Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks; sokay; I just add to my "ignore " list. lolBest feature on boards ie.. Only read posts from the folk we trust.
    Carol25 wrote: »
    There’s a marine red and Grace lives on an island. Could you and a few others stop trolling this thread before the storm has even fully formed.

Not concerned re rain but the gales are a different matter.
    In fairness, if the storm was bringing heavy snow instead of rain, this forum would be full of posters saying 'bring in on' and talking about white gold etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Acosta

Graces7 wrote: »
    Dear God; this is new territory for me! Just seen the ferryman heading for the pier so clearly he is taking precautions. Lived here all his life.

All will be well...

Take good care of yourself.

Better put the kayak in the kitchen. I really need a shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Midnight soundings from the New Foundland area showed max jet winds of 180 knots at around 180 hPa (e.g. Stephenville). It should strengthen further to near 220 knots offshore this morning, but no soundings will pick it up. Very strong dynamics, which could yield a stingjet tomorrow, though well offshore of Ireland.

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

2020011200.200oa.naconf.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

It looks like we will miss the worst of this storm. Another lost opportunity. I want to experience a massive storm. Massive damage. Massive disruption. And don't anyone here tell me that deep down that's not what they want also. I want another Oiche na Gaoithe Mor.

Don’t feed the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    No sane person would want that your just taking the rise I'm guessing :)

Has major history on Weather fora. Best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hope the storm surge doesn't cause too much damage Monday night especially Galway and Limerick.

Galway

xOmJggy.png

My tide app has the Galway tides a little higher:

06.43 5.4 metres
    19.14 5.2 metres

Both almost a metre higher than the last storm. Wind direction & timing will be critical.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    With the driving standard of many in Galway I'm not sure a large sign would do anything really!

Salthill needs a flood warning siren, load enough to be heard inside buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Getting out ahead of it in Galway this time!

#StormBrendan update Sunday 12.30pm:

🚨 Salthill public car parks closing at 2pm today.

🚨 Seapoint Promenade to Grattan closing at 7pm.

⚠️ Status Orange Wind Warning including Galway from early Monday morning.
    Galway City Council's Severe Weather Assessment Team has convened in anticipation of Storm Brendan which will impact Galway from Monday morning.
    The combination of high spring tides, a storm surge & the strong winds which could gust up to 130 km/h will lead to over-topping and potential flooding along shorelines.
    City Council crews are reinforcing the flood barrier at Fishmarket and the Spanish Arch.
    The Promenade in Salthill will close from 7pm between Seapoint and Grattan Road and the carparks at Toft Park and along the Prom will close from 2pm today (Sunday)
    The Severe Weather Assessment Team will continue to monitor the situation and will put further measures in place as necessary on Sunday and throughout Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I presume met are going to add additional counties to Orange warnings? They currently don't make much sense - Limerick is under Orange, yet Laois is Yellow, but I can't find any part of Limerick showing higher mean wind speeds (at peak) than Portlaoise for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭endainoz

Proper order too, plenty of warning ahead of time for this one now.

It would be useful if the knowledgeable here could post the times & wind direction for peak gusts & keep it updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fantastic to see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Discodog wrote: »
    It would be useful if the knowledgeable here could post the times & wind direction for peak gusts & keep it updated.

Here's the GFS hourly meteogram for Mace Head for the next 36 hours. The circle shows the mean speed, and the black dot is the direction.

They're available here

499798.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭endainoz

Looks like it's more of a southerly wind again this time, at least for me in North Clare. Southerly winds can be that bit more damaging, add to that some very wet ground from recent rain and I can see some trees falling in a few places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

That's the right way to do it. Target the specific areas that are always likely to see damage.

The same warning applies to Salthill and Portumna, although they will be worlds apart in terms of potential damage tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Red Weather Warnings possible as Storm Brendan approaches Ireland forecaster warns

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/508050/red-weather-warnings-possible-as-storm-brendan-approaches-ireland-forecaster-warns.html

im not sure of the legitmacy of this site but it states that

A forecaster has warned that Red Weather Warnings are likely to be issued by Met Eireann later today as Storm Brendan pushes towards Ireland.
    with Mayo and Donegal most at risk of being issued red warnings.

its probably conjecture/misinterpreted information or confusion regarding the RED ALERT MARINE WARNING.

endainoz wrote: »
    Looks like it's more of a southerly wind again this time, at least for me in North Clare. Southerly winds can be that bit more damaging, add to that some very wet ground from recent rain and I can see some trees falling in a few places.

A Southerly / South Westerly at either high tide would be bad news for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Red Weather Warnings possible as Storm Brendan approaches Ireland forecaster warns

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/508050/red-weather-warnings-possible-as-storm-brendan-approaches-ireland-forecaster-warns.html

im not sure of the legitmacy of this site but it states that

A forecaster has warned that Red Weather Warnings are likely to be issued by Met Eireann later today as Storm Brendan pushes towards Ireland.
    with Mayo and Donegal most at risk of being issued red warnings.

its probably conjecture/misinterpreted information or confusion regarding the RED ALERT MARINE WARNING.

Total conjecture at this point, but the Connaught Telegraph is running with it as well.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/01/12/4184322-red-status-warning-lookin/

South out here too; for some reason my fire here is hard to light in a south wind and it has been thus most of the week

Southerly wind again this time, at least for me in North Clare. Southerly winds can be that bit more damaging, add to that some very wet ground from recent rain and I can see some trees falling in a few places.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Red warnings on Facebook. Off the usual pages. .

Should put the people who post that in a boat and send them out into the Atlantic. Let's see them update their status then.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭jirafa

Marine Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Gale Warning

(1) Southerly gales or strong gales will develop overnight on Irish Coastal waters from Roches Point to Slyne Head to Malin Head.

(2) Strong gale force to storm force southerly winds will develop tomorrow morning on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish sea, reaching violent storm force at times in the west.
    Issued:
    Sunday 12 January 2020 11:00

Link ................ http://archive.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp?t=Marine

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A quick question for the more knowledgeable here.
    Is it the jet that causes it or pressure over Europe that sees the majority of big storms get to a certain point and veer off North easterly between Iceland and the Scandinavian countries?
    We see so many headed for Ireland and they take a sudden turn,the North West of Ireland feels some of the impact but generally the country escapes well enough.
    Imagine if these kept making direct hits,the place would be in a heap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

jirafa wrote: »
    Marine Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Gale Warning

(1) Southerly gales or strong gales will develop overnight on Irish Coastal waters from Roches Point to Slyne Head to Malin Head.

(2) Strong gale force to storm force southerly winds will develop tomorrow morning on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish sea, reaching violent storm force at times in the west.
    Issued:
    Sunday 12 January 2020 11:00

Link ................ http://archive.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp?t=Marine

Old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is this the first storm with an irish name ? can't seem to recall any other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

fryup wrote: »

loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

fryup wrote: »

Conor, Deirdre and Hannah are 3 recent ones that come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I relish the prospect that someday a storm will hit that will rival or exceed the big one of 1839. Many on here do too but unlike me, are afraid to admit it. Anyway, from what I can gather is that this will be a strong but not notable event on the west coast with a normal windy day inland. The centre is just to far west to really cause trouble for us. Its a wasted opportunity. I love storms. Will never apologise for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They have never been taken away and are useless already one end is burst and the water drained out it's the most silly barrier I have ever seen either way if the tide is up it will come from the docks and flood into the area

Advertisement