Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Rapidly escalating winds, west Mayo,

Creaking noises now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Folks, I can't read any of these maps cause of my crap eyesight, will this storm properly hit Louth meath and Dublin or will it be a more of a West coast thing?

Trying to justify to myself using a days leave if there's a chance public transport will be disrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes; folk tend to think it all happens NOW whereas it is a mobile, active, living changing force. Only beginning just now. Getting louder and more sustained all the time as the real gale approaches.

Tell your crew to stay safe. Please! I am all hunkered down out here. Only time the door will open is for cats … they are atypically restless.
    Wind picking up in Carlow now in the last half hour.
    (Mt Leinster)

Looking rough from around 11am until 3ish. Have a feeling Brendan could leave a mark like Darwin in 2014. We'll see. Stay safe all.

Surprised Kerry, Galway, Cork, Waterford and possibly Wexford, Mayo and Donegal aren't red as it looks like those severe winds are crossing land. Will keep an eye on the warnings as we have a crew working out today.

Take care out there Graces7. Thank you to all the regulars for the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What are the chances of flight disruptions in/out of Cork?

Groaning and screaming of the living dead!

Opps; gone very quiet. hmmmm
    Rapidly escalating winds, west Mayo,

Creaking noises now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust of 112kmh at Belmullet

FB253-E41-D1-A1-4-D46-93-B4-809-E423-B5644.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Wind starting to pick up in Kerry now, had been quiet up until the last 15 minutes

Up another notch, severe now, west Mayo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Gust of 112kmh at Belmullet

Where are you seeing that Pad?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that Pad?

FB253-E41-D1-A1-4-D46-93-B4-809-E423-B5644.jpg

Sorry should have posted image DOC :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 SaltyJohn

What are the chances of flight disruptions in/out of Cork?

The first few flights seem to have taken off. Disruption is most likely to happen, if it does, around midday or early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

The difference with this storm up here seems to be the sustained nature of the winds. Things got wild here about 5 minutes ago.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Latest Met Eireann forecast very definite.
    499878.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Yeah screw that, am taking the day off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

What planet are some people on? Text into Galway Bay fm, saying it is "extremely stormy in Loughrea"!. I'm in Galway city and it's a little windy.
    Interesting to see how this develops, don't see myself getting much work done today.

Watching the lightning activity closely as I now sit by a window in the office.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

What planet are some people on? Text into Galway Bay fm, saying it is "extremely stormy in Loughrea"!. I'm in Galway city and it's a little windy.
    Interesting to see how this develops, don't see myself getting much work done today.

Oranmore here, right by an inlet. Quiet as a mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Watching the lightning activity closely as I now sit by a window in the office.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#

Dont think people realise that they said for the west the high winds kick in from around 7, so around now. Just because the warning was 5am doesnt mean because it's ok now that it wont be in an hour.

It's a powerful storm make no mistake about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Harmonie model is not pleasant viewing. Max gusts .

anim_enu3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Dont think people realise that they said for the west the high winds kick in from around 7, so around now. Just because the warning was 5am doesnt mean because it's ok now that it wont be in an hour.

It's a powerful storm make no mistake about that.

I don't underestimate the potential of this storm but people can lose the run of themselves.

• Advertisement

anim_enu3.gif

120-130 kmh widely on all coasts, models called this one spot on last few days

Scary stuff brewing here, thought there were tractors passing outside, vicious howling that I don't normally here in a southerly flow

West mayo

I don't underestimate the potential of this storm but people can lose the run of themselves.

Oh yeah fully agree, and that's partially because of the media, doesn't help having your man from TV3 on twitter last night posting a map with red on it saying I expect this and that, its picked up by media but no red warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Am on a medium sized fishing trawler just off the NW Coast. Winds very heavy, seas high. We fisherman learn the way of these type of things, it’s just part of life. Hunkering down now. Plenty of food. Only strange thing is the rats are acting odd. Disconcerting

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Am on a medium sized fishing trawler just off the NW Coast. Winds very heavy, seas high. We fisherman learn the way of these type of things, it’s just part of life. Hunkering down now. Plenty of food. Only strange thing is the rats are acting odd. Disconcerting

Nah, I'd say yer in your ma's basement with your playstation

Winds really picking up here in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

anim_enu3.gif

The Shetlands look like they may cop gusts > 160kph later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Very blustery in West Limerick, picked up around 20 mins ago.

Same as islanders. Part of the way of life. Cats acting strange here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Another windy day in the way, much ado about nothing.
    Anyone else remember walking to school with a bag on their back in this kind of weather when young?
    They have kids destroyed nowadays with all this health and safety rubbish.

Advertisement