Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

ah, ahhhmm, c'mere to me, ah, ahhhmmm, aahh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Cole

Edwina Currie...effing and blinding at the radio alert.

"Would two weeks to open and then shut down after Christmas suit you"

Well, Brendan if RTE chose to pay you only for the weekends that you were presenting the show, how would that suit you?

It's really baffling how a man who took a position in RTE for the stability, having previous been an outlier, doesn't understand the value of a stable pay packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Nigella surely has the sexiest voice on the airwaves ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why does he have to mention the death of Nigella’s mother and husband?! She sounded a little taken aback to me.
    For god’s sake RTE, stop endlessly zooming in on misery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Shelga wrote: »
    Why does he have to mention the death of Nigella’s mother and husband?! She sounded a little taken aback to me.
    nothing like a bit of death for rte in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Thought that too, she wasnt expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

There's a very sick culture in that organisation.

Do we care whether Brendan likes anchovies - or rhubarb?

• Advertisement

There's a very sick culture in that organisation.

And how quickly Brendan has conformed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Callan57 wrote: »

No, that'd be Lara Marlowe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Cole

No, that'd be Lara Marlowe

It's clearly Eanna Ni Lamhna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

'I'll get da spuds for ya Negella in west cark by.'
    Says Brendan tongue hanging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

That particular instruction appears in the first line of the first paragraph of the first chapter of RTE's in-house Guide for Interviewers' Handbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Callan57 wrote: »

sure BOC has the sexiest voice on irish radio

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »

You're welcome to her Coley, each to their own as the saying goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Treppen

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    sure BOC has the sexiest voice on irish radio

That can only be said in a cork accent

Cole wrote: »

It’s ALWAYS Eanna. Centre of the universe, that one.

The laughing immunologist yet again. I'll wait until it passes the safety tests thanks Luke. If you are happy enough to take it after a press release from a company that has paid out billions in fines for illegal marketing, then roll up your sleeve. Maybe you could do it live on the Late Late Show?

How can the same man being worried about "long COVID" but seemingly have no worries about the long terms effects of a fast tracked vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭bossdrum

How can the same man being worried about "long COVID" but seemingly have no worries about the long terms effects of a fast tracked vaccine?

Don't worry, Luke mentioned he has friends in Pfizer so he is in the know.
    He also said that the woman whose company created the vaccine has increased its value by a billion. I think this shows Lukes real motivation in all this.

Wow.

What a whataboutery session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

That's not what he said.

The Christmas travel conversation was bizzare considering what is happening across Europe.

The Woulfe discussion is being explained well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

bossdrum wrote: »
    Don't worry, Luke mentioned he has friends in Pfizer so he is in the know.
    He also said that the woman whose company created the vaccine has increased its value by a billion. I think this shows Lukes real motivation in all this.

Absolutely, some people just can’t see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What is it with Jennifer Gannon that she cannot pronounce the “g” in any word ending in “ing”?

Hardly her most annoying trait, but irritating nonetheless.

Some of us watched Borgen when it was out first Jennifer. :rolleyes:

How she is a TV Critic without ever having watched The Wire or Breaking Bad remains one of life’s greatest mysteries. She’d have watched them if they had African American handicapped trans midgets in them though. #woke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Hopefully, the vaccine will bring the pandemic to an end therefore reducing to a much lower level, the incidence of "long covid".

plodder wrote: »
    Hopefully, the vaccine will bring the pandemic to an end therefore reducing to a much lower level, the incidence of "long covid".

The consultant I'm attending for autoimmune type symptoms believes I may have "Long Covid syndrome" in that it has provoked my immune system into chronic inflammation, with evidence of resolving Covid type damage on lungs which is causing periodic breathing issues. When a vaccine becomes available I would recommend to seriously consider taking it as you just don't know how your body will react to the virus. I know the same could be argued about the vaccine, but in all probability the risk in getting the virus would be considerably greater than a vaccine.

The virus itself is a live thing when it hits you, and your own body can go to town in trying to deal with it, and even when the virus itself is defeated, the cycle of tissue inflammation can go on and on and on. Thankfully I'm already retired (ex public servant, served my 40 years from age 17, otherwise I could be a formerly active relatively young person forced to give up work until goodness knows when because of its effects. In simple terms the vaccine is a "mock-up" of the virus, so just enough to provoke a protection against it but hopefully in the vast majority of cases not to send the immune system into overdrive.

If you are concerned about taking the vaccine just look at the risk levels of taking a neurofen.

The anti everything brigade get to much airtime not helped when BOC makes comments along the line that there is no evidence that pubs and restaurants contribute to the spread of Covid - thankfully he was quickly corrected.

As an aside - the simplest explanation I have seen of how the vaccine works has come from goggle box on C4 on Friday night Umar Siddiqui iirc

plodder wrote: »

But this is my genuine worry. The will put a gun to everybody's head - the vaccine is the solution to the lockdown, therefore everybody takes the vaccine or we keep you locked down.

But this is my genuine worry. The will put a gun to everybody's head - the vaccine is the solution to the lockdown, therefore everybody takes the vaccine or we keep you locked down.

+it may be made very hard for anyone to travel overseas without the vaccine (alternative €199 covid test), health workers and the like may find it hard to continue working if they don't take the vaccine

• Advertisement

Also when Luke O'Neill is on telling us "how excited he is" about the new Arthritis drug from Ely Lily, would it not be fair to disclose that his own company Sitryx has a relationship with Eli Lily?

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/eli-lilly-sitryx-deal-luke-oneill
    "Based in the UK and co-founded by Trinity’s Prof Luke O’Neill, biotech start-up Sitryx will develop four compounds to treat autoimmune diseases. Pharma giant Eli Lily has announced plans to partner with Oxford-based biopharma start-up Sitryx as part of a global licensing and research collaboration. Founded in 2018, Sitryx is working to regulate cell metabolism in the development of therapeutics in immuno-oncology and immune-inflammation."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Also when Luke O'Neill is on telling us "how excited he is" about the new Arthritis drug from Ely Lily, would it not be fair to disclose that his own company Sitryx has a relationship with Eli Lily?

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/eli-lilly-sitryx-deal-luke-oneill

No wonder he’s smiling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Personally, I will take it, and would encourage others to. I paid to get the HPV vaccine for my daughters before the government offered it for free. So, I believe in vaccines.

But, I don't think this (or any) vaccine should be mandatory. I don't think it would be legal to force people to take one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

How many items can you squeeze into a couple of hours. They were cramming so many topics in there you'd be left dizzy.

What is Weekend on One, or whatever the name of the show is.

They have gone downmarket on the panel who review newspaper and figure out the world and Ireland's place in it.

Will there ever be an interview done by Brendan that would be anything like the memorable quality of Marian Finnucane's with Nuala O'Faolain, or Justine Mccarthy.

Brendan is Brendan obviously and not Marian. He did effectively take over her slot. That is why I mentioned her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

imme wrote: »
    How many items can you squeeze into a couple of hours. They were cramming so many topics in there you'd be left dizzy.

What is Weekend on One, or whatever the name of the show is.

They have gone downmarket on the panel who review newspaper and figure out the world and Ireland's place in it.

Will there ever be an interview done by Brendan that would be anything like the memorable quality of Marian Finnucane's with Nuala O'Faolain, or Justine Mccarthy.

Brendan is Brendan obviously and not Marian. He did effectively take over her slot. That is why I mentioned her.

Now we have to throw Ballsy some slack

Nothing will be the same until the COVID 19 issue is controlled.

People can’t come into the studio.. all that stuff.

We have to a take account of that.

All bets off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I really miss the panel of talking heads on a Sunday, picking apart all that's been in the papers and happened in the past week and giving different takes on it.

I know it was an excuse for posters here to go nuts over the same luvvies appearing all the time, and who were they related to in RTE, and what sort of ****e were they talking (because they happened to differ with said poster's immovable, irrefutable opinion) - but I always found it an interesting recap with varying perspectives.

Marian was an absolute master at running it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I really miss the panel of talking heads on a Sunday, picking apart all that's been in the papers and happened in the past week and giving different takes on it.

I know it was an excuse for posters here to go nuts over the same luvvies appearing all the time, and who were they related to in RTE, and what sort of ****e were they talking (because they happened to differ with said poster's immovable, irrefutable opinion) - but I always found it an interesting recap with varying perspectives.

I think the problem most people have with these panels is that they invariably do not have differing 'takes' or perspectives. Group think and lack of perspective is my memory of these panels.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Let's not look back with rose tinted shades. The concept was good-Pat Kenny did it very well, but in Made Marion's case, the execution was often poor, and the panel unbalanced. All that said, I still miss it.

I remember my eldest girl, when Marion passed away, talking to me about it-she said you must be gutted, she was like, one of your favourite presenters. Primarily because a radio went on somewhere every weekend morning, and we were all used to it. I didn't agree then, but I can see where she's coming from now.

Ballsy/Beefy has yet to win me over.

Luke O'Neill admitted last week that there will be vaccine injuries as they are unavoidable amongst a small percentage of people who get vaccines. Has it been announced who will be liable for these injuries? Will it be the pharma company or the Irish State?

• Advertisement

Luke O'Neill admitted last week that there will be vaccine injuries as they are unavoidable amongst a small percentage of people who get vaccines. Has it been announced who will be liable for these injuries? Will it be the pharma company or the Irish State?

Vaccine injuries ??

Luke O ' Neill said nothing of the sort this claim is anti vaxxer nonsense - look at any medicine eg Nurofen - and look at the list of side effects.

All medicines / vaccines have side effects, the benefits greatly outweigh the risks is closer to what Luke actually said

What I'm saying is not controversial. The US Vaccine Court has paid out over 4 billion dollars since the Government took over liability for the vaccines there. Just because vaccine injury is treated with an Omerta of silence by the media, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Luke O'Neill last week: "There will be adverse events, every vaccine has this.... but it's tiny tiny tiny. I mean last year a billion vaccines doses in America, 6000 adverse events. I'm very sorry for the people they are very serious adverse events."

My question is does the State pay out the compensation for this or does the pharma company pay the compensation for the very serious adverse events caused by this vaccine. Or will the people end up fighting the Government for 11 years like the people in the new last week who suffered from life changing injuries caused by the Swine Vaccine.

Gary Numan comes across as a lovely guy. Was never into his music, but I was flying around the time he was doing so, and I was really envious, and admiring, of how he had the courage and ability to progress to aerobatic aviation and became a world class master of it. I always thought it was a great use of his money to dedicate it to his love of his sport, but I am biased! As a matter of fact, you did not need much money in Ireland in the 80s to make a similar achievement, what you needed was dedication and ability. Commercial sponsorship was available in exceptional cases and retired Aer Lingus pilot Arthur Wignall was so determined by Harp until his death in an accident in Sligo. I knew a girl working on a tiny salary who he was taking in for training under the sponsorship, but sadly the death of Arthur brought that to an end before it began.

An exhibition on grieving, just what we need

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

An exhibition on grieving, just what we need

New liveline thread title?

Classic RTÉ logic at play here now where the solution to RTEGate is to give Sean O’Rourke his proposed new show back because of the behaviour of the staff at the retirement do.

• Advertisement

It's pretty cynical of RTE to have these journalists comment on the RTE issue. They have a vested interest in appearing on an RTE show to promote their wares, so they are unlikely to bite the hand that feeds them. In lieu of having an official RTE representative to answer questions. And "we asked for a spokesperson from RTE but none was available"?? One of the people in the photos was ON AIR right before this show, could you not have asked her to come in and explain herself?

It's pretty cynical of RTE to have these journalists, who have a vested interest in appearing on an RTE show to promote their wares, and ask them for their opinions on this RTE issue - in lieu of having an official RTE representative to answer questions. And "we asked for a spokesperson from RTE but none was available"?? One of the people in the photos was ON AIR right before this show, could you not have asked her to come in and explain herself?

It’s laughable tbh.

They would pour scorn and ridicule over any organizations that refuse to provide a spokesperson in a similar situation, but feel no obligation to deal with this themselves. Very poor judgement from Dee 4bes et ap, the kind of poor judgement that should actually lead to resignations IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

What the hell is Conor Pope on, saying 'no one is perfect'. People have had to miss funerals and weddings for f*** sake. That segment was a disgrace.

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    What the hell is Conor Pope on, saying 'no one is perfect'. People have had to miss funerals and weddings for f*** sake. That segment was a disgrace.

Conor wouldn't want to lose his nice little RTE sideline so was towing the party line.

As a texter mentioned, I've had many colleagues move job or retire this year, and we haven't been able to say goodbye to them in any way. Maybe because I work in a hospital we just adhere to the rules, but that was basically a "Move on, nothing to see here party political broadcast on behalf of RTE".

BOC 'I don't want to be a spokesman for RTE'....but no law was broken.....

Dreadful stuff but not unexpected

• Advertisement
Advertisement