Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Just had message that little man's school is closing today in south tipp due to the time its due to hit, plus school is in countryside so very exposed, happy that decision has been made really as didn't fancy driving at 2 to collect him in the height of it and was considering a lazy day anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Very useful link below re buoy reports via met.ie

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/buoys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭pad199207

133KMH at Fastnet

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

pad199207 wrote: »
    133KMH at Fastnet

Just about to post that. Big jump in speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

When does Ryanair make its decisions re. cancel/delay?

With a take-off scheduled for 11 am in Seville, and landing due in Dublin at 12.55, I can't see that happening without some delays given predicted gusts. Yet, the staff here are saying 'on schedule'... Micky is probably waiting for DAA to call it for him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I have to drive from Galway to Dublin airport and back at about 11.30am returning about 5.30pm. Any trouble spots on that journey I should be aware of or is it mostly coastal areas where the trouble is expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

TomOnBoard wrote: »

With a take-off scheduled for 11 am in Seville, and landing due in Dublin at 12.55, I can't see that happening without some delays given predicted gusts. Yet, the staff here are saying 'on schedule'... Micky is probably waiting for DAA to call it for him...

No idea. You might have more luck posting this in the aviation forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

TomOnBoard wrote: »

They usually seem to head for Dublin and if it's too windy they divert to another airport, however, considering all of Ireland is affected today I'm not sure what the plan will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Endorsing that. The only reason the dwelling is not shaking is the direction. They built the house etc out here 150 years ago from north to south, rather than east/west. Historians call it " vernacular architecture" as the north end is square on and close to the ocean and minimal thus Wind today is from the south so the more sheltered end at the south is bearing the brunt.

They were wise folk.

not over exaggerating it is violently windy in west mayo right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Winds starting to pick up now in cork city, a gust every so often. Latest gust reading at cork airport at 8:30 says gusts up to 43kts atm or about 80km/h . Seems like it's picked up even more since then though

Edit: wow definitely picked up and that gust lasted about 10 seconds.

• Advertisement

I have to drive from Galway to Dublin airport and back at about 11.30am returning about 5.30pm. Any trouble spots on that journey I should be aware of or is it mostly coastal areas where the trouble is expected.

Its motorway all the way isn't it?

Unless youre driving a high sided vehicle and you adjust your speed appropriately I cant see what the problem might be.
    Look out for debris but you should be doing that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Another windy day in the way, much ado about nothing.
    Anyone else remember walking to school with a bag on their back in this kind of weather when young?
    They have kids destroyed nowadays with all this health and safety rubbish.

'So i can tell my neighbour it will be ok to send the kids to school,They only have to walk a Km there and back at 3 today . Lets ignore the warnings that are there until tonight so '.

The warnings are there for a reason ,,,it is blowing a gale at the moment one side of the house and nothing of interest the other side.I then walked up the road for a small bit and the wind was quite bad, came into a sheltered are with trees and it was ok.Then all of a sudden there came a really strong gust and two small branches broke off one of the trees. Nothing for a guy like me to get to alarmed about but for a child thats different.

So everyone the warnings are there for a reason but for gods sake use your brains.There is a storm coming and even if there is a red marine warning it just does not stop at the cliffs along our coast.Take care even if you are in the middle of Dublin ,or on a ark someplace ,on the way to work, lying back in bed watching the trees break around you,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Shtarting to rain in Dublin here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Just a normal morning in Dublin, nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

What is that based upon?

See Meteorites post from 07.57am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Near Kerry head and it's really picked up here in the last 20 minutes

Perfect day for a 5euro an hour surf on Banna. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Graces7 wrote: »
    OH dear! The dwelling just shivered! It is really getting into gear now... Where is my knitting? And what can I find on youtube?

Nightmare on Elm street,,,,, Can't be much scarier than where you are.
    Take care and look after yourself its going to be a long day.

Outside Sligo town Windy and very gusty at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I've to take the cat for a manicure at 10:47, what will the weather be like then? Half tempted to cancel but there's a fierce waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Just a normal morning in Dublin, nothing out of the ordinary.

Please enlighten us as to what alternate forecast of this morning's weather in Dublin you are inferring exists? At no point was it ever forecast that this morning would be anything other than ordinary until at least 11am in Dublin, and after that gales are only really expected to be severe in exposed locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

jayo2004 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what the weather will be like after 6.pm in South East. All weather warnings are up till 3pm. I need to know if I have to cancel football training tonight. We can only train on a Monday and I hate cancelling but also don't want to put any kids at risk.

It will still be very windy but eased
    Biggest issue will be trees down and debris or no power for floodlights

• Advertisement

If it stays as now no problem. I stopped being scared years ago; just very wary now. Still dark. Would like to emerge at some stage to see the ocean.

When I was new here, I opened the door in a gale and before I could let go of the handle, the wind grabbed the door with me attached and swung it violently open against the house, and threw me across the concrete drive. I came to a halt with my head a few inches from a stone wall, only injury a long scrape on my thigh.

Now the door is blocked off at the back and the old dog lead is looped round the handle and the grab rail. Just opens enough to let cats in and out.

We get what we deserve in storms! And we learn caution.
    mobil 222 wrote: »
    Nightmare on Elm street,,,,, Can't be much scarier than where you are.
    Take care and look after yourself its going to be a long day.

Outside Sligo town Windy and very gusty at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any chance of Red warning in Dublin?

When is the worst due to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Fairly wet here and wind starting to pickup now in West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Any chance of Red warning in Dublin?

When is the worst due to hit.

No chance, orange max, between 12 & 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Non event again in Galway city so far..
    These events are really turning into clickbait rubbish. Met Eireann can't win with this Yellow, Orange, Red alert system. It is beyond farcical at this stage..

As for the weather guy from TV3/Virgin Media with his Red alert Map of Ireland, anyone taking any sort of advice from that channel deserves the information they get..it's basically Fox news Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Updated pressure history.

Time | hPa

13-06Z | 948
    13-00Z | 952
    12-18Z | 969
    12-12Z | 988
    12-06Z | 997
    12-00Z | 1005

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Can people just report obvious trolling instead of everyone quoting the post please.

Honest to god. Every weather event and people bite to the obvious trolling every single time.

It is a pt but cats claws do have to be clipped and many owners take them to a vet or a groomer... . Indoor cats especially so they do not claw the furniture. My lot are outdoor and need their claws and they get worn down naturally but when I had indoor cats ?
    OP probably has no idea of all this! Joke;s on him!

Ludo wrote: »
    Well thats the wierdest thing I have ever seen posted here. I am gonna assume it is a piss take related to the usual flight disruption questions and not an actual real thing people do to cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Flight from Stanstead to Knock has failed to land and has diverted to Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Any more obvious trolling posts and responses to those posts/trolls will be deleted.

Advertisement