Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I sometimes tune in. But i can't stand a grown man speaking like an American teenager? The uptake at the end of a sentence? It's annoying? Very annoying?
    How did he acquire that?

His native Cork accent is also a turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I had to turn this off after Norah Casey starting getting dangerously close to become an anti vaxxer or at least vaccine sceptic in my eyes. And then spouting on about making her name in peer review publications as if this meant that we should trust her over doctors and scientists. I also think she said that people should do their own research or something asking those lines. Almost Gemma-lite if you ask me.

I am going to get crucified for this but Norah needs to remember she is a trained nurse, and a long time out of that game. She should leave the advice on vaccines to those trained to do so-scientists and doctors, who are up to date with the latest technology. Also if her friends are coming to her for medical advice, as she claimed, really she should be telling them to go to their GP (or someone trained to give the proper advice and help)

Shame on rte for giving Norah a forum to spout her crap on.

Disclaimer-I know nurses are one of the most crucial parts of the health system, are greatly undervalued and the system would fall apart without them

Rte is a public service broadcaster funded by license fee and central government which we all pay for. I for one want to hear arguments from all angles not just one. I don’t listen to much radio anymore due to only getting the current agreed opinion which you seem to favour. What is the point in listening to obvious propaganda with no discussion or disagreements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Rte is a public service broadcaster funded by license fee and central government which we all pay for. I for one want to hear arguments from all angles not just one. I don’t listen to much radio anymore due to only getting the current agreed opinion which you seem to favour. What is the point in listening to obvious propaganda with no discussion or disagreements?

Hmmm.... good points there in fairness...we do need to expect that RTE can do this fairly though.... an expectation which at times can be strained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Slowly being turned off by both Miriam and Brendan, Marian Finucane was head and shoulder above both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Difference points of view is fine. As long as the person giving them is informed and educated. I don’t believe Norah Casey is informed or educated to give the points of view she was giving. If a mad man on the street is telling me to put my hand in the fire I don’t think he should get airtime on the radio.
    The fact that rte is funded by the public is all the more reason the guest’s views should be informed, fair and balanced. Anti science views that anti vaxxers have are not educated, informed or balanced. Unless you believe the earth is flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How was lockdown for you Michael Flatley?

"It was terrible, I live in Monte Carlo and it was awful".

It was awful everywhere Michael, but some places are probably better to be locked down in than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

NIMAN wrote: »
    How was lockdown for you Michael Flatley?

"It was terrible, I live in Monte Carlo and it was awful".

It was awful everywhere Michael, but some places are probably better to be locked down in than others.

Will we ever find out when he's releasing his film Blackbird?

Brendan would like his audience to be so angry. It's the government's fault that the pandemic is so bad. Anger by the little people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Brendan would like his audience to be so angry. It's the government's fault that the pandemic is so bad. Anger by the little people.

Just so I understand you, you are saying that the citizens (or the little people as you call them) do not have the right to criticize the Government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They do of course, but its not the Gov spreading covid and ignoring restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Liam O'Maonlai sounded more like a monk than the monk fella they had on. Such long pauses in his answers.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Liam O'Maonlai sounded more like a monk than the monk fella they had on. Such long pauses in his answers.

And on about drinking pints with a cup of tea between each pint... RocknRoll innit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Stefanie Preissner guaranteed a testimonial out of RTE for appearances on the show.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

dvcireland wrote: »
    Stefanie Preissner guaranteed a testimonial out of RTE for appearances on the show.

Must be a standing invite at this stage. Getting even more bored of this show now. Dont think anything we havnt heard before or interesting is going to be said between now and 1pm.

Maybe there will be a review of what's on television over Christmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Must be a standing invite at this stage. Getting even more bored of this show now. Dont think anything we havnt heard before or interesting is going to be said between now and 1pm.

Cheer up we are only 18 minutes in to a 2 hour show.

Anything could happen, it's live radio :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

dvcireland wrote: »

Did I hear she was thinking of running for fine gael, might explain the free press!!

Im not sure Brendan is right for this show anymore. I think The pandemic is really affecting him, which is fair enough-it’s affecting us all. However his emotions are coming through too much and it’s like he is all consumed with it and the show is just becoming the Covid show.

I usually cannot stand Stephanie Preissner or anything that comes out of her mouth, but I have to admit that to me nearly everything she has uttered regarding Covid has made sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

When Stephanie Preissner is talking more sense than Luke O Neill (who is not coming across very well this morning ) and Lucunda whose only contribution is you can't close borders when thats exactly what's happening you know you are in trouble.

Jaysus I'm agreeing with Stephanie again! What's happening! She must be going for politics or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bang!!!!

That’s Brendan switched off......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

BOC "How are you?"

Baz "I'm rock n' roll"

Me "I'm off to Newstalk"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jaysus I'm agreeing with Stephanie again! What's happening! She must be going for politics or something.

Same! When she rightly corrected Luke I was thinking what is going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The first hour kept me listening in fairness.

Baz has me gone though.

It seemed like Brendan was winding up his contribution as host of the show, thanking the studio for "putting up with a rookie presenter" in the year that was in it. I take it now that there will be another presenter in the new year... and who might that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It seemed like Brendan was winding up his contribution as host of the show, thanking the studio for "putting up with a rookie presenter" in the year that was in it. I take it now that there will be another presenter in the new year... and who might that be?

Rookie means new, not that you’re leaving!

I tuned in and heard Baz, I was immediately out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

No way brendan walks out on 200k a year minimum!

For 4 hours a weekend, he would have to be bonkers.

Prof Luke O Neill was on the Six One News basically contradicting what he said earlier on the BOC show.

I believe the piece was filmed for the one o clock news - I felt that Luke was on this morning trying to allay fears but for this listener he came across as if he was spoofing - Stephanies input didn't help his cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Infoanon wrote: »
    Prof Luke O Neill was on the Six One News basically contradicting what he said earlier on the BOC show.

I believe the piece was filmed for the one o clock news
    ... and recorded in the RTE campus while he was there for Brendan's show, by the looks of things.

• Advertisement

No way brendan walks out on 200k a year minimum!

For 4 hours a weekend, he would have to be bonkers.

I'm not suggesting Brendan is walking freely; I got the distinct impression he was trying to make it known he isn't any way secure in his current role, and that he might not be Marian's shoes for much longer. The way he said something to the effect "it's been a pleasure doing this show..." gave to me that he might be on the cusp of replacement.

I usually cannot stand Stephanie Preissner or anything that comes out of her mouth, but I have to admit that to me nearly everything she has uttered regarding Covid has made sense.

Aw Cat come on. As long as she parrots the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is considered to be "making sense". If the same person says anything against the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is "not qualified to be speaking about such subjects and should keep her mouth shut because what she says is dangerous and irresponsible".

It's like when Robert De Niro spoke out about Trump being a punk and a dog etc etc - the media repeated it back to back for weeks and slapped him on the back. When Robert De Niro said that people should see the movie Vaxxed (note: De Niro's son has Autism and he is open to the possibility that it may have been caused by a vaccine), they never replayed that interview once.

They'll take the bits of what you say that suits their own agenda.

Aw Cat come on. As long as she parrots the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is considered to be "making sense"..

Did you listen to the show ??

If you did you would know that she was no parrot on Sunday.

Aw Cat come on. As long as she parrots the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is considered to be "making sense". If the same person says anything against the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is "not qualified to be speaking about such subjects and should keep her mouth shut because what she says is dangerous and irresponsible".

It's like when Robert De Niro spoke out about Trump being a punk and a dog etc etc - the media repeated it back to back for weeks and slapped him on the back. When Robert De Niro said that people should see the movie Vaxxed (note: De Niro's son has Autism and he is open to the possibility that it may have been caused by a vaccine), they never replayed that interview once.

They'll take the bits of what you say that suits their own agenda.

I agree with what she says = therefore she is right :D

I'll agree to disagree with ya Gerry :)

Infoanon wrote: »
    Did you listen to the show ?? If you did you would know that she was no parrot on Sunday.

I'll listen back just to "check myself" as Joe Duffy would say :pac:
    But that is the same person who said that she would wait to hear what Michael Martin said before deciding to do after Christmas day, right?

I agree with what she says = therefore she is right :D I'll agree to disagree with ya Gerry :)

Could you not at least keep with tradition and wait for Christmas Day before kicking off the first Christmas big row?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yer man Damien gave poor old Stanley Johnson a good going over about him getting a french passport. All done with a smile, keeping it light.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

I was trying to envisage the look on Damien's face as he was discussing whether Eadna (spelling?) had a suitably shaped mouth for a flute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Oh please Karl Dieter get on that motorbike of yours and fcuk right off.

Cole wrote: »

Hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

Poor panel, someone else saying we could have done what New Zealand have done alone thousand of miles in the S Pacific, it's like the covid forum here on a bad day with people with extreme views getting heated and talking over each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

He’s absolutely insufferable - I’m turning the radio down every time he speaks.

“And now for ‘balance’, we’re going to have an opposing view - and to present that opposing view we’re going to have clueless eejit Karl Deeter.”

Will Love give my cousin her business back? What a clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The dangerous motorcycle. What a dickhead

Karl Dieter is the only person prepared to take view of most in private businesses. Public sector workers can give themselves pay increases during the pandemic and never care where the money comes from. That's not the case for everybody else.

Interesting how they shut him down when he asked questions of the vaccines. Unless you are a vaccine lobbyist, like Conor Pope was last week, then you are persona non grata on RTE. Conor Pope, supposed consumer advocate, who is now an advocate for a commercial product that we will be mandated for everyone and the manufacturer will have no liability.

They should put Professor Paul on 350 a week and see how much love he's feeling then.

Was I the only one who laughed when Brian O'Donovan said "They had no idea who RTE was so they were happy to speak to me".

Karl Dieter is the only person prepared to take view of most in private businesses. Public sector workers can give themselves pay increases during the pandemic and never care where the money comes from. That's not the case for everybody else.

Interesting how they shut him down when he asked questions of the vaccines. Unless you are a vaccine lobbyist, like Conor Pope was last week, then you are persona non grata on RTE. Conor Pope, supposed consumer advocate, who is now an advocate for a commercial product that we will be mandated for everyone and the manufacturer will have no liability.

He was shot down because I’m assuming Damien is only interested in the science. Anti vaxxers don’t need a forum on rte. They get enough airtime on classic hits FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

He was shot down because I’m assuming Damien is only interested in the science. Anti vaxxers don’t need a forum on rte. They get enough airtime on classic hits FM.

Thats the spirit. Ignore opposing views and they will go away. Same applies to rampaging gangs of african youths, or making rape jokes about Catholics. If youre not a trendy WOKE cause, then in 2021 Ireland, you just dont count , you dont exist

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I'm not suggesting Brendan is walking freely; I got the distinct impression he was trying to make it known he isn't any way secure in his current role, and that he might not be Marian's shoes for much longer. The way he said something to the effect "it's been a pleasure doing this show..." gave to me that he might be on the cusp of replacement.

Hes there for the long haul, hes been a very good boy, he hasnt rocked the boat at all. Hes moved a long long way from the Cutting Edge. It seems to me, he knows this is as good as it gets, he cant break the Tubridy/D'arcy stranglehold . Weekend daytime is all hes getting, and if he doesnt like it, they have poor auld Marty Whelan there as an example of what happens if you arent a team player

Thats the spirit. Ignore opposing views and they will go away. Same applies to rampaging gangs of african youths, or making rape jokes about Catholics. If youre not a trendy WOKE cause, then in 2021 Ireland, you just dont count , you dont exist

How can you have an opposing view to science? Isn’t that the opposite of WOKE? Creationism, the world is flat etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement