Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

When MM comes across well, he comes across very well-and he was always at his best on radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

ax530 wrote: »
    I find this easier to most of the interview with politicians which have been almost attacking or trying to catch out. The presenter following a line not letting conversation evolve
    Brendan giving Micheal time to talk

Too many of them see it as a badge of honour to catch out a politician, and badger them. They forget that the audience sometimes wants to hear what the interviewee has to say, not the interviewer.

There are some egregious characters at this. Robert Downes for one, Aine Lawlor for 2, and over on Newsrant, “Doctor “ Ciara Kelly should really just interview herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Mav11

Finished, overall I thought a good, human interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Mav11 wrote: »
    Finished, overall I thought a good, human interview.

I didn’t hear it - I must do so on playback.

I’m not a political fan of M Martin, but I’m glad he did well as it reduces the amount of negativity in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We should put in the same restrictions of travel to this country as Cyprus have in that you need to have been tested negative for the virus within 72 hours of arriving in to this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Very soft interview with Michael Martin.

Did they say Denise Welch on next? This Denise Welch

Can imagine RTE giving her a platform to question Government policy on COVID?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Cyprus , a 'glorious' coming together of turkish and greek cultures , lol , this travel guy is a spoofer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very soft interview with Michael Martin.

Did they say Denise Welch on next? This Denise Welch

Can imagine RTE giving her a platform to question Government policy on COVID?

Martin didn’t even really condemn that incident with Leo..line he was afraid to call it a scum act..

Yep...about as trashy a guest you could find..

She’ll either be talking gick about Covid, or about masturbating during lockdown..

Mike Murphy, way too smart for my liking.

I’m sure the cost won’t hurt you too much, Mick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Mike sould be compulsorily cocooned and gagged as well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Cole

Former property developer and broadcaster Mike Murphy has to cancel a holiday to Italy...first world problems again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

My heart bleeds for Mike Murphy having to cancel his Italian holiday. Anyone who books a holiday abroad has to be prepared for the fact that it might have to be cancelled last minute. I wouldn’t contemplate going abroad this year anyway, it’s not worth the risk.

He’s some eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Give the two old geezers a chance.:)

The life experience of these two men has given them a wealth of stories worth listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

That joke was so good he had to say it twice. Good man Brennan, the only person laughing at that one is yourself :rolleyes:

I think it goes back to the 60's and 70's when you had to be a pompous git to get a job in RTE. He's still a pompous git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

More boring book talk just in case ppl are having withdrawal symptoms from tubridy

Mike Murphy, way too smart for my liking.

He’d eat himself if he was made of chocolate

Absolutely loves himself

elperello wrote: »
    Give the two old geezers a chance.:)

The life experience of these two men has given them a wealth of stories worth listening to.

I like Mike Murphy but his comment at the beginning about his holiday just shows the different perspectives on what is hardship during Covid times...just a bit irritating to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Dunno, I don't mind Mike. But these posts did make me laugh
    Oops69 wrote: »
    Mike sould be compulsorily cocooned and gagged as well .

Pompous aul farts

I think it goes back to the 60's and 70's when you had to be a pompous git to get a job in RTE. He's still a pompous git.

Absolutely loves himself

In fairness, it's all a bit tongue in cheek with Mike.

Cole wrote: »
    In fairness, it's all a bit tongue in cheek with Mike.

Is it though? He’s always like that

Pompous aul farts

He reminds me a bit of Hugh Laurie's character George, in Blackadder.

Is it though? He’s always like that

I grew up with Mike Murphy on RTE (the Live Mike etc.)...never really took himself too seriously.

• Advertisement

Depression my arse with this one..out and out attention seeker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

walshb wrote: »
    Depression my arse with this one..out and out attention seeker!!!

Arry shur didn't her hubby spent half his life workin in Dusseldorf and further afield to get away from her

I grew up with Mike Murphy on RTE (the Live Mike etc.)...never really took himself too seriously.

I was in his first ever tv appearance, posing as his baby, with my mother his stage wife. It was an early public service broadcast to promote road safety. He was 19 at the time, my mother 42-quite an age difference between the "couple" :D

I hope Denise isn't listening to this lad from Nphet on news @ 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

When MM comes across well, he comes across very well-and he was always at his best on radio.

Agree 100% on this, I heard him being interviewed on morning ireland about 2 weeks ago and he was excellent. 1 -1 definitely his forte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Denise was only on with Tubbs or Darcy a week or 2 ago with the same speil. Mustn't have sold enough books first time round.

Surprised with all the hate for Mike Murphy. He may have been involved in property but he lost every penny he had from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Birdsong wrote: »
    Agree 100% on this, I heard him being interviewed on morning ireland about 2 weeks ago and he was excellent. 1 -1 definitely his forte.

Yep no fan of FF since Haughey corrupted the entire party. Only people who joined since them were sleeveen chancers on the make. MM seems to be different and sounded competent and trustworthy. The real problem is the rest of the party are the collection of flakes who looked at Haughey or Aherne back in the day and said "thems the boyos for me"

Surprised with all the hate for Mike Murphy. He may have been involved in property but he lost every penny he had from what I remember.

Not saying I hate him just found his section very “clique-y”. Name dropping all his buddies and having private in jokes with John banville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Not saying I hate him just found his section very “clique-y”. Name dropping all his buddies and having private in jokes with John banville.

His name dropping in fairness was a promotion for the senior times and their podcasts - BOC did cut him off

Yeah the item was a bit silly to be honest, particularly with every one talking over each other. But every time I hear Mike Murphy on the radio I think "man, he is infinitely better than the person who is interviewing him and probably all of the other light entertainment in RTE (especially the Late Late Show presenter). Hard to think that Mike would not be infinitely better as a host of that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

riclad wrote: »
    i think hes a very good presenter, its nice to have a presenter who is not from dublin, like 90 per cent of the presenters on rte radio.
    he has an easy going personality which reflects where he comes from.
    he does not pick out the topics for the show .
    Maybe once a month they could have a female presenter just as a change of pace.
    i,d prefer a presenter to be honest and sincere than one who pretends to be interested in everything .
    And he has a sense of humour unlike some rte presenters who sound like they are they are mainly concerned with sounding serious and important .

I think you have that 90% the wrong way round.

Morning Ireland : Rachel English, Clare
    Gavin Jennings, Meath
    Audrey carville, ulster

Tubridy: Dublin
    Claire Byrne : laois
    One o clock news: Sarah mcinerney, Galway
    Aine lawlor, Dublin
    Joe Duffy, Dublin
    Ray D'Arcy, Kildale
    Drivetime: Mary Wilson, tipperary

Arena: Sean rocks, country

John creedon, Cork
    Late Debate, Katie hannon, kerry

I remember decades ago when Mike Murphy was doing his TV skits, which he was pretty good at. One was a pseudo presenter job for RTÉ where the running joke was that you needed to speak with a Northern Ireland accent to get the job. It reflected the actuality at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mike Murphys a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bricana

Pat Byrne talking sense this morning about our response to Covid

• Advertisement

Bricana wrote: »

Anne Doyle Doesn’t like cyclists.

Bricana wrote: »

Pat Byrne was extremely poor - misjudged his approach completely and Kate O Connell countered his points time and time again.

BOC show defaulted to extreme views again which results in a poor show.

I wouldn't describe pat byrnes views as extreme, its no harm to hear an alternate point of view from the prevailing one on msm. Actually come to think of it where IS the money going to come from to pay for all this, they can print money all they like but somewhere down the line the EU is going to come looking for its pound of flesh and we will have to pay one way or another

If everybody take a middle line for fear of upsetting others, it makes for very tedious radio and certain truths might never be questioned.

If everybody take a middle line for fear of upsetting others, it makes for very tedious radio and certain truths might never be questioned.

Don't want middle line but extremes polarise the listenership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Infoanon wrote: »
    Pat Byrne was extremely poor - misjudged his approach completely and Kate O Connell countered his points time and time again.

BOC show defaulted to extreme views again which results in a poor show.

Agree, total vested interest approach in an aggressive tone of voice.

Kate O’Connell was fair and square and as you say, countered everything he came out with.

Kind of hard to take a definite line on something that we've never dealt with before and are still learning about. Taking a "middle line"...or as I'd see it, a more balanced line...can sometimes be more responsible. Or you can take the Pat Byrne approach of criticising everything that NPHET and the government are doing. Yes, they're not getting everything right, but they're working their arses off and trying their best imo. He just contributes to polarising people (as Infoanon said) into two opposing and conflicting groups - sceptics versus supporters of the plans/measures.
    Agree, total vested interest approach in an aggressive tone of voice.

I've seen Pat Byrne on Prime Time too. Fair enough to raise questions about the economy, but he's got a particularly cold and clinical take on things. Throws out the odd cliched remark about not wanting to take away from the public health challenges around Covid...then goes on to criticise everything without a hint of constructive comment.

Kind of hard to take a definite line on something that we've never dealt with before and are still learning about. Taking a "middle line"...or as I'd see it, a more balanced line...can sometimes be more responsible. Or you can take the Pat Byrne approach of criticising everything that NPHET and the government are doing. Yes, they're not getting everything right, but they're working their arses off and trying their best imo. He just contributes to polarising people (as Infoanon said) into two opposing and conflicting groups - sceptics versus supporters of the plans/measures.

I've seen Pat Byrne on Prime Time too. Fair enough to raise questions about the economy, but he's got a particularly cold and clinical take on things. Throws out the odd cliched remark about not wanting to take away from the public health challenges around Covid...then goes on to criticise everything without a hint of constructive comment.

You nailed it dude.

That’s how I saw it too

Each to his own I suppose, but it takes some courage to put your head above the parapet and express your honestly held unpopular views, knowing full well that you will probably derided and slated as an extremist or a nut job etc.

Free speech I guess you'd call it!!

• Advertisement

Each to his own I suppose, but it takes some courage to put your head above the parapet and express your honestly held unpopular views, knowing full well that you will probably derided and slated as an extremist or a nut job etc.

Free speech I guess you'd call it!!

Vested interest I’d call it....

Advertisement