Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Has Ben Dunne joined the priesthood?

sligojoek wrote: »

The Dunnes are •very• closely associated with de church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

sligojoek wrote: »

Sure tis no wonder wasn't his daddy St Bernard.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

serfboard wrote: »
    I presume that Brendan is not a staffer in RTE. So you can understand why he would want to hang on to the life-raft of his other job, just in case they get rid of him.

After all, it's happened to him before. IIRC, he had a nice little Saturday night chat show gig going when it was dumped in favour of Ray D'Arcy, so non-staff roles in RTE might be precarious for certain presenters.

You know I am surprised that more wasn't made of the salary paid to Brendan when RTE published their list of top earners for 2018 and 2019. This was well after his chat show was "rested" and he was still paid €220000 - €240000 these years.

He was literally a part timer covering the odd weekend for Marian (others like Rachel English, Aine Lawlor and Damien O'Reilly) also covered and presenting short runs of a discussion show for a few months midweek. It really does make some of the other salaries/fees seem justifiable.

Had a little laugh when Katie Hannon on Saturday view was questioning a Minister if he could seriously ustify increasing the pay of the head of the Department of Health to €290000 with so many unemployed. .. If only she had the opportunity to bring up the question of excessive pay in a forum where the public could have their say........... like on Liveline when she is standing in for the regular host who collects €400000 in fees for a 75 minute caller driven show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Clon63 wrote: »
    You know I am surprised that more wasn't made of the salary paid to Brendan when RTE published their list of top earners for 2018 and 2019. This was well after his chat show was "rested" and he was still paid €220000 - €240000 these years.

He was literally a part timer covering the odd weekend for Marian (others like Rachel English, Aine Lawlor and Damien O'Reilly) also covered and presenting short runs of a discussion show for a few months midweek. It really does make some of the other salaries/fees seem justifiable.

Had a little laugh when Katie Hannon on Saturday view was questioning a Minister if he could seriously ustify increasing the pay of the head of the Department of Health to €290000 with so many unemployed. .. If only she had the opportunity to bring up the question of excessive pay in a forum where the public could have their say........... like on Liveline when she is standing in for the regular host who collects €400000 in fees for a 75 minute caller driven show.

Thought the very same myself..... said ..jaysus... there’s this one querying poor Bobby in for a 80k rise to 290k for a very responsible post and there’s D’Arcy trousering 100k ...more...for what.....:D

Was hard pressed to stop packing the jocks, to be honest.

Sorry ‘bout that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Think its Marie Louise o'Donnell

Never stops talking....on and on and on....Pontificating non stop. Full of her own self importance.

I was trying to imagine myself in a room with her, Michael D and David Norris all talking at the same time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is there NOTHING else happening in the world?

RTE decide what stories will be covered - it's their decision to present it to the audience like the only story in the world is COVID, in order to push the vaccination program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jim Power should have been dropped by RTE following his soft landing predictions back in the day , alas now here he is calling decisions on the vaccines for over 70s 'bizzare' and pushing antigen testing.

Brendan seems to be struggling with the overall 'positive ' input from contributers so far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Texter commenting on Ethan Hawke and Brendan's chat-

"Wasn't he very nice with your nosy questions?"

Gave me a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

humberklog wrote: »
    Texter commenting on Ethan Hawke and Brendan's chat-

"Wasn't he very nice with your nosy questions?"

Gave me a good laugh.

"So what are you up to now, just mooching around?" isnt exactly the type of question you expect to get fired at your typical hollywood a lister. Was enjoyable enough all told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Yesterday's show was so bad, with almost every (relatively privileged) guest talking about the hardships of covid and being more "present" in life now blah, blah, blah, that I didn't bother to tune in today. Gavan Reilly on NT was pretty good...doesn't feel the need to always give his own smart arsed commentary on everything. No show's perfect, but his is a bit more informative and has less pretentious and wannabe 'inspirational' lifestyle sh1te.

I've almost made a full switch to NT, away from my years long favourite slots on radio...Today during weekday mornings and Marian's Sunday slot. Great work Claire and Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Gavan is very good-he served his penance at thejournal, as I recall, but had the good sense to get out of there as soon as he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Gavan is very good-he served his penance at thejournal, as I recall, but had the good sense to get out of there as soon as he could.

Be interesting to know what wedge he is on as compared to Ballsy ?

Have heard him a few times and he is quite competent ...which is about as much as you want from a presenter .

They all start off reasonably competent ...but then the horrible temptation to start smelling themselves kicks in.

They go from presenters ...to personalities.....to celebrities

Human nature I guess.....rum do....innit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

Be interesting to know what wedge he is on as compared to Ballsy ?

Have heard him a few times and he is quite competent ...which is about as much as you want from a presenter .

They all start off reasonably competent ...but then the horrible temptation to start smelling themselves kicks in.

They go from presenters ...to personalities.....to celebrities

Human nature I guess.....rum do....innit ?

Brendan did that in reverse, he seems to be less of a “celebrity” and less of a “character” now, family and kids I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Infoanon wrote: »
    Jim Power should have been dropped by RTE following his soft landing predictions back in the day , alas now here he is calling decisions on the vaccines for over 70s 'bizzare' and pushing antigen testing.

In light of Michael McNamara's speech earlier this week, it's important to understand how RTE operates. If a RyanAir representative comes on an RTE show and gives an opinion on vaccinations that RTE may not like, he is told by Philip Boucher Hayes to stay within the parameters of the subjects that his has expertise. If Jim Power comes on RTE and gives an opinion on vaccinations that RTE may happen to agree with, then he is allowed free reign to offer opinions on subjects that he has no expertise. God knows, Jim doesn't even have any credibility on subjects that he himself would claim to have expertise in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Just dropped by to mention I couldnt be arsed tuning in yesterday. Said to myself I'd move the dial and listen in as I prepare lunch today. What do I hear?

"It is fundamentally critical to the grief process to hold peoples hands as they pass away"

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Just dropped by to mention I couldnt be arsed tuning in yesterday. Said to myself I'd move the dial and listen in as I prepare lunch today. What do I hear?

"It is fundamentally critical to the grief process to hold peoples hands as they pass away"

Good luck.

I listened to the whole show and in my opinion it was average to good.

Nicely balanced, and the interview with Richard Kearney was an unexpected gem.

Yesterday wasn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

elperello wrote: »
    I listened to the whole show and in my opinion it was average to good.

Nicely balanced, and the interview with Richard Kearney was an unexpected gem.

Yesterday wasn't bad either.

Typical of my luck so to give it a break the wrong weekend!

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Typical of my luck so to give it a break the wrong weekend!

Personally thought it was below average - BOC read out survey findings at the beginning of the show which eg showed 3% thought the government were doing a good job managing the pandemic and 84% wanted quarantine for all travellers - the impact seemed to stem and kind of discussion.

Brian Mooney phoned in about the LC,talked in absolute terms about everything from Norma Foley /ASTI to student grading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its usually a good program, i try to skip the first hour,
    as its usually the covid news update
    i,m over 40, i have zero interest in hearing whats going on with the leaving cert exam .
    i,m glad they are keeping him on as a presenter .
    He has a sense of humour and does not have a typical middle class accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

He's sarcastic and unfunny and has a whiny Cork accent.
    People hear different things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

spakman wrote: »
    He's sarcastic and unfunny and has a whiny Cork accent.
    People hear different things!

He says ‘Nooze’ instead of ‘News’.

That’s finishes him for me.

#itsnewsnotnooze

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

In light of Michael McNamara's speech earlier this week, it's important to understand how RTE operates. If a RyanAir representative comes on an RTE show and gives an opinion on vaccinations that RTE may not like, he is told by Philip Boucher Hayes to stay within the parameters of the subjects that his has expertise. If Jim Power comes on RTE and gives an opinion on vaccinations that RTE may happen to agree with, then he is allowed free reign to offer opinions on subjects that he has no expertise. God knows, Jim doesn't even have any credibility on subjects that he himself would claim to have expertise in.

They should get your good self on ....seem to have the low down on vaccines.... really missing a trick here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

From listening this wkend, Damien is light years ahead of BOC, much better in every regard.

Give him the job and move BOC on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

From listening this wkend, Damien is light years ahead of BOC, much better in every regard.

I think he’s brutal tbh. Much prefer O’Connor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jill Kirby live from a fooking submarine, Jesus it’s impossible to listen too.

Ffs you’d think they could get a decent line for Jill Kirby? 3rd time now.

Not impressed with Damien pushing the hospitality agenda - mentioned it 3 times before Phil and Fionnan spoke (impressively) ,then introduces Jill Kirby to speak about. ....hospitality - when her speciality would be Ulster Bank.

Now that Damien is off his hobby horse the show is better - a strong line up is helping this morning.

Ah ffs Bernard O’Shea and Dermot Whelan on mindfulness. I’m out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Who are these clowns. Laughing at their own jokes FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

More bull**** scutter...

Anything for attention..

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

This guys mind has wandered too far to ever come back ..
    Poor fecker ..
    Covid claims another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I think he’s brutal tbh. Much prefer O’Connor.

He found his niche in Countrywide and should stay there as he started off clueless and has become excellent. Bad and all as he is on this show he's still miles better than BOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

O O
    - - - -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Del.Monte wrote: »
    He found his niche in Countrywide and should stay there as he started off clueless and has become excellent. Bad and all as he is on this show he's still miles better than BOC.

This a thousand times

BOC is beyond dreadful so even damo is light years ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clue Girl

Ffs you’d think they could get a decent line for Jill Kirby? 3rd time now.

Desperate line and she repeated the hospitality incentive suggestion at the second go. Regarding the Ulster Bank withdrawal from the Irish Market, she didn’t have much to add. Oh, she said she was fine as she didn’t have any loans with them. Used to find her contributions better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was great to hear the lads, Bernard and Dermot, talking about mindfulness. A wonderful “tool” to help those suffering during these trying, and unprecedented, times.

Hopefully the “message” reached a wide audience. There’s a lot of anger out there. An impotent rage that seems to be gripping a lot of men these days.

I would recommend anyone who is consumed with anger, and fear, over things they have no control over to, at least, try a few mindfulness “exercises”. I know they won’t be disappointed with the results.

Contentment is but a few breathing “exercises” away. Raging against NPHET, the government, women and minorities isn’t doing your mental health any good.

Yoga isn’t a bad shout either.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Was great to hear the lads, Bernard and Dermot, talking about mindfulness. A wonderful “tool” to help those suffering during these trying, and unprecedented, times.

Hopefully the “message” reached a wide audience. There’s a lot of anger out there. An impotent rage that seems to be gripping a lot of men these days.

I would recommend anyone who is consumed with anger, and fear, over things they have no control over to, at least, try a few mindfulness “exercises”. I know they won’t be disappointed with the results.

Contentment is but a few breathing “exercises” away. Raging against NPHET, the government, women and minorities isn’t doing your mental health any good.

Yoga isn’t a bad shout either.

If I was consumed with any of the above, I most certainly wouldn't take any advice of them pair of so called comedians,

Pair of idiots laughing at their unfunny jokes, but once your in the RTE fan club you will be okay because the will get plenty of work regardless of talent.

Turned on today, just for a minute, some lady being interviewed about appreciating buildings. A Decent logical question asked by the presenter: What should we appreciate about architecture.... nice open question

Catch all, kiddie friendly answer from guest: "Everything"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Damien mentioned that some listeners were complaining about the slow roll-out of the vaccine and how we compare unfavourably to the UK.
    Damien then took it upon himself to 'explain' how we are comparing very well and that we'll be on course to be fully vaccinated by the end of July, just like the UK.

The tiny difference being Damo, is that the UK will have vaccinated 10 times our population.He didn't seem to understand the maths.

I'm not sure why so many in media seem to want to put on the green jersey and seek to defend our government rather than holding them to account.

I switched off immediately as soon as I heard Bernard O'Shea being mentioned. I don't mind Dermot Whelan but I've heard him already talk about the meditation thing. Most likely on RTE too.

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    If I was consumed with any of the above, I most certainly wouldn't take any advice of them pair of so called comedians,

Pair of idiots laughing at their unfunny jokes, but once your in the RTE fan club you will be okay because the will get plenty of work regardless of talent.

+1 on this.

It’s a serious topic in the current times when mental health is affecting many. But have an actual expert on, rather than two attention-seeking unfunny muppets giving their opinion.

...but once your in the RTE fan club you will be okay because the will get plenty of work regardless of talent.

Dermot Whelan works for Today FM :confused:

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Turned on today, just for a minute, some lady being interviewed about appreciating buildings. A Decent logical question asked by the presenter: What should we appreciate about architecture.... nice open question

Catch all, kiddie friendly answer from guest: "Everything"....

But you can’t criticize her! She’s a woman!
    #woke

He’s also in the RTÉ camp.

He used to be on The Panel and Republic Of Telly,

Also from the Noel Kelly stable so enough said.

He used to be on The Panel and Republic Of Telly,

Also from the Noel Kelly stable so enough said.

So a popular contributor?

"Connected" would be a more accurate term, see Noel Kelly ref. above.

"Connected" would be a more accurate term, see Noel Kelly red. above.

Have you got an agent yourself or is the implication that there’s some form of “payola” going on?

Have you got an agent yourself or is the implication that there’s some form of “payola” going on?

What? Have I an agent? No, I don't - I'm not on air "talent" nor would I have the need for an agent of any type; but what has that got to do with the topic at hand?

No, I'm not suggesting that Noel Kelly is paying RTE for the services of his clients. You're really goin out of your way to try and get me to say something there that I suspect you know yourself not to be true.

Let me ask you a question now - do you think the contributors are doing this for free?

• Advertisement

No, he contributed nothing to the show only trying to be funny.

Saying that, I used to think he was okay on The Republic Of Telly, but has gone down the PC route since,

Advertisement