Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I like Brent pope but I feel like I know more about his mental health issues than his own doctors at this stage - same stuff every time from him

I blame the show producers and BOC more than Brent himself - that show always takes the lazy option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I like Brent Pope too but I'm sure i heard him talk about all this very recently, could have been on D'Arcy show. The circle is very small when it comes to rte interviews. For all that, if it was a choice between listening to Brent Pope or Dr Eva Orsmond every week, it's Brent all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I like Brent pope but I feel like I know more about his mental health issues than his own doctors at this stage - same stuff every time from him

I blame the show producers and BOC more than Brent himself - that show always takes the lazy option
    could they not have got Bressie ? , he's never on .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I thought there for a while he was going to come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I like Brent Pope too but I'm sure i heard him talk about all this very recently, could have been on D'Arcy show. The circle is very small when it comes to rte interviews. For all that, if it was a choice between listening to Brent Pope or Dr Eva Orsmond every week, it's Brent all the way.

Think Ivan Yates was to have him on during the week. Didn’t actually get to hear the “segment” but remember him mentioning ‘everyone’s favourite kiwi’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Eoin the pedaller of the bleeding obvious on now tryin to make us feel guilty about the takeaway coffee... €3000 per year on takeaway coffee, up the yard with ya Amackin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Eoin the pedaller of the bleeding obvious on now tryin to make us feel guilty about the takeaway coffee... €3000 per year on takeaway coffee, up the yard with ya Amackin

I thought he was saying you could spend around 30 a week on coffee which equals about 1500 a year and some PAYE taxpayers might have to earn c. 3000 gross wages to cover that outlay.
    Whatever about the arithmetic-people might be surprised to realise they pay a fair whack just for coffee when they might be putting some of this expenditure to childcare or saving for a mortgage etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Unfortunately "the bleeding obvious" is an unknown concept to many people when it comes to their finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I thought there for a while he was going to come out

Why did you think that?

Why did you think that?

I haven't time to go over it now but from memory at the start of the conversation when he was explaining how when he left NZ he said was running away from who he was and couldn't accept who he was I thought maybe the conversation was heading that way. Looks like I was wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

COVID was bad, and the lockdown was bad but Christ that interview with Brent Pope really took it out of me. I've always liked Brent Pope both on the TV doing the rugby and on the TV in general, but I found him very moany and self indulgent this morning. And when he said "A lot of people don't understand how hard it is to live so far away from your family" - Has the man any clue about the Irish experience at all? The difference being that he himself CHOSE to move to Ireland as opposed to a lot of the most recent generations of Irish who had no choice but to move away from their families.

Having said that, I don't like to see anybody in a bad situation and I hope things turn out better for him.

I haven't time to go over it now but from memory at the start of the conversation when he was explaining how when he left NZ he said was running away from who he was and couldn't accept who he was I thought maybe the conversation was heading that way. Looks like I was wrong

I thought he was on the verge of coming out at that stage, too. It was his phrasing, something like nobody really understood, people didn’t talk about it: clearly, he wasn’t talking about coming out, but that was how I started to take it

The interview was very “heartfelt”. I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The pool of interviewees/commentators/panellists across the meeja is as dire as it is tiny - Brent Pope is the current favourite but along with assorted hacks, Mary O'Rourke, Terry Prone, Tony O'Brien (the failed HSE lad) etc. it has become an echo chamber of politically correct Ireland.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The pool of interviewees/commentators/panellists across the meeja is as dire as it is tiny - Brent Pope is the current favourite but along with assorted hacks, Mary O'Rourke, Terry Prone, Tony O'Brien (the failed HSE lad) etc. it has become an echo chamber of politically correct Ireland.

Mary O'Rourke and Terry Prone haven't been 'PC' since it was called 'womens lib' — and even then, they were probably quite iffy about the entire thing. Just the other day,I heard Mary O Rourke on the radio denying that sexism is a problem in electoral politics.

Wouldn't put Brent Pope in that category either. He's involved with mental health charities and has a gay brother — is that 'PC' now?

Might be interesting to ask Luke O'Neill for clarification on his position on face masks seeing as how they have been now made mandatory.

"if you're not infected, no reason to wear a face mask".

Might be interesting to ask Luke O'Neill for clarification on his position on face masks seeing as how they have been now made mandatory.

In fairness to him, all of our “experts” let us down in the early days. Even the WHO were saying the wrong things.

I remember seeing Jack Lambert on The Tonight Show, with Cooper and Yates, saying that the cancelling of the Ireland v Italy rugby match was “premature”.

