Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extractor fan installation question.

Options
  • 11-01-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭

Ok

I need to install an extractor fan in the ensuite. I have installed a vent tile so i am going to vent it out there.

a few questions

1. Can i run it directly from the light switch, this would mean the fan would stop with the light.

2. If i want the fan to run for 10-15 mins after the light powers off, do i need to run a extra cable from the main switch panel.

3. When placing the extractor vent , is there an ideal position or is it just above the shower the best place

4. Whats a good quality , quiet brand/model to purchase.

im not carrying this work out myself but id like to know whats best.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

irishgeo wrote: »
    1. Can i run it directly from the light switch, this would mean the fan would stop with the light.

If there is a neutral at the switch this would be an option, but now you would need to cable from the switch may be challenging to do this neatly. If upstairs it would be far easier to access the cables from the attic.
    2. If i want the fan to run for 10-15 mins after the light powers off, do i need to run a extra cable from the main switch panel.

Now you require a permanent live in addition to a switched live. Again probably easiest to get this from the attic.
    3. When placing the extractor vent , is there an ideal position or is it just above the shower the best place

Zoning needs to be considered. A mains voltage fan is only permitted in certain zones. All electrical work in a bathroom must legally be carried out by a registered electrical contractor due to the high risk of electrocution.
    4. Whats a good quality , quiet brand/model to purchase.

Vortice, I would recommend an ELV type.

Advertisement