Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I was listening to the interview with the singer / TV show host. Una? she was in a minor pop band and he kept asking if they would do a reunion tour, I wouldn't have thought that they were that big to be considered for a reunion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Elmo wrote: »
    I was listening to the interview with the singer / TV show host. Una? she was in a minor pop band and he kept asking if they would do a reunion tour, I wouldn't have thought that they were that big to be considered for a reunion?

They haven’t run out of money yet Elmo so a bit early for the ‘reunion tour’.

No doubt that Pat would shell out the eurons for these chancers though whenever the time comes.

Any sign of Neil Diamond doing the 20th final tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

That rant was a bit comical alright

The other contributor, a hospital consultant, can't remember her name, didn't even pause to draw breath. I thought she was going to suffocate mid rant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bossdrum wrote: »
    Did I hear Nora mention she was a victim of domestic abuse from her husband for 9 years?
    Is this a different husband than the one that died?
    Was this guy convicted in court or are you allowed to make such statements about people on air?

Just to clarify it wasn't the late Richard Hannaford who abused NC it was her first husband.

She first spoke of the abuse publicly in 2017 and I'm not aware of any comment from the alleged abuser since.

You can speak the truth, if someone wants to sue for libel that option is open to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mav11 wrote: »
    The other contributor, a hospital consultant, can't remember her name, didn't even pause to draw breath. I thought she was going to suffocate mid rant!!

And to make it worse the rant was at the level of verbal diarrhea

• Advertisement

Needs to go to Louise O’Reilly for lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Her trite and populist accusation of a Government policy that was "against black people" (with regard to the mandatory quarantining) should have been picked up by the presenter. It should have been put to her that if she was accusing somebody of racism, then she should name that party and provide evidence of such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Needs to go to Louise O’Reilly for lessons.

Speaking of which...

https://twitter.com/loreillysf/status/1378662037421764610

Good talker..... how is it that no matter how much money is pumped into Health, there is little change.

One of the great mysteries of our time.

• Advertisement

Yes, all good points in that clip. I didn't listen to today's show (given up on the Sunday show), so I don't know what exactly she said today, but the last time I heard her, she shoehorned in a comment on misogyny (completely unrelated to the topic) in the health service...that's a pretty strong term to just throw around without adding some explanation/context/evidence. Obviously I don't doubt her knowledge of the health service, but that kind of stuff just lessens her credibility when discussing wider socio-political issues within the health service imo.

Good talker..... how is it that no matter how much money is pumped into Health, there is little change.

One of the great mysteries of our time.

No big mystery, as you know. We pay above the average when it comes to EU healthcare, for the fewest consultants and some of the longest waiting lists. This isn't complicated mathematics: a lot of money just gets lost in the big machine.

Cole wrote: »
    Yes, all good points in that clip. I didn't listen to today's show (given up on the Sunday show), so I don't know what exactly she said today, but the last time I heard her, she shoehorned in a comment on misogyny (completely unrelated to the topic) in the health service...that's a pretty strong term to just throw around without adding some explanation/context/evidence. Obviously I don't doubt her knowledge of the health service, but that kind of stuff just lessens her credibility when discussing wider socio-political issues within the health service imo.

Just listen to the piece today but everything was blamed on white men in suites, I had to stop listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Just listen to the piece today but everything was blamed on white men in suites, I had to stop listening.

Yeah I had to turn off when permanent victim Nora Casey started stating that if women were in charge things would be different. Without challenge, of course, from the cowardly presenter. I thought judging someone's character and ability solely on their sex was sexism? And if she thinks having women in charge is the panacea then she must have never looked across the border.

The problem is not the sex of the people who get elected, the problem is the character and ability of the people who get elected.

Maybe I’m wrong but I do worry about the impact that this constant negative narrative must be having on our young lads now. I’m too old to give a sh1te, but it has to be undermining for them.

Maybe I’m wrong but I do worry about the impact that this constant negative narrative must be having on our young lads now. I’m too old to give a sh1te, but it has to be undermining for them.
    I think the overriding narrative night be of men telling us what the rules are. I don't see how this is undermining men. If you're talking only about this radio debate, I doubt many teenage boys tuned in tbh.

Nearly half of the members of NPHET are women. It is a little odd that all of the people who communicate their decisions seem to be men.

I think the overriding narrative night be of men telling us what the rules are. I don't see how this is undermining men. If you're talking only about this radio debate, I doubt many teenage boys tuned in tbh.

Nearly half of the members of NPHET are women. It is a little odd that all of the people who communicate their decisions seem to be men.

I think that that response may be a little reductive. The original observation and narrative is not confined to radio debate, NPHET or teenage boys. It does seem to me that airtime is increasingly becoming dominated by a predominantly anti “white men in suits” position. But, as I said, maybe I’m wrong!

I think that that response may be a little reductive. The original observation and narrative is not confined to radio debate,
    Ok; but this is a radio forum, after all.

What radio debate has you so worried for teenage boys?

Ok; but this is a radio forum, after all.

What radio debate has you so worried for teenage boys?

I have never mentioned teenage boys except in response. Young lads to me can include those up to their late 20’s. Those lads I suppose who are still trying to find their worth or position in life. The same lads who I feel are being undermined at every turn.

And yes, it is a radio forum but it forms a very important part of the wider arena.

I have never mentioned teenage boys except in response. Young lads to me can include those up to their late 20’s. Those lads I suppose who are still trying to find their worth or position in life. The same lads who I feel are being undermined at every turn.

And yes, it is a radio forum but it forms a very important part of the wider arena.

Ok... so you're worried about young lads listening to the radio and questioning their worth? Is that it?

I'm really not trying to be combative here. I just dont think any young lads listen to radio.

• Advertisement

Ok... so you're worried about young lads listening to the radio and questioning their worth? Is that it?

No.

I'm really not trying to be combative here. I just dont think any young lads listen to radio.

No, that is not it. There are increasingly anti male / pro female opinions being expressed on media, including radio. Without going into detail this has to be having a negative impact on young men, particularly on their sense of self-worth. Talk radio is always on in this house or in the car, and while young lads are not directly listening to it, they are hearing this narrative.

Yesterday’s tag team rant between the contributors was a rather extreme version of this. The problem was that these views went unchallenged by the host. Lack of challenge implies acceptance.

So, in the interests of balanced radio, when Jacinda Ardern was thrown up yet again, as a shining example of female prowess (and male incompetence) of how to handle Covid, why did Damien not balance the argument with examples such as Ursula von der Leyen or the two yokes north of the border? Is it the case that public radio is becoming fearful of challenging these views?

No, that is not it. There are increasingly anti male / pro female opinions being expressed on media, including radio.
    Pro-diversity doesn't mean anti male. I'm not anti-myself. I disagree with whomever made the comment about women politicians being better policymakers, but the rest of the commentary yesterday was about diversity, and seemed quite inoffensive.

If NPHET briefings were comprised of all (or nearly all) women, and the Minister for Health was a woman — and all of the cabinet sub-committee including the Taoisesch were women – are you really telling me there wouldn't be mutterings of an 'uneven balance'?

Of course there would. And they'd be dead right. That's the point that Nora Casey was making. Let's not be anti man, but let's not be 'only man' either.

Pro-diversity doesn't mean anti male. I'm not anti-myself. I disagree with whoever made the comment about women politicians being better policymakers, but the rest of the commentary yesterday was about diversity and seemed quite inoffensive.

If NPHET briefings wete comprised of all (or nearly all) women, and the Minister for Health was a woman — and all of the cabinet sub-committee including the Taoisesch were women – re you really telling me there wouldn't be mutterings of an uneven balance?

Of course there would. And they'd be dead right. That's the point that Nora Casey was making. Let's not be anti man, but let's not be 'only man' either.

Just to jump in on your debate...didn't listen yesterday and can't really disagree with your points there, but I think it's the tone and/or flippant comments that sometimes get thrown into these debates (on both sides) that undermine them. Like the professor of psychology from UL who made the comment about "bald (NPHET) men telling us not to get our hair cut" on Morning Ireland last week.

I realise that similarly condescending remarks were once common towards women, but taking on the same approach really doesn't help anyone...and plays into the sense of the 'anti-man' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pro-diversity doesn't mean anti male. I'm not anti-myself. I disagree with whoever made the comment about women politicians being better policymakers, but the rest of the commentary yesterday was about diversity and seemed quite inoffensive.

I’m sure I’ve posted this before, somewhere, but here goes: “When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression”.

Just something to keep in mind there, lads.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I’m sure I’ve posted this before, somewhere, but here goes: “When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression”.

Just something to keep in mind there, lads.

Oh dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

She was saying we need more women on committees
    It's been shown that a government with more female politicians is more effective in dealing with problems with covid etc
    A government with mostly male middle aged politicians is not as effective and representative of the people the general population
    Most teachers and nurses are female
    I agree with her
    I notice most of the extreme right wing politicians are white and male

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

riclad wrote: »
    It's been shown that a government with more female politicians is more effective in dealing with problems with covid etc
    Has it? Would you mind sharing were it has been shown that they are more effective.

I am not doubting you. But I am not sure I'd agree with you. Arden and Jacobsdottir are Outliers in there success with Covid.

Germany, Finland, Norway and Denmarks response to Covid are largely in line with Ireland.

And you would argue that Estonia, Finland, Greece, Moldova, Serbia, Georgia, Ethiopia, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, and Lithuania are all doing worse then Ireland or the majority of male led countries.

Northern Ireland's two largest parties are run by women, and it is completely disfunctional.

Germany, Finland, Norway and Denmarks response to Covid are largely in line with Ireland.

And you would argue that Estonia, Finland, Greece, Moldova, Serbia, Georgia, Ethiopia, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, and Lithuania are all doing worse then Ireland or the majority of male led countries.

Northern Ireland's two largest parties are run by women, and it is completely disfunctional.

We have between 2 and 6 times the death rates of Denmark, Norway, etc. Greece, Finland, and Serbia are doing considerably better than we are.

You mention Finland twice, to say they're both the same as us and worse. They're doing better, by a lot.

It's not believed that the advantage of female-led countries is anything so facile as that they are led by women. It's thought that countries with high levels of equality have nearly double the talent pool of countries where only men work, so you're just gonna end up with better services in places where women and men labour equally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Norway Finland Serbia I’d imagine are far more disciplined than Ireland, we’re surrounded by gob****es

This is some awful filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Dream analysis drivel.
    Is this what we've sunk to?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Dream analysis drivel.
    Is this what we've sunk to?

Analysis of de bleedin obvious. Dreaming you're trapped in a room means you feel trapped etc... what a revelation.

Analysis of de bleedin obvious. Dreaming you're trapped in a room means you feel trapped etc... what a revelation.

Awh now. Don't forget they have been scientifically proven to be able to predict the future.

Suprised that went unchallenged.
    Some awful bollocks.

Michael Murphy......formerly of our parish..........’nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Murphys a made guy, allways assured of a gig in the montrose soviet

Murphys a made guy, allways assured of a gig in the montrose soviet

I had never heard of him before today.

Read the news for ages on rte unless im badly mistaken

Read the news for ages on rte unless im badly mistaken

Yes...for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Yes...for years

Retired in service!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I find dreams fairly prosaic. I mean, whenever I have some interesting stuff happening in the sleeping hours between my ears, it's nearly always because the previous day has exposed me to something along those lines, and it's just the grey matter putting it into order.
    No analysis needed.

What throws a bit of a spanner into the works is taking the odd sleeping tablet - Noctimid is a bummer.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 16 a chuisle

Didn’t catch all the conversation but what I did hear would send anyone to sleep. One listener texted in about a dream of driving his car without insurance. Michael explained the dream saying “you are not fully protected when you go out on the road”. Mindblowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yes...for years

Somebody started a rumour that he was in a wheelchair and half the country believed it for years.
    And that was before social media!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

More sloppy mistakes by Damien - giving out Molly's email address as Mollie.xxxxxx towards the end before correcting it, and reading out the headline about U.S. flights as "us flights" initially.

Somebody started a rumour that he was in a wheelchair and half the country believed it for years.
    And that was before social media!
    I believed until I was about 25 that he was a double amputee, then it dawned on me I'd been had... probably after seeing him walk onto the Late Late. That really sparked the first doubt.

Going back to his contribution, I'm surprised so many people are sceptical about dreams. If the hit TV show Frasier has taught me anything, and it has, it's that dreams are a glimpse into our interior lives. Sure, they are only a selection of the thousands of video files that bump against one another in the night, but why these particular files, and why repeatedly? Fascinating topic, I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Michael Murphy......formerly of our parish..........’nuff said.

insufferably smug self satisfied individual , easy to see where Deputy Paul Murphy gets it from

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    insufferably smug self satisfied individual , easy to see where Deputy Paul Murphy gets it from

Don't tell me they're related!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Don't tell me they're related!

uncle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Sloppy yet again referring to JP McManus losing his niece earlier this year. It was his daughter in law, as Henry de Bromhead correctly pointed out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement