me there in cork.

Advertisement