We were all made to look like mugs by following their lead while all the nutjobs on Facebook, anti-vaxxers, SF voters, anti 5Gers and Gemmaroids were calling it right. Well, closer to “right” than our experts.

O’Neill has been following the “guidelines” as they come out. I think there was a resistance against face masks, early on, due to a fear that the medics wouldn’t be able to access any which led to the “party line” being they weren’t needed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

This was in February, it seems. I think Luke O' Neill's position shifted as the research around the benefits of masks strengthened. He's been pretty consistent in recent months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hazel Chu's campaign for election to the next Dàil continues unabated in the MSM. They have decided she should get in and we will be stuck with her on shows like this and in fluff colour pieces in the papers for the next 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Cole wrote: »
    This was in February, it seems. I think Luke O' Neill's position shifted as the research around the benefits of masks strengthened. He's been pretty consistent in recent months.

He has, he's on Pat Kenny's show once a week and has been quite clear about this for months. He changed his mind, as more evidence as to their efficacy emerged. He's now a strong proponent.
    That's allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

He has, he's on Pat Kenny's show once a week and has been quite clear about this for months. He changed his mind, as more evidence as to their efficacy emerged. He's now a strong proponent.
    That's allowed.

Agree

I enjoy his enthusiastic contributions on the Pat Kenny Show as he gives updates on the latest vaccine developments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I think the point is that Brendan didn't ask or discuss Masks which are increasingly becoming mandatory across the world.

Brendan didn't question Hazel Chu when she said that Hong Kong has covid 19 under control which is complete contrast to Carrie Lam saying that the virus is out of control .

I open to correction but the first time Brendan questioned anything was the poll findings that 68% polled with MM sacking Cowan.

Then Brendan went on to ask Hazel Chu a few tough questions on the Green parties internal politics.

If Brendans role is to be moderator then his political views should not be so obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I switch off when I hear Michael O'Regan. The epitome of a lickspittle 'journalist' too cosy with politicians to bother writing or saying anything of note. How you can make a career out of that, I don't know.
    He's supposed to be retired, yet he still gets invited to contribute his inane, insider anecdotes about what great 'craic' Brian Cowen was, or how most politicians are so decent and hard working. He has a lot in common with Smarty McBallsy in that sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Infoanon wrote: »
    I think the point is that Brendan didn't ask or discuss Masks which are increasingly becoming mandatory across the world.

Brendan didn't question Hazel Chu when she said that Hong Kong has covid 19 under control which is complete contrast to Carrie Lam saying that the virus is out of control .

I open to correction but the first time Brendan questioned anything was the poll findings that 68% polled with MM sacking Cowan.

Then Brendan went on to ask Hazel Chu a few tough questions on the Green parties internal politics.

If Brendans role is to be moderator then his political views should not be so obvious

The auld Vincent Browne tactics, bring in three or four lefties, and a poor ‘grunt’ from a Govt party.Start off with a bit of harmless joshing and gentle ribbing with the lefties.

Then turn to the ‘govt grunt’ and like a rabid dog try to tear the poor fookher apart trying to get the lefty dogs involved too.

That was Brownes modus operandi

No surprise he is shilling the Alphabets on Twitter regularly.

The auld Vincent Browne tactics, bring in three or four lefties, and a poor ‘grunt’ from a Govt party.Start off with a bit of harmless joshing and gentle ribbing with the lefties.

Then turn to the ‘govt grunt’ and like a rabid dog try to tear the poor fookher apart trying to get the lefty dogs involved too.

That was Brownes modus operandi

No surprise he is shilling the Alphabets on Twitter regularly.
    That's a bit hard Brendan. Accepted that Vincent Browne liked to hunt in a pack, but there was only one lefty on the panel today, Hazel Chu.

Jonny Fallon is a card-carrying member of Fianna Fáil, or used to be. And Luke O'Neill seems neutral, in the sense that he doesn't seem to care what happens outside of the laboratory sciences (I don't mean that dismissively, it's nice to see a bit of focus in someone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That's a bit hard Brendan. Accepted that Vincent Browne liked to hunt in a pack, but there was only one lefty on the panel today, Hazel Chu.

Jonny Fallon is a card-carrying member of Fianna Fáil, or used to be. And Luke O'Neill seems neutral, in the sense that he doesn't seem to care what happens outside of the laboratory sciences (I don't mean that dismissively, it's nice to see a bit of focus in someone).

You are correct Ty, I quoted the wrong post, should have been yosserhughes post.

I apolologise for that, it had nothing to do with the post quoted.

It kind of referred to the cosy little arrangement Browne and Sean Ardagh had on their 2200 politics radio show on RTÉ 1.

The reference to Ml. O’Regan and cosy relationships, brought it to mind.

Ballsy doesn’t do that in fairness, but I’m getting a bit concerned with the frequency of Lise Hand being involved in Rte political and current progs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I switch off when I hear Michael O'Regan. The epitome of a lickspittle 'journalist' too cosy with politicians to bother writing or saying anything of note. How you can make a career out of that, I don't know.
    He's supposed to be retired, yet he still gets invited to contribute his inane, insider anecdotes about what great 'craic' Brian Cowen was, or how most politicians are so decent and hard working. He has a lot in common with Smarty McBallsy in that sense

o reagan is a bellwether for establishment think

an insufferable windbag who thinks throwing in thee odd kerry football joke or con houlihan anecdote is the height of wit no matter how many times he,s told it

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

You are correct Ty, I quoted the wrong post, should have been yosserhughes post.

I apolologise for that, it had nothing to do with the post quoted.

It kind of referred to the cosy little arrangement Browne and Sean Ardagh had on their 2200 politics radio show on RTÉ 1.

The reference to Ml. O’Regan and cosy relationships, brought it to mind.

Ballsy doesn’t do that in fairness, but I’m getting a bit concerned with the frequency of Lise Hand being involved in Rte political and current progs

O'Regan likes to play the "professional kerryman" card and is under the illusion that anybody gives a fcuck about the goings on down there.

He is the epitome of what Dunphy described as a "decent skin" or a "good scout" as they say in Rugby Football circles.

On hand to churn out a piece to help spin a particular point of view...but never arsks the hard questions.

Lise Hand professional contrarian....from the Indo stable....no gravitas at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

O'Regan likes to play the "professional kerryman" card and is under the illusion that anybody gives a fcuck about the goings on down there.

He is the epitome of what Dunphy described as a "decent skin" or a "good scout" as they say in Rugby Football circles.

On hand to churn out a piece to help spin a particular point of view...but never arsks the hard questions.

Lise Hand professional contrarian....from the Indo stable....no gravitas at all.

Both social climbers albeit in the case of O'Regan unwittingly so. They know what side their bread is buttered and never stray from it.

So you're saying that research has taken place since February on masks, and the conclusions of that research differs from the previous hundreds of years of research on masks which Luke O'Neill had been basing his February advice?

Should he not at least be asked the question as to why he has now changed his advice or are we just prepared to believe anything the man says because he is jovial?

• Advertisement

So you're saying that research has taken place since February on masks, and the conclusions of that research differs from the previous hundreds of years of research on masks which Luke O'Neill had been basing his February advice?
    There was significant new advice from the WHO in on 5 June, in response to studies that had been published in the previous weeks, yes.

https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/advice-on-the-use-of-masks-in-the-community-during-home-care-and-in-healthcare-settings-in-the-context-of-the-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)-outbreak

Its true that the WHO was criticised for not issuing that advice earlier based on 'common sense' — but that only emphasises the need for masks, it doesn't detract from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Please, please can anyone tell me which of the medical experts told us before things kicked off properly that "we might see a case " in Ireland? I know that it was one of the regulars from the Irish pool but it's so far back now that I can't find it and haven't the time to go back searching for the quote - I tried briefly. :confused:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Please, please can anyone tell me which of the medical experts told us before things kicked off properly that "we might see a case " in Ireland? I know that it was one of the regulars from the Irish pool but it's so far back now that I can't find it and haven't the time to go back searching for the quote - I tried briefly. :confused:

Joe Duffy?? He’s an expert in everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Joe Duffy?? He’s an expert in everything

"Even if it does come, it won't kill us".

His exact words.

Should he not at least be asked the question as to why he has now changed his advice or are we just prepared to believe anything the man says because he is jovial?

There was a big fear that if the “plebs” started buying up face masks, early on, the medics wouldn’t be able to source any.

Then we heard that the “average Joe” was too dumb to use a mask correctly and would be at a higher risk of infection due to their inability to wear a mask correctly.

The guy has followed the “guidelines”, and studies, as they’ve come out. He’s following the “experts”, just like everyone else but he has a better understanding of things. You could ask why he didn’t question the “guidelines” but I don’t believe he is advising anyone in a personal capacity.

I’d still take what he’s saying over Weird Seamus, or Odd Auntie Sinead, on Facebook, any day.

I like John Boyne...calling out the vacuous online virtue signalling/SJW (excuse the cliches) bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

John boyne speaking well here in defence of freedom of speech and thought

Eoghan Corry...another 'expert' that the entitled can quote to justify flying off for a holiday.

Eoin Corry dismissing as unlikely a risk of Covid being imported, despite travel-related C-19 having risen from 2% of cases to 12% of cases. NPHET "gravely concerned" but Eoin Corry is not.

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1277206296106844166?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭golondrinas

The farmers wife complaining about the amount of Carers allowance.. Is she minding someone else’s child..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Eoghan Corry...another 'expert' that the entitled can quote to justify flying off for a holiday.

Self appointed "expert" definitely not independent with, to quote an old phrase, "skin in the game"! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mentioned on another thread about the frequency of this guy Corry appearing on rte current affairs shows. Think he managed the full set of weekend, mcinerney, drivetime and morning ireland this week. Like they have him on retainer or something. Find it bizarre.

While Mr Corry knows his way around an airport and is an expert on the travel business I doubt anyone would take his advice on health matters.

Or would they?

Callan57 wrote: »
    Self appointed "expert" definitely not independent with, to quote an old phrase, "skin in the game"! :rolleyes:

He’s our very own, home grown equivalent to Simon Calder in the UK. Without the resumption of travel, he’s no purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Mentioned on another thread about the frequency of this guy Corry appearing on rte current affairs shows. Think he managed the full set of weekend, mcinerney, drivetime and morning ireland this week. Like they have him on retainer or something. Find it bizarre.

Couple of hundred per appearance?

Nice work considering he's repeating the same answers each time.

padd b1975 wrote: »

Dunno would it be that much but probably three figures anyway. Money for jam i think is the expression. Or is it old rope?

According to his wiki page, "For service to tourism Cory has been designated a Kentucky Colonel and a freeman of the city of Baltimore."

A Kentucky Colonel no less. I dont know is that a pisstake tbh.

padd b1975 wrote: »

Dunno would it be that much but probably three figures anyway. Money for jam i think is the expression. Or is it old rope?

According to his wiki page, "For service to tourism Cory has been designated a Kentucky Colonel and a freeman of the city of Baltimore."

A Kentucky Colonel no less. I dont know is that a pisstake tbh.

Eye watering renumeration all right :)

Have you guys hired any consultants lately.

Check out their hourly rate on the invoices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Luke was a bit late coming to the party as far as mask wearing is concerned. :(

I was really annoyed, even puzzled, when I saw that LLS interview, as the science of mask wearing had been explained many times by various experts worldwide by that stage.

As someone who had always thoroughly enjoyed listening to Luke O'Neill explaining the science of all things medical on the PK show, I was very disappointed at that LLS performance. Consequently, as far as I am concerned, Luke has lost some credibility. No more hanging on his every word for me! :D

His position on masks has completely shifted. I even heard him strongly criticising 'Leo' for failing to make mask wearing mandatory about a month ago.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Luke was a bit late coming to the party as far as mask wearing is concerned. :(

I was really annoyed, even puzzled, when I saw that LLS interview, as the science of mask wearing had been explained many times by various experts worldwide by that stage.

As someone who had always thoroughly enjoyed listening to Luke O'Neill explaining the science of all things medical on the PK show, I was very disappointed at that LLS performance. Consequently, as far as I am concerned, Luke has lost some credibility. No more hanging on his every word for me! :D

I wouldn't hang on every word of any scientist myself either but it is fair to point out the context of that interview.

We were in poor shape as regards PPE and didn't know how serious things were going to get.

A good scientist changes his position in line with the proven facts.

elperello wrote: »
    I wouldn't hang on every word of any scientist myself either but it is fair to point out the context of that interview.

We were in poor shape as regards PPE and didn't know how serious things were going to get.

A good scientist changes his position in line with the proven facts.

There seemed to have been a concerted effort from on high at the time to ignore how serious the situation was elsewhere, especially Italy.

With hindsight, how crazy was it that Irish people were flying on skiing holidays to the epicentre of the virus? And when they returned home and asked the HSE if they should quarantine, were told it was ok to go to work as they had no signs of the virus. Unfortunately, and ironically, one of those people was a doctor who infected many during the course of his work in a busy hospital.

Anyone remember Dr. Harry Barry on the LLS telling people to go out to restaurants and the theatre, no need to stop enjoying ourselves?? I remember feeling absolutely furious as I watched that performance!! Anyone who kept up with the news could see how serious it was!!!

Thankfully, the powers that be eventually got their act together and have done a very good job keeping us safe, imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement