Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classify Current Affairs/IMHO under the "politics" topic as opposed to "Social &

Options
  • 11-01-2020 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a sub-furm of AH which is why it's currently categorised into the "social & fun" topic, but IIRC it's possible to have sub-forums in different topics, as was the case when Politice Café was a sub-forum of AH but was listed under the "Politics" topic?

It makes more sense for current affairs to be categorised as such, and would be a handy shortcut for those switching between the Politics and CA forums to be able to click into the politics "topic" to find the other forum when making a switch.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's not a sub-forum of AH. There is simply a link to it in AH

It was deliberately set up in the Rec section because of the repeated failures of similar forums in the Politics category. It is not just for Politics either - it has a much wider remit and is subject to very different rules

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'll tell you something, the current affairs forum could deservedly be referred to as a roaring success.

Look at the numbers viewing it - shortly after 3pm on a Friday.

IMG-20200117-151200.jpg

Yeah, I know it's the beginning of an election campaign, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'll tell you something, the current affairs forum could deservedly be referred to as a roaring success.

IMG-20200117-151200.jpg

But you still wouldn’t classify the place as “fun”. It’s a nasty, spiteful, place where the dregs of boards.ie are allowed free reign to spout whatever bigoted, and disgusting, things they please.

All for the benefit of forums such as “After Hours”, I might add, and that’s a good thing.

Unfortunately, of late, threads in AH aren’t being moved fast enough so you get a fair few denizens of “Current Affairs” hanging around and scumming up the place.

Hopefully, that’ll change though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

McMurphy wrote: »

IMG-20200117-151200.jpg

That’s due to the Gangland thread, more of an anomaly that anything else. Same as when Gerry Ryan died and Boards was the first to break the news.

Screenshots of the thread are being shared on Twitter.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Definitely the gangland thread but also traffic is picking up due to the election

Whenever I've looked the numbers viewing are typically a bit lower than AH. I've just done a search for the 3 months to 31 December (therefore ignoring the election and recent gangland events) and it's the second most popular forum in terms of posts behind AH, but ahead of Soccer. It was getting about 2/3rds the posts AH was getting

Since the turn of the year AH and CA are neck and neck in terms of posts (and that's ignoring the probably hundreds we've deleted from the gangland thread!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It certainly needs decoupling from the AH, it's effectively a spill over for bigots, morons, bar room philosophers and the like. If it wasn't an easy click away the quality of contributions would improve even if it is at the expense of page views. Oh wait....

i dunno does it ever strike people but theres probably a heap of users on their phones that rarely if ever give much thought to being in different fora at all

its all just threads, sorted by "most recent"

its why i think moderation by fiefdom doesn't really hold up as a concept tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    That’s due to the Gangland thread, more of an anomaly that anything else. Same as when Gerry Ryan died and Boards was the first to break the news.

Screenshots of the thread are being shared on Twitter.

Sheeeeeeet..... Never even thought about the Gangland fcukerty that's going on.

I dipped into that thread to have a read the other evening, and very quickly dipped back out again. Eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not much fun to be had there to be honest. Absolutely the pits of Boards.

Arghus wrote: »
    Not much fun to be had there to be honest. Absolutely the pits of Boards.

Currently nearly 4 times as many viewing the forum as are viewing AH - the vast majority are rubber-neckers. Unfortunately people are going to be attracted to all the stuff in that gangland thread in particular. What I would say though is while we have a certain type of poster spending time over there the rest of a site is probably a nicer place to be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I like the link via AH. I think that’s been a huge factor in the forum’s success.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Beasty wrote: »
    Currently nearly 4 times as many viewing the forum as are viewing AH - the vast majority are rubber-neckers. Unfortunately people are going to be attracted to all the stuff in that gangland thread in particular. What I would say though is while we have a certain type of poster spending time over there the rest of a site is probably a nicer place to be

Shouldn't really be providing a platform IMHO.

On the topic at hand it seems to be working well. Current affairs seems a very popular forum as things are set up. Before everything went in to AH which was debasing the fun aspect of that forum.

Advertisement