Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alarm for dog

• 11-01-2020 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations on something to do about a runaway dog. He keeps running away with the neighbours dog, was 2km away today

We had a border alarm before but it never worked properly for another dog, im thinking is there a distance alarm that if goes a certain distance from base we can get, or any other products that could be recommended, cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fences? I mean fence the garden or part of it so the dog cannot get out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Not possible, we’re in the country down a road which cant be blocked off, fence would be easiest but cant be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Would you not keep him in the house OP? It’s not safe for him to be outside and able to run away like that, anything could happen to him, he could be hit by a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Electric fences are available: spotoncollar.com

Dog Trackers: shop/whistle.com

Would you not keep him in the house OP? It’s not safe for him to be outside and able to run away like that, anything could happen to him, he could be hit by a car.

It might be the only option at this point, other dogs we've had were afraid of cars and steered well clear but this dog goes straight after any car he sees, us going 5kmh around the house isn't dangerous but since he's going away it will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Why can you fence off a section of the garden for him as a run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I would defo keep him in the house or build a run for him . The thing is you dont know where he is or what hes doing when he run's off.

I would worry that he would stray on some farmer's land and you know what happen's next.

Then he is a danger to road users. Seriously dangerous.

It might be the only option at this point, other dogs we've had were afraid of cars and steered well clear but this dog goes straight after any car he sees, us going 5kmh around the house isn't dangerous but since he's going away it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fence would be easiest but cant be done
    Why not? A decent enclosure will have chicken wire underground to stop the dog digging out, and a chicken wire roof to stop him from jumping out. Have a steel cage walls.

Maybe the OP does not realise the serious implications of her dog running loose on roads etc? To other people as well as to the dog.

Google please "control and ownership of dogs" ; excellent summary on the Citizens Information site ( cannot post links)

Please read this and contain the dog safely? Thank you

And yes a decent enclosure..
    the_syco wrote: »
    Why not? A decent enclosure will have chicken wire underground to stop the dog digging out, and a chicken wire roof to stop him from jumping out. Have a steel cage walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I'm kinda struggling to imagine any scenario where a fence couldn't be built. Living in the country then you have to have some open space surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Electric fence/shock collars are cruel and dont work anyway. When I worked at a shelter we got plenty of straying dogs come in with them on.

People who let their dogs roam shouldnt be allowed own a dog, end of. Build a dog run, all this "can't be done" is nonsense. You don't need to do the entire property.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Looking for recommendations on something to do about a runaway dog. He keeps running away with the neighbours dog, was 2km away today

We had a border alarm before but it never worked properly for another dog, im thinking is there a distance alarm that if goes a certain distance from base we can get, or any other products that could be recommended, cheers folks

You will be liable for your dog if it is not kept under control and if it causes an accident. If you are in the country there is a big risk to your dog being shot if it enters a field with livestock not to mention costs if livestock are injured. You need to build a fence that will stop the dog escaping for your dogs safety . If you can’t do this it be in the dogs best interest to be rehomed to someone who can contain the dog safely.

It is the law and simply common sense and courtesy to other people to ensure your dog is not running loose.

Whenever I moved rental with my two dogs, in rural farming areas, I made sure that the landlord knew my dogs would always be under control and contained, and that HIS fences were stockproof so no animals could get onto the rental site.

the_syco wrote: »

A fence stopping him getting on the road wouldnt be possible, but an enclosure to keep him around the house and in a garden would be, we’re looking at a simple sheep fence now

I know the danger of him getting on the road, its a busy road with lots of lorrys so the danger of it isnt lost on me both to the dog and the road users because iv came across lots of dogs myself

It’s ‘only’ happened 3 times now where he has got away so he’s not a proper runaway like i called him before, you might say its 3 times too many on the other hand mind

A fence stopping him getting on the road wouldnt be possible, but an enclosure to keep him around the house and in a garden would be, we’re looking at a simple sheep fence now

I know the danger of him getting on the road, its a busy road with lots of lorrys so the danger of it isnt lost on me both to the dog and the road users because iv came across lots of dogs myself

It’s ‘only’ happened 3 times now where he has got away so he’s not a proper runaway like i called him before, you might say its 3 times too many on the other hand mind

Once is one time too many. When you live in the country, it’s more important than ever to ensure that tour dog, or any animal for that matter, are under control. If you cannot secure the property, then get the dog rehomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why don't you just keep him in the house so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Sheep wire will not stop a determined dog. They'll clear it or go through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What sort of dog is it?

The fence will need to go one foot down, and then one foot in so the dog can't dig it's way out. It'll need to be at least 6 foot above ground, and also two foot at an angle coming in on top of that. This is to stop the dog from running at the fence, and scaling it.

Cheep fence is not strong, and is only for dumb animals. The dog will chew through it. Thus, get chicken wire.

I don’t find it at all unusual for a dog to be free like the ops, in fact it’s the norm in my area. Of the 15 houses on my road I’d say 8 or 9 have dogs free to roam (some with multiple), 3 are farmers themselves also. Another 2 use electric perimeter fences and I never see the dogs out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Another 2 use electric perimeter fences and I never see the dogs out.

The electric fences can work very well but people just don't understand how they work, they think they can stick the collar on the dog and the dog will learn, it just doesn't work like that. It takes minimum of 4 weeks training, everyday out with the dog on the lead for 30+minutes, teaching the dog to turn when they hear the beep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I presume your dog is neutered? This will stop the urgency of him getting out.
    Depending on the dog, you can get a dog enclosure, similar to this.
    https://www.inthemarket.ie/product-category/pet-supplies/dog-runs/
    I'm in the country and it's important to keep your dog under control. You have more space to put a fence up or buy an enclosure that will be an investment.
    Other than that, re-home your dog or keep him inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I don’t find it at all unusual for a dog to be free like the ops, in fact it’s the norm in my area.

That doesn't mean it isnt idiotic. It just means you live around a lot of irresponsible morons. Country people have the worst notions when it comes to animal care in my experience.

Worst story I ever had, a fella turned up to the shelter with a large dead dog in the back of his truck. He had just bought his son a car for a graduation present. They also had a dog they let roam. You can see where I'm going with this...

By rights we should have told him to feck off and take it to a vet or somewhere that disposes of animals, it wasnt really our job. But we felt bad for the guy when we heard the story. They had the dog since he was a pup.

My sympathy faded quickly however, as he sped off the second me and another employee got the dog unloaded out the truck, in the pissin rain, I guess because he didn't want to fill out the paperwork required for us to take in any animal, or give the suggested donation we had told him about over the phone before agreeing to let him drop the corpse off.

It's not just cars, there are cruel people out there too. My very first day on the job a cat came in with an arrow sticking out of its side. If you let your pet roam you are basically saying you don't care what happens to it.

And the most maddening part is, those types, if something happens to their pet, are the ones who will just go out and get a new one straight away as if they are replacing an old kettle or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your being a poor owner.
    Living on the country leaving the dog so it can roam free, if it’s found on farmland there is a good chance this dog will end up being shot because of your poor ownership.
    Be responsible, erect a proper boundary or train the dog to an electric collar.

Yes, many of us know this from dangerous experience. It is also against the law.
    That it happens does not make it right or anything but downright ...rural Ireland!.
    I don’t find it at all unusual for a dog to be free like the ops, in fact it’s the norm in my area. Of the 15 houses on my road I’d say 8 or 9 have dogs free to roam (some with multiple), 3 are farmers themselves also. Another 2 use electric perimeter fences and I never see the dogs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It also causes problems for someone like me, who adopted a rescue dog that’s nervous of some other dogs. She is always kept on a short lead and by my side... but an off lead, uncontrolled dog is dangerous to me, her, and the dog itself. I had a bad experience that ended in a nasty fall for me after an off lead dog jumped on her as we tried to avoid it. It could have ended much worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I've got that exact same situation.

The tillage farmer who's dog roams has been warned multiple times that it's been spotted near sheep and that it'll end in tears one day.

The lab with an electric fence runs through regularly and I've had to haul him back over it, his collar in one hand ticking at me, and him squealing and trying to run as he doesn't understand that I've taken the collar off and he can go back without being shocked.

I've had so many incidents with dogs running out onto the road defending their gardens that I rarely walk the roads with my own dogs anymore, and would rather drive to somewhere quiet to walk them.

I know you don't agree so won't get into back and forth, just wanted to point out that even when we live in the country, most of us are not okay with other people's dogs roaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

A properly fenced or walled area would be my preferred option, but Jebb Tools do a range of dog runs and if your dog isn't a digger they should have one to suit.

You can even buy extra panels to make the run larger and/or a roof if your dog is a jumper. Just make sure that the dog has shelter from sun and rain and has water available for the limited time he's outside alone.

Don't put your kennel too close to a wall panel or the dog could jump from the roof of the kennel and escape. The staff are very helpful so you could ask them for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This is why most dog rescue charities need to inspect a property before rehoming a dog.
    A secure area for the dog is frequently overlooked but of course is essential.
    It's so much easier to setup a secure boundary before the dog arrives as they tend to not try to escape if it's difficult to do so.
    However if you have let it become a habit that they escape they will do their best to get around new barriers you put in place.
    You may have made the job more difficult with the approach you have taken OP but there is always a solution.

• Advertisement

Choc Chip wrote: »

I know you don't agree so won't get into back and forth, just wanted to point out that even when we live in the country, most of us are not okay with other people's dogs roaming.

I actually don't agree with having does left to roam, its a nuisance for cars and people walking etc. I've no issue with dogs living outside which is maybe the confusion but they should be restrained in someway, be it fenced in, kept in a shed or use of a perimeter collar (I know people claim they don't work but I've never seen the dogs roaming in the houses that use them.

My post was more of an observation on the fact that its the common way of keeping dogs in rural areas so not a big surprise. Its 3 sheep farmers that leave their dogs to roam also on my road so its not confined to any type of person in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

what kind of dog is s/he OP? Is it a herding type dog or a high energy one like a springer or a little fluffy yoke? It’d be interesting to know the breed and get an idea of their tracking ability and energy level.

I havn’t used one of them ( no occasion to) and dont know if they have evolved since I last saw them in petshops but there are gps for dogs thatyou can link to your googlemaps in uour smartphone.Not sure how good they are ir if you can set an alert if they go past X location on your farm/property -but that might help understand where andhow often s/he is heading off adventuring and might help in understanding how and why and maybe resolving the issue or removing the trigger/escape route!

Do you take a walk with your dog? Maybe if uiu had a walk routine to tire it out it might not self entertain as much -thou as you said 3 times off the property is not too bad.

Are you a farmer yourself? Is your dog a working outdoorsey dog ? If you are out do you whistle for him occasionally sos/he keeps within range if you rather than entirely doing their own thing? Or are you indoors working and the dog off doing its own thing.

Be interesting to know in terms of habitualisation and routines and training.

A lot of people keep dogs in the country for security and there are gangs scouring lanes snd watching houses for opportunities to rob and terrorise.

Advertisement