Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I have close relatives who are GPs. I will ask tomorrow (too late now tonight, plus I’m in bed) but I g JH agent heard anything of the sort. And that would most likely have come out before now.

I thought they got a fee, something like €15, from anyone calling up for a Covid “consultation”. Instead of their usual €60 consultancy fee.

Don’t believe they get anything from the government for sending people to get tested.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I thought they got a fee, something like €15, from anyone calling up for a Covid “consultation”. Instead of their usual €60 consultancy fee.

Don’t believe they get anything from the government for sending people to get tested.

Well to be fair that’s a completely separate issue and question. I’ll ask in the morning and revert when I have an answer.

dvcireland wrote: »
    there was a man in wicklow, killed in a fatal car accident, listied as a covid-19 death.

I have been told that hospitals get paid for covid-19 deaths.

You need to provide verified links to support these kind of claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think she is wheeled on as the token young person.

I think it's a bit reckless of RTE to keep bringing her on. She's a bit of a loose cannon and always seems to be on the very of saying something libelous. Have her on to talk about entertainment for sure, or eating disorders (as she lost a huge amount of weight in fairness to her), or drinking. But not to lecture us on vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

"Anti Vaxxers will have a 'field day' with the news of the AZ vaccine being pulled" says Brendan. Instead of maybe acknowledging that anybody who said that the vaccines were rushed might have actually had a point and that RTE may have been wrong to tell everybody to "take any vaccine, they are all safe, they are all effective".

Haven't you got the chip in your head yet?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Haven't you got the chip in your head yet?

No, you can have mine Dan, not that you would need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Can’t speak to that, but I can tell you the hospital payment question (which was the point raised earlier) is not true.
    thanks for dispelling that hospital payment misiformation

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

"Anti Vaxxers will have a 'field day' with the news of the AZ vaccine being pulled" says Brendan. Instead of maybe acknowledging that anybody who said that the vaccines were rushed might have actually had a point and that RTE may have been wrong to tell everybody to "take any vaccine, they are all safe, they are all effective".
    How does this show that the vaccines were rushed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Mark Cagney: "I know I'm in Marian's studio..." Oh I wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Jaysus Mark Cagney doesn't half like talking about himself! You'd swear he was Keith Richards the way he was going on at one stage. Beat on the steet my arse!
    While the conversation about his stroke was interesting enough and informative, the rest was just hubris. He's one of the most self-absorbed people I've ever heard on radio and that's saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Really enjoying this interview, Cagney has a good voice for radio. He stood in for Cudihy a few times on news talk and eas streets ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Never a fan of Cagney

Something off about him

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jaysus Mark Cagney doesn't half like talking about himself! You'd swear he was Keith Richards the way he was going on at one stage.
    While the conversation about his stroke was interesting enough and informative, the rest was just hubris. He's one of the most self-absorbed people I've ever heard on radio and that's saying something.

He’d a serious coke addiction in the 80’s, came out the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jaysus Mark Cagney doesn't half like talking about himself! You'd swear he was Keith Richards the way he was going on at one stage.

He really does lay it on thick!

Jaysus Mark Cagney doesn't half like talking about himself! You'd swear he was Keith Richards the way he was going on at one stage. Beat on the steet my arse!

Sums it up well. Huge ego.

The keith Richards of tv3 breakfast tv ffs...

Radio off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I never liked him and after that interview I now know why.
    Thinks he is some sort of superstar, never heard a man of his age so full of himself,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Could you imagine Mark Cagney being interviewed by Dave Fanning or vice versa? What a battle to get a word in edgeways at a million miles an hour. Didnt mind it personally though, thought it was quite a powerful story in the main.

mgn wrote: »
    I never liked him and after that interview I now know why.
    Thinks he is some sort of superstar, never heard a man of his age so full of himself,

Over the years he’s always been like that, ego crazed

He’s always centre of attention in his mind.

The rare times I saw that breakfast show he hosted he could be downright nasty to the co presenters particularly the women.

I shudder to think what he was like high on cocaine

Over the years he’s always been like that, ego crazed

I shudder to think what he was like high on cocaine

Probably had the opposite affect on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

pc7 wrote: »

I'd take stories of 'serious' coke addiction(especially in Ireland of the eighties) with a pinch of salt if that's not mixing metaphors somewhat. It wasn't exactly boomtime London or New York in Dublin back then. Quite the opposite.
    It tends to be overstated and usually the source of the stories are from the 'addict' themselves. Cagney is a classic example of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

dvcireland wrote: »
    thanks for dispelling that hospital payment misiformation

do you tend to believe everything you're told?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'd take stories of 'serious' coke addiction(especially in Ireland of the eighties) with a pinch of salt if that's not mixing metaphors somewhat. It wasn't exactly boomtime London or New York in Dublin back then. Quite the opposite.
    It tends to be overstated and usually the source of the stories are from the 'addict' themselves. Cagney is a classic example of this.

I take alot of the "2 bottles" of vodka a day"stories from a lot of the celebs with a large dose of salt as well

I take alot of the "2 bottles" of vodka a day"stories from a lot of the celebs with a large dose of salt as well

That's like anytime you hear the boxer Kenny Egan on about his drink addiction, you would swear he was a down and out alcoholic living on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"So ye never had to let anyone go, right?"

"We had 34 staff, we were down to 3 and now back up to 12."

Firm bollocking on the way for programme researcher later methinks.

pc7 wrote: »

I found it a little odd how they pussyfooted around the topics of drugs, only being willing to say that he lived the "excesses" that came with being famous. Seemed like Brendan was deliberately told not to mention drugs specifically, or maybe he was worried about some RTE stars being included in the group of those who were similarly excessive at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The topics and guests are just all so forgettable in the end.

RTE is afraid of their lives to rock the boat on anything, Travellers, women, politics, Covid, asylum seekers, you get the drift. It is more bland than tepid water most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That's like anytime you hear the boxer Kenny Egan on about his drink addiction, you would swear he was a down and out alcoholic living on the streets.

They’re all the same. Column inches and publicity

Worst con of all was Colin Farrell

Ridiculous immature stories contrived by him and his team about him being some Hollywood hellraiser..

And all the recent cons about being all clean and mature and zen!

Fooking lightweight mouthpieces the lot a them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

walshb wrote: »
    They’re all the same. Column inches and publicity

Worst con of all was Colin Farrell

Ridiculous immature stories contrived by him and his team about him being some Hollywood hellraiser..

And all the recent cons about being all clean and mature and zen!

Fooking lightweight mouthpieces the lot a them!!

You are correct Bee.

I am fully convinced that the print media have a lot to answer in relation to stirring stuff up in the Covid and other issues.

Most of them negative and most very obviously tilted towards stirring up the populace and selling newsprint.

Think the AZ issues.......

Kind of hit and run attacks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The topics and guests are just all so forgettable in the end.

RTE is afraid of their lives to rock the boat on anything, Travellers, women, politics, Covid, asylum seekers, you get the drift. It is more bland than tepid water most of the time.

What's there to "rock the boat" with Covid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

What's there to "rock the boat" with Covid?

The fact that it’s pretty harmless to at least 98% of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Tell that to Belgium, Czech , Italy, France etc....

I thought he was pretty bad though. Kenny Egan (the alter ego of the boxer Kenneth Egan) used to go on the beer for days on end from what I remember. Serious binges.

Says who?

Oh cry me a river Kate O’Connell giving out about the public interacting with politicians.

“You won’t attract people into public life”

Utter claptrap

One glance at the salaries these “public representatives” pay themselves ....

That muppet Corrigan and the only ex TD pharmacist in the country on again.

That muppet Corrigan and the only ex TD pharmacist in the country on again.

Corrigan sounds permanently half scuttered

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭golondrinas1

“You won’t attract people into public life”

Utter claptrap

One glance at the salaries these “public representatives” pay themselves ....

And don't forget " their chances".

• Advertisement

She’s going an awful lot harder on Leo than I expected.

Not a fan of KOC but she’s dead right in varadkar

The “Leo” project has got nowhere.

He over sold himself and completely under delivered

Corrigan sounds permanently half scuttered

He talks scutter every time he opens his gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭golondrinas1

Probably a Coventry follower.

No love lost. Part of it stems back to her cat fights with Eoghan Murphy in the constituency. She called him and others Leo’s choir boys

Not a fan of Madigan but she’s dead right in varadkar

He over sold himself and completely under delivered

It’s Kate O’Connell, not Madigan.

It’s Kate O’Connell, not Madigan.

Thanks butters, I’m half asleep today

Probably a Coventry follower.

She is. And she very vocally backed him in the leadership battle.

Thanks butters, I’m half asleep today

Best way to listen to this!

• Advertisement

If she was still a TD she would be out defending and praising him, all the same.

Advertisement