Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

"books saved our lives"...got to love the hyperbole of the literary crew. Tubridy will have this quote framed for his wall...or maybe yer man stole it from him.

No, I'm not accusing him of being on some kind of junket.

I'm rather referring to what seems to be becoming the norm for RTE staff members to retire only then to return almost immediately (Gorman retired only last month) to now do some other form of work, contract in Sean O'Rourke's case (obviously cancelled following Golfgate) and now Gorman one assumes has sold his documentary to RTE. The optics of these types of arrangements are not good IMO for an organisation whose finances are under such scrutiny and which is publicly funded. It smacks of a "jobs for the boys"/pension top up wink wink type of thing.

I bear no ill will whatsoever to Tommy Gorman and wish him all the very best in his recovery and treatment. My comments were purely in relation to this arrangement - the subject matter is irrelevant.

Every day, there is a legitimate reason to criticise RTE.

Going after Tommy Gorman's presence on a radio programme, talking about his cancer, is not one of them, I would suggest. It doesn't make anyone look good, or sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

There are two strands here to the criticism above.
    The relentless tales of death and illness - and they are relentless across the whole spectrum of RTE's services - and the seemingly closed shop that RTE is/family of staff & contractors and the continuity of retired 'personalities' at the RTE/public purse.
    Both are legitimate.
    No one has abused or spoken ill of Tommie Gorman.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Going after Tommy Gorman's presence on a radio programme, talking about his cancer, is not one of them, I would suggest. It doesn't make anyone look good, or sensible.

Just for the record there, when I turned on BoC this morning the first four words I heard were "Ireland cancer and me" I immediately switched over to a more pleasant listening experience for a bank holiday weekend, I had no idea the segment was about Tommy Gorman until you mentioned him and furthermore that is irrelevant to the point of the ubiquitous emoting on disease and death on the national broadcaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That’s not really what I did though. You are conflating the two issues and using an emotive argument by personalizing his cancer. I repeat that I have absolutely no ill will towards Gorman, but I’d make the same comment regarding RTE’s work practices in hiring/remunerating very recently departed employees if his documentary was about tiddlywinks.

And I do think you’re somewhat overdramatizing this point. I am not “going after” (as you put it) Gorman - my comments are clearly about RTÉ, can you not see that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That’s not really what I did though. You are conflating the two issues and using an emotive argument by personalizing his cancer. I repeat that I have absolutely no ill will towards Gorman, but I’d make the same comment regarding RTE’s work practices in hiring/remunerating very recently departed employees if his documentary was about tiddlywinks.

And I do think you’re somewhat overdramatizing this point. I am not “going after” (as you put it) Gorman - my comments are clearly about RTÉ, can you not see that?

Come on, B, give it a rest. You’ll miss out on railing against the “doom and gloom” scientists on with Katie Hannon.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Brainless moaning about our public broadcaster is a hobby for some of the permanently outraged crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

???

The man has cancer. It's quite serious. Are you really accusing him of being on some kind if junket, for talking about his fatal illness? This is a bit much, now.

Does he have cancer? I know he had it twenty years ago, maybe more. Not sure he has now though.

Brainless moaning about our public broadcaster is a hobby for some of the permanently outraged crew.

Must disagree with you here, Doctor. The radio posters are the most intelligent users of this website, and they have extremely high standards, that's all. I do agree the cancer comments were insensitive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Must disagree with you here, Doctor. The radio posters are the most intelligent users of this website, and they have extremely high standards, that's all. I do agree the cancer comments were insensitive though.

And again, my comments were aimed at RTÉ, not Tommy Gorman nor his cancer. Others (above) clearly agree.

The radio posters are the most intelligent users of this website, and they have extremely high standards, that's all.

As a mod, you might want to cast an eye over the Katie Hannon thread again from today. Implying racism and misogyny based on (incoherent) assumptions of other posters wouldn't be my interpretation of "extremely high standards".

As a mod, endorsing comments that are going after other posters based on (inaccurate) assumptions of racism/misogyny doesn't make anyone look good or sensible either.

The comments were on the state broadcasters coverage of Cancer and illnesses in general, not on cancer itself whether its Tommy o Gorman or the local latchyco who is suffering from it, its all the same,we're all heading down the one road in the end, I would not like any comment I made as regards cancer on the Boc forum to be construed as insensitive ie showing no concern for others feelings, as a matter of fact it is Rte who could be accused of being insensitive to their viewers and listeners with their constant mining for misery at every hour of the day or night, its why I hardly ever listen to or watch rte at this time in my life. I find there's a rosier hue on life without all the darkness that often emanates from the national broadcaster

Cole wrote: »
    As a mod, you might want to cast an eye over the Katie Hannon thread again from today. Implying racism and misogyny based on (incoherent) assumptions of other posters wouldn't be my interpretation of "extremely high standards".

As a mod, endorsing comments that are going after other posters based on (inaccurate) assumptions of racism/misogyny doesn't make anyone look good or sensible either.
    Cole, I saw your comments on the Katie Hannon (Saturday RTE) thread. I think it's generally a bad idea to discuss moderation on here, as it detracts from a very good debate.

It's the same here, in the BOC thread. This thread always creates a very interesting, intelligent debate, and whenever comments (rarely) become personal, they will be actioned. Please report posts that you think should be actioned, I notice you have not.

In general, the mods have a sort of laissez-faire attitude. We know that radio users can express themselves very well without our meddling. Our aim is to be invisible. Still, we are regular users of this site and are entitled to thank posts, or express comments, however we want. Thanks.

PM one of us if any clarification is needed — I will always reply, whatever your concern. Might be best not to derail a good thread.

Please report posts that you think should be actioned, I notice you have not.

Why would I report a post to be actioned when one of the (Radio) mods has already endorsed/given the thumbs up to said post? Anyway, I'd rather engage with other poster's views (agree/disagree). But what's the point when wild assumptions are made based purely on some kind of perceived socio-political ideologies of others...not on what they actually wrote.
    Still, we are regular users of this site and are entitled to thank posts, or express comments, however we want. Thanks.

Never suggested otherwise, but if you endorse a post that assumes other posters are racist, misogynist "oul lads"...well it does at the very least raise questions about moderation. We had a very civilised disagreement on our interpretation of the Bar Council's statement on human rights (in China) and them supposedly "performing" certain ideologies last week, where I was defending the female president (shock horror). I think there's quite a lot of "performing" certain ideologies (and using that to 'go after' others) on the forum, with the KH thread a good example of it today.
    PM one of us if any clarification is needed, might be best not to derail a good thread.

No clarifications are needed and, like you suggest, I won't derail this thread any further.

Cole wrote: »
    Why would I report a post to be actioned when one of the (Radio) mods has already endorsed/given the thumbs up to said post? Anyway, I'd rather engage with other poster's views (agree/disagree). But what's the point when wild assumptions are made based purely on some kind of perceived socio-political ideologies of others...not on what they actually wrote.

Never suggested otherwise, but if you endorse a post that assumes other posters are racist, misogynist "oul lads"...well it does at the very least raise questions about moderation. .
    Two points to make here.

I wish people would report posts more often. When you report a post, it is really taken seriously. It doesn't matter a damn whether a mod had liked the post or not. The rules are very clear.

Secondly, nobody here is a "racist misogynist oul lad" if anyone says that, they will be banned.

On a related topic, forget about all that mod nonsense. We are all regular users and we are entitled to our personal opinions. 99% of the time, radio mods are posting in a personal capacity. Regular posters, entitled to private, often ridiculous, opinions!

If you want to talk about this, or object to it, PM me anytime. Now, can we for God's sake get back to giving out about Brendan O'Connor?

• Advertisement

Regarding vaccination for children, I imagine, in the long run, this might be introduced (next year??) to induce a greater amount of herd immunity.

Regarding vaccination for children, I imagine, in the long run, this might be introduced (next year??) to induce a greater amount of herd immunity.

Has anything been said about how that’ll be “administered”? As in, will it be a needle or an up the nose spray?

Had one of mine getting injections, MMR etc, there recently, will be a “hard sell” if it’s another needle.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Has anything been said about how that’ll be “administered”? As in, will it be a needle or an up the nose spray?

Had one of mine getting injections, MMR etc, there recently, will be a “hard sell” if it’s another needle.

Haven't a clue, Emmet, just pondering. I think I heard mention of a spray at one point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I really enjoyed Michael Harding's contribution.

I always find him interesting but he was on fire today.

There's a lot to be said for sitting in a room on your own and he has turned it into an art form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haven't a clue, Emmet, just pondering. I think I heard mention of a spray at one point.

I have no bother getting vaccine, and neither had the OH, but I wouldn't be taking my 3 kids to get the jab. For me, healthy under 18s don't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Harding spoke very well earlier about his deceased friend the actor Tom Hickey

TH was Harding’s best man for his wedding.

Radio on

“Lord” Henry mountcharles

Radio off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

7 minutes in and we have cancer.
    Can they not leave it out for the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

11.05, endured less than 5 minutes of Brendan before feeling compelled to switch to newstalk. Bobby Kerr on there, worse or as bad, radio switched off.

Thought it was a great interview, the man can’t help that he’s got cancer and it was more about Slane than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

11.05, endured less than 5 minutes of Brendan before feeling compelled to switch to newstalk. Bobby Kerr on there, worse or as bad, radio switched off.

Bobby Kerr has not got a voice for radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought that interview with LHM was great!

He's such an icon for my generation. And he was so positive about everything, in a not at all overbearing way.

But I was shocked to hear that the Bruce Springsteen concert I went to at Slane was only the 4th to be held there - I thought they'd been on the go for ever! :eek: Still probably the best gig I was ever at.

Sad in a way to hear his voice sounding older and weaker and more feeble than last time I heard it (a long time ago now), but great to hear him all the same.

He's such an icon for my generation. And he was so positive about everything, in a not at all overbearing way.

But I was shocked to hear that the Bruce Springsteen concert I went to at Slane was only the 4th to be held there - I thought they'd been on the go for ever! :eek: Still probably the best gig I was ever at.

So he was only 30 when the first gig was held - only a child :eek: Bless his vision!

Sad in a way to hear his voice sounding older and weaker and more feeble than last time I heard it (a long time ago now), but great to hear him all the same.

Now, can we for God's sake get back to giving out about Brendan O'Connor?

Nevah! Brendan O' Connor is God- wash your mouth out with soap you heathen!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I didn't see the article this piece is based on, but it is a very interesting topic. If what she says she is suffering from is fundamentally low self esteem then i'm not convinced that's as ingrained more in female than male, as they're suggesting.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

So he was only 30 when the first gig was held - only a child :eek: Bless his vision!

Yeah, from memory, Thin Lizzy was the first in 81, then The Stones in 82, none in 83, a riotous Dylan in 84. He's certainly held in high esteem - I hope he gets some sort of Presidential award (if there is such a thing) or Dublin city freedom or something if he hasn't already as he's contributed a hell of a lot to the "arts" in Ireland over the last 40 years

The "explainng the bleedin obvious" segment now by made girl Fulvio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Yeah, from memory, Thin Lizzy was the first in 81, then The Stones in 82, none in 83, a riotous Dylan in 84. He's certainly held in high esteem - I hope he gets some sort of Presidential award (if there is such a thing) or Dublin city freedom or something if he hasn't already as he's contributed a hell of a lot to the "arts" in Ireland over the last 40 years

Was at the stones in 82 and Springsteen in 85. Springsteen was the greatest gig I was ever at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bobby Kerr has not got a voice for radio.

he does have a face for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Why not get away from talk radio altogether. Because of the wall to wall covered coverage, I escaped from my lifelong addiction to talk radio. I never thought I'd be able to leave newstalk or Radio 1 but now I only listen to music country and western is my particular favourite. I feel much better about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I'm the same-it's nothing but COVID on RTE for the last year and change.

Among many other things, it's sheer laziness.

Eh what ?

Sorry now but what has he done ? Tell us more?

Other than facilitated gigs on his own property (which he inherited) and made sure to make big profits from them?

And as well He didn’t even discover new bands. The acts that play slane are lazy safe options.

Off top of my head Someone like Philip king of south wind blows and other voices has done far more for the Irish music scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why not get away from talk radio altogether. Because of the wall to wall covered coverage, I escaped from my lifelong addiction to talk radio. I never thought I'd be able to leave newstalk or Radio 1 but now I only listen to music country and western is my particular favourite. I feel much better about it all.

Got to agree with you there.

I would always have listened to talk radio during the day, usually RTE1 as I can't pick up NewsTalk where I am.

I honestly think listening to the misery for 9 months on RTE1 over the pandemic was as bad for mental health as lockdown was. At the start of this year I made a conscious decision to get back to listening to music again, just getting my news at 9pm on the TV (occasionally I would catch the odd RTE1 show or Last Word).

I think my spirits and mood have improved a lot since this change. Its not healthy listening to Tubridy do his misery slot, then Claire Byrne obsess over Covid, then more Covid on the news, then Joe's misery slot and then grumpy old Ray. The only break from the pain was Ronan Collins for an hour.

So I would advise more people to get the CD collection out, or stick on Spotify or an online radio station, there is plenty of choice online.

Life's too short.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Got to agree with you there.

I would always have listened to talk radio during the day, usually RTE1 as I can't pick up NewsTalk where I am.

I honestly think listening to the misery for 9 months on RTE1 over the pandemic was as bad for mental health as lockdown was. At the start of this year I made a conscious decision to get back to listening to music again, just getting my news at 9pm on the TV (occasionally I would catch the odd RTE1 show or Last Word).

I think my spirits and mood have improved a lot since this change. Its not healthy listening to Tubridy do his misery slot, then Claire Byrne obsess over Covid, then more Covid on the news, then Joe's misery slot and then grumpy old Ray. The only break from the pain was Ronan Collins for an hour.

So I would advise more people to get the CD collection out, or stick on Spotify or an online radio station, there is plenty of choice online.

Life's too short.

Agree with all of the above.

Lyric FM has never been on as much in my house as over the last year!

• Advertisement

This has always confused me. While he might of organised the first couple of concerts. And I don't know if he did.

All he is really doing is renting a venue to a concert premoter. In exchange he gets a fee, gets to run one of the bars , have his own "VIP area", and to the face of the whole thing.

Everything time the RDS holds a concert. The media don't go interviewing the head of RDS or acting as if they have arranged everything. They are just a venue. Renting itself out. Why does Mountcharles get treated differently?

This has always confused me. While he might of organised the first couple of concerts. And I don't know if he did.

All he is really doing is renting a venue to a concert premoter. In exchange he gets a fee, gets to run one of the bars , have his own "VIP area", and to the face of the whole thing.

Everything time the RDS holds a concert. The media don't go interviewing the head of RDS or acting as if they have arranged everything. They are just a venue. Renting itself out. Why does Mountcharles get treated differently?

I THINK the reason RTÉ give him air time is cronyism and simple laziness on their part

Usually there’ll be an interview and a few pr shots of “Lord” mountcharles wearing some tacky leather jacket to show how cool and with it he is....spare us...

in reality he is allowing a concert promoter to use his (inherited) land and facilities to hold the concerts

All for a big pay cheque. That’s the important bit

Yet some on here have him down as some great unrecognised Irish hero to the music scene

Isn't the family name Cunningham, and the house named Mountcharles.

Shouldn't it be Lord Henry Cunningham. I suppose it hasn't the same ring as Mountcharles.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Because he's a toff, and there's still an ingrained element of tugging the forelock towards people of his "class".

Isn't the family name Cunningham, and the house named Mountcharles.

Shouldn't it be Lord Henry Cunningham. I suppose it hasn't the same ring as Mountcharles.

Think his “proper” title is Marquess Conyngham.

He did great work keeping the estate, and castle, viable. Not to mention creating an incredible, outdoor, venue that can attract some, very high profile, international “acts”.

Slane is, by far, the best outdoor venue in Ireland. The sound at any of the others is, nearly always, terrible.

He did great work keeping the estate, and castle, viable. Not to mention creating an incredible, outdoor, venue that can attract some, very high profile, international “acts”.

Slane is, by far, the best outdoor venue in Ireland. The sound at any of the others is, nearly always, terrible.

Go on any of the Slane threads on this site and you will see hundreds of comments absolutely tearing into Slane as a concert venue

• Advertisement

The only reason high profile acts played there is because the promoter paid them whatever their appearance fee is.

Sorry now but Nothing to do with “lord” Henry or his field

It’s about money. It’s called the music business for a reason

Eh what ?

Sorry now but what has he done ? Tell us more?

Other than facilitated gigs on his own property (which he inherited) and made sure to make big profits from them?

And as well He didn’t even discover new bands. The acts that play slane are lazy safe options.

Off top of my head Someone like Philip king of south wind blows and other voices has done far more for the Irish music scene

He brought stadium levels of quality rock and roll to little olde Ireland when just a year previous, Bob Geldof wasn't even allowed play in a field in South Dublin.

He's also rock'n'roll so suck it up baby- we want our heroes to have titles, live in castles and be imperfect- you can keep your suit in the RDS whoever they are. :pac:

He brought stadium levels of quality rock and roll to little olde Ireland when just a year previous, Bob Geldof wasn't even allowed play in a field in South Dublin.

He's also rock'n'roll so suck it up baby- we want our heroes to have titles, live in castles and be imperfect- you can keep your suit in the RDS whoever they are. :pac:

What?

Look I’ve no issue with him renting out his field for gigs. It’s capitalism. It’s business

I’d do same had I such inherited privilege.

Just don’t make him out to be some sort of hero.

Just don’t make him out to be some sort of hero.

I will if I want to :pac:

I will if I want to :pac:

Go on then - you do that!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement