Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Just saw a cow fly past the window in Laois.

Edit: It was just the wife

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Def not calm in Sligo. Nothing outrageous yet but v windy and heavy rain now too

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

North Sligo here and it’s pretty gusty. Ocean fm reporting tree down in south Sligo too.

Wind warning in effect till 8pm, isn’t it?

in the town it seems fairly quiet not much wind as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Petty bad in North Kerry at the moment.Seems worse than the red alert that was issued for Kerry only on Dec 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

just saw a small birds flung against gable wall

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The Salthill prom road wasn't closed this morning afterall. Maybe they opened it after the 7am high tide passed. Well done Galway CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just lost power here in my area of South Kerry. I'm supposed to be working from home !! Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    While Liverpool to Knock arrived at the same time and landed OK. One pilot with bigger balls?

My husband is on the Ryanair Luton to Knock flight due to take off in 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just saw a cow fly past the window in Laois.

Edit: It was just the wife

:D

It has definitely picked up here in the last 10 minutes or so after a relative lull for the past hour.

Happy with my decision to stay put (and lucky to be able to work from pretty much anywhere anyway), but anyone dealing with the M7 today should take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

just saw a small birds flung against gable wall

Poor little thing, Sounds bad over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Getting quite loud in Galway.

Yup. It's also coming at us south/southeast which is against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I needed to go north and the southerly gale pushed me in the back like a human hand. Door slammed. Thankfully a real lock not yale ... Shaking... what speed are these winds now?

The worst gale up in Orkney ; the gusts were up to 127 MILEs per hour and although had to cling to washing poles when I was feeding my stock it was not like this. The skin felt flayed off your face.

And getting worse all the time. Sheeting rain. Almost dark as night

Part of islander life is to stay safe and not be a liability.. STOOPID!
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Colour me stooopid..

Didn't sound so bad so opened the door; fine. Emerged carefully to find the gale was so fierce it almost took me off my feet. Brute force. Never felt it like that even up in Orkney.

Terrifying power and I did not get to see the ocean as there was no way to risk that..

Take care out there folk. This is seriously malevolent .

west mayo offshore maelstrom

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Some eejit made the call to close St Aidan's NS in Enniscorthy. The biggest school in the town is closing at 12.30.
    Daft.

As it means my wife will only have one collection to make instead of two while pushing a double buggy in an orange weather warning situation to collect four children I commend the eejit. Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

medi_bai wrote: »
    Yea gois, shes really interesting! She lives on an island and all you know.

Medibai
    County Laos, porcelain throne, bare ars3d

Why are people such dicks on the internet!

The little birds are out this morning looking for food. I didn't think I'd see them today so I made sure they were stuffed yesterday.

Winds starting to pick up in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

In East Mayo and very strong winds with belting rain in the last hour or so
    flazio wrote: »
    Flight from Stanstead to Knock has failed to land and has diverted to Dublin

Saw a plane flying very low around here at that time which is unusual, so that explains it!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

We've made it to athlone on journey from Galway to Dublin,I'm surprised at how Gusty it is still..

The driver said it's worse now in athlone than it was when we left Galway so it is clearly picking up big style.car is rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Here we go. Sevill to Dublin. Arr 13.00. Doors closed.. Roller Coaster ahead. .

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

MichealD wrote: »
    As it means my wife will only have one collection to make instead of two while pushing a double buggy in an orange weather warning situation to collect four children I commend the eejit. Good call.

That will be the height of the storm in that area. Would have made much more sense to keep them in a bit later until the worst had passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Plenty of rain now and fairly strong wind in Galway west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sustained 117KPH, Gusting 148KPH at Fastnet now

Serious winds that far from the core of Brendan, even if it is out to sea and elevated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The Bay tree which is in full leaf in the back is getting some battering while the bare tree in the front is doing some twisting. Both planted pretty deep so hopefully wont come down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Laurali wrote: »
    We've made it to athlone on journey from Galway to Dublin,I'm surprised at how Gusty it is still..

The driver said it's worse now in athlone than it was when we left Galway so it is clearly picking up big style.car is rocking.

I hope you make it safely.. sounds like a ferry crossing rather than a car journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1216650370023350272

For those not in the know .. that road along that "beach" is a main road around the Cobh Island from / to cobh. i imagine thats why there are as many cars, along with a few rubber necks too I imagine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Kamili wrote: »
    I hope you make it safely.. sounds like a ferry crossing rather than a car journey!

I think we'll be fine but there are artics on the road literally in trouble. We can see them having no control and rocking bad. It's sad the drivers are out seemingly with no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Laurali wrote: »
    I think we'll be fine but there are artics on the road literally in trouble. We can see them having no control and rocking bad. It's sad the drivers are out seemingly with no choice.

This in last while in Cork:
    https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1216658261094674432

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Squall line on the west off Kerry
    bUFRtRz.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Oh dear. Micheal Martin is twisting the knife into Leo on the Sean O'Rourke show.

About the storm?! :D

Advertisement