Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Who is this one? “You know Anthony Fauci? That cool guy?”

Cliona somebody. I like her accent

juju match hoodoo match???

Cliona somebody. I like her accent

She sounds like a character from the Liberal Ladies sketch on Callan’s Kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Cliona Ní Cheallaigh. She’s a medical consultant in infectious diseases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"And here's a really good text".

And needless to say it brought gender into it and bashed men.

BOC is getting irritating at this stage.
    In fact not just this show, why is gender brought into everything now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Heard that and almost drove off the road in frustration

What a shallow ignorant statement from her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

She sounds like a character from the Liberal Ladies sketch on Callan’s Kicks.
    Breezer wrote: »

Not listening, but she's the middle aged (like meself) consultant who sounds like a teenager and who often loves to describe things as "cool".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Cole wrote: »
    Not listening, but she's the middle aged (like meself) consultant who sounds like a teenager and who often loves to describe things as "cool".

Not listening today but think I know who she is?

Super WOKE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Breezer wrote: »

As someone who is listening Professor Cliona has made an excellent contribution to today's show ,indeed acknowledged by one of her fellow guests.

BOC feeding the narrative that Tony is back and will put manners on the government is poor form but not unexpected from BOC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

“Voooooooo!”

Christ, this is surely rock bottom now.

Infoanon wrote: »
    As someone who is listening Professor Cliona has made an excellent contribution to today's show ,indeed acknowledged by one of her fellow guests.

BOC feeding the narrative that Tony is back and will put manners on the government is poor form but not unexpected from BOC.

I made no negative comments on her valid points. She spoke a lot of sense. However, her “trying to be down with the kool kidz” delivery style wasn’t helpful. I can imagine many would be turned off by that and tune out of her messaging as a result. I would good she doesn’t talk like that when dealing with patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Shelga wrote: »
    “Voooooooo!”

Christ, this is surely rock bottom now.

BOC loves this kind of ****e. “Tiny traumas” ffs,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

That clip from Alan Partridge's second series of 'This Time' (starting next Friday opposite our own tv host disaster) was really good.
    Can't wait.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

Cliona Ní Cheallaigh's throwaway 'advice', " have your raves on the beach". "the breeze will blow away the virus" referring to Salthill packed crowds yesterday, was utterly irresponsible. Her ego is nauseating. A grossly over-paid hospital consultant who is more concerned with patronising the riff-raff under the guise of 'caring'.

It has been stated quite clearly over and over again that out door interaction is not safe, it is just less dangerous than indoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

PVNevin wrote: »
    Cliona Ní Cheallaigh's throwaway 'advice', " have your raves on the beach". "the breeze will blow away the virus" referring to Salthill packed crowds yesterday, was utterly irresponsible. Her ego is nauseating. A grossly over-paid hospital consultant who is more concerned with patronising the riff-raff under the guise of 'caring'.

It has been stated quite clearly over and over again that out door interaction is not safe, it is just less dangerous than indoor.

Everything is dumbed down now. There needs to be jokes thrown in and usually a bit of music. Some topics need to be dealt with in a serious manner. You would imagine that a pandemic that has us with these restrictions for four months now would fit that bill but it seems not.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

What was the apology after the show about?

Infoanon wrote: »
    I made no negative comments on her valid points. She spoke a lot of sense. However, her “trying to be down with the kool kidz” delivery style wasn’t helpful. I can imagine many would be turned off by that and tune out of her messaging as a result. I would good she doesn’t talk like that when dealing with patients.

Same here. I didn't comment on her knowledge or contribution (how could I?)...but I've heard her enough on TV/radio to assume her 'delivery' was the usual.

Agree. If she had any professional respect she would issue an immediate clarification and apology.

Bizarre contributions from her today.

Though I think her contributions express the real attitude of her and her layer of the senior entitled public 'servants'. Them and the whole bunch of our 'betters'.

Without hyperbole, the approach of the ruling class around the world to Covid -19 has been criminal.

Why are vaccines not patent free? Why are there not billions of vaccines being produced worldwide, to protect all? Why is every effort not made to protect essential workers?

• Advertisement

Though I think her contributions express the real attitude of her and her layer of the senior entitled public 'servants'. Them and the whole bunch of our 'betters'.

Without hyperbole, the approach of the ruling class around the world to Covid -19 has been criminal.

Why are vaccines not patent free? Why are there not billions of vaccines being produced worldwide, to protect all? Why is every effort not made to protect essential workers?

If vaccines or other such medicines were to be developed patent free, where is the motivation for private companies to engage in research?

Mav11 wrote: »
    If vaccines or other such medicines were to be developed patent free, where is the motivation for private companies to engage in research?

Yeah the big Pharma companies are all struggling to break even. I worked in high tech biopharma. The figures are mind blowing, as are the margins.

This was a real opportunity to do something for the greater good but no they had to cash in again.

Out of the mouths of babes.

You don't realise it; but you have just raised the problem we all face,

Private ownership, Capitalism!

This is from "Fortune".
    Oxford’s COVID vaccine deal with AstraZeneca raises concerns about access and pricing
    https://fortune.com/2020/08/24/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-deal-pricing-profit-concerns/

Out of the mouths of babes.

You don't realise it; but you have just raised the problem we all face,

Private ownership, Capitalism!

This is from "Fortune".
    Oxford’s COVID vaccine deal with AstraZeneca raises concerns about access and pricing
    https://fortune.com/2020/08/24/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-deal-pricing-profit-concerns/

Right so, comrade. 'Cause that worked well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

What was the apology after the show about?

an apology on how the apache native tribes were described sometime in november.
    BAI said it didn't amount to racism though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

an apology on how the apache native tribes were described sometime in november.
    BAI said it didn't amount to racism though.

I don't remember that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

an apology on how the apache native tribes were described sometime in november. BAI said it didn't amount to racism though.

They said that there was a discussion of a movie and some reference was made about Apache or native Americans that the complainant was not happy with. They also said that it was "not challenged by the presenter". I actually stunned that something in the completely inane second half of the show could offend anyone. I don't really know where it leaves the show at this stage. As it is, Brendan is constantly pedantically interrupting and qualifying what people say in order not to offend some very easily offended person who might be listening with a BAI form in one hand and a solicitors letter in the other.

Given that the ruling was a criticism against the presenter himself, I would fear that this will now lead to even more interruptions.

I made no negative comments on her valid points. She spoke a lot of sense. However, her “trying to be down with the kool kidz” delivery style wasn’t helpful.

I think she has modeled herself on everybody's pal, Luke O'Neill - the "friendly voice you can trust". When watching re-runs of Cheers, I half expect Luke O'Neill to sit down beside Norm and Cliff at the end of the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

They said that there was a discussion of a movie and some reference was made about Apache or native Americans that the complainant was not happy with. They also said that it was "not challenged by the presenter". I actually stunned that something in the completely inane second half of the show could offend anyone. I don't really know where it leaves the show at this stage. As it is, Brendan is constantly pedantically interrupting and qualifying what people say in order not to offend some very easily offended person who might be listening with a BAI form in one hand and a solicitors letter in the other.

Given that the ruling was a criticism against the presenter himself, I would fear that this will now lead to even more interruptions.

Gerarardus........please understand that there is nothingwhich can be said these days that some stump won’t take offense to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

When did this happen? The initial discussion?

Gerarardus........please understand that there is nothingwhich can be said these days that some stump won’t take offense to.

I’m offended by the use of the word “stump”. It’s tree-ist.

:rolleyes:

Elmo wrote: »
    When did this happen? The initial discussion?

I looked up the BAI page and the most recent complaints are from the 14th of April, and I don't see the Brendan O'Connor complaint among them. Maybe this is another traunch of complaints that has not been published on the web page yet, given how slow the wheels normally move in these types of organisations?

https://www.bai.ie/en/latest-broadcasting-complaints-decisions-published-45/

The only complaint that was held up in the batch from 14th of April was the "transphobic" remark about JK Rowling that was made on Today FM, and I know that I heard about this in the news a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I looked up the BAI page and the most recent complaints are from the 14th of April, and I don't see the Brendan O'Connor complaint among them. Maybe this is another traunch of complaints that has not been published on the web page yet, given how slow the wheels normally move in these types of organisations?

https://www.bai.ie/en/latest-broadcasting-complaints-decisions-published-45/

The only complaint that was held up in the batch from 14th of April was the "transphobic" remark about JK Rowling that was made on Today FM, and I know that I heard about this in the news a few weeks back.

while you may not like people complaining to the BAI, they don't get that many and when they do get them they make their judgment 6 months after the fact. BAI don't want complaints. They are not OFCOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I think she has modeled herself on everybody's pal, Luke O'Neill - the "friendly voice you can trust". When watching re-runs of Cheers, I half expect Luke O'Neill to sit down beside Norm and Cliff at the end of the bar.

My particular favourite part that Cliona contributed was her letting us all know that she recently bought a second home in Wexford for holidays.

She's one of the people all right, but it's not the average people of Ireland, its the people of rte D4 society.

On the BAI complaint...I'm going from memory and I could be wrong, but I think it might have arisen from the movie review/recommendation slot that Brian Reddin often does. He recommended the western "Hombre" on TG4 that week and in doing so said the Paul Newman character was a "halfbreed"...but I'm fairly sure he meant it in air quotes, as in that's how Paul Newman's character was perceived and that was the term used back then...Reddin was clumsy in how he set up the plot. The movie actually addresses the issue of racism.

I remember it so clearly because, as well as enjoying a good a western, I could almost hear BOC squirm and was surprised that he didn't get Reddin to make it clearer that that's how he meant it...he's usually quick to add a qualification if he thinks something might be misinterpreted or cause offence.

wSMDgzHfFX65n5iLyxnegDXZHbc.jpg

• Advertisement

PieOhMy wrote: »
    My particular favourite part that Cliona contributed was her letting us all know that she recently bought a second home in Wexford for holidays.

She's one of the people all right, but it's not the average people of Ireland, its the people of rte D4 society.

It was her "let them eat cake" moment. Just like when Joe Duffy asks callers "was dat your main holiday?"

On the BAI complaint...I'm going from memory and I could be wrong, but I think it might have arisen from the movie review/recommendation slot that Brian Reddin often does used to do. He recommended the western "Hombre" on TG4 that week

fyp :D

Your description above of the their discussion of the movie Hombre certainly fits in with what I heard about the complaint alright. I think you are right.

Liuke O'Neil being the one who said "Put Granny by the window" in response to warnings against opening up fro Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I have long categorised Tom Jones in the absolute scumbag drawer

I wouldn't put Billy Connery much higher either, to be honest.
    Similar pattern of behaviour, until he could divest himself of wife Mk 1 and take up with a more attractive version.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

On the BAI complaint...I'm going from memory and I could be wrong, but I think it might have arisen from the movie review/recommendation slot that Brian Reddin often does. He recommended the western "Hombre" on TG4 that week and in doing so said the Paul Newman character was a "halfbreed"...but I'm fairly sure he meant it in air quotes, as in that's how Paul Newman's character was perceived and that was the term used back then...Reddin was clumsy in how he set up the plot. The movie actually addresses the issue of racism.

I remember it so clearly because, as well as enjoying a good a western, I could almost hear BOC squirm and was surprised that he didn't get Reddin to make it clearer that that's how he meant it...he's usually quick to add a qualification if he thinks something might be misinterpreted or cause offence.

wSMDgzHfFX65n5iLyxnegDXZHbc.jpg
    Ages since I saw that, and I always liked a Paul Newman movie. Got it downloading now.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement

Radio on

Politicians whinging and complaining

Radio off

Radio on

Politicians whinging and complaining

Radio off

John Halligan commented to Brendan that he was an excellent broadcaster and RTE were similar regarding their standards in interviewing politicians.

I don't agree with the level of online abuse directed at some politicians (for example when it crosses the line into physical threats etc.) but these people are over-egging this a bit I feel.

Tommy Gorman back into RTE already with a documentary about RTE's second favourite subject (after death)......cancer.

At this stage it looks like RTE staffers only retire to get contract work.

Tommy Gorman back into RTE already with a documentary about RTE's second favourite subject (after death)......cancer.

We were beaten over the head, again, with death in an early program today on Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"Ireland Cancer and me" for heavens sake even some of us with it in our lives would like a break from it from time to time, give it a rest ffs

The RTE Radio App has failed for the third time now since 11am so I'm off to listen to a podcast instead.

"Ireland Cancer and me" for heavens sake even some of us with it in our lives would like a break from it from time to time, give it a rest ffs

???

The man has cancer. It's quite serious. Are you really accusing him of being on some kind if junket, for talking about his fatal illness? This is a bit much, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

???

The man has cancer. It's quite serious. Are you really accusing him of being on some kind if junket, for talking about his fatal illness? This is a bit much, now.

Unfortunately he's not the only one with it, 9 times out of 10 when rte is turned on its either cancer or some other illness, what does all this achieve, damn all I'd say. Even people with cancer need a break from this constant emoting about the subject

???

No, I'm not accusing him of being on some kind of junket.

I'm rather referring to what seems to be becoming the norm for RTE staff members to retire only then to return almost immediately (Gorman retired only last month) to now do some other form of work, contract in Sean O'Rourke's case (obviously cancelled following Golfgate) and now Gorman one assumes has sold his documentary to RTE. The optics of these types of arrangements are not good IMO for an organisation whose finances are under such scrutiny and which is publicly funded. It smacks of a "jobs for the boys"/pension top up wink wink type of thing.

I bear no ill will whatsoever to Tommy Gorman and wish him all the very best in his recovery and treatment. My comments were purely in relation to this arrangement - the subject matter is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement