Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

We're on route from Galway to Dublin airport in a work taxi van. The driver had been saying there is no issue at all this morning. We got into the motorway ten mins ago and he goes 'holy f**k!!!'.

Not gonna lie,this is Rocky as hell. We are swaying and being pushed all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2350~ without power now across the country. (Source:ESB Powercheck)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Could you send me the link for that site Michael? I thought I had it bookmarked.

https://wexfordharbour.info/index.html Great resource.

High tide just passed so i'm imagine risk of any flooding has abated. Next tide is 21:02

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

seriously violent west mayo.

debris flying all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Laurali wrote: »
    We're on route from Galway to Dublin airport in a work taxi van. The driver had been saying there is no issue at all this morning. We got into the motorway ten mins ago and he goes 'holy f**k!!!'.

Not gonna lie,this is Rocky as hell. We are swaying and being pushed all over the place

Sounds like the M6 in the summer time that :P..Hope your flight is ok when you get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Colour me stooopid..

Didn't sound so bad so opened the door; fine. Emerged carefully to find the gale was so fierce it almost took me off my feet. Brute force. Never felt it like that even up in Orkney.

Terrifying power and I did not get to see the ocean as there was no way to risk that..

Take care out there folk. This is seriously malevolent .

west mayo offshore maelstrom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Graces7 wrote: »
    Colour me stooopid..

Didn't sound so bad so opened the door; fine. Emerged carefully to find the gale was so fierce it almost took me off my feet. Brute force. Never felt it like that even up in Orkney.

Terrifying power and I did not get to see the ocean as there was no way to risk that..

Keep safe Grace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Laurali wrote: »

This first 10 miles of the Galway-Dublin motorway is notoriously windy at the best of times. It suffers bad cross winds. It will be fine once you get further inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Picking up on Dublin CC last couple of minutes on Pembroke Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1216650291908616192?s=19

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1216650370023350272?s=19

Lashing rain in the city now too and reports of multiple power outages in the county already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Colour me stooopid..

You are getting boring now.

seriously violent west mayo.

debris flying all over the plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Pressure 982 mBar as of 9am according to NUIG weather station..

http://weather.nuigalway.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1216650291908616192?s=19

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1216650370023350272?s=19

Lashing rain in the city now too and reports of multiple power outages in the county already.

Yes the lights have flickered here a few times already. Expecting to lose supply in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

still pretty calm in Sligo at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

easypazz wrote: »
    You are getting boring now.

Grace is definitely one of the more interesting posters, lay off her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Reports of a tree falling on a bonnet of someone here in work near Killarney. She was in the car but not hurt.

Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Fastnet lighthouse reports:

09:20 - Avg Wind 60kts, Gust: 73kts.

Relatively calm in Dublin city. 996.hPa - falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

South Laois. First of the gale force gusts arriving before 9.30am in 22mph sustained 10min SSW winds. Temperatures around 8c.

My anemometer was stuck on North for the last week, but decided to return to normal yesterday - which is great to cover this storm.

www.laoisweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

As I expected this was hyped up far beyond what it needs to be. Its a bit wet and a bit windy. I was absolutely fine coming to work this morning. Two lazy employees decided to take "the safe option" and stay at home. One of them is on their 2nd official warning. Seriously considering letting them go.

As you expected? You should have expected it alright, as of course, nothing was predicted for Dublin until later this afternoon. Good luck with the firings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Intermittent violent gusts currently in Castlebar, very stormy and wet in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Reports of a tree falling on a bonnet of someone here in work near Killarney. She was in the car but not hurt.

Stay safe

And people complaining about employees taking the day off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some eejit made the call to close St Aidan's NS in Enniscorthy. The biggest school in the town is closing at 12.30.
    Daft.

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    still pretty calm in Sligo at the min.

North Sligo here and it’s pretty gusty. Ocean fm reporting tree down in south Sligo too.

Wind warning in effect till 8pm, isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

strandhill surfcam .. pretty windy in Sligo!

https://www.strandhillsurfschool.com/surf_forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steviewinger

Lashing rain and very windy west Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 39 medi_bai

Speak Now wrote: »
    Grace is definitely one of the more interesting posters, lay off her.

Yea gois, shes really interesting! She lives on an island and all you know.

Medibai
    County Laos, porcelain throne, bare ars3d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Cattle are all safe inside since winter started, cosseted with hay.. I am fine and safe and well used to all this. Love living out here and chose it and no regrets.

Thank you!

Keep the updates coming, I love reading them. I hope you're safe inside too.

Just had a heavy shower pass through in South Dublin, wind is picking up in gusts but slows down again.

red alert conditions west mayo

savage winds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

First big gusts in Kildare now.

Advertisement