Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

m2 SSDs vs SSDs

Options
  • 11-01-2020 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

Was hoping someone could shed some light on m.2 SSDs.

Im looking at buying a new laptop(i7 Core, 16GB Ram...) for programming and want a SSD drive as storage - 512GB ideally.

I see that some storage is described as "512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive" along with some other laptops described with 1TB +512GB (M.2).

Im not sure if the m.2 SSD better or worse than a standard SSD or if there is downfalls to having one?

Also, with the combition of HDD and M.2 SSD(1TB + 512GB) is this considered as SSHD?

Thanks in Advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Both have M2 drives but the nvme drive should be faster. However it may also be an nvme in the other one, just not marked as such. Look into it to be sure.

The 1TB + 512GB is just allowing you to use the slower 1TB drive as storage. If you don't need the storage space the 512GB nvme m2 should be faster.

For most people though in normal day to day circumstances you likely would not notice any real difference between a standard m2 and an m2 nvme. Depends what you are doing really.

SSHD's are different drives completely and slower, any basic ssd is better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

The combo of drives was confusing me so i wasnt sure if considered a SSHD which I dont want. I knew SSDs were far better performance wise but wasnt aware of the new implementation of them.

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dodgystats wrote: »
    The combo of drives was confusing me so i wasnt sure if considered a SSHD which I dont want. I knew SSDs were far better performance wise but wasnt aware of the new implementation of them.

Thanks for your reply.

You can only use M.2 drives if your Mobo has slots for them FYI. Otherwise you'll need a Sata SSD. M.2 is faster than a Sata SSD like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Inquitus wrote: »
    You can only use M.2 drives if your Mobo has slots for them FYI. Otherwise you'll need a Sata SSD. M.2 is faster than a Sata SSD like for like.

This.

I'd also add M.2 drives are amazing. Maybe one of the best changes for modern PC tech.

All Eyes On Rafah

some incorrect information in some posts here.

m.2 ssd drives can be sata or pcie nvme connections. you need to check whether your m.2 slot can take pcie or sata, or both.

pcie is becoming more common now and as said is faster. pcie also comes in different speeds. pcie X2 or X4. X4 being faster. sata m.2 is slower and cheaper

m.2 ssds also come in different sizes. 2280 is the most common size. (22mm wide, 80 mm long).

there are also 2.5 inch ssds that fit in the old 2.5 inch HDD slots. these are only sata

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Typically if the drive is sata itll be "mSATA" not M.2 which looks similar but is different. Buying in 2020 NVMe is a no brainer.

ED E wrote: »
    Typically if the drive is sata itll be "mSATA" not M.2 which looks similar but is different. Buying in 2020 NVMe is a no brainer.

Msata is not common at all anymore and you're unlikely to have that connection type/shape

CX1us7C.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that guide is misleading in the sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

M2 is just the form factor, you need to know if it's SATA or PCIex - SATA being slow and now old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Also, isn't NVMe a protocol not a physical form factor.?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Adyx wrote: »
    Also, isn't NVMe a protocol not a physical form factor.?

NVME = PCIE basically.

Advertisement