Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG absolutely chucking it down now in Cork City! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Getting wild now on the Kikdare/ Laois border lights are starting to flicker already. Driving rain and strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rain battering the windows. It's like being in a car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The rain in Limerick City is absolutely biblical. Heaviest I've seen in a long time..

Safe to say worst has now gone past Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pyjamaninja27

And not one would show some brains and get out and throw it over the fence. Gotta wait for someone else to do it.

Yeah, stand in the middle of a motorway during a storm and try just "picking up" a large trampoline. I can see that going well.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Amazing sustained winds measured out to sea earlier this morning, up around 70+ knots on the southwestern flank of the low in the 04:40 scan. Further east, touching 65 knots along the frontal zone in the 03:02 scan.

499898.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FBWT

Rain coming down in sheets right now in Cork! Looking out the window watching loads of tourists wrestling with umbrellas and running for cover...the locals seem to have stayed indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Flash of lightning just now in Fermoy..

Heaviest rain I've seen in years just hit..

I expect squall line is overhead!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Safe to say worst has now gone past Limerick?

The orange alert is until 3pm, the worst of storms usually pass a couple of hours or so before that, so I'd say its pretty much done now for Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Yeah, stand in the middle of a motorway during a storm and try just "picking up" a large trampoline. I can see that going well.....

It's not breezy at all in the video. Those trampolines are easy to handle.

That's the way the world has gone, men afraid to get out and help others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

And not one would show some brains and get out and throw it over the fence. Gotta wait for someone else to do it.

Erm, no! It would be dangerous as a gust of wind would drag the trampoline and the person trying to shift it and do damage to them. Unless they had a stanley knifer and cut the material out of the frame. Otherwise a very dangerous task to undertake.

A neighbour of mine broke his ankle in four places in the last windy day the week before Christmas moving a door in the wind. A gust just twisted him around. Sore dose and he's in a cast for three months as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Storm stated gusting here this morning around 7.00 with some extremly strong gusts and near constant roaring up to now.

Pressure low but has started falling again and noise of wind is like a train coming

Bands of extremly heavy rain - but the stuff in between is being driven by the wind in sheets which would blind you

Even the ducks are staying in ...

North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Looks like the worst has passed inniscarra in cork. Eerily calm now after a violent hail shower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

What about second core of strong winds later, I'm concerned about the electricity pole hanging down and the sheet iron thats been ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Wind suddenly seems to have stopped in Cork City, still lashing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Go on down and move it so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The weather has now cleared to the east here in Galway city. Almost calm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It is frustrating how many conflicting reports come from small areas. Both very windy and barely a breeze in parts of Kildare.

Midday observations will be interesting. Only Sherkin and Roches point (duh. Edit: Roches red to clarify) have reached orange of the ME group. I imagine more will come on board orange going by reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

harr wrote: »
    Getting wild now on the Kikdare/ Laois border lights are starting to flicker already. Driving rain and strong gusts.

Power is still grand here a little further into Laois but crazy winds and rain battering the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Considering it's Limerick I'm surprised it hasn't been claimed yet.

Gusts starting to pick up now in Dublin, Grand Canal Dock area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Power gone here in Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Ìncredible wind and rain in Tipperary, much worse than any of the recent storms, worst since ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Wind suddenly seems to have stopped in Cork City, still lashing though.

It’s gone mental here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Blue skies and sunshine here now in South Kerry! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The winds have died down in Galway after that awful rain squall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Quite calm in Westport now after a howling couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Am on a medium sized fishing trawler just off the NW Coast. Winds very heavy, seas high. We fisherman learn the way of these type of things, it’s just part of life. Hunkering down now. Plenty of food. Only strange thing is the rats are acting odd. Disconcerting

I love your style of writing btw. Ever think about writing a book? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gusting 82kmh Arklow atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Very calm now near Kanturk. Started around 5 am here, the winds woke me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Danno wrote: »
    Erm, no! It would be dangerous as a gust of wind would drag the trampoline and the person trying to shift it and do damage to them. Unless they had a stanley knifer and cut the material out of the frame. Otherwise a very dangerous task to undertake.

A neighbour of mine broke his ankle in four places in the last windy day the week before Christmas moving a door in the wind. A gust just twisted him around. Sore dose and he's in a cast for three months as a result.

And what do you think the person removing the trampoline (probably removed by now) is going to do?

Advertisement