Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintenance Case - Removing Solicitor/Doing it myself

• 10-01-2020 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have a maintenance case coming up in March. Basically, I asked a solicitor to do the case. Just a random solicitor I heard was quite good. However, we have only communicated briefly by email, and I don't think she really gets the full picture and doesn't seem to want to meet up in person to go over all elements of the case, some of which are a little complex. I did represent myself before in the District Court in Family Law. I am thinking now of doing the same for the Maintenance Case. Happy to pay the solicitor what I owe her which is currently 675 including VAT. I just feel that I would be better able to explain the situation in person, rather than a solicitor who has probably several other cases on that day. How do I go about removing solicitor form the case - she applied for the maintenance - but it seems she applied for maintenance order rather than variation, as there is already an order in place, but it is not being adhered to by my ex. So if anyone can go about advising how I remove solicitor from the case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I'd reconsider representing myself if it was my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 susieball

Why do you think I should reconsider? Would it not be better to have the person who knows the case inside out represent themselves, than a solicitor who had ten other cases not he same morning? Do you think the judge would look badly on someone representing themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If she's already on record with the court as your solicitor in the proceedings, she'll have to come off record, and this is most easily and conveniently done by her, not by you. So you need to contact her, tell her that you no longer wish her to represent you in the proceedings, and ask her to come off record. She may try to persuade you to reconsider but , if you're clear that you have decided to represent yourself, she won't obstruct you - she won't want to remain on record in proceedings where she isn't being instructed and won't be further paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

it sounds like you have had a bad experience but do consider getting a different solicitor as opposed to acting for yourself, Particularly if the case is somewhat complex and if you ex-partner has a solicitor (i don't know if this is the case or not)

It can also be the quickest way to sort these things out to engage a new solicitor and they will get the file off the old one, its quite common in family law

Advertisement