Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Am I right in saying this storm is looking like an epic fail?

Staying well off the coast with just the usual isolated headlands and tips of peninsulas getting a bit of a breeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

A Red Marine warning will be issued in the next hour or so by Met Éireann for violent storm force 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

easypazz wrote: »

Staying well off the coast with just the usual isolated headlands and tips of peninsulas getting a bit of a breeze?

And here we go.

Where on earth have you read anything to that effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

RED MARINE WARNING ISSUED

Status Red - Gale Warning

(1) Southerly gales or strong gales will develop overnight on Irish Coastal waters from Roches Point to Slyne Head to Malin Head.

(2) Strong gale force to storm force southerly winds will develop tomorrow morning on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish sea, reaching violent storm force at times in the west.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And here we go.

Where on earth have you read anything to that effect?

On the last page of this thread. At least 3 posts suggesting it has shifted away and we will be dodging a bullet etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Yes Met.ie has issued a red warning now for marine. I think the impact of this system will be felt, particularly here in Galway during the Monday morning commute to and from work and school. Some trees seem to be falling quite easily this year so I would advise caution to all. Salthill promenade is likely to be closed also which will cause further traffic disruption to the rest of the City. Time now for people to plan ahead.
    The system seems to be staying off the West Coast but some high winds from its wide wind field will impact on coastal regions in my opinion, particularly as it's a daytime event.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It isn't quite/just that but that we live among it and do not see extreme weather as some kind of .. almost entertainment? Not meaning our wonderful forecasters here, but those who grumble when it is not as bad as they had hoped. The "damp squib" brigade.

Here when a storm hits we all stay safe inside. It does disrupt but we are ready for that. And relief when/'if it is less than they thought it might be.

" Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. " As opposed to....

Indeed, just had a quick read through this thread and already it's set up for the usual petulant 'overhyped/damp squib' arguments on Tuesday.

No leaves on trees at the moment and the west coast is well used to 120kph winds, will cause some localised disruption I'm sure but it's just off-putting how much hype a wet and windy day can gather now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

On the last page of this thread. At least 3 posts suggesting it has shifted away and we will be dodging a bullet etc.

I'm a weather extremist, I like the worst possible conditions, 130kmh gusts are serious and cause damage, the more violent winds are staying out to sea. The storm has not downgraded, just not as strong as I would like to experience personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think the post talking about dodging a bullet meant we'd be in very serious bother if it was hitting us head on. As it stands it still looks like a potentially damaging storm for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

So basically if I don't take my yacht out tommorow it's another non event?

• Advertisement

Dear God; this is new territory for me! Just seen the ferryman heading for the pier so clearly he is taking precautions. Lived here all his life.

All will be well...

As a matter of interest, how will this compare with wind forces in Callum last year? That was the worst out here by far. Please God not worse than that!
    pad199207 wrote: »
    RED MARINE WARNING ISSUED

Status Red - Gale Warning

(1) Southerly gales or strong gales will develop overnight on Irish Coastal waters from Roches Point to Slyne Head to Malin Head.

(2) Strong gale force to storm force southerly winds will develop tomorrow morning on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish sea, reaching violent storm force at times in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Most of the country will see gales or severe gale gusts which is definitely NOT just a bit of a breeze
    Unfortunately this as a public forum will contain posts from Eejits,so avoid those
    Your question is valid though and the only way to get what's rubbish and what's not clarified
    Exposed coastal strips in the west and Northwest closest to the storm are likely to have a day long gale to severe gale(9) at times
    Its normal enough to have a few episodes of this per winter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yes another day of working from home on Monday!! Yeaa for storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

It looks like we will miss the worst of this storm. Another lost opportunity. I want to experience a massive storm. Massive damage. Massive disruption. And don't anyone here tell me that deep down that's not what they want also. I want another Oiche na Gaoithe Mor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

It looks like we will miss the worst of this storm. Another lost opportunity. I want to experience a massive storm. Massive damage. Massive disruption. And don't anyone here tell me that deep down that's not what they want also. I want another Oiche na Gaoithe Mor.

No sane person would want that your just taking the rise I'm guessing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Get a life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You know that probably means people dying, right? Why don't you move to Florida if you have such a morbid curiosity?

I am telling you exactly that. Deep down I would be more than happy if it downgraded. More than happy.

Wishing damage and disruption?

So would any sane responsible person.

As we were told as small children when we started the " I WANT " song, " I WANT DOES NOT GET!"

The last time I remember decent storms was 2014 I think. Lahinch got bashed several times, parts of Limerick city got severely flooded, and thousands of trees down.

Its been more than 5 years since we've had any storm event that has delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

A update to the Meteorologist’s Commentary on the Met Eireann website will be available shortly.

And from speaking with Evelyn Cusack this is what she had to say.

"It certainly is high Orange overland and dipping into Red in coastal areas"

• Advertisement

This is the worst./most severe forecast since I came out here unless I am badly mistaken? This is my third island winter. We missed Ophelia of course. Was Ophelia red?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Most of the country will see gales or severe gale gusts which is definitely NOT just a bit of a breeze
    Unfortunately this as a public forum will contain posts from Eejits,so avoid those
    Your question is valid though and the only way to get what's rubbish and what's not clarified
    Exposed coastal strips in the west and Northwest closest to the storm are likely to have a day long gale to severe gale(9) at times
    Its normal enough to have a few episodes of this per winter[/QUOTE]

Graces7 wrote: »
    Dear God; this is new territory for me! Just seen the ferryman heading for the pier so clearly he is taking precautions. Lived here all his life.

All will be well...

As a matter of interest, how will this compare with wind forces in Callum last year? That was the worst out here by far. Please God not worse than that!

Violent storm force off the west coast is nothing hugely significant for those parts. Definitely a no go for marine craft.

This is the worst./most severe forecast since I came out here unless I am badly mistaken? This is my third island winter. We missed Ophelia of course. Was Ophelia red?

Its an orange warning, have you never been here for an orange warning before?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Its normal enough to have a few episodes of this per winter[/QUOTE]

Ophelia was certainly a Red. The forecasts and warnings also had different wording to highlight how severe she was going to be and rightly so.

Red where I am .

No red warnings on met.ie that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

No red warnings on met.ie that I can see.

There’s a marine red and Grace lives on an island. Could you and a few others stop trolling this thread before the storm has even fully formed.

I am telling you exactly that. Deep down I would be more than happy if it downgraded. More than happy.

Wishing damage and disruption?

So would any sane responsible person.

As we were told as small children when we started the " I WANT " song, " I WANT DOES NOT GET!"

In fairness, if the storm was bringing heavy snow instead of rain, this forum would be full of posters saying 'bring in on' and talking about white gold etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Red warnings on Facebook. Off the usual pages. .

Carol25 wrote: »
    There’s a marine red and Grace lives on an island. Could you and a few others stop trolling this thread before the storm has even fully formed.

We all live on an island FFS.

Unless you are actually going to be out on the sea then the marine warning is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

So learning from past storm alerts if a storm is hyped up red warnings everywhere...this means it wont be bad...very little warnings= bad storm coming...too much warnings= bit breezy...I see how it works now;)

Advertisement