Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

5 pound a pint, ya can keep it amackin

This segment has been unadulterated misery.

Tomorrow we get to open up a bit. No need to emphasise how far behind the UK we are, maybe just for the next couple of days.

Now someone telling us to go for a walk. Wtf do you think we have been doing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    insufferably smug self satisfied individual

I never got those vibes from him, to be honest.

I think it's a good move by RTE to have a psychoanalyst versed in the Jungian & Lacanian tradition on the show. Exploration of the unconscious mind is fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The flowers had some other great songs, could they not pick something other than Dont go

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

mzungu wrote: »

I think it's a good move by RTE to have a psychoanalyst versed in the Jungian & Lacanian tradition on the show. Exploration of the unconscious mind is fascinating.

The stuff he comes out with is so obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where's Brendan??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

fryup wrote:
    where's Brendan??

At least we are spared his cork accent and uplift at sentence end for a
    week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

fryup wrote: »
    where's Brendan??

Didn't you know? RTE 'talent' take the equivalent of teacher's holidays. Christmas, Easter, Summer, mid-terms etc.

bobbyss wrote: »
    At least we are spared his cork accent and uplift at sentence end for a
    week.

And the "listen to me now", and the "come here to me now", etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This stuff is beginning to gain traction Gov.

Needs to be stamped out.

Cormac o H-Eadra is a afficianado as well.

#stopthisbollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mzungu wrote: »

Is the best psychoanalyst they could get the one who happens to be an ex-RTE head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

That was a comical segment-every dream related to COVID.

They're in some bubble up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Liam Ó Maonlaí, the man of a thousand ellipses. I do like the guy but hearing him interviewed is a “lesson” in patience.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

where's Brendan??

Who cares

He’s a failure in this show and everyone knows it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

where's Brendan??

Following in the footsteps of his predecessor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Liam Ó Maonlaí, the man of a thousand ellipses. I do like the guy but hearing him interviewed is a “lesson” in patience.

Is he still dining out on “Don’t Go” ?

Is he still dining out on “Don’t Go” ?

Yep

In reality it’s all he has to cling on to some sort of “renown”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Ha! I heard him interview Nigella Lawson a while back. It was so embarrassing to listen to him fawning over her. He came across as auld culchie fawning over an English rose. Different league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Did I mishear or did he call them the Horse House Flowers?

Was this so called “comedian” talking about anxiety not on before?

Or was it another one?

Def remember an interview very similar to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Was this “comedian” talking about anxiety not on before?

Or was it another one? Def remember an interview very similar to this

Thought the same thing for a moment, but it turns out he's yet another 'happy' media figure who it turns out has mental health issues...and wants to tell us and BOC all about it.

...oh and flog a book

Found it

Only a few weeks ago dermot whelan was featured on the same show talking rubbish about the same topic

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/brendan-oconnor/programmes/2021/0221/1198433-brendan-oconnor-sunday-21-february-2021/

He’s another from the Noel Kelly agency stable

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/dermot-whelan---profile.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I was thinking of the other fella...Keith Walsh...who was on before talking about his issues. They're all interchangeable to me.

Cole wrote: »
    I was thinking of the other fella...Keith Walsh...who was on before talking about his issues. They're all interchangeable to me.

Bland interchangeable and mostly stealing a living

This guy on now is a so called comedian....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's about a year since Brendan O'Connor took over the weekend morning shows. He used to do relief every now & then for Marian Finucane and was reasonably OK at that, had a little edge about him and a different voice.

However I can say after listening over a year now that Brendan O'Connor has become a sap. That's the kindest word I can think of to describe him - full of navel gazing and 'new man' PC crap. Has as about as much edge now as a sodden sponge. It's like as if he wants to embed himself into a cosy RTE number for the next 10..20..30 years.

I cut him a fair bit of slack initially as he came in at the start of the whole Covid thing and put up with his 'And how we all today folks?' mantra. That's OK for a few weeks, not months and months.

These shows are a mix of current affairs and magazine content. So let's have a presenter who can deal with current affairs of the day with a bit of cut & thrust. Not this nicey nicey nonsense that O'Connor has sunk into it. As for his regular pseudo psychiatry and psychoanalytical slots I just turn it off - they'd do your head in. I think the bold Brendan must have 'issues' somewhere in his life, which is grand, but really he should go and sort them out himself and not be annoying the normal listening public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Furze99 wrote: »
    It's about a year since Brendan O'Connor took over the weekend morning shows. He used to do relief every now & then for Marian Finucane and was reasonably OK at that, had a little edge about him and a different voice.

However I can say after listening over a year now that Brendan O'Connor has become a sap. That's the kindest word I can think of to describe him - full of navel gazing and 'new man' PC crap. Has as about as much edge now as a sodden sponge. It's like as if he wants to embed himself into a cosy RTE number for the next 10..20..30 years.

I cut him a fair bit of slack initially as he came in at the start of the whole Covid thing and put up with his 'And how we all today folks?' mantra. That's OK for a few weeks, not months and months.

These shows are a mix of current affairs and magazine content. So let's have a presenter who can deal with current affairs of the day with a bit of cut & thrust. Not this nicey nicey nonsense that O'Connor has sunk into it. As for his regular pseudo psychiatry and psychoanalytical slots I just turn it off - they'd do your head in. I think the bold Brendan must have 'issues' somewhere in his life, which is grand, but really he should go and sort them out himself and not be annoying the normal listening public.

You are not wrong.....

You have put into words exactly what I think of him and his show. But it's not only him. All of RTE radio and television has become a total turnoff. All the same views all the time, no controversy any more. I suppose they are just reflecting the current malaise that nobody can be offended, all inclusive, mental health, blah blah. In many ways it has been in my favour, as I have been addicted to news shows all my life, and only now am beginning to appreciate good music radio for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You have put into words exactly what I think of him and his show. But it's not only him. All of RTE radio and television has become a total turnoff. All the same views all the time, no controversy any more. I suppose they are just reflecting the current malaise that nobody can be offended, all inclusive, mental health, blah blah. In many ways it has been in my favour, as I have been addicted to news shows all my life, and only now am beginning to appreciate good music radio for the first time.

The RTE promos for the shows 'Claire Byrne, Drivetime' etc, are the little magazine fluff pieces. The shows have been dumbed down and they're not afraid of letting you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

... Brendan O'Connor has become a sap.....
    You are not wrong.....
    You have put into words exactly what I think of him and his show.....

I switched on for the last few minutes. You are all far to kind to him. What I heard was drivel. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He went this way a long time back, and I maintain he is happy lifting 250k per year now until retirement, and doesn't want anything controversial to potentially derail this.

His Cutting Edge TV show was the first pointer.

The first series (or two?) was good. Interesting debate and the odd good argument. Then a series started and he was on edge permanently, shutting down anything controversial being said. It totally ruined the show.

His radio show is an extension of this now. Too many waffly, fluffy pieces.

But nice work if you can get it. If I was in his position in a cushy job, I'd probably so the same. I have stopped listening to it too. In fact, RTE1 has really dropped off my listening in recent months, and I used to listen to it a lot.

NIMAN wrote: »
    He went this way a long time back, and I maintain he is happy lifting 250k per year now until retirement, and doesn't want anything controversial to potentially derail this.

His Cutting Edge TV show was the first pointer.

The first series (or two?) was good. Interesting debate and the odd good argument. Then a series started and he was on edge permanently, shutting down anything controversial being said. It totally ruined the show.

His radio show is an extension of this now. Too many waffly, fluffy pieces.

But nice work if you can get it. If I was in his position in a cushy job, I'd probably so the same. I have stopped listening to it too. In fact, RTE1 has really dropped off my listening in recent months, and I used to listen to it a lot.

Like all RTE, it is only older listeners who lived pre Internet who listen in. Mostly out of habit. But over the last few weeks, I have had enough. Just can't listen to the same old shyte show after show. Covid, mental health, covid mental health, no offence. I suppose they're afraid of being sued. But I am finished with him, and Duffy and D'Arcy and Tubridy, Claire Byrne, etc. I feel free, they don't bother me anymore. I always loved country music, and now listen to all kinds of music, and am much happier.

On today's panel:

Luke O'Neill (we haven't heard from him in a while)
    Christine FInn (The Journal)
    Pat McCann (something to do with IBEC, no idea either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Are you being sarcastic on Luke O’Neill?

On today's panel:

Luke O'Neill (we haven't heard from him in a while)
    Christine FInn (The Journal)
    Pat McCann (something to do with IBEC, no idea either)

McCann is either the chairman or the CEO of Dalata Hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

And as usual he just can't stop himself interrupting Luke O'Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

So for the second day in a row BOC is focused on a story that will probably be rubbished by lunchtime.

Luke O Neill is bs - Pfizer is not licenced for a gap of greater than 42 days .end of story Luke...

Luke giving the notion of returning to normality which even Pat Mc Cann is distancing himself from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

o Connor didnt just have his " teeth pulled " in the past seven or eight years , he,s had his jacbobs cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Like all RTE, it is only older listeners who lived pre Internet who listen in. Mostly out of habit. But over the last few weeks, I have had enough. Just can't listen to the same old shyte show after show. Covid, mental health, covid mental health, no offence. I suppose they're afraid of being sued. But I am finished with him, and Duffy and D'Arcy and Tubridy, Claire Byrne, etc. I feel free, they don't bother me anymore. I always loved country music, and now listen to all kinds of music, and am much happier.

You forgot long-term illness and death. If there's a child involved then there's extra Brownie points and high-fives around the production team meeting.

• Advertisement

Luke O’Neill being as shy as ever in telling us all how great he is. As humble and modest as Joe Duffy.

Luke O’Neill being as shy as ever in telling us all how great he is. As humble and modest as Joe Duffy.

He has a great welcome for himself

Can we, as a People, all agree to consign that expression "Ireland inc" to the rubbish bin? I am begging you.

Pat McCann giving Luke O’Neill a much needed ego boost. If only poor Luke could overcome his crippling shyness and develop some self-confidence he’d likely cure cancer by Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm surprised he has any time to do any research at all as he's never off the airwaves.

"The royals are incredibly good at doing majesty" — what??

"It was incredibly affecting"

Jfc

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I'm surprised he has any time to do any research at all as he's never off the airwaves.

His students do the actual research, he's at the stage now where he just gives it the nod and says "well done, well done".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Never listen to RTE now. Just a lecturing entity with a lot of fluff and pure terror of offending anyone or anything now. So bland and predictable, full of death, illness, cancer, covid, you know... all those issues that cheer us up enormously.

Few of us have not suffered some form of difficulty during the pandemic be it financial, stress, boredom, frustration, loneliness, lack of access to GPs, healthcare and tests etc., but with due respect to those going through a hard time, if I hear the word Mental Health one more time I will break the radio for good. They were even including schoolkids in that moniker FGS.

Personally I feel the subject is very relevant, but instead of calling it Mental Health it should be turned around into a positive message as to how to deal with it on a personal/family level and it should be called "Well Being" or lack of it anyway IMV, because that is what most feel, a lack of feeling good and positive, not necessarily full blown mental health issues which are medicated and professionally supported most of the time.

On the Record on Newstalk is my go to on Sundays now, fast paced and good presenter. Well anything is better than RTE. Still have to pay my license fee though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ask Robert did he watch the funeral

Never listen to RTE now. Just a lecturing entity with a lot of fluff and pure terror of offending anyone or anything now. So bland and predictable, full of death, illness, cancer, covid, you know... all those issues that cheer us up enormously.

Few of us have not suffered some form of difficulty during the pandemic be it financial, stress, boredom, frustration, loneliness, lack of access to GPs, healthcare and tests etc., but with due respect to those going through a hard time, if I hear the word Mental Health one more time I will break the radio for good. They were even including schoolkids in that moniker FGS.

Personally I feel the subject is very relevant, but instead of calling it Mental Health it should be turned around into a positive message as to how to deal with it on a personal/family level and it should be called "Well Being" or lack of it anyway IMV, because that is what most feel, a lack of feeling good and positive, not necessarily full blown mental health issues which are medicated and professionally supported most of the time.

On the Record on Newstalk is my go to on Sundays now, fast paced and good presenter. Well anything is better than RTE. Still have to pay my license fee though.

On the ball there. Some time back a psychiatrist was speaking on the radio, not sure if it wasn't Brendan O'Connor Show. He made the very same point about the term Mental Health and described it as a pop-culture moniker used by media types that has little connection with actual mental health as viewed from the fully qualified professionals who practice in the area, the nurses, psychiatrists, psychologists. He argued that this suited recent governments very well as it placed the sphere under the remit of pop culture figures & charities rather than medical & allied professional services which have to be properly funded to be effective.

I can't help half liking Luke O'Neill in spite of himself. I'd prefer to share a road trip with him than Duffy, even if he were talking about himself in the bar in the evening, at least I'dd feel slightly more cheered & hopeful than with the talk of sickness and death. They both lack humility, but one focuses on hope the other on despair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement