Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consistency out the window

Options
  • 11-01-2020 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I received a yellow card in the 'Flight 752 brought down by Iran' thread for this

Some seriously deluded posters on this site.

It was always 100% obvious what had happened.

Here's some examples of posts in the next 2 pages of the thread deemed ok

"Also, the people who think the Iranians deliberately targeted a passenger airplane containing mostly Iranian born passengers are equally deluded as the people who thought this could have been an accident." - No card

"For somebody with so many posts you have lost any credibility with this pedantic nonsense, admit you were wrong and be on your way to another failed crusade." - No card

"Forgot to switch your brain on I'm afraid Alastair." - No card

"Meanwhile some dumb retards here will blame the Americans somehow" - no card

"Your posts are so deluded its tragic," - no card

"haha go for a walk clear your head, its pathetic at this stage." - No card

"some people here seriously need to grow up." - No card

I could post literally dozens of other examples from this thread - but these were all posts made 15 minutes after my post.

Why is my post deemed worthy of a card when there are plenty of posts of a similar or worse nature deemed to be perfectly acceptable?

I have tried to resolve with the Mod to no avail.

Can someone look at this thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi FH99

I can look at this for you. Could you please provide (by pm or paste here) the pm exchange with the relevant mod where you attempted to resolve the issue?

I would note that I will be addressing your post(s) only and not any of the others that you mentioned.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I will forward the PM's - however if this is going to be the usual DR 'back the Mod' process it would be better to save us both the time and just rule on it now.

As regards not taking the other posts into consideration - what a cop out.

The whole point of this thread is that my post has been treated differently than everyone else's. If my post is a yellow card then so is every second post on the thread.

If I've been carded for using the word 'deluded', I found 2 examples of posts made 10 minutes after mine that used that word without any issue.

At least this tread will shine a light onto the selective Moderation that is going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have had a initial look at this. In the first instance I think you misunderstand how the moderation works on this site. The moderators are volunteers and act on behalf of the community to enable civil discussion. Given the ratio of volunteers to volume of posts it is not possible (or expected) that every single post is looked at by them. That is what the report post function is for. Where a post is not reported it is unlikely that it was ever looked at by a mod. Your post, unfortunately for you, was reported. The other posts you referred to were not.

Will get back to this later

I've heard that argument before and it is a complete cop-out - the posts I referenced are not buried in the thread, they are a very small sample of the posts made in the minutes after mine was carded.

Are moderators moderating the thread or acting as the hired goons of the easily offended?

The 'Report Post' function, if it's being used in the manner you have suggested, is nothing more than a license for people to shut down discussions and create some sort of echo-chamber or safe space with the Mods as the hired muscle.

BTW - How does it take over 3-days and multiple back and forths to look at a post and decide if a yellow card was warranted ?

You've had an 'initial look' you say - my post is 2 lines long and 15 words.

Oh, and it's not at all 'unfortunate' that my post was reported -that suggests some sort of accident - it was deliberately reported.

I'd love to see some of the on-thread posts of whoever did - no doubt you've had plenty of time to look into that though

Up to my eyes with work tbh. Looked at this during my lunch break and previously on the train home yesterday. I need to look deeper than a 2 line post. In the first instance to check whether you have followed the procedures as outlined, secondly the context of the post, thirdly whether it contravened the charter or site rules, fourthly look at your history to see if you have form.
    I also needed to review your PM exchange and discuss with the mod that issued the card.

If the process is not proceeding at a pace you are happy with feel free to submit a complaint.

Your attitude here is not helping tbh. Could you let me know if you actually want me to spend my time looking at this or are you just going to dismiss everything that is said to you and carry on regardless?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    or are you just going to dismiss everything that is said to you and carry on regardless?

I don't even know what that means TBH - I'm arguing my case, I though this was the correct forum to do so, - otherwise what is the point of this?

If I'm cynical about the DR process it's because I've read the other threads in here - there is a pervading 'Back the Mod and mark as resolved' attitude.

No doubt you'll pull something out of my post history to uphold this joke of a card - and then, even better, this card can be used to justify the next card I'm issued - win/win.

I mean the horrific alternative would be to admit that Beasty issued me the yellow card for no discernible reason - and we both know that's not going to happen.

I don't even know what that means TBH - I'm arguing my case, I though this was the correct forum to do so, - otherwise what is the point of this?

Your not arguing your case. You are just whinging about how boards is run.
    If posts are not reported they will not be dealt with unless a mod happens upon them. This is pretty unlikely in this case as the thread had descended into a whingfest where noone with any level of intelligence would keep reading.

In this case I am happy that there is enough doubt to lift the card although I can completely see why the card was issued. That said you need to be more aware of your posting style or you will end up here again very soon.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement