Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I think that's normal. Exciting and scary. Seeing the elements show us what they can do. Doesn't mean enjoyment of others being harmed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

During the afternoon a second core of extremely strong winds will affect parts of the west and northwest. Gusts are likely to exceed 130 km/h during the afternoon in exposed areas and along the coasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I relish the prospect that someday a storm will hit that will rival or exceed the big one of 1839. Many on here do too but unlike me, are afraid to admit it. Anyway, from what I can gather is that this will be a strong but not notable event on the west coast with a normal windy day inland. The centre is just to far west to really cause trouble for us. Its a wasted opportunity. I love storms. Will never apologise for that.

It will be no more than a blustery day for most.

The timing of the spring tides may cause coastal damage though.

easypazz wrote: »
    It will be no more than a blustery day for most.

The timing of the spring tides may cause coastal damage though.

The strongest winds will be initially along the west coast early on Monday morning before they spread countrywide during the morning affecting eastern counties around midday into the early afternoon. Disruption to travel and localised structural damage is possible as these winds affect the country.

• Advertisement

During the afternoon a second core of extremely strong winds will affect parts of the west and northwest. Gusts are likely to exceed 130 km/h during the afternoon in exposed areas and along the coasts.

Interesting that met eireann are saying that winds may fit their criteria for a red warning but they haven't declared a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Is anyone else finding that the animation won't play ?

The strongest winds will be initially along the west coast early on Monday morning before they spread countrywide during the morning affecting eastern counties around midday into the early afternoon. Disruption to travel and localised structural damage is possible as these winds affect the country.

That still translates to a blustery day for most.

No,it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

Brendan not the only one around here full of bluster:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Discodog wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding that the animation won't play ?

I think they're just static images

Troll Warning issued as of Sunday the 12 january at 14;00 hrs

moderate at first,rising slowly.

severe later.

Possibly violent for a time tommorow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

No,it doesnt.

Half the country is under yellow warning which is blustery. Its tracking way to far west to having any meaningful gusts away from western coastal counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The Met Eireann website currently advises a Yellow Wind warning for Munster on 13/01/2019.

And

A status Orange wind warning for Clare, Cork, Limerick, Kerry, Waterford.

Is this the norm?

Would the Orange warning not just make the yellow redundant for the same counties? :confused:

US2 wrote: »
    Half the country is under yellow warning which is blustery. Its tracking way to far west to having any meaningful gusts away from western coastal counties.

no,i think your wrong.

No,it doesnt.

most of the population is covered by a yellow warning, which is a blustery day.

Constantly writing in bold text and bigger letters won't change that.

most of the population is covered by a yellow warning, which is a blustery day.

Constantly writing in bold text and bigger letters won't change that.

it might.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Can we have a technical thread please........please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Would not be surprised to see violent winds anywhere even away from the center with a storm this bad

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Would not be surprised to see violent winds anywhere even away from the center with a storm this bad

yes the windfield is very large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It really is the calm before the storm...Light winds and sunny in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

5Af9s6z.jpg

Xenji wrote: »

Please. It's getting bad when you have to plead to the Gods :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Doolins going to get hammered and Lahinch will be bracing itself.
    The new automatic barriers along the promenade will hopefully stop the boulders from smashing into the carpark.
    It'll be interesting there tomorrow evening after 6, 19ft swell at 16 seconds.

It won't be as bad as the last carnage but quit big all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Xenji wrote: »
    Please. It's getting bad when you have to plead to the Gods :)

Why don't either of ye start one?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I relish the prospect that someday a storm will hit that will rival or exceed the big one of 1839. Many on here do too but unlike me, are afraid to admit it. Anyway, from what I can gather is that this will be a strong but not notable event on the west coast with a normal windy day inland. The centre is just to far west to really cause trouble for us. Its a wasted opportunity. I love storms. Will never apologise for that.

nthclare wrote: »
    Doolins going to get hammered and Lahinch will be bracing itself.
    The new automatic barriers along the promenade will hopefully stop the boulders from smashing into the carpark.
    It'll be interesting there tomorrow evening after 6, 19ft swell at 16 seconds.

It won't be as bad as the last carnage but quit big all the same

Coastal damage due to big swells and spring tides is the risk with this one.

? Identical posts an hour apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

?

They turn up with their shtick every so often. Best to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah no; then we would have to send rescue folk out for them; maybe send them ou tto assist the rescue workers....

Gale forecasts always remind me of Orkney; of one 3 day storm with gusts of over 127 MILES per hour. I had livestock and had to feed them and it felt as if the skin was literally being flayed off your face. The noise was appalling,

Should put the people who post that in a boat and send them out into the Atlantic. Let's see them update their status then.;)

Advertisement