Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

She and the people in her bubble really over estimate her PR abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

Well, at least we know she is still delusional anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭swine

Maria Bailey rehabilitation interview and Keith Barry discount codes. How far the Saturday slot has fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭golondrinas

I’d say she is envious of the easy ride Alan Farrell got with his claims for his accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ah bollocks looks like I missed GOLD. Have some tedious chores to do today, hopefully the podcast will be up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

RTE don't stand by Keith Barry's opinions, they predict and will be advocating for permanent lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just switched this on - how bad was the Keith Barry segment - awful ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

He's insufferable.

Ah bollocks looks like I missed GOLD. Have some tedious chores to do today, hopefully the podcast will be up soon.

As I said before, to be fair, Maria's physio friend is really very good at what she does, doesn't overcharge etc. She worked wonders on me, such that I didn't need further surgery.

• Advertisement

Brendan says "you are part of those crowds too" to someone who reported social gatherings in Blackrock. How dare he say that, the person was likely going about their bidi rss legitimately shopping for provisions and merely observing, as I have, others deliberately gathering with coffee *very* close-up as if the threat had now completely disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Maria found her calling as a TD, I wonder would she have found her calling if there wasn't a €100,000 salary plus another €50,00 or €60.00 in expenses,

These politicians like to give the impression that the are working for the people that elected them, when all the are doing is feathering their own nests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

mgn wrote: »
    Maria found her calling as a TD, I wonder would she have found her calling if there wasn't a €100,000 salary plus another €50,00 or €60.00 in expenses,

These politicians like to give the impression that the are working for the people that elected them, when all the are doing is feathering their own nests.

She said something bizarre- she said she liked politics but not the public side of it, something like that?

So basically, she loves the perks. Not so fond of the work itself....

She’s an absolutely liability to herself every time she opens her trap in front of a microphone.

She said something bizarre- she said she liked politics but not the public side of it, something like that?

So basically, she loves the perks. Not so fond of the work itself....

She’s an absolutely liability to herself every time she opens her trap in front of a microphone.

Politics is the last thing she should be in beyond councillor level.

Joan Freeman mustn’t bother with insurance. The rest of us continue to be outraged by the high cost of ins.

I know Maria Bailey said that Joan Freeman said that it was okay that she be named on the show, but I don't think it was right. By name dropping Joan Freeman, this gives herself a credibility boost - people will say "well if Joan Freeman, who is a decent person, has time for Maria Bailey, then maybe she is not so bad". I don't think it was right to use Joan Freeman in this way.

She did try for a moment to go down the line she went with SOR "I was hurt", but I think Brendan steered her away from that course as it backfired so badly before. Lots of people suffering mild to moderate injuries every day from which we pretty quickly recover of the course of a few days to a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Yeah but I guess the question is where exactly is the line drawn here. What exactly constitutes the pound of flesh that should be paid as compensation for her wrongdoing - Is it enough that she loses is no longer a TD? Is it enough that she be booted off the FG ticket and out of a job? Should the punishment be extended to her personal life, so that she is hounded by journalists and social media?

It was probably right that she lose her jobs. But my opinion would be that as soon as she is no longer a public representative, she should be extended the same rights to privacy as any other private individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

"Did your family kind of have you on suicide watch at one point?"

As it turns out, they "kind of" didn't...

O'Connor, Tubridy and D'Arcy. 3 cheeks of the same ar**hole.
    And zero crack between the 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

A bit of man bashing going on now.

"Did your family kind of have you on suicide watch at one point?"

As it turns out, they "kind of" didn't...

O'Connor, Tubridy and D'Arcy. 3 cheeks of the same ar**hole.
    And zero crack between the 3 of them.

You're forgetting Joe Duffy here :eek:

Yeah but I guess the question is where exactly is the line drawn here. What exactly constitutes the pound of flesh that should be paid as compensation for her wrongdoing - Is it enough that she loses is no longer a TD? Is it enough that she be booted off the FG ticket and out of a job? Should the punishment be extended to her personal life, so that she is hounded by journalists and social media?

It was probably right that she lose her jobs. But my opinion would be that as soon as she is no longer a public representative, she should be extended the same rights to privacy as any other private individual.

If she wants privacy now what is she doing on the radio giving her sob story, all its doing is bringing attention on herself.

Although I have a feeling that there is some other motive behind the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was a chance to get a mention of her dad and her kids, basically use them to garner public support.

It won't work.

Although I have a feeling that there is some other motive behind the interview.

Yeah I'm curious as to why she would come out now, and the mention of Joan Freeman has me worried as to why it was important for Maria Bailey to align herself with somebody held in high esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Didn't hear the Maria Bailey interview. Was humanity crossed at any point?

Indo interview and prominent RTE weekend slot. The rehabilitation is truly on the go. Used to be Mary Hanafin on it for a while. Her party trick was for the interviewer to bring up her deceased husband and she'd start to cry. She forgot that as Minister for SW she shafted over every pensioner, widow and widower in the country.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Didn't hear the Maria Bailey interview. Was humanity crossed at any point?

Indo interview and prominent RTE weekend slot. The rehabilitation is truly on the go. Used to be Mary Hanafin on it for a while. Her party trick was for the interviewer to bring up her deceased husband and she'd start to cry. She forgot that as Minister for SW she shafted over every pensioner, widow and widower in the country.

Her deceased father got a mention and so did her poor kids, who she was unable to bring to the swings with all the attention in the media.

And the usual sob story after that, the tears started at one stage, but i think it was pre recorded so the cut that bit out.

Her deceased father got a mention and so did her poor kids, who she was unable to bring to the swings with all the attention in the media.

I can see both sides of this. I think she was making a bit much of the fact that she couldn't push her kids on the swing, but then again you can be 100% sure that if she did push her kids on the swing then it would have been on one of the tabloids the next morning with some sarcastic commentary.

I can see both sides of this. I think she was making a bit much of the fact that she couldn't push her kids on the swing, but then again you can be 100% sure that if she did push her kids on the swing then it would have been on one of the tabloids the next morning with some sarcastic commentary.

She has no one to blame but herself, its the like of her that never have enough, she had a very well paid job and career but still wanted to screw more out of the system.
    The likes of her will get zero sympatry from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Yeah I'm curious as to why she would come out now, and the mention of Joan Freeman has me worried as to why it was important for Maria Bailey to align herself with somebody held in high esteem.

An ngo or appointment to some charity or other is in the pipeline, can see it a mile off

An ngo or appointment to some charity or other is in the pipeline, can see it a mile off

If I were a betting man that would be worth a few euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

If I were a betting man that would be worth a few euros.

They have to get her back on the gravy train!

They have to get her back on the gravy train!

No other reason for the sob story today other than that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

She loves politics but not so much dealing with the public.

Just the trough so.

The Maria Bailey interview was pre-recorded.

An absolute farce and shamefully soft interview from RTÉ and O’Connor.

Bailey should really think twice about doing any media work, she really doesn’t help herself.

Her refusal to accept that this affair was entirely of her own making will ensure people don’t forgive her.

She ticked all of the boxes: suicide, mental health, my nerves, my sick dad, my children, Caroline Flack, sexism, feminism, double standards, etc.

I’m sure despite it all that considering she’s a Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown resident still have some allies in RTÉ.

She did try for a moment to go down the line she went with SOR "I was hurt", but I think Brendan steered her away from that course as it backfired so badly before. Lots of people suffering mild to moderate injuries every day from which we pretty quickly recover of the course of a few days to a couple of weeks.

Of course she “ was hurt”. So would you if you were told you were in for a soft big payout. Then it all backfired spectacularly. Then you adviser allegedly takes down photos of you both together ( that’s what I read somewhere ). You feel cast adrift. Not cast down ha ha!
    Last year I was on a pedestrian crossing in a shopping centre. A woman drove at me without stopping until she got right against me. I fell onto her bonnet. I hurt both my hands saving myself. After she asked me was I ok I made a few smart remarks about her not seeing the crossing and told her to be on her way. A couple of weeks later while playing golf with a friend who is an insurance managerI casually mentioned the episode. He informed me that if I had sat down on the crossing and played the game I would have gotten Around €32,000.
    I just couldn’t do it. I don’t need medals or accolades for doing what I perceive as the right thing. Then again I realise that if we all did a Maria Bailey there wouldn’t be much left in the kitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Joan Freeman wouldn't be held very hight in my esteem. Two sides of the same coin to me.

Joan Freeman wouldn't be held very hight in my esteem. Two sides of the same coin to me.

How very astute of you. A lot couldn’t see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

That was absolutely unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

That card trumps all
    Jaysus, bit taken aback by the comments. I think I may need to look over my Maria Bailey case notes again.

Does she not forfeit those rights when she does an obviously contrived interview like this morning? It had only one purpose and that was to begin her political rehabilitation. Most current politicians are self serving locusts and she is typical of the species

Does she not forfeit those rights when she does an obviously contrived interview like this morning? It had only one purpose and that was to begin her political rehabilitation. Most current politicians are self serving locusts and she is typical of the species

Funny I also thought she wanted back in the public eye because she has a soft ( ngo Type ) job lined up. You know like Tubridys cousin who got pitchforked into Goal until controversy hit. Lightweight now made for life. In Europe.:confused:

• Advertisement

Funny I also thought she wanted back in the public eye because she has a soft ( ngo Type ) job lined up. You know like Tubridys cousin who got pitchforked into Trocaire until controversy hit. Lightweight now made for life. In Europe.:confused:

Expand caller :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭golondrinas1

Expand caller :confused:

Sorry confused Trocaire with Goal. .Nice to get a good gig with either. Have a sister in law who lived close to ( South Dublin) one of the head honchos in one of these outfits. She was always mad jealous of the wife and kids ( of said head honcho) only shopping in Brown Thomas. Charidee me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Sorry confused Trocaire with Goal. .Nice to get a good gig with either. Have a sister in law who lived close to ( South Dublin) one of the head honchos in one of these outfits. She was always mad jealous of the wife and kids ( of said head honcho) only shopping in Brown Thomas. Charidee me arse.

Most of us with with any intelligence have copped on to these beuers a long time ago.

Any charidee with a CEO and Management team won't see any of this posters hard earned.

Only thing they will get from this poster is a swift two fingers.......

Bailey should feel regret and embarrassment over her pathetic acting, fake tears and creaking voice interview yesterday; but I suspect she and her team think it was a success.

She was clearly coached in how she conducted herself during it too. Pause before answering any question, speak very slowly in a low voice, slight pause between each word, mention you’re nervous a few times, creaking voice, fake tears, etc. - all designed to court sympathy. I strongly suspect I know who prepped her for that interview but I’m not prone to throw out her name without proof.

Bailey should feel regret and embarrassment over her pathetic acting, fake tears and creaking voice interview yesterday; but I suspect she and her team think it was a success.

She was clearly coached in how she conducted herself during it too. Pause before answering any question, speak very slowly in a low voice, slight pause between each word, mention you’re nervous a few times, creaking voice, fake tears, etc. - all designed to court sympathy. I strongly suspect I know who prepped her that interview but I’m not prone to throw out her name without proof.

Even BOC was asking his questions In a slow, low voice too.

I am starting to think he was in on the act as well.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Even BOC was asking his questions In a slow, low voice too.

I am starting to think he was in on the act as well.

You could argue she sucked him in with her own acting and her "I'm very nervous Brendan" from the outset, but the whole thing felt very staged.

• Advertisement

Very surprised to hear Rory O'Neill on another live RTE show after the payout they had to make the last time. Is there a twenty second delay on the show or what?

Very surprised to hear Rory O'Neill on another live RTE show after the payout they had to make the last time. Is there a twenty second delay on the show or what?

I missed that. What did he say? What was the payout for?

I could tell a story about that man but I’d be banned. Not a nice individual in my personal experience.

Just heard on the BOC radio show that 40% are worried about kids returning to school in the latest polls

By my reckoning that means 60% are happy for kids to return to school and aren't worried.

But sure focus on the negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ó Neill ignoring the fact that unless vast majority of all ages vaccinated there is scope for vaccine resistant strains spreading from the unvaccinated, irrisponsible talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ó Neill a bit dim, obviously that doctor would support quarantine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement