Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It already is a bit further south and closer than programmed
    Pressure a tad higher but that's academic

I have seen people saying this is the case. However, the forecast maps were saying that by 7am we would be seeing winds widely gusting >100kph across the west. Is that also underway?

Call me a sceptic, but I think a there is a huge undercurrent in this storm's discussion (Not poster above by the way) of people willing it to be worse as they feel they are being cheated of a duvet day.

Facebook is absolutely nuts. That lad from TV3 with the botox head on him, is whipping a crowd of mammy's into a frenzy who are as much as saying that Met Eireann should be done for pre-emptive manslaughter. I am not joking. The view is that Orange warning's are meaningless. Can people read? Read the forecast. Orange/red is all academic, but makes more sense if you have a sore head and want to ring the boss and say you are staying under the duvet.

Personally, I am glad we don't have Eoin Murphy and the rest of them holed up in Cape Canaveral, Kildare St, with the big computer screens behind them this morning. This is Ireland, winter storms are our bread and butter. We used to rely on our senses, and take appropriate action. Our actions cannot depend on whether we perceive an orange warning being meaningless or not. Red warnings are risky business given how they have now been linked to automatic shutdowns in the civil service. Met Eireann are 100% right here today, after the absolute and utter farce that was Storm Lorenzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

140km/h gusts in Wexford town? Young lad staying at home so.

What is that based upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

Currently constantly 80kph and rising in Louisburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

ECM 0Z much the same as previous runs in general along the coasts gusting 130 to 140 km/h but along the SE looks maybe a bit stronger than earlier forecast possibly up to 140 km/h. Inland also looks stronger on the latest run during the frontal passage gusting generally 110km/h and up to 120 km/h in places.

Would you mind posting a wind map of Donegal please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Looks like quite a serious weather event re Storm Brendan will impact us today. Evelyn Cusack from Met Eireann, not mincing her words on RTE's Morning Ireland radio programme, by suggesting "several hours of very dangerous weather" will impact the country throughout the day.

So far not too bad in Ennis so far as I type this post. That will change though.

Stay safe, high and dry is the message today that's for sure.

I look forward to updates from posters throughout the day here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Taking off from Stansted to cork soon will report back

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe a little less where there are no buildings to block it... But having said that it is just starting to scream as opposed to roar...shrill

Just hunker down and wait it out. We have seen nothing yet!
    Brendan is roaring, unbelievable noise here on the west Mayo coast.

Can't imagine what Grace experiences out at sea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON OOZ Very similar to the ECM

French models slightly less windy

EURO4 similar to ECM but stronger but can over do it slightly.

iconeu_uk1-52-26-0_udp9.png

anim_ymx5.gif

aromehd-52-30-0_oqe8.png

euro4_uk1-52-28-0_ogh9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Getting quite gusty in North Cork (Kanturk/Mallow) but nothing special yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Pangea wrote: »
    Would you mind posting a wind map of Donegal please.

7STP0OZ.png

L78kPOp.png

SbjjJyg.png

Z7unttO.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wind only starting this morning at high tide in Tramore this morning at 7am. I would have thought they would have closed off the prom.
    https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/1216632303192961024?s=20

https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/1216631953442725890?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

But how are the cars in Salthill?
    High tide been and gone in salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OH dear! The dwelling just shivered! It is really getting into gear now... Where is my knitting? And what can I find on youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

spookwoman wrote: »
    Wind only starting this morning at high tide in Tramore this morning at 7am. I would have thought they would have closed off the prom.
    https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/1216632303192961024?s=20

https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/1216631953442725890?s=20

wouldn't like be the next owner of those cars

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Anyone any idea what the weather will be like after 6.pm in South East. All weather warnings are up till 3pm. I need to know if I have to cancel football training tonight. We can only train on a Monday and I hate cancelling but also don't want to put any kids at risk.

Recent gust 77 km/h and 10 min avg 40 km/h here near Tralee

Bar 986.3 hPa Falling Rapidly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Reports of a fallen tree blocking a road in Skibbereen area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Another windy day in the way, much ado about nothing.
    Anyone else remember walking to school with a bag on their back in this kind of weather when young?
    They have kids destroyed nowadays with all this health and safety rubbish.

It hasn't started yet in Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Picking up in wicklow town. Had windows slightly open and theyve nearly been taken off the hinges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nothing in Galway yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,617 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

High ground outside Abbeyfeale. Windy enough. Consistent rain too that's not showing on the radar. Not too bad though, packing kids off to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's already pretty windy and wet here in Laois but I work in Dublin which means taking conditions across 3 counties into account.

Thinking I will just work from home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Fearganainm

Starting to blow here in South County Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

not over exaggerating it is violently windy in west mayo right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Another windy day in the way, much ado about nothing.
    Anyone else remember walking to school with a bag on their back in this kind of weather when young?
    They have kids destroyed nowadays with all this health and safety rubbish.

Rabble rabble rabble, back in my day blah blah blah.

It's better safe than sorry, I remember as a child almost being blown to christ knows where in donegal due to strong gusts, I was lucky my older brother got a hold of me. I'm sure there were plenty of injuries/deaths back then but just not as easily reported.

Add into all this the fact that these storms are more than likely more frequent and at times stronger then it warrants warnings.

A poster just asked if it'd be clear for football training tonight. What if there was no warning and they went out training with a team of kids and it was just a bit blowy but during the session strong gusts started?

Wise up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Highest gust in 0800 reports is Sherkin at 100 km/h.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Starting to pick up in Galway. Got to work no problem. First high tide passed with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Windy here west of Galway city but not too bad really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

not over exaggerating it is violently windy in west mayo right now.

That’s mad Cos it’s hardly blowing a breeze in south mayo !
    Stay safe

Advertisement