Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Only back in after a long walk - five minutes of this and the good of the walk undone. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't do RTE in any form anymore. Too depressing, always worst case scenario, compliant with political correctness to the point of being terrified that someone might say something against PC. BOC has a voice for a funeral or tragedy. LOL.

You just have to listen to Joe Duffy, a ghoul and a misery merchant every single day and the Late Late Show, full of Covid, cancer, death. Claire Byrne, vacuous. I gather this from threads on Radio and TV here BTW.

So on Sundays I listen to Gavan Reilly. Good, fast paced and informative. Just my opinion of course. But some people will never turn the dial no matter how awful some RTE shows are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

*Everyone's a winner " declares BOC. Why is there no discussion about the potential criminal liability these gangsters could /should be facing?

To be fair I think he said that sarcastically, at least that’s how I picked up it from his tone at the time.

The doctor was fond of giving out though, about everything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

NIMAN wrote: »
    He sounded on edge for her interview, afraid she'd say something controversial.

It reminded me the way his tv show went. Started off very good but it got to the stage where he'd stop his guests saying anything that could potentially be considered controversial, and as a result it went to pot.

Today he ended up by saying "well that is only your opinion " to her. Yes we know it's her opinion Brendan, we just heard her say it, stop covering your and rtes ass.

I think he and RTÉ ran scared after there was a payout about something that was said on his tv show. I have forgotten the details though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

To be fair I think he said that sarcastically, at least that’s how I picked up it from his tone at the time.

I would like to think that but I found his attitude very blasé. BOC didn't seem to get that if Davys bought the discounted bonds that then increased in value that the main beneficiary would be Davys.

BOC tried to make the whole episode dissappear with the €4m fine but his contributor from Trinity was having none of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

So on Sundays I listen to Gavan Reilly. Good, fast paced and informative. Just my opinion of course. But some people will never turn the dial no matter how awful some RTE shows are.

I've done the same. I might dip into BOC on Saturday but end up switching off. Morning Ireland (hard going sometimes) and the News at 1 is about it now during the week. I don't mind all the Covid stuff, but the quality over the last year has fallen off a cliff...BOC, CB, Sarah and Cormac doing their Maura and Daithi routine etc.

Infoanon wrote: »
    I would like to think that but I found his attitude very blasé. BOC didn't seem to get that if Davys bought the discounted bonds that then increased in value that the main beneficiary would be Davys.

BOC tried to make the whole episode dissappear with the €4m fine but his contributor from Trinity was having none of it.

She was very good, she’s been very strong on this story in the papers all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She was very good, she’s been very strong on this story in the papers all week.

Pity she wasn't so hot when she sat on the board of Ulster Bank during the boom times as they threw fuel on the fire of our property collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Only way we will get rid of these tools is hit the lads and lasses who perpetuate the deeds.

Nobody should be allowed walk away with the trouser pockets full and the ‘pinshon’ secure.

Hit the fcuuuhkers IN THE POCKET who did the deed, no corporate responsibility, no hiding in the herd, no big returns as if nothing happened.

Can’t be allowed to happen...

Pity she wasn't so hot when she sat on the board of Ulster Bank during the boom times as they threw fuel on the fire of our property collapse.

Wasn’t aware of that, that does put a different perspective on things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Why is it "absolutely sickening" to see the British bolting ahead with their vaccination programme? Is this a competition or what?.... Childish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why is it "absolutely sickening" to see the British bolting ahead with their vaccination programme? Is this a competition or what?.... Childish

Particularly as many of those receiving the vaccine are Irish citizens in the North or Irish emigrants living in English cities.

At it again "it would absolutely sicken ya" on all over 40s being vaccinated by early summer in the UK when going through the papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Who is this, Princess Latifa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Who is this, Princess Latifa?

another snowflake "journalist"

Women are sick of saying "please don't rape me". Give me a break.

Women in supermarkets are scared? Is Brendan not going to challenge her on any of this sensationalist nonsense?

more man bashing

More utter crap - evil ****ers are evil ****ers and no amount of education is going to make a bean of difference. Serious prison sentences with hard labour might achieve something.

Not all men are like this - if I hear this again..............off course they are not or the pavements would be littered with rape and murder victims. This is the feminist version of BLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Its bad enough haven't to listen to her without the other clown encouraging her.

He starting to sound like he is embarrassed to be a male these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Women in supermarkets are scared? Is Brendan not going to challenge her on any of this sensationalist nonsense?

I have to say, this is not my experience as a woman. I don’t twitch with fear in the biscuit aisle. Caitlin Moran was on Twitter the other day saying she’s afraid to leave her house after dark, and I thought, what a load of BS. Also strengthened my resolution to stay the hell off Twitter.

Also find it a bit uncomfortable that so much attention is on the (incredibly upsetting and horrific) Sarah Everard case, when stabbings happen daily in London and no one seems to give a s**t. Certainly not Caitlin Moran in her middle-class hamlet. Also a 16 year old girl of (I think) Chinese origin was stabbed to death in Wales on the 5th of March and it has barely made the news.

Then Caitlin was forced into a 180 on Twitter, where she had to apologise to trans women for using the word “womb” in the description of her fear. I would say the world has gone mad, but really it’s just Twitter insanity that no one in the real world has any time for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Brendan firmly established as a member of Ray Darcy's anti-man club after that. Almost every program on RTE's schedule this week trotting out this stuff, unopposed.

What all the leftie, snowflakes, influencers and radio presenter bandwagoners seem to overlook is that there is sub-genre of society that prey on us all - whether on the streets or in our homes - male or female they don't care. Some of these creatures cannot even be mentioned as that would be racist and I'm not thinking of recent arrivals to our shores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

Wonder has she ever met a rocket scientist at a dinner party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is another thread on the go at the minute, no doubt based on a media report, that nearly every single young woman in the UK, has been the victim of sexual harassment.

No I find that one hard to believe, nearly every young woman? That is millions of women. So millions of women have been the victim of sexual harrassment? Then something is VERY wrong in society and the world if there is any truth in this. Means there are likely hundreds of thousands or even millions of sexual predators on the streets in the UK.

Or else, how they measure harrassment is so wide that everyone qualifies?

Shelga wrote: »
    I have to say, this is not my experience as a woman. I don’t twitch with fear in the biscuit aisle. Caitlin Moran was on Twitter the other day saying she’s afraid to leave her house after dark, and I thought, what a load of BS. Also strengthened my resolution to stay the hell off Twitter.

Also find it a bit uncomfortable that so much attention is on the (incredibly upsetting and horrific) Sarah Everard case, when stabbings happen daily in London and no one seems to give a s**t. Certainly not Caitlin Moran in her middle-class hamlet. Also a 16 year old girl of (I think) Chinese origin was stabbed to death in Wales on the 5th of March and it has barely made the news.

Then Caitlin was forced into a 180 on Twitter, where she had to apologise to trans women for using the word “womb” in the description of her fear. I would say the world has gone mad, but really it’s just Twitter insanity that no one in the real world has any time for.

I think this is key...probably all social media. It's a shame that radio seems to be going in a similar direction. Stick to a strict 'progressive' narrative, devoid of any nuance for fear of being shamed on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

first female neurosurgeon in Ireland that's mad !

very interesting interview (makes me sitting here moving live customer servers a bit boring !)

RTE's reporting of sexual assault is as balanced and reasoned as their coverage of COVID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

And there’s no easy way of saying this, but the horror and tragedy of the Sarah Everard case is so newsworthy precisely because it is so unusual. And the fact that it involves an active Met officer, I suppose.

The way certain people are shrieking on, it’s like they think they live in downtown Johannesburg. Attacks of this kind, by a total stranger, are incredibly rare, and I’d rather keep some perspective than be whipped up into a terrified frenzy.

Shelga wrote: »
    And there’s no easy way of saying this, but the horror and tragedy of the Sarah Everard case is so newsworthy precisely because it is so unusual. And the fact that it involves an active Met officer, I suppose.

The way certain people are shrieking on, it’s like they think they live in downtown Johannesburg. Attacks of this kind, by a total stranger, are incredibly rare, and I’d rather keep some perspective than be whipped up into a terrified frenzy.

I wonder why this case in particular?

As mentioned, other women are the victims of murder in recent news, but for some reason this one seems to have changed the narrative.

Is it because of this case that someone in Wales called for a 6pm curfew on men outside?

• Advertisement

I think we already knew the answer to that one. This is the problem. Not that real issues shouldn't be discussed (such as sexual violence against women), but when exaggerated claims are made that the presenter challenges or at least questions them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

RTE's reporting of sexual assault is as balanced and reasoned as their coverage of COVID.

Well you know RTE's new slogan '' truth matters'' .

Note; As long as it suits the Government and the twitter snowflakes.

"How innocent and deluded we all were" thanks for including me in your sweeping generalisation ....:rolleyes:

An Irish kid was stabbed by two African kids in Cork last year, but I would not be allowed to come on any media and say "African kids need to be spoken to about the use of knives", as this would also be considered as deeming them all guilty because of the actions of a few. After the Traveller funerals that ignored the COVID, you would not be permitted to come on any media and say "Travellers need to be given education about COVID guidelines", as this would also be considered as deeming them all guilty because of the actions of a few. Yet one high profile murder happens in another country and the media are allowed to push this myth that all men are potential rapists who are in need of education.

The biggest problem is that there is no male radio presenter who is brave enough to speak out on behalf of men and say "I'm not having that, you cant call us all rapists". They have all seen what happened to other vocal male presenters and they want to be able to pay their mortgages. This is how we end up with cowards like Ray D'Arcy and (sadly now) Brendan behind the microphones who just accept the narrative and don't challenge it like they would if it were ANY other demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

An Irish kid was stabbed by two African kids in Cork last year, but I would not be allowed to come on any media and say "African kids need to be spoken to about the use of knives", as this would also be considered as deeming them all guilty because of the actions of a few. After the Traveller funerals that ignored the COVID, you would not be permitted to come on any media and say "Travellers need to be given education about COVID guidelines", as this would also be considered as deeming them all guilty because of the actions of a few. Yet one high profile murder happens in another country and the media are allowed to push this myth that all men are potential rapists who are in need of education.

The biggest problem is that there is no male radio presenter who is brave enough to speak out on behalf of men and say "I'm not having that, you cant call us all rapists". They have all seen what happened to other vocal male presenters and they want to be able to pay their mortgages. This is how we end up with cowards like Ray D'Arcy and (sadly now) Brendan behind the microphones who just accept the narrative and don't challenge it like they would if it were ANY other demographic.

I’ve started listening to Talkradio Uk. It’s incredible to hear the presenters voice opinions which would cause them to lose their job here, even though they’ve the normal common sense opinions which most of us share. The difference really hits you.

Newstalk used give me some hope until they capitulated over George Hook, now you can almost here the fear in their voices, none of them will say anything which contravenes the ‘correct’ view.

Rather ironically, Piers Morgan would be the type of presenter who would challenge the narrative that all men are a danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

hamburgham wrote: »
    I’ve started listening to Talkradio Uk. It’s incredible to hear the presenters voice opinions which would cause them to lose their job here, even though they’ve the normal common sense opinions which most of us share. The difference really hits you.

Newstalk used give me some hope until they capitulated over George Hook, now you can almost here the fear in their voices, none of them will say anything which contravenes the ‘correct’ view.

I listen to Neil Prenderville on Cork Red FM. in the mornings.
    He gives everyone a voice, recommend. Finished with RTE and Newstalk.

Coming up on news at one
    looking at the numbers with scally.. takeaway pints bad bad thing.. nursing home visits, bad nursing homes breaking restrictions re visits... sheebeens more bad bad people....
    look over there while a section of our community seem to be immune from any covid restrictions, "we like the benefits but not the rules" 5km my arse as Jim royle might say

ending the show with that terrible Arcade Fire song.
    the theme tune of the show at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Coming up on news at one
    looking at the numbers with scally.. takeaway pints bad bad thing.. nursing home visits, bad nursing homes breaking restrictions re visits... sheebeens more bad bad people....
    look over there while a section of our community seem to be immune from any covid restrictions, "we like the benefits but not the rules" 5km my arse as Jim royle might say

Just looked at the RTE page for Katie Hannon. There is a text number and email.

But hey, even if we did comment I doubt they wouldn't read anything to do with the Travellers anyway. The Government, Pavee Point, and Media are complicit in this silencing of our views.

But then again I could be surprised :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I listen to Neil Prenderville on Cork Red FM. in the mornings.
    He gives everyone a voice, recommend. Finished with RTE and Newstalk.

Being a Dub, I’ve never tuned in but I might give him a try. Have to support stations who are brave enough to let their presenters voice the views the majority of us hold or at least a range of views.

• Advertisement

first female neurosurgeon in Ireland that's mad !

very interesting interview (makes me sitting here moving live customer servers a bit boring !)

Well it's not exactly rocket science is it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Rather ironically, Piers Morgan would be the type of presenter who would challenge the narrative that all men are a danger.

He's just as much a troll as Katie Hopkins

Being a Dub, I’ve never tuned in but I might give him a try. Have to support stations who are brave enough to let their presenters voice the views the majority of us hold or at least a range of views.

Most important thing is balance,otherwise the bots would dominate. Ecause they have nothing else to do.

You’d have idiots like those infesting Twitter and Instagram calling for everything to be opened and when 8 or 10 thousand new cases a day arise disown all interest .

Nah mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NiaL Boylan isnt afraid to say it but he is a pariah amongst the respectable media set

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    NiaL Boylan isnt afraid to say it but he is a pariah amongst the respectable media set

:confused:

How do you make that out?

Did you survey the ‘respectable media set’....

Who are they as a matter of interest.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Treppen wrote: »
    He's just as much a troll as Katie Hopkins
    Yep - and just as insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

An Irish kid was stabbed by two African kids in Cork last year, but I would not be allowed to come on any media and say "African kids need to be spoken to about the use of knives",

178 people were hospitalised due to stabbings in 2019, 10% up on 2018. So saying "African kids need to be spoken to about the use of knives" would be a rather stupid thing to say, whether it was said in the media or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Hamburgham, Its focus is around Cork, I'm not living there. But he gives all views a fair hearing. He doesn't get angry with people whose views he mightn't agree with. A breath of fresh air. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Del.Monte wrote: »
    More utter crap - evil ****ers are evil ****ers and no amount of education is going to make a bean of difference. Serious prison sentences with hard labour might achieve something.

Not all men are like this - if I hear this again..............off course they are not or the pavements would be littered with rape and murder victims. This is the feminist version of BLM.

Here here, most infuriating thing is that these NGO types are often fellow travellers of Amnesty, Civil Liberties, Penal Reform, Labour - all groups who support a person’s right to attack innocent people and suffer no consequences

They just get more upset when victims are ethnic, gay or female

Their statistics are nonsense, their CEOs are immoral and corrupt and their solution is attention seeking and deliberately useless - ie a poster campaign asking people to stop committing violent crimes

If they really cared about justice it would be justice for all male victims and they’d be protesting outside Judges’ house

They are just upset that this happened in the UK so the “Irish Catholic masculinity” cannot be blamed

Worse thing is how divisive these groups are!

They are as bad as the Northern ones who won’t support the other sides right to justice and answers

Defund the NGOs, build prisons, mandatory sentencing and recruit real police from the Mainland - pay them more than what they get for security jobs

On another note, O’Connor likes to present himself as a maverick but at the end of the day he says and does the right thing at the right time to collect a pay cheque despite no discernible comedic, broadcasting, writing or journalistic talent

Here here, most infuriating thing is that these NGO types are often fellow travellers of Amnesty, Civil Liberties, Penal Reform, Labour - all groups who support a person’s right to attack innocent people and suffer no consequences

They just get more upset when victims are ethnic, gay or female

Their statistics are nonsense, their CEOs are immoral and corrupt and their solution is attention seeking and deliberately useless - ie a poster campaign asking people to stop committing violent crimes

If they really cared about justice it would be justice for all male victims and they’d be protesting outside Judges’ house

They are just upset that this happened in the UK so the “Irish Catholic masculinity” cannot be blamed

Worse thing is how divisive these groups are!

They are as bad as the Northern ones who won’t support the other sides right to justice and answers

Defund the NGOs, build prisons, mandatory sentencing and recruit real police from the Mainland - pay them more than what they get for security jobs

On another note, O’Connor likes to present himself as a maverick but at the end of the day he says and does the right thing at the right time to collect a pay check despite no discernible comedic, broadcasting, writing or journalistic talent

Eh..... what’s that all about dude....

Do you expect presenters on NPR to be tools who rock the boat.

Regulations pal, regulations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement