Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

Updated pressure history.

Time | hPa

13-06Z | 948
    13-00Z | 952
    12-18Z | 969
    12-12Z | 988
    12-06Z | 997
    12-00Z | 1005

Would you mind explaining what pressure means in terms of wind? Or direct me to the weather for dummies thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭covey09

Wind is coming from the South East at the moment (Louisburgh).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Graces7 wrote: »
    OH dear! The dwelling just shivered! It is really getting into gear now... Where is my knitting? And what can I find on youtube?

Stay safe Graces7... Wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

I hope upright Cow is hiding at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Maximum gust so far in Wexford Harbour 36.5Knts - close to 70KPH.

attachment.php?attachmentid=499888&stc=1&d=1578906532

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gusts increased to 46kts or 85km at cork airport now, sounds stronger! Gusts are lasting quite a while for each one. Steadily increasing. Coming from the south. Rain just starting too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Would you mind explaining what pressure means in terms of wind? Or direct me to the weather for dummies thread ;)

https://sciencing.com/pressure-affect-wind-23262.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still relatively calm up in north Donegal.

The odd gust but generally just a slight breeze overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

UsBus wrote: »
    Non event again in Galway city so far..
    These events are really turning into clickbait rubbish. Met Eireann can't win with this Yellow, Orange, Red alert system. It is beyond farcical at this stage..

As for the weather guy from TV3/Virgin Media with his Red alert Map of Ireland, anyone taking any sort of advice from that channel deserves the information they get..it's basically Fox news Ireland..

Open your window. Winds are hitting 60km, gusts of above 110km. Waves onto Salthill prom and roads. It's not yet scary stuff but there will be damage and care is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Any chance of Red warning in Dublin?

When is the worst due to hit.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cattle are all safe inside since winter started, cosseted with hay.. I am fine and safe and well used to all this. Love living out here and chose it and no regrets.

Thank you!

Kamili wrote: »
    Stay safe Graces7... Wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

I hope upright Cow is hiding at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Thoughts on driving from South Tipp to Limerick City this morning? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gusting to 68kmh in Arklow atm south southwest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Gust of 93km/h reported in Mace Head at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Alan O Reilly from Carlow Weather on Today FM now and emphasising the NO RED WARNING ON LAND and called out the fake news on social media.
    They did say to take care as an orange warning is dangerous.
    At least they are being very clear and concise with their facts. No ambiguity.
    A good few who suddenly popped in here could have done with listening to it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

As I expected this was hyped up far beyond what it needs to be. Its a bit wet and a bit windy. I was absolutely fine coming to work this morning. Two lazy employees decided to take "the safe option" and stay at home. One of them is on their 2nd official warning. Seriously considering letting them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

MichealD wrote: »
    Maximum gust so far in Wexford Harbour 36.5Knts - close to 70KPH.

attachment.php?attachmentid=499888&stc=1&d=1578906532

Could you send me the link for that site Michael? I thought I had it bookmarked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's some power cranking up now out there, im in East Clare today and for some unknown reason looking at the trees they're being pushed, rather than being blown if you get my drift.
    The power seems to be up higher, hitting the sail of the trees while at ground level its less windy.

I suppose its like having a big swell in the ocean but calmer under the water.

Reminds me of the wind in February 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

flazio wrote: »
    Flight from Stanstead to Knock has failed to land and has diverted to Dublin

While Liverpool to Knock arrived at the same time and landed OK. One pilot with bigger balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Lightening creeping closer to shore:
    https://www.lightningmaps.org/

Wild on the south coast, gusts impressive! Kicked off about 5am but building now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9am
    Roaches point gusting 57 knots(106km/h)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Two lazy employees decided to take "the safe option" and stay at home. One of them is on their 2nd official warning. Seriously considering letting them go.
    Scaffolder? Yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Scaffolder? Yeah!

No. I run a building supply store, so they would have been inside and dry. Pure laziness. I'm getting annoyed now thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Getting quite loud in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

As I expected this was hyped up far beyond what it needs to be. Its a bit wet and a bit windy. I was absolutely fine coming to work this morning. Two lazy employees decided to take "the safe option" and stay at home. One of them is on their 2nd official warning. Seriously considering letting them go.

Good luck with that in the WRC with a national orange alert, look I'm an employer too and not much can be done about it today if some employees decide to stay at home, bar the loss of pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Updated pressure history.

Time | hPa

13-06Z | 948
    13-00Z | 952
    12-18Z | 969
    12-12Z | 988
    12-06Z | 997
    12-00Z | 1005

981 currently Galway dropping very rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

You should let them go. To many people jumping on the weather warning bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

shanmo wrote: »
    Thoughts on driving from South Tipp to Limerick City this morning? Thanks.

Read the facts on met.ie, check aa roadwatch for disruption on your route then make your decision.

These questions are pointless really.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    While Liverpool to Knock arrived at the same time and landed OK. One pilot with bigger balls?

A bit of luck involved I think too.

If they get the wrong gusts as they approach theyll be forced to go around.

And they'll usually give it only two attempts before diverting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Are they the same type of aircraft I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

No. I run a building supply store, so they would have been inside and dry. Pure laziness. I'm getting annoyed now thinking about it.

shouldn't you be at work then and not on boards.ie

Advertisement