Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Cole wrote: »
    I found it a bit irritating when Anthony Staines was trying to outline his solutions for dealing with Covid19 and kept getting interrupted, so he never really got a good run at it...

Felt Damien shut down that conversation primarily because Anthonys solution was getting more confusing the more he spoke.
    Anthony had good points but the execution was disjointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Infoanon wrote: »
    Felt Damien shut down that conversation primarily because Anthonys solution was getting more confusing the more he spoke.
    Anthony had good points but the execution was disjointed

At one point Damien asked him what would he have done last week and he said he would have done 3 things...he didn't get beyond the first one before he was interrupted and then they didn't come back to 2 and 3. If he had been allowed to outline them first, at least there may have been less confusion around his ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

At one point Damien asked him what would he have done last week and he said he would have done 3 things...he didn't get beyond the first one before he was interrupted and then they didn't come back to 2 and 3. If he had been allowed to outline them first, at least there may have been less confusion around his ideas.

He wanted to block all traffic and travel outside of any county but also wanted to open the pubs

Jizique wrote: »
    He wanted to block all traffic and travel outside of any county but also wanted to open the pubs

That was another question that was fired at him in the middle of everything about not opening/not opening pubs (or similar services), rather than a specific point or solution...from my memory of it.

That was another question that was fired at him in the middle of everything about not opening/not opening pubs (or similar services), rather than a specific point or solution...from my memory of it.

In fairness he added that any pubs breaking the rules should be immediately shut down.

He spoke about reopening county by county but then confused his argument by saying that individuals should decide what is essential county travel (while also arguing that the government have been to slow to make masks mandatory )

• Advertisement

In fairness he added that any pubs breaking the rules should be immediately shut down.

He spoke about reopening county by county but then confused his argument by saying that individuals should decide what is essential county travel (while also arguing that the government have been to slow to make masks mandatory )

Yes, fair point...bit of a hole in that particular solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Was he not a bit "all over the shop" or maybe I'm a bit slow on a Sunday ;)

Callan57 wrote: »
    Was he not a bit "all over the shop" or maybe I'm a bit slow on a Sunday ;)

I feel Damien's (and the panel) interruptions contributed to it all being a bit disjointed, while others maybe feel it was Anthony Staines himself...either way, it was a bit "all over the shop".

Anyway, that kind of discussion would have been bedlam with BOC imo. Good to hear that Damien's back again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Damien is a big improvement on Ballsy....trying just a tad too hard would be my only minor criticism.

RTE need to get shut of Ballsy rapido ...he has been found out.

Thought Anthony Staines contributed quite well if you overlook his irritating south dublin drawl...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Good grief, Damien is so much easier to listen to then BOC. There's almost no comparison.

• Advertisement

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Good grief, Damien is so much easier to listen to then BOC. There's almost no comparison.

That’s true, but he does butt in and likes to express his own opinion a fair bit. The current piece, on NZ and their approach to COVID-19, is an example. The interviewee, an Irish woman in Auckland, has to keep reiterating that the population at large actually agrees with their government’s strategy, despite Damian’s efforts to say otherwise. “It’s Orwellian” says he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

EmptyTree wrote: »

yeah, it's obviously a moot point (as Brendan will be returning soon) but very surprised and impressed by Damien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That’s true, but he does butt in and likes to express his own opinion a fair bit. The current piece, on NZ and their approach to COVID-19, is an example. The interviewee, an Irish woman in Auckland, has to keep reiterating that the population at large actually agrees with their government’s strategy, despite Damian’s efforts to say otherwise. “It’s Orwellian” says he.

Thought it was funny when she said ‘people can’t be trusted’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

And the "misery junkies" in Ireland jibe was very dismissive.

I always felt that Ellen, and the all other shows, were secretly sniggering behind their backs. They can't have been oblivious to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Everyone is bored by this conversation about Harry and Meagan..the audience, Damien, even the authors sound bored! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Hadn't time to listen this morning but did he mention the failte Ireland chief who headed off to Italy on holiday not a bother on him, at the same time as they were campaigning for the rest of us to vacation at home this year

Everyone is bored by this conversation about Harry and Meagan..the audience, Damien, even the authors sound bored! ðŸ˜

I’m English and basically pro-monarchy, but even I couldn’t give a monkey’s. Just let them off with whatever they want do/be. And leave the rest of us in peace.

Hadn't time to listen this morning but did he mention the failte Ireland chief who headed off to Italy on holiday not a bother on him, at the same time as they were campaigning for the rest of us to vacation at home this year

Not sure, but this is a bit of an own goal. Michael Cawley does, IMO, a great job as Chairman. But he carries the Ryanair DNA. “If you don’t agree with me, F Off”. No “please” or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, he’s resigned from the job so should be mentioned a bit now.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Well, he’s resigned from the job now so should be mentioned a bit now.

That was quick, im impressed... guess he was made an offer he couldn't refuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That was quick, im impressed... guess he was made an offer he couldn't refuse

Good call, at last someone in govt grew a set of balls.

And a quick delve in that area might uncover lack of same orbs.

More of that needed.

Good call, at last someone in govt grew a set of balls.

And a quick delve in that area might uncover lack of same orbs.

More of that needed.

Indeed... its a good job the minister was green, I've my doubts he'd be gone so quick if it was a member of one of the other 2 parties holding that particular portfolio

Indeed... its a good job the minister was green, I've my doubts he'd be gone so quick if it was a member of one of the other 2 parties holding that particular portfolio

Yep agree there.

These chokers need to ramp up pretty sharpish.

Far too much own goals being left on a plate for the opposition.

Need to step up.... own goal...... collect your P45... and fhuhhck off.

Quote:

Heard that this morning, thought it was very bad form of Damien in view of the sacrifices most are making in this country to comply and help reinforce the public health message. I like Damien's presentation, but not necessarily his opinions and the imposition of them during the show.

Quote:

Heard that this morning, thought it was very bad form of Damien in view of the sacrifices most are making in this country to comply and help reinforce the public health message. I like Damien's presentation, but not necessarily his opinions and the imposition of them during the show.

I have now sent in a complaint to RTÉ about this, asking for the remark to be withdrawn and an apology to be read out.

I have now sent in a complaint to RTÉ about this, asking for the remark to be withdrawn and an apology to be read out.

Dear Cat,

We acknowledge receipt of your letter, it will be forwarded to the show producer.

Regards

B Bendar RTE

And that’s the last you will hear of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I had some admiration for Michael McNamara but this morning he is talking unadulterated drivel.

Callan57 wrote: »
    I had some admiration for Michael McNamara but this morning he is talking unadulterated drivel.

Someone should stick a well used pair of jocks in his gob.

Cretin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

I have seldom heard such rubbish as I’m hearing now about Michael Cauley.

Mav11 wrote: »
    I have seldom heard such rubbish as I’m hearing now about Michael Cauley.

Rubbish...... what kind of rubbish are you hearing?

Michael McNamara must be coming down with a touch of Covid19 himself. This has to be the one of the worst performances of any TD I've ever heard ...jaw dropping stuff.

Probably everything uttered by Michael McNamara this morning.

Michael Mc Namara finally being torn to shreds with his nonsense - getting an easy ride for months

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

So hard to listen to people shouting each other down on and laughing at each other’s points etc on a Sunday morning.

That’s one thing the late Marian Finuncane was really good at. She moderated the discussion to give it a calm less noisy vibe.

• Advertisement

Michael Mc Namara finally being torn to shreds with his nonsense

Damian finished the call with him abruptly.

Probably everything uttered by Michael McNamara this morning.

And I’m in total agreement with that view.

What ‘Pat’ has to learn is responsibility brings with it higher standards.

Thankfully Mr Cauley realised this and Ms Martin also realised it

Chop chop, bang , gonzo, job done overnight end of, nice and clean.

Unlike the Cowen scenario...........

Michael Mc Namara finally being torn to shreds with his nonsense

Not enough though...hopefully more will follow post interview and his Oireachtas colleagues will give him a good pasting.

And I’m in total agreement with that view.

What ‘Pat’ has to learn is responsibility brings with it higher standards.

Thankfully Mr Cauley realised this and Ms Martin also realised it

Chop chop, bang , gonzo, job done overnight end of, nice and clean.

Unlike the Cowen scenario...........

Slightly different scenario, Cowen is an elected representative, Cauley is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I didnt get the names, but interesting discussion earlier.

Man: we dreadfully overreacted to the pandemic, got it totally wrong etc.

Woman: but all those pictures from Italy of hospitals being overwhelmed, that could easily have been us.

Man: exactly, great point. And just proves what I'm saying.

I lost him after that. How did it prove his point? Couldnt quite make out the thread of that argument.

• Advertisement

Couldnt quite make out the thread of that argument.

I don't think anyone could...and he's the chairman of the Oireachtas Response to Covid19 Committee.

Oh God no is that mary louise I hear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I don't think anyone could...and he's the chairman of the Oireachtas Response to Covid19 Committee.

No, it wasnt McNamara. Its one of the guys on the panel, didnt catch his name at the start.

No, it wasnt McNamara. Its one of the guys on the panel, didnt catch his name at the start.

Oh it must have got mixed up in my head, due to the panels talking over each other and me shouting at the radio. The other guy's Karl Dieter.

Karl Dieter - his point blown out of the water by Sinead who pointed out that the article written by DanO' Brien had a caveat on it (by Dan )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

It's chicken and chips circuit not rubber chicken

Pointless having both MLD and Sinead O'Carroll in the studio agreeing on everything. They are both painful. Plus MLD was picked by Enda Kenny to be in the Seanad, so there is always the whiff of a shill from her.

McNamara was at a very distinct disadvantage, him being on the phone line and having two people in the studio disagreeing with every sentence before he had finished. I hope he's not going to do the Joe Duffy trick of giving more unchallenged airtime to only those people whose views he agrees with.

Slightly different scenario, Cowen is an elected representative, Cauley is not.

The basic principle is the same Mav.

My point is that positions of responsibility bring on higher standards.

‘Pat and Patricia’ seem to have a difficult relationship with that concept.

Think charities

Think politics

Think churches and religion

Think FAI

....and many others.

Karl Dieter - his point blown out of the water by Sinead who pointed out that the article written by DanO' Brien had a caveat on it (by Dan )

I think his overall point of there being a consensus and "putting on of the green jersey" with regard to the lockdown is still valid though.

MLOD coming in with 20/20 hindsight....and total bullschidt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